christmawolf

Accents

I'm all sorts of mixed up. German, Irish, British, African, Cherokee. D8 my German accent has a bad habit of showing when it doesn't need to and I happen to accidentally slip in English terms for other words. Like the infamous Car Park. >.<

my German accent has a bad habit of showing when it doesn't need to and I happen to accidentally slip in English terms for other words.

Hahaha, same here! And then people just look at you like you're a freak unsure.gif

Hahaha, same here! And then people just look at you like you're a freak unsure.gif

Funny story: I was on my way up to the train doors and I had dropped something. The conductor informed me and I went back to get it. Got back on the train and thanked him a little....in a accent. It was really embarrassing. Just looked at me and I went on my way. I also do a really impressive Chinese accent people say. Lol

I apparently have a strong accent, I mean, I don't hear it my self...but people tell me all the time.

I'm pretty well spoken for a Glaswegian 19 year old. I could be talking like a ned/chav. xd.png

I also have a lisp. Just a tiny one.

Edit: Actually! Judge for your self. I have some tutorials on youtube where you can hear me ramble on! (Ignore the fact I sound like a child sometimes...and my mini lisp...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/oOShaeOo?feature=mhw5#p/

Edited by oOnyaOo

xd.png Thanks, I try hard not to be lisping all over the place, specially in the vids. I'm glad you cant notice it.

xd.png Thanks, I try hard not to be lisping all over the place, specially in the vids. I'm glad you cant notice it.

That is a really nice accent! And you sound very sweet. And yeah, I don't hear the lisp either.

Um... I have an Indian accent. East Indian- Bengali- to be specific. I don't speak English much, so when I do speak it, it sounds stilted and very odd. I also tend to speak a bit slowly so that I can make sure what I'm saying is grammatical.

I always knew that there was more than one British accent, but I can't really distinguish them except for the major differences, like cockney vs posh. Of course, I don't have much experience with the varying British accents, either.

I always knew that there was more than one British accent, but I can't really distinguish them except for the major differences, like cockney vs posh. Of course, I don't have much experience with the varying British accents, either.

But "cockny vs posh" are simply ENGLISH accents. Scotland, Ireland and Wales all count as British accents.

That 'posh British' (as they call it) accent you see a lot on sitcoms is always just a posh English accent. Just English. Not British. There is no such thing as a British accent really. Just like there's no such thing as an American accent really as it's got so many variations.

That is a really nice accent! And you sound very sweet. And yeah, I don't hear the lisp either.

Um... I have an Indian accent. East Indian- Bengali- to be specific. I don't speak English much, so when I do speak it, it sounds stilted and very odd. I also tend to speak a bit slowly so that I can make sure what I'm saying is grammatical.

Thank you! It actually really makes me happy that no one else can hear the lisp.

Oh, I'd love to hear you talk normally. *language fangirl*

Edited by oOnyaOo

But "cockny vs posh" are simply ENGLISH accents. Scotland, Ireland and Wales all count as British accents.

That 'posh British' (as they call it) accent you see a lot on sitcoms is always just a posh English accent. Just English. Not British. There is no such thing as a British accent really. Just like there's no such thing as an American accent really as it's got so many variations.

I sense a pet peeve?

And yes, that's another bad habit of mine. Cognitively I know that Britian ≠ England, but for some reason my language center persists in seeing the two as interchangeable. Oughta work on fixing that.

Scottish/Irish is another I have trouble distinguishing between, and what is a Welsh accent? I don't think I've ever heard one.

I sense a pet peeve?

And yes, that's another bad habit of mine. Cognitively I know that Britian ≠ England, but for some reason my language center persists in seeing the two as interchangeable. Oughta work on fixing that.

Scottish/Irish is another I have trouble distinguishing between, and what is a Welsh accent? I don't think I've ever heard one.

You got me. xd.png It's totally a pet peeve of mine.

I got told off by an angry girl from Long Island when I said "I dunno. Just like, an American accent. Y'know?" and it's kinda been engraved in my memory now.

A welsh accent is dead funny. xd.png Well, in my eyes...er...ears. I love it! Just youtube "welsh accent" and you'll hear various different ones (again, different dialects for different parts)

To me, I cant really tell the difference between a lot of English accents (Though, I am a fan of the Yorkshire one as it's amazing xd.png)

In Scotland (stereotypically) we tend to be more sing songy about how we speak and pronounce our OCHs and our ARGHs more. Ireland seems more (stereotypically) nor as sing songy and no Ochs. xd.png But again, it very much varies form what part of the country you are from. There are different ones for different parts so it's hard to really give a set in stone answer. It is kinda close sounding though as we share a lot of history. C=

Edinburgh and Glasgow have VERY different accents (Glasgow's more guttural and Edinburgh is more sing songy and 'posh') and they're really not that far away from one another. Also, they all have their own little words (guess that's really world wide). Like Stirling, when I moved there, I was very aware of how much they said "Ye ken?" and I was a little "Um...what?" It turns out it means "You know?"

...but a lot of people were using it after every sentence. ._.

I'm from the east of Scotland, but my parents are from the west. So my accent is kind of mixed. What makes it even more detatched is that my Dad (from Ayrshire) was taught to speak "proper" at school (and got the belt if he didn't) and my Mum's parents (from Glasgow, originally near the shipping yards) were adamant that she would grow up speaking well.

So most of my word choice is from the local area, my inflections are a cross between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and I talk like a well-educated person with the occasional traditional Scottishisms like "aye" and "acht!" etc. although I can't seem to roll my Rs at all.

What's really funny is that when my little sister feels passionate about a subject, she always gains a very thick Glaswegian accent. It seems to come out of nowhere. laugh.gif

(I think the British/English thing ticks off every Scottish person.)

My accent. I HATE IT. :c

I come from Slovakia, so as a result my accent is um.. I guess "typical European."

It's not distinct like perhaps, a Russian or French accent is.. it's kind of the "Central/Eastern European accent," think Czechs, Hungarians and Polaks.. .

Oh God that makes no sense since my nation is like, unheard of but um. Yeah. It's an accent and it's obvious. :c

I sound like an immigrant even though I have lived in Canada for like eight years baaawww.

(I think the British/English thing ticks off every Scottish person.)

Not just the Scots - I'm English and it ticks me off as well. People insisting that British = English feels like I'm having *my* heritage and culture as an Englishman trampled on.

For those of you wanting to have a listen to some accents from around the British Isles I have dug up this link - http://web.ku.edu/~idea/europe/england/england.htm - from earlier in the thread.

I guess I would have an Australian accent, being an Australian (and if being from QLD makes my 'accent' any different, it's news to me). Though, I can't really tell the difference between regional accents within Australia, as to me, they all sound the same (aside from the pronunciation of some words). Then again, I haven't exactly travelled much, so the people I do meet from other cities have usually lived in my hometown for a while.

My favourite accents are the South African and Irish accents. I couldn't really tell which regions those accents come from though, as I've only come across two people with those accents (obviously, two different people).

I've been told I can imitate any accent successfully.

That's rubbish though.

I live in Michigan where apparantly we have a very nasal accent to a lot of people. When my family decides to go on vacation to another state people always know where I'm from because of the way I pronounce things (to, roof, refrigerator, etc.). People tell me all the time that people from Michigan sound wierd outside of their own state because they have a strong accent. I don't know if this is true to others or not because I'm native to Michigan and can't tell what the accent sounds like myself. dry.gif

I guess I have a typical American accent.. I don't know how weird it would sound to other people, as there's nothing special about it, compared to people from Boston, Texas, etc.

Do people from other countries think the typical American accent is boring? I sure do lol.

xd.png My friends tease me from time to time because of my southern accent. I never realized I had much of an accent, but I guess I do.

I guess I have a typical American accent.. I don't know how weird it would sound to other people, as there's nothing special about it, compared to people from Boston, Texas, etc.

Do people from other countries think the typical American accent is boring? I sure do lol.

I guess it's just nice to hear something different. I think my accent is pretty non existent and/or boring... but that's because I hear it around me all the time. For some obscure reason people state-side seem to think my Sussex/Lancashire mix is fascinating.

I feel that I have a nonexistent accent. blink.gif I'm from Michigan, do we northerners in America really have an accent?

But I just spent my weekend at the Scottish Music Festival in Alma, Michigan, so I spent plenty of time around laddies and lassies with Scottish/Irish accents. I think they sound cool. X3

Everyone thinks they don't have an accent. 's a fact of life.

I don't really like most American accents, although some Southern ones are okay. I think it depends more on the voice of the person than on the actual accent.

Indian (Asian Indian) accents always appealed to me for some reason.

I sometimes pronounce my E's a little too softy like they do in Ireland hell most of my words are soft I'm a naturally quiet person unless I'm angry and I end my sentences like a church hymn

my mircophone is busted or I'd put up a sound example but how does this sound from reading it?

I know my accent. The Texan Twang. My mom's side of the family is Scandinavian, but I don't have their accent at all. My dad always makes fun of me when I say 'little' like 'leedle'. biggrin.gif

I have a midwestern American accent. Of course I can't tell though. As far as I know, it's not very distinguishable from the majority of the country.

Where I work, I hear a lot of different accents. Mostly Hispanic, Middle Eastern and Indian. My favorite accent to listen would be from the UK (I'm not adept enough to really pick out specific areas).

I'm really bad at imitating other peoples' accents. So it's not something I try too often.