dragonryaman

Mac or PC?

Are you a Mac or a PC?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know how to work both, but I LOOOOOOOOOOVE mah Mac. Also, not to be rude/mean, but studies show that more intelligent people use Mac.

I know how to work both, but I LOOOOOOOOOOVE mah Mac. Also, not to be rude/mean, but studies show that more intelligent people use Mac.

Which can as much be an argument to the prevalence of assistance programs allowing intellectually disabled persons to use PCs as it is a suggestion that mac users are smarter.

And you do have to question how intelligent is defined. Is it by IQ? That number is somewhat arbitrary, it's not a measure of someone's actual knowledge. Is it the level of education? You can have very intelligent people who never get very far in the education system.

Most people with any programming capability are likely going to be PC users simply because it's easier to write to a windows system, which takes a respectable chunk of "intelligent" people out of the mac category.

smile.gif

I have a Mac. I'm not a gamer, and use it mostly for graphic design/word processing and to get online for simple stuff like e-mail. I just need summat stable and user-friendly (I am frequently impressed by the fact that the help function is actually pretty good for troubleshooting) and that I hopefully won't need to upgrade. I have no need for high compatibility with software or other computers, so a Mac works for me.

I am curious about hearing more from the PC users who said they hate using Macs. The pro-Mac folk stated what they didn't like about using PCs (even though a lot of those were more OS issues than the actual computer) but I didn't get a lot of info on the issues with Macs, other than compatibility for games and the pushy and/or rude fanboys/fangirls. I always am interested in hearing both sides of these debates.

PC, because I am so used to one.

However, we have Macbooks at school, so I use them at school. They're brand new, we just got them over the summer! And there for 7th grade ONLY. 8D

I usually bring my Acer Aspire One to school, but sometimes we all need to use the macbooks. Then I have to use one of those.

I've never used a mac so I've got to say PC. Though imagine I'd be annoyed with a mac solely because of the games not for it/not compatible thing. Not that I game a lot but yeah.

user posted image

This topic needs more Linux. Seriously, I'm the first vote for it? ^^;

I like Macs. They are pretty and neat. That said, I do not own one because 1) it is too expensive and 2) they do not run Windows-based games. Also, I would miss the right-clicks a lot.

I use Windows. I am used to them, they are cheaper, and I have games that run only on Windows. Otherwise, I would get a Mac.

I've tried Ubuntu Linux, and I really liked that as well. However, I would face Mac Problem #2 with it which is why I haven't ditched Windows for it.

I am used to my Windows XP with Microsoft Office 2003 (I cannot stand the later Microsoft Office versions since I cannot seem to find anything in 5 minutes or less). I will need a new computer in another year or two but am terrified of upgrading to Windows 7. I have read of problems getting Windows XP and earlier games to run on Windows 7. I'm not a huge gamer at all, but I purchased these games and would like to play them, dammit.

PC or probably Linux, can't say which one I like better. These two give me enough functionality so i don't realy need Mac for anything. smile.gif

PC.

Mac has issues with compatibility and I hate the mouse/keyboard, which look nice but don't function properly.

I have a Mac. I'm not a gamer, and use it mostly for graphic design/word processing and to get online for simple stuff like e-mail. I just need summat stable and user-friendly (I am frequently impressed by the fact that the help function is actually pretty good for troubleshooting) and that I hopefully won't need to upgrade. I have no need for high compatibility with software or other computers, so a Mac works for me.

I am curious about hearing more from the PC users who said they hate using Macs. The pro-Mac folk stated what they didn't like about using PCs (even though a lot of those were more OS issues than the actual computer) but I didn't get a lot of info on the issues with Macs, other than compatibility for games and the pushy and/or rude fanboys/fangirls. I always am interested in hearing both sides of these debates.

For myself the reasons I dislike Macs are:

1) Don't like the single button mouse (sucks big time for gaming - my mouse have five buttons on it for goodness sake),

2) With PCs I can build and upgrade my own. Not only is this difficult to impossible with a Mac, but it'll also cost you a lot more. Basicly boils down to with a Mac I'd pay a heck of a lot for a lot less performance that I would with a PC.

3) I'm a gamer, and games really *are* my biggest priority with a computer. A lot of games are not Mac compatible, or have conversions for the Mac come out months later. This is not a good thing in my view.

4) Would be those fan kids. I went from being "meh, I have no major problem with them but I don't want one" to "I really dislike Macs" because of the obnoxious fan kids. Same thing happened with Anime. Obnoxious fan kids really will make me dig my heels in about something.

I own both and even though I'm more used to my PC my Mac is extra pretty. Gotta go Mac.

What's with all the OS comparisons? A pc is not an operating system.

I vote PC.

1. I can build a PC, I can't build a Mac.

2. Upgrading is easier and cheaper.

3. I can upgrade it all by myself.

4. I don't have to send my PC away to be fixed if I somehow break something. I dropped my laptop on the sidewalk and broke the screen, so I bought a laptop screen and installed it myself for under $100. I'd love to know how much that would cost to replace a macbook screen.

5. Parts for PC are extremely easy to find and purchase.

6. I would never spend such large sums of money on technology that can so quickly become outdated.

Basically, PCs are infinitely cheaper and easier to buy, build, upgrade, and repair. I care about bang for my buck, not a brand name.

What's with all the OS comparisons? A pc is not an operating system.

I vote PC.

1. I can build a PC, I can't build a Mac.

2. Upgrading is easier and cheaper.

3. I can upgrade it all by myself.

4. I don't have to send my PC away to be fixed if I somehow break something. I dropped my laptop on the sidewalk and broke the screen, so I bought a laptop screen and installed it myself for under $100. I'd love to know how much that would cost to replace a macbook screen.

5. Parts for PC are extremely easy to find and purchase.

6. I would never spend such large sums of money on technology that can so quickly become outdated.

Basically, PCs are infinitely cheaper and easier to buy, build, upgrade, and repair. I care about bang for my buck, not a brand name.

Agreed ^

I used my school's mac computers that only we (seniors) are allowed to use. I hated it. Even the mac's mouse and keyboard were annoying. Now, I push some freshmen out of a PC and use it. *Hugs PC*

Plus, when I go to my other school in the afternoon (yeah, two schools. Bleh), I have to bing a laptop for every class. I asked if I could use my Acer Aspire One, but they said no. The school lent (sp?) me a laptop and it's an hp EliteBook. It uses Windows and we're forbidden from downloading anything from the Mac companny, mostly because the majority of the staff doesn't like the way their programs run.

Regarding the single-button Mac mouse, that's friggin' annoying. My school has those and it made it hard for me to do some assignment because I couldn't copy-paste the article. I had to type it. All of it.

Edited by Toki Mishidozi

Prefer a PC, for the reasons Syaoransbear said.

...and I don't understand what linux is doing in the poll.. its a os, not a computer.

Every time I've used a Mac, it was at school. :l Imagine that, now.

Needless to say, I don't use em.

I think they're both pretty much equally crap, it's just one is more expensive than the other. =w=

I've used a PC for as long as I have been able to use a computer, so I'm used to using it and prefer the PC over a Mac. I used a Mac a few times in school, but honestly, I didn't like it very much. =w=

Edited by Kuvera

Mac. I used a PC for the longest time, then a few years ago my boyfriend gave me his MacBook since he was going to get a MacBook Air, and I am never going back. tongue.gif

PCs/Windows

My problems with Macs:

• Macs won't run the majority of my games.
  • They won't run the majority of the custom programs I use that are floating around on the internet.
  • There is no inexpensive and easy way to modify/upgrade/repair one.
  • When they die, they die hard. Nothing with a Mac is a little problem. They either work fine or they crash and burn.
  • They DO catch viruses. When I was in college, the Macs we used for the school newspaper weren't allowed on the school's network because they kept infesting all the other computers with viruses and since the claim is that Macs don't get viruses, no one knew what to do with them. So they were all networked together, sharing the same viruses back and forth and given to the newspaper staff. They were miserable to work with. You'd do something in InDesign and sit there staring at the Spinny Ball of Death waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for it to catch up. You'd be typing in Word and have to stop and wait for the last several sentences you'd typed to appear on the screen.
  • I hate the fanboys, the "elitism", the cult of Steve Jobs, the whole aura of being a Mac owner that would be assumed of me if I had one.
  • I hate the fact that everything is 10 times harder, takes 10 times longer and overall just sucks because Macs aren't compatible with everything like PCs are. My college computer graphics classes took forever waiting for the Mac to catch up or because Mac wouldn't let me do something. Eventually I gave up and brought my laptop to class with full CS3 installed. I did all my classwork everyday on my laptop and then just transfered the final file over to the Mac so I could save it to our network folders for the class. So much easier and frustration free.
  • I've had the majority of the problems
    . I actually found that video while searching the internet for a way to move the dock to the top of the screen so it would stop interfering with me editing the bottom of a page in InDesign. (My favorite parts are the boat anchor and the update manager.)
Now, with a PC:
  • I rarely have to check program compatibility unless I'm looking at a game's system requirements.
  • I can fix any problem for under $100 (under $50 if it's not the LCD screen) and about two hours of my time.
  • The Toshiba laptop I bought in October 2006 exceeded the specs of the 13" Macbook Pros I was trying to sell during my brief time working in a campus Apple Store in April 2009. The Toshiba was also cheaper.
  • The only time I ever thought I had a virus turned out to be a dying hard drive. I download Avast for free on every new computer I buy and then once a year I type in the new product code. No viruses, no money. I can honestly say I've never actually had a virus and I've had computers my entire life. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 that had no idea what Windows even was. I was five when my father gave it to me. Using it was a joint effort between me and my mother. I knew how to use it, she could read the screen.
  • I can modify not only my PC hardware but Windows itself to do whatever I want it to do.
  • My 6 month old HP laptop has better specs than the top of the line Macbook Pro and only cost $550.
  • The Windows Start Bar is stationary. It doesn't move. It doesn't shrink and expand. It doesn't suddenly interfere with a program should my cursor happen to get too close. It sits there patiently and waits for me to click on it. As it should.
  • Windows 7 is light, fast and easy to use. So far I've found two programs that aren't compatible: a GameHouse game called Wonderburg and the software for my mp3 player. My mp3 player software was never Mac compatible. Luckily, there are many free music programs that have sync capabilities for my mp3 player. The one I'm using also happens to not be Mac compatible.
Edited by Paradiso