dragonryaman

Mac or PC?

Are you a Mac or a PC?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PC. I will never own a Mac. I've never used one and I don't like all the iTunes stuff so I think I'll stick with my PC and Windows Media Player thank you.

Used PC's all my life. And actually, 95% of my computers have been Dells.

I've never used a Mac, and while I have seriously thought about getting one, I just don't think I would be able to get used to it.

I've been using PC's for like... 15 years? (something like that) so it would be a big change for me.

PC here, have been all my life though it's not something I really care or think about. The Mac commercials in every country come off as arrogant and self-absorbed.

I use a PC regularly. I want a Mac for Garage Band to record my music. I prefer PCs because of the specs for the price as compared to macs. Plus, I don't like apple as a company. But I do love my iPod touch <3

Used PC's all my life. And actually, 95% of my computers have been Dells.

I've never used a Mac, and while I have seriously thought about getting one, I just don't think I would be able to get used to it.

I've been using PC's for like... 15 years? (something like that) so it would be a big change for me.

I didn't think I'd get used to it either, really. I'd hardly touched a Mac at all before I got the one I have now (because my boyfriend needed another model, so I adopted this one, which was still brand new at the time). It was very strange to begin with, but it really didn't take as long as I thought it would to get used to it

We have two PCs. tongue.gif I have always used a PC, thats what I am use to.

As someone who had used Windows computers for fifteen years, I needed about an hour to get used to basic, non-program-specific changes on a Mac. With so many things we do moving into web browsers instead of on the computer itself, there isn't that much of a difference.

I'm going to disagree with that my friend. I have had both mac and pc. My mac's hard drive failed within the first month. They told me it was a product malfunction and they sent me a new one, only to have that fail when the power supply fried. I got my money back and used it to but a kit to build a pc. Now my computer runs just about any game on max, (except crisis but really, who can?), and it can react as fast as I can when I'm working on it. When I opperate a mac, it kinda feels...sticky, I guess thats a good word. Like shaving with a bowling pin is the way ive described it. If you use a mac, have at it. If you like it better than a pc, power to you. I'm sticking with my super computer.smile.gif

I own a PC, but I connect to my school's Linux servers to get access to a Linux system to do my homework on. So... both Linux and Windows?

However, I think I'm strange in that I do not trust laptops at all, and will not use a computer that I have not at least purchased all the parts myself (I don't trust myself to install liquid cooling systems, so I don't assemble them myself anymore). I've had too much trouble with factory assembled generic computers. And with laptops in general. I could PROBABLY make a toasted cheese sandwich over my mandatory-because-you-need-to-bring-a-computer-to-some-labs school supplied HP laptop. They overheat : (

Edited by Layn

Yes I do have a problem with Laptops overheating (my HP got so overheated one day that it just shut off and never turned back on again. Never got the time to fix it, it's still sitting in my closet), which is why I bought a laptop cooling pad, but it is still a pain. I don't have any room to have a desktop in my tiny room so I must stick with a Laptop until I can get my own place.

But yeah, I think that if I did buy a Mac, I could probably get used to it. But I know the ins and outs of a PC and I can fix almost every problem I encounter on one, so once I run into one problem with a Mac, I'd be screwed. tongue.gif

Also, random question, I heard that Macs rarely, if ever, get viruses. Is that true?

Edited by tikigurl91

Also, random question, I heard that Macs rarely, if ever, get viruses. Is that true?

Yes, for two reasons:

1) Mac OS architecture makes writing effective viruses much more difficult, and

2) Apple has such a small percentage of the overall computer market that most coders don't think it's worth the time to write viruses for them.

Macs don't get spyware either and don't crash very often (and when they do it's a sign that something is definitely wrong with your machine, NOT standard operating procedure as it is with Windows-based PCs), which are two of the many reasons why our professional studio relies on them.

Edited by prairiecrow

I grew up on PCs, so of course that's what I'm most comfortable with. I consider myself fairly competent on a Mac, since that's all our school has, but I like having a right click and knowing all the keyboard shortcuts. Also, oftentimes when I use the school's Macs, it seems like either Firefox crashes every time I try to open it, or the server is bogged down with other students on other computers simultaneously and I can't get anything done because it takes five minutes to save a file. rolleyes.gif

Macs all the way! They don't crash, I've never seen a blue screen, they are protected and are fast. I will admit, the change from PC to Mac took some time but once I mastered the Mac, there was no turning back!

My initials in real life are MAC ;D

but alas my laptop is a PC.

I very much want a mac though tongue.gif

Pc ^^

It's all I've ever used.

I'm used to them.

I feel like I get more for my money.

Problems on them are not hard to fix.

Replacement parts are easy to get and relatively cheap.

The games I like don't run on Macs.

Macs are far too expensive for me to /EVER/ be able to afford.

-shrugs-

I use mac, and I like it, but that's all I've ever used in depth.

PC seems good too. I want to get a PC because they're better for gaming.

ETA: On the Mighty Mouse you can also reassign right-click functions to the left side of the mouse if you're left-handed, which I call pretty dandy.

Incidently you can also do that with a PC. You can pretty much reassign all your mouse buttons on the PC if you really want to (which, for gaming, can sometimes be very hand).

I never gotten my own PC before, my school is a computer school specializing in macs.

i have 2 macs, (1 is currently ... ye), one is a normal macbook, one is a mac air.

O GEE I LOVE MY AIR SO MUCH QAQ, PLAYS PORTAL2 AND MINECRAFT EVERYDAY.

MAC MAC MAC, after 5 years of only mac, using PC is using s slow motioned computer now, QAQ.

the last PC i used was the old Windows 3 or 4 or something when i was a child.

BUT MAC ALL THA WAYYYY

I never gotten my own PC before, my school is a computer school specializing in macs.

i have 2 macs, (1 is currently ... ye), one is a normal macbook, one is a mac air.

O GEE I LOVE MY AIR SO MUCH QAQ, PLAYS PORTAL2 AND MINECRAFT EVERYDAY.

MAC MAC MAC, after 5 years of only mac, using PC is using s slow motioned computer now, QAQ.

the last PC i used was the old Windows 3 or 4 or something when i was a child.

BUT MAC ALL THA WAYYYY

A couple of things to note:

1, the operating system doesn't determine speed to that large of a degree. The time it becomes a factor is with Windows, after it's been used for a very long period of time.

2, When you hit the point that Windows is heavily slowing down your computer, it's usually due to a virus or a cluttered/bloated registry. There is software to correct both of those problems.

3, Windows has improved a LOT since Windows 3.1. If that was your last version of Windows, you don't have a good idea of how Windows is nowadays. If one compared them, 3.1 would look like a project for a high level CS lab or something.

4, With macs, it's not uncommon to pay twice as much for equivalent hardware specifications. Is it really worth paying $500 just for an OS?

A couple of things to note:

1, the operating system doesn't determine speed to that large of a degree. The time it becomes a factor is with Windows, after it's been used for a very long period of time.

2, When you hit the point that Windows is heavily slowing down your computer, it's usually due to a virus or a cluttered/bloated registry. There is software to correct both of those problems.

3, Windows has improved a LOT since Windows 3.1. If that was your last version of Windows, you don't have a good idea of how Windows is nowadays. If one compared them, 3.1 would look like a project for a high level CS lab or something.

4, With macs, it's not uncommon to pay twice as much for equivalent hardware specifications. Is it really worth paying $500 just for an OS?

I HAVE used windows seven a couple times in canada visiting my family, its nice, but i still like mac better.

I didnt buy macs so to play, my School is a computer school which used mac.

so either way i would have bought one.

Ok u might be right about the virus part.

I HAVE used windows seven a couple times in canada visiting my family, its nice, but i still like mac better.

I didnt buy macs so to play, my School is a computer school which used mac.

so either way i would have bought one.

Ok u might be right about the virus part.

Using an operating system a few times does not mean you've used the OS long enough to really know all the ways that it has improved. Odds are that computer had older hardware, so you're not gonna get to know the speed of an up to date computer running Windows. Finally (and this is a big assumption, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong), if your family isn't very tech savvy, there's a good chance that it's suffering from the kind of bloated registry/bloated software that I was talking about in my previous post. I can understand the school thing though. My issue is someone deciding that they don't like Windows and OS X is better even though they haven't owned a computer running Windows since 3.1.

BTW, if there's a game you want to run and it's not on Macs, look into Wine. It's a compatibility layer that will allow you to run Windows applications (not just games) on Linux-based OSs as well as OS X. I use that to use my CD ripping software on my laptop that's using a Linux distro.

Note specifically, that I'm not referring to them in this post as PC and Mac. Mac is a brand, PC is an object. Macs ARE PCs, it's just Apple's marketing department has managed to convince people that PCs are any computer that isn't a Mac. Mac and PC don't even refer to the operating system - you can run Windows/Linux on a Mac, and you can run OS X on other computers (assuming you've built what's called a Hackintosh).

Also, this is just out of curiosity, what is your school teaching? Is it a college? If so, what are you studying/majoring in? Unless you're going to be working specifically with Macs in your job (developing, support, etc), there are few reasons that an IT college would require the use of a Mac.