The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I see a lot of similarities between these and the Moonstones, so it seems like Fire would be a logical place for them, though I could also see the argument for Wind (due to the air/cosmos relation) or for Water (due to the Moon/Tide relation, though I know that's been argued against in the past).

Mmm, I think Moonstones were incorporated before we redid the definitions? And we're not really supposed to compare dragons anyway.

For my two cents, I think that Wind makes more sense than Fire because these dragons specifically have to do with the phase of the moon when the eggs are laid, not moonlight in general. The moon (or moons, in this case) may reflect the sunlight, but the phase thing has much more to do with cosmic things like how celestial bodies like moons relate to the gravity of the worlds they belong to.

Additionally, the Water category has nothing to do with the moon, it just relates to how the dragon interacts with water. I might consider it if the description or dragon information also included a clause about water and how the dragon interacts with it in each moon phase, if it seems significant, but for now there's absolutely nothing that says these have anything to do with water.

Tl;dr, I am putting my vote toward putting the Lunar Herald dragons in WIND.

Edited by silver_chan

I agree with the vote for Wind because they are so closely tied to the cosmos.

@natayah:

I would love a sibling of that pretty! smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

I agree with the vote for Wind because they are so closely tied to the cosmos.

@natayah:

I would love a sibling of that pretty! smile.gif

Since Lastalda was the one who posted, the egg has been sent to her. If she's unable to take it due to catching pretty new release eggs (which I respect I am doing the same!!), I am going to trade or regift it outside the group. Then Lastalda will be the first on the list for a future offspring.

If anyone else wants on that list, you can send me a PM or post somewhere in here. The line I consider technically "owned" by this group so people in it get first dibs on most offspring. Just post or contact/PM me. I understand ya'll are busy with pretty new eggs (I am too), but I'm not gonna hatch it for ya! Quite ok to prefer a future baby, just lemme know.

Additional information about the Heralds posted by LadyLyzar in the news thread:

Despite their appearance, Lunar Heralds only have two wings, and they are very delicate and thin.  The wings are covered in fine iridescent dust similar in composition to the powder of a butterfly's wing.  The dust is actually comprised of shed skin from the dragon's wing membranes.  It easily brushes off when touched and is believed to contain magical properties.  The dust is replenished the next time the dragon sheds its skin.

When the wings are oriented correctly to the angles of the moons, the iridescent powder gleams like a rainbow.  During this time, an illusion of multiple wings may occasionally appear.  Depending on the brightness of the moonlight, this illusion can be quite vibrant.

Lunar Heralds are not overly large dragons.  Their body size is comparable to that of an average horse, not including their wings, neck, and tail.  They are very delicate creatures and quite lightweight for their size.  This combination makes them quite fast both in the air and on the ground should they need to escape a threat.

With the exception of mating season, Lunar Heralds are purely solitary creatures.  They do not feel safe in the company of other dragons, since they lack any real defenses against attack.  Hence when encountering another dragon, they will usually hide themselves away.  If the dragon is another Herald, they will greet each other by touching their front feet together and then go their separate ways.

Every night when the moons are visible, a Lunar Herald will seek an open area to "moonbathe".  This is incredibly important for them as they draw energy from solar radiation reflected off Valkemare's moons.  Direct solar radiation from the daytime sun is too strong for them and can be lethal if they are subject to long periods of exposure.

Lunar Heralds breed at all times of the month, and the intensity of the moonlight from Valkemare's moons determines the color of the egg produced.  This color will remain with the dragon throughout its life.  Despite their differences in appearance, Lunar Heralds are accepting of all within their species - they are all the same, after all.

When the moons have waned or there is an extended period of heavy cloud cover, Lunar Heralds are forced to hunt instead of moonbathing.  However, this can be dangerous for them due to their frailty, so they normally feed on smaller creatures like mice and rabbits.

This makes me feel even more strongly that they belong in the lineage in WIND. They feed on moonlight, after all. One could argue they're eating light, so FIRE, but their tie to the moons of Valkemare is so vital that I think WIND fits better.

Every night when the moons are visible, a Lunar Herald will seek an open area to "moonbathe".  This is incredibly important for them as they draw energy from solar radiation reflected off Valkemare's moons.  Direct solar radiation from the daytime sun is too strong for them and can be lethal if they are subject to long periods of exposure.

Lunar Heralds breed at all times of the month, and the intensity of the moonlight from Valkemare's moons determines the color of the egg produced.

This one part of the description just really makes me think Fire is more a connection that Wind; But then, I think I personally see the moonlight as much more tied to light/fire then to the cosmos. I guess it really depends on how one considers the moon, since there's some apparent overlap.

Edited by IvoryDragon432

That was why I think and argument can be made for FIRE, but they don't eat just any light. It must be moonlight.

But it's not just about moonlight as a food, it also effects their egg colors. Also, if sunlight can be fatal, I'd say that all light plays an important role in their wellbeing.

This is also true. Something for us to weigh out and decide.

Also, if there anyone who is not stuffed to the gills with bronze lunar heralds and has room for an egg? I bred some things for trades when they were so hard to catch and overdid it. Now I don't have room for this silver x shadow alt egg. It can be a milestone or just held for me for later or whatever, but I don't want to just drop it. - Many thanks, Cathie.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

I think if sunlight is too harsh then fire would be too harsh too. It requires the 'cooling' of the cosmos to make it palatable for them. I'm still going Wind.

That being Said, as promised, there is a Prize Line I will be gifting here. 3SS Bronze Tin x Thunder. For example, a sibling of http://dragcave.net/lineage/LrnGI . Please leave a reply in this thread, and I'll keep a list somewhere so I know what to knock down and will do something to randomize who "wins". But you must be members of this Breeding Project, just in case some wandering person thinks they can sneak in!

Meeeeee <3 So pretty!

I vote that the new dragons' tie to the moon definitely marks them as Elemental, but I need to contemplate whether the moon is more air-y or fire-y. Leaning toward air for the moment.

Either way I need more >.>

Side note, do you guys have any idea how hard it is to type 'air' without adding another 'a' at the end? >.>

Edit: ahaha just saw Lastalda got that egg. Congrats! biggrin.gif

Edited by airaani

I still think that my argument about the phases of the moon being more significant than just any old moonlight an important point. I'd be leaning more toward fire if it was just moonlight period, but the information about the phases of the moon makes me feel like it's a cosmic thing, thus, Wind.

I still think that my argument about the phases of the moon being more significant than just any old moonlight an important point. I'd be leaning more toward fire if it was just moonlight period, but the information about the phases of the moon makes me feel like it's a cosmic thing, thus, Wind.

I agree with this reasoning.

To add to the Lunar Herald discussion a bit, LadyLyzar posted this in this release thread in response to a question about which mana they were planned to be

That wasn't planned out.

However, based on their connection to moonlight, I would put them as "Light" element.

Edited by IvoryDragon432

Meeeeee <3 So pretty!

I vote that the new dragons' tie to the moon definitely marks them as Elemental, but I need to contemplate whether the moon is more air-y or fire-y. Leaning toward air for the moment.

Either way I need more >.>

Side note, do you guys have any idea how hard it is to type 'air' without adding another 'a' at the end? >.>

Edit: ahaha just saw Lastalda got that egg. Congrats! biggrin.gif

Gotcha Airaani. Lastalda on next list after Lunars stop dropping. If anyone else wants, send me a PM. Or you can also post here.

Question:

Does anyone have any kind of notes when which breed was added to the lineage? (Prior to mid-2013, so anything older than the posts in this thread.)

Or at least the order in which they were added?

Even vague times, or records for a part of time, would help immensely.

Background: I'm trying to flesh out the older part of the Timeline. (Which now also includes links to additional info about breeds we added, if it's not already in the Wikia or Encyclopedia.)

I'd also dearly like to start a lineage (inspired by one of Pink's) that contains all our breeds (or possibly all sprites) in the order in which they were added... xd.png

Edited by Lastalda

Well, since I joined the lineage, back in 2011(?) most breeds have been voted on when they're released, so you could try checking the wiki. Magi are an exception, of course, but you'd have the posts for those to check the timing.

Whites were also added later. I can't think of any others off the top of my head that weren't added at release. Anyone?

In order of release, dragons I'm fairly confident were in from the beginning are: green, mint, vine, water, gold, grey, red, silver, stone, skywing, seasonals - that's 14. However, geodes came out before the first Springs did. I didn't join until Daydreams, Balloons, Sunrises, and Sunsets were already out, so I can't be entirely certain, but that would be my guess.

Edited by airaani

Waaaah so many pretty dragons with multiple colorings! It just occurred to me that if (when) lunar heralds are added, there won't be room in the all-inclusive leeloo for all the xenos AND all the avatars AND all the seasons AND all the nebulas (not required, but hey, it's me) AND all the lunar heralds.

Until we hit 7th gen. Wait, how many breeds do we have? O.O

Edit: counting on the front page, we have 60 CB breedable-together (non pygmy/drake) breeds listed, leaving out the hardest/least reliable to acquire (gold, silver, GoN, holidays, and prizes). However not listed yet are the Lunar Heralds (which I assume will, despite their 4 colors, be added as 1 breed) or the Xenowyrms. This puts us to 67 - enough for a 7th even gen leeloo! With a couple breeds to spare to leave out almandines, that one elusive xeno type, or the season that hasn't come around yet biggrin.gif

Edited by airaani

You're right! *excited*

(I just counted on the Mastersheet, and got once to 65 and once to 68, so I'm clearly too tired for this, but it should definitely be >64, even without CB prizes, metallics, holidays or a 2nd gen Thuwed hellhorse (and most players will probably have at least a couple of these, e.g., the more recent holidays...).

Hooray! biggrin.gif

I apply to add a 7th gen Leeloo Milestone! biggrin.gif (Possibly one nonmetallic and one metallic.)

Yes, I can see that I'm going to have to recalculate my all-inclusive plans with xenos and lunar heralds in mind. I'm not sure we can get xenos to reliably breed the other colors. I'll have to look up their breeding mechanic again. For heralds we just need to keep track of the moon phases.

I have a 2nd gen thuwed hellhorse, plus a 2nd gen hellhorse from a cb hellhorse. If Pink would be all right with those in a leeloo for others I can breed third gens for people. I'd just have to know what they want it paired with. If it's a 2nd gen pairing I don't have already it's easy enough to breed one.

I believe the xeno mechanics are, chance to breed themselves, chance to breed a xeno from the biome of their mate, chance to breed a random xeno. But don't quote me on that >.>

I believe the xeno mechanics are, chance to breed themselves, chance to breed a xeno from the biome of their mate, chance to breed a random xeno. But don't quote me on that >.>

I believe you're right, though.

I concur with the 7th gen leeloo. I'm still working on the 'mechanics' of the all inclusive. Every month with new and involved drops is slightly holding me back. Not that I don't love the xenos and the lunars.