Zeekaice

Meat

Meh, I've never been a fan of bacon cooked in any way. I'll eat it, but my preferences lie elsewhere. You can have my share wink.gif

I'm a hipocrite when it comes to this. I absolutely hate how animals bred to be eaten are treated, but it won't stop me from eating them. Why? because I like beef and other meats. Most of the time, it's just easier to put it out of my head.

Or how about parents get on with their job of teaching children how to survive in the real world, and let teachers get on with the job they're supposed to be doing? After all, we as teachers are heavily criticised in some areas for not teaching what we're supposed to be teaching because we're too busy teaching kids how to do their weekly shopping bills or sew buttons on shirts instead. Yet the second we go back to being teachers and saying 'no, why doesn't your mum/dad/carer teach you that instead' we're the bad guys for not teaching the kids the 'important skills of life.' As ever, a lose/lose scenario and no-one gives a damn otherwise.

I agree, but unfortunately we can't force parents to teach kids (which is why there's so many problems with kids being taught about safe sex and such), so since not all parents are going to teach their kids, I'd encourage school districts/colleges/communities to sponsor classes that will teach people to cook to live. During my senior year (can't call that last year anymore... *sweatdrops*), one of the girls in my class didn't even know how to crack eggs or make toast, because her mom didn't buy eggs or bread. She was going to college the next year, and literally all she knew what to make was a bowl of cereal and a bowl of ice-cream.

She learned so much last year, and now, she's at college cooking for her roommates and LOVES it. If it hadn't been for my teacher, she would have never learned how to cook before going to college.

Right or wrong, it does happen, and I want there to be an option out there for kids who otherwise are going to continue to be dependent on quick fixes.

-K-

Snipped out a bit...

On the issue of cooking or not being taught to cook, my sister and I are examples of this.

I've always had a love of cooking (hence why I'm attending culinary school to become a fully trained chef). My family is also big on cooking, so I had plenty to observe and plenty of chances to help. Now I'm an excellent cook even without formal training. My sister, on the flipside, can hardly boil water and make instant ramen. Unless it's in a cup and you stick it in a microwave. I know that she won't be able to survive dorm life, and will likely gain the freshmen fifteen.

I agree that we should be promoting classes to teach students how to cook, balance a budget, and essentially prepare them for college life and beyond. I was very upset my my economics class didn't go into paying bills or federal taxes and other basic household economics.

It's not that teachers teaching, say, Biology should be made to teach things like cooking or the likes, but that there should be teachers who teach classes geared towards things like that.

But I'm afraid that's gone rather off topic...

On the subject of meat, I love the stuff. I love my steaks rare. And I love bacon. Oh god, bacon <3

I believe that a healthy, balanced diet can be achieved even with the consumption of red meat. But I also think that there needs to be more grass fed beef made available, rather than corn fed, as grass fed beef is far more nutritious than corn fed.

To those who don't eat meat for ethical reasons, that's fine, too. But do note that not all animals are raised in the sometimes appalling conditions of some commercial slaughterhouses. I have a great uncle (or is he a cousin?) who raises beef cattle for a living. His cows are spoiled rotten and I love them to death.

And they taste delicious.

Not to mention that the ground beef is lean, which makes grilling it a little tricky.

So essentially, we get organic beef for cheap. We have like...half a cow in our basement freezer and a half a pig, too (from the same relative).

His cows are spoiled rotten and I love them to death.

And they taste delicious.

I just pictured kila literally loving a cow to death then eating it xd.png DEATH BY HUGS xd.png

*cough* sorry

To be on topic I agree with kila's entire last post.

Grass fed beef is more nutritious then corn fed as I believe it is harder for cows to process the nutrients in corn. IDR it was only briefly discussed in health class but I think it was something like that.

It's more or less the fact that cows never evolved to eat a diet of corn. They don't digest corn as well as they do grass, which is more than likely the reason why hormones were used on them in the first place.

I'm against the use of hormones on animals. I'm a fan of more organic/natural foods.

The whole "processed food" thing doesn't sit well with me, really. I still eat the stuff because, sadly, it's what usually available. Processed chicken and other meat products included.

I do, however, make a point to buy free-range, hormone free chicken whenever possible. And hormone free chicken is what I always buy at the store.

Sadly with meat getting to be expensive I find myself turning more to venison hunted down by myself and a few others. Even fresh roadkill can be salvaged if you know what you're doing.

I sound like such a redneck saying that D:

Nuu not like a redneck, like smart, yes!

Wild game is amazing. And yummy. And a bit less scary than hormone-pumped meat

Not really.  unsure.gif There was 1 Home Ec class, only in middle school, and everyone WANTED to take it because hey, easy class and free food. Because of the period limits, it was generally only 7th-8th graders that got in, and even with two semesters a year it was a pain because not everyone could fit it in with the core classes and the electives they FORCED you to take, AND it was so full from everyone trying to get it.

And even if you got in the class, I think less than half of it was actually spent in a kitchen and they only taught very basic things like kitchen safety and many things that were really quick to make, as we had 45 minute periods (and say, 5 min to take roll, 5-10 for everyone to get in their stations, 5-10 to prep, actual work, 10-15 for cleanup, etc). So it wasn't even that good a class

Then your school sucks lol. In elementary there was a home ec class, but I took wood working. In high school you do a mandatory cooking class in grade 9 that's part of a program where you spend a semester testing each of the electives they offer, then you can take Cooking 10, Cooking 20, and Cooking 30 for the rest of high school as electives. This is kind of why I think additional workshops for cooking that are paid by taxpayers are ridiculous. I mean, you had your chance....

I'm not that big of a fan of bacon. I don't like it crispy, but I don't like it so that it's so greasy that it's a jiggling pinkish-grey meat blob. I just remembered that I really like breakfast sausage though, especially covered in Aunt Jemima syrup(maple syrup sucks).

Plus bacon is annoying. It's like shrinky dinks. You put on like 5 giant strips that fill the pan and you are all like MAN THIS IS SO MUCH FOOD and then by the end they are a third of their original size.

I've heard unfertilized eggs be considered not a type of meat because they are like the period blood of chickens.

edit: Does that mean that caviar is a vegetarian choice?

Edited by Syaoransbear

The science nerd in me hates the way the word "organic" is used everywhere in food, especially meat. But maybe that's because vitalism (an ideology of alchemy) used to be the way things were determined to be organic or inorganic.

The way vitalism describes the two is that while all matter is made up of the 4 classical elements, LIVING matter contains a 5th element, the life-force, and thus is completely different than non-living things, and thus, man-made compounds would always be inorganic and never organic, thus the easiest way to separate the two was that organic was natural and inorganic was unnatural. But when scientists were able to synthesize compounds that the human body naturally makes (like urea), the idea that there was a "life-force" at play making compounds within us that were fundamentally different than what can be made artificially fell by the wayside. Organic was adopted by scientists to describe compounds containing carbon (though some are considered inorganic for certain reasons.

However, now inorganic/organic is used to describe whether the animal was injected with synthetic chemicals (hormones usually) or not. Scientifically speaking, everything you eat should be organic, seeing as carbon is in practically anything that was alive or made from something alive, which makes it seem strange when people rave about "organic food".

I'm actually quite shocked that no meat company has used the scientific definition to get away with calling their meat organic... or at least none of the ones who have are very large or haven't been caught yet.

-K-

The definition of a word, at least in english, changes depending on the context. When talking about foods, organic means that chemicals were not used in the growing of said food. When talking about science, it means what you said. If all words were the same no matter what the context, then we would have a very boring, albeit easier, language.

The definition of a word, at least in english, changes depending on the context. When talking about foods, organic means that chemicals were not used in the growing of said food. When talking about science, it means what you said. If all words were the same no matter what the context, then we would have a very boring, albeit easier, language.

Eh, but the usage of the word stems from vitalism (which isn't a religious belief. Since it's an alchemical belief, it's more like a precursor to a scientific theory), which was debunked by science, so it's almost like vitalism is living on through the use of the word as a plausible theory when it has no place in doing so. It'd be as if someone were to tout that the Flat Earth Theory is still plausible after Apollo 11.

-K-

Then your school sucks lol. In elementary there was a home ec class, but I took wood working. In high school you do a mandatory cooking class in grade 9 that's part of a program where you spend a semester testing each of the electives they offer, then you can take Cooking 10, Cooking 20, and Cooking 30 for the rest of high school as electives. This is kind of why I think additional workshops for cooking that are paid by taxpayers are ridiculous. I mean, you had your chance....

Amurican education system sucks ya ya. We didn't have levels for electives either, it was just one class. o.o

I luuuuuuurvzzzzzzzz bacon. Haven't had any since I got to college but maybe I'll get some soon. Right now the only meat I'm eating is a couple slices of lunchmeat on a sammich and whatever I have in dinner.

Eh, but the usage of the word stems from vitalism (which isn't a religious belief. Since it's an alchemical belief, it's more like a precursor to a scientific theory), which was debunked by science, so it's almost like vitalism is living on through the use of the word as a plausible theory when it has no place in doing so. It'd be as if someone were to tout that the Flat Earth Theory is still plausible after Apollo 11.

-K-

You're telling me a lot of the stuff in our language makes *sense*? Since when did that happen?

*drags the thread up from the darkest corners of the GD*

So, I was recently reading an article in New Scientist magazine about eating Kangaroo meat. Kangaroos are often treated as a pest species in Australia, and to keep them from over-grazing, often a culled, and their meat goes to waste.

However, some people think that kangaroos would make a great alternative to chickens, beef and pigs. Since they have a different digestive system they produce less methane, eat less grass and drink less water, making them more environmentally friendly. Unlike cattle, they live in the wild, which many people say gives them a higher quality of life (and have less stressful deaths). They're also low on fat, giving them an health benefits.

There is some problems, mostly being ethical issues surrounding shooting females and accidentally leaving orphaned young who starve to death. But as a whole, I think they seem like a very interesting alternative to 'classic meats'. Wondering what you guys think?

So, I was recently reading an article in New Scientist magazine about eating Kangaroo meat. Kangaroos are often treated as a pest species in Australia, and to keep them from over-grazing, often a culled, and their meat goes to waste.

However, some people think that kangaroos would make a great alternative to chickens, beef and pigs. Since they have a different digestive system they produce less methane, eat less grass and drink less water, making them more environmentally friendly. Unlike cattle, they live in the wild, which many people say gives them a higher quality of life (and have less stressful deaths). They're also low on fat, giving them an health benefits.

There is some problems, mostly being ethical issues surrounding shooting females and accidentally leaving orphaned young who starve to death. But as a whole, I think they seem like a very interesting alternative to 'classic meats'.  Wondering what you guys think?

It says something about how exhausted I am that I'm sitting here thinking this over and can't figure out whether kangaroo would be kosher.

Bedtime.

ETA....It's not. I figured it out in bed and had to come back.

Edited by NobleOwl

Woo, meat. It can be pretty delicious to eat =)

While I'm not a veggie, vegan, and do not preach their dietary ways (take a hike Peta), I refuse to eat some types- like chicken. I had the displeasure of viewing the inside of a massive egg/meat production facility at one time, and it was scarring. Understatement.

Anywho, I pretty much believe that those who claim to be animal lovers and are against cruelty, yet refuse to see/believe the truth behind those meat facilities are hypocrites. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Despicable attitude to have.

I don't push people to become vegetarians-- I enjoy eating meat myself =P If you're a veggie, that's cool too. Just wish people would stop covering their eyes and actually see what they claim to be so vehemently against.

If you can stand the rather tedious and obnoxious pro-vegan campaigning in the comments section, there's a 5-part Youtube video about some chicken factories. It's graphic, so just send me a tell if you're interested or look up "Real egg industry". No it's not from Peta- don't like radicals =P

I'm a really picky eater who has a hard time trying new foods, so I'd rather stick with chicken, but I don't see why it couldn't be an alternative to other meats for some people.

That's quite interesting.

There is some problems, mostly being ethical issues surrounding shooting females and accidentally leaving orphaned young who starve to death. But as a whole, I think they seem like a very interesting alternative to 'classic meats'. Wondering what you guys think?

They also are good with not damaging land like regular life stocks.

Also they are delicious.

What's wrong with eating meat? All it is is... meat.

Well, it does come from living creatures.

Prepare for paragraph attack!

It is not so much that it's a living being for me. Yes, I would still feel bad. But it's the conditions in which the slaughterhouses and "farms" are in. Take a look at one of those mentioned videos, and you will see what I mean.

I'm a recently converted vegetarian. I used to love meat. But then I saw what they make chicken nuggets and other packaged meat products out of - meat paste. Think strawberry ice cream texture. It was just too much for me.

I still drink milk occasionally, but I usually use soy milk. As for eggs, I use free range eggs.

As for the big question - should it be eaten? I think yes, for some people, since people don't like change. However, I think the livestock industry should change it's ethics and instead of cutting the throats of cows, use gas instead or another way. The amount of land these places take up, and the amount of methane byproduct is mind boggling.

TL;DR: Eating meat started out to be natural, but take a look at it now... question where your food comes from.

It also may have been mentioned before, but I'll just say it. What do you think of the meat consumed in other countries? Whale and dolphin meat? Dog meat? How has culture ingrained in us that it's okay to eat this, but not okay to eat that? In the case of some countries, there really isn't an alternative with their way of living. But what about the countries that have the option for alternatives?

Also.. have you ever tried fake "chicken"? Quorn products make meat substitutes, and TBH they taste just like chicken to me.

Edited by toxicneon

Only meat I really eat is steak.

I just grab a good looking one and slap in it my toaster oven. Don't care where it came from, or which cow it came from. I just slather it with A1 sauce and NOM!