The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I'd like to change mine to #6 (if possible)

If you moved the other dragons, where would they go?  Autumn, Avatar of Creation, Guardian of Nature, Heartseeker, Pumpkin, Soulpeace, Spring, Summer, White, Winter would stay Life?

But what about the others?  Canopy, Frostbite, Harvest, Mint, Neotropical, Terrae, Vine

I could see several of those going into earth (Canopy, Harvest, Neo, Terrae, Vine) and possibly Water (Frostbite). It's not going to be a great fit in most cases of course, but that's one way we could do it. No idea about Mints though... they don't really seem to even fit into Life, to me.

Edited by silver_chan

Narrowing the voting for the new LIFE category down to the 2 most popular choices.

We WILL be adding the mana qualifier from Fiona "Of or pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects."

Now we must decide if we leave the remaining breeds in the category alone or move them, leaving only white, holiday, GoN, avatar of creation, and possibly seasonals and frostbite. I think mint, harvest, neo, canopy, terra, and vine would all move to EARTH.

Same choices, different numbers:

1. Make it ONLY about mana/magic, move LIFE breeds that no longer fit to other categories, and move all eligible holiday breeds here.

-

2. Add new qualifier eligible breeds, but leave current breeds in LIFE.

-pink, fiona, ladyb, husker, deb, cathie, silver, lavinia, rrattts

I think I'm going to vote 2 for 2 reasons. Yes, a lot of those breeds should never have been added, but it reminds me where we started. It's part of our history. And secondly, I'm too lazy to want to move all those breeds around tongue.gif

Edited by Pink467

I'm going to vote 2 as well. Partially because I don't want Pink to have to move all those dragons around. And partially because the Life category would be a little sparse otherwise. At least until we run through all the as-yet-not-elemental breeds with the new definitions in mind.

I think I'm going to vote 2 for 2 reasons. Yes, a lot of those breeds should never have been added, but it reminds me where we started. It's part of our history. And secondly, I'm too lazy to want to move all those breeds around tongue.gif

I'm so lazy, Lazy pays me to be lazy for him.

I'm voting #2 for that exact reason.

Yep. Let's go with #2. Lazy RULES! (After all, I don't want to have to go through my spreadsheet and fix all those dragons biggrin.gif )

I love this line: "I'm so lazy, Lazy pays me to be lazy for him."

I'll go for #2 - not out of laziness, but for the historical aspect.

Hah, I favor 1 personally, but I'll go with the majority and say 2 because it would be a major pain to have to rearrange everything to fit the new rules xd.png

I vote for option 2.

We can always have future individual breed discussions where we re-evaluate which category that breed should be in if they might be a better fit elsewhere.

Still rooting for Frostbite-in-Water, personally. wink.gif

Excuse me while I *squeeeee!!!!*

I've been trying to get an egg out of these two since last March! They finally gave me this!

Of course, now I have to finagle a mate ... but that problem will wait while I bask in the glow of triumph biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I've been trying to get an egg out of these two since last March! They finally gave me this!

Of course, now I have to finagle a mate ... but that problem will wait while I bask in the glow of triumph biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

congrats biggrin.gif

i have been trying with 3 pairs of mine for 13 mths now and still no egg from any of them sad.gif

put me down for 2 even if it is above my head unsure.gif

Narrowing the voting for the new LIFE category down to the 2 most popular choices. 

We WILL be adding the mana qualifier from Fiona "Of or pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects."

Now we must decide if we leave the remaining breeds in the category alone or move them, leaving only white, holiday, GoN, avatar of creation, and possibly seasonals and frostbite.  I think mint, harvest, neo, canopy, terra, and vine would all move to EARTH.

Same choices, different numbers:

1.  Make it ONLY about mana/magic, move LIFE breeds that no longer fit to other categories, and move all eligible holiday breeds here.

-

2.  Add new qualifier eligible breeds, but leave current breeds in LIFE.

-pink, fiona, ladyb, husker, deb, cathie, silver, lavinia, rrattts

I think I'm going to vote 2 for 2 reasons.  Yes, a lot of those breeds should never have been added, but it reminds me where we started.  It's part of our history.  And secondly, I'm too lazy to want to move all those breeds around tongue.gif

Lazy wins by a landslide! tongue.gif

Normally I only open voting when there's a new release but since I think this is going to take us awhile to sort through, I'm opening it now. If anyone would like to nominate a breed, re-nominate a breed, or suggest moving a breed to another category please post and I'll make a master voting list below:

1. Desipis

2. Magi

3. Black

Also, is the new qualifier easy to understand? Feel free to post suggested edits as well. The addition is in bold below:

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Edited by Pink467

Have we made a decision on Desipis Dragons? I have a bunch that are waiting for names...

Also, I'd like to nominate Magi Dragons for inclusion as Elemental due to the new definition of Life.

Breed Description:

Magi dragons are, as their name suggests, primarily magic users. They rarely use physical forms of attack. They eat anything they can kill, which is almost everything. They won’t kill unprovoked except when hunting, although they may kill humans if in danger. Their strong magic makes them one of the most feared breeds of dragons.

And from the Encyclopedia:

Observations

Adult Behavior

Being teleported is a good way to empty your stomach.

(No longer have issues after being teleported a few times.)

Travel in groups to different mana springs to replenish stores.

Able to go several months between visits to springs.

Capable of utilizing various types of elemental magics, although they appear to specialize in spatial magic (e.g. teleportation).

Diet

Appear to use a lot of energy when using more advanced magic.

Can “convert” mana to food by way of using spells to conjure edible things, but this is probably not a net-positive on energy.

Despite not being as physically active as other breeds, they must consume more food than most dragons in order to stay nourished.

(I bolded particular passages)

I vote YES in LIFE because:

1. They are a highly magical breed

2. Their teleportation ability is different from other breeds and highly significant to the Dragon Cave world

3. They replenish their magical stores from mana springs and are able to convert mana to food - useful since their use of magic requires them to consume more food than most other breeds.

Edited by deblogan

Well, I'd intended to do this earlier, but I have had a few things going on.

I wanted to go through the list of dragons that are not currently elemental and evaluate their potential for addition under the new definition. I haven't gotten very far, but here is my nomination for black dragons.

Blacks in Life (some of this information doesn't seem to have made it into the encyclopedia. Kitoxa wrote it up.)

1. Acidic saliva - part of the Life category definition

2. Have strong battle magic

3. Can use their magic to selectively strengthen parts of their bodies to be more effective defense or offense.

Well, I'd intended to do this earlier, but I have had a few things going on.

I wanted to go through the list of dragons that are not currently elemental and evaluate their potential for addition under the new definition. I haven't gotten very far, but here is my nomination for black dragons.

Blacks in Life (some of this information doesn't seem to have made it into the encyclopedia. Kitoxa wrote it up.)

1. Acidic saliva - part of the Life category definition

2. Have strong battle magic

3. Can use their magic to selectively strengthen parts of their bodies to be more effective defense or offense.

2 and 3 aren't in the encyclopedia yet, so I don't know that they should be used. IMHO.

For the Magi, I think they should be included in Life for the reasons listed. They are the definition of magic users that change their environment with their magic.

For Deps, I think they should be included in Life because so much of their being depends on magic - from defense to offense to food to fashion.

Too late to vote, but still want to say YES to option 2 tongue.gif

It only gives me a huge problem, the new (actually old) breeds 'll add to the mountain unregistered Elementals, of which I have already more than 1000 ;(

Magi to life 'ld fit, as the Despises, because both are highly magical breeds and their life depends on it.

ETA:

Is anybody collection PB Elementals.

I caught 2 Royal Crimsons today, but they are related. So I have a spare one:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/xZ6F2

It is due to hatch in 11 hours, so when you like it and have it influenced, just say it smile.gif

Edited by Zeldarax

Just to clarify, on the Desipis vote, I'm YES in LIFE.

(And these reasons were compiled *before* we had the encyclopedia entry biggrin.gif)

The Desipis definitely meet my understanding of elemental magick...

YES ... in LIfe

Because:

1. control and manipulate the minds of others

2. pulverize the sanities of their foes

3. forge false memories

4. absorbing the magic of others with the fire they breathe

5. converting it into the bright reserves of crystallized mana

6. using reserved mana to decorate their bodies

7. Their scales and bones are rich with their own dark mana

8. their heavy reliance on magic for everything other than brute force

Voting definitely YES on Desipis in Life for the reasons Deb listed! Man, I wouldn't want to meet those guys in a dark alley...

I am uncertain about Magi and Black, so I'm going to refrain from voting one way or the other on them for now.

Edited by silver_chan

It looks like the reason the added information on blacks wasn't in the encyclopedia is because TJ didn't care for it, so I guess I'll withdraw their nomination. Not enough stuff to nominate on. (quick exchange with the bossman)

Oh, voting yes on desipis and magi based on the reasonings given above.

I wanted to nominate purples, but the encyclopedia unlocked so far doesn't say anything about magic.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

*sigh* Shows you what kind of a week (possibly YEAR!) I've been having...

I *just* now noticed that this pretty baby is inbred *headdesk*

ETA: I put it up for adoption on the inbred thread and it found a nice home biggrin.gif NOW...to take both the mother and father and start separate lineages for them!

Gorgeous AP find, Zeldarax!!

Edited by deblogan

Voting is now closed to nominate breeds for inclusion in the lineage until the next new release.

Voting is now open for Desipis and Magi dragons until Thursday, Dec. 18th @9PM PST (midnight cave time).

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully (if you haven't done so already). Ideally I would like a breed to have 3 characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific 1part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

DESIPIS:

yes - silver, deb, zelda, cathie, fiona

no

MAGI:

yes - zelda, cathie, deb, fiona

no

Edited by Pink467

oh wow, this is still around?

Meepsa here, lost all details to my previous account so I decided to roll over a clean slate, if this is still on going I'm definately interested in starting over here again!

FORUM NAME: Dragorama

SCROLL NAME: Dragorama

TIME ZONE: GMT+1

Just wondering if my application came through so I can start naming and sorting my dergs tongue.gif

Pink, not to be nitpicky or anything, but shouldn't you update the Life definition? You've got the old one listed there. Under that I don't think Magi qualify, but under the new one it's different.

Dragorama, I don't know why you wouldn't be accepted. I don't think we've ever turned anyone away. (I'm not a thread mod though so I can't say officially.)

Edited by Fiona BlueFire