Dr. Paine

Hello, I haven't watched any of season 4 and I'm not sure I will. LoK has been generally disappointing for me :C

About airbending though: okay you have to realize that air is everywhere and can be controlled from a distance. You can instantaneously murder anyone with airbending in a variety of very gruesome ways, and that's not even including what Zaheer did to the Earth Queen. It's just that the monks realized this and decided not to use all that power. Which is precisely why Zaheer was so terrifying - he was an extremely powerful airbender who wasn't connected to them and didn't share their morals.

Another joke, I see. Amon is a waterbender and practices the subskill of bloodbending or really bending the liquids in the body. And he passed away after that explosion. I doubt we'll ever see him again. And people don't change their affinity for a certain element. Although I was shocked and angry about lavabending. That's just a lazy way of increasing the power and extent of earthbending.

Not really. Lava is technically earth, just as blood is technically water, just in a different form. Lightning is just as deadly as lava, if anything lightning is worse since it can be done so quickly

Well, I'm not saying lava isn't earth but in my opinion, it would require fire to ignite the earth to become hot and in liquid form. I think that requires firebending to add heat, that is why only the Avatar has been seen lavabending until now. Anyway, I'm still happy for Bolin to learn the subskill and I would want Ghazan to be his teacher if it weren't only for the latter being in the side of Zaheer. Ghazan's not really bad. I'd like the teacher-student relationship.

Waterbenders can change water from solid to liquid form without needing to use firebending to heat it. It'd take more power to change rock from solid to liquid, which is probably why lavabenders are so rare.

Waterbenders can turn ice to water without needing an external temperature source. Lava is liquid earth. It's just significantly harder because the temperature shift is much larger.

Ghazan was the least interesting member of the Red Lotus for me, tbh. He could lavabend and that made pretty colours, sure, but he was mediocre at it at best and was terrible at regular earthbending. Bumi hopped on his head and he couldn't do anything about it for like twenty seconds even though earthbenders are supposed to be rooted and aware. Even with his lavabending it was mostly just... him throwing it at people and winning because it's literally too hot to handle. There was nothing particularly creative about it at all.

It was the best recap ep I've seen in ages! The middle section was a bit meh but the korrsami is always nice, but chibi Wu and Mako was the best part, and varrick is always amazing.

I didn't mind the episode. I thought it was fun and interesting.

also the Korrasami was so real, ya'll don't even know, my poor shipper heart is goin' a mile a minute

Every second of Korra and Asami interaction just makes me need to see their relationship made canon that much more. ;~; It huuuuuuurts, they're so cute. ;~;

The recap episode wasn't bad, but for a show where a season is so short I don't really want any filler episodes at all, especially not in the final season. ATLA could afford one every once in a while, LoK can't, in my opinion. D:

I believe they had the recap episode because Nick slashed their budgets so much that they didn't have much of a choice.

Edit: Sock, RIIIIGHT???? UUGHHH

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

I was a little shocked and dissapointed when I found out it was a clip show. But that quickly changed with Chibi Wu and Mako's family... the banter!

OOOOOH my goooooosh

Someone on tumblr met the voice actor for Wu and he supports Wuko and Korrasami, awww. ;~;

OOOOOH my goooooosh

Someone on tumblr met the voice actor for Wu and he supports Wuko and Korrasami, awww. ;~;

Yaaaaayy!!! biggrin.gif Janet Varney, the voice actor for Korra, supports/ships Korrasami too!!

Yaaaaayy!!! biggrin.gif Janet Varney, the voice actor for Korra, supports/ships Korrasami too!!

Oh, yes, I do remember reading that, too! Totally needs to be canon by now. ;~;

Janet Varney - that reminds me, you can buy some cool autographed stuff at her page: http://janetvarney.com/the-legend-of-korra/ If anybody is looking for a Christmas gift for a friend (or for yourself!). (A Naga necklace!) =3

(Shoot, you could get a poster for free not too long ago. I think someone publicized that too much and maybe she got too overwhelmed to do it for free anymore. D: )

The recap episode wasn't bad, but for a show where a season is so short I don't really want any filler episodes at all, especially not in the final season. ATLA could afford one every once in a while, LoK can't, in my opinion. D:

I believe they had the recap episode because Nick slashed their budgets so much that they didn't have much of a choice.

Edit: Sock, RIIIIGHT???? UUGHHH

yeah it was because of Nick slashing the budget. i linked bryan's statement on it a few posts ago.

luv that korrasami.

Edited by Switch

Not enough Korrasami this episode, but I liked it. I sort of expected Zaheer wouldn't actually try to stop Korra... he looked a lot like Iroh when he got stuck in prison.

But also nice to see Opal and Lin getting along and I hope Bolin can win her back!

And nice to see Asami dishing out the hurt.

Well, I'm not saying lava isn't earth but in my opinion, it would require fire to ignite the earth to become hot and in liquid form. I think that requires firebending to add heat, that is why only the Avatar has been seen lavabending until now. Anyway, I'm still happy for Bolin to learn the subskill and I would want Ghazan to be his teacher if it weren't only for the latter being in the side of Zaheer. Ghazan's not really bad. I'd like the teacher-student relationship.

If you remember the opening of the last airbender, the unnamed fire avatar is seen lava bending. In one of the sidenotes, they state fire and earth are needed for it to be as effective as seen there.

I'll just say the phase change in water is more of a physical change. There wasn't any heat transfer seen. In lava, there is heat transfer. If they will make lavabending possible for earthbenders, then that means waterbenders making boiling water should be possible too.

My argument is boiling water isn't possible with only waterbending. Fire is required. Then it goes that fire is needed to make lava. Ghazan lavabending looks a lot like firebending from afar.

I went to get dvd today to find out date was push toward next year. So look like I going to have to wacth it online an till it come. I hate when they do that. The dvd should had come out today but the push forward to 28/1/15. For DVD book 3. And I was really look forward to that DVD I evey had money for it too.

I'll just say the phase change in water is more of a physical change. There wasn't any heat transfer seen. In lava, there is heat transfer. If they will make lavabending possible for earthbenders, then that means waterbenders making boiling water should be possible too.

My argument is boiling water isn't possible with only waterbending. Fire is required. Then it goes that fire is needed to make lava. Ghazan lavabending looks a lot like firebending from afar.

I always thought Lava Bending was just an earth bender compressing and agitating the particles of earth together with such intensity that the resulting friction produces enough heat to melt the stone and form, well... lava.

Edited by Brotato

You're all saying fire is required for lavabending, but bolin isn't a fire bender so that puts your theory into question. I think Brotato is right, external temperatures sources (e.g. fire) aren't needed to change one bodies state of matter, its a matter of pressure, which is how the water benders can turn water into ice. They compress the molecules to form ice and that has the side effect of producing an endothermic reaction making it cold as well. And if you recall what toph did when first metal bending she focused on the particles of earth in the metal. This would probably be the same for lavabending, you focus on the smallest particles (the atoms) and separate their bonds, transforming the solid earth into a liquid. I doubt you could make a gas though because there wouldn't be enough attraction between the positive and negativly charged molecules to control the element as a cohesive mass. That would fall into the range of the airbenders.

Technically, heat IS used when converting water to ice. It's simply the absence of the heat that drives the temperature to allow water to change states. The heat is taken away, whereas with earth bending it is applied. Doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

Firebenders are able to convert the heat into a plasma state, unlike the other benders who can only use energy to affect their particular element. I'm sure airbenders are able to control cold and warm air currents as well.

What i'm saying is that if you apply enough pressure (and I believe the benders can do that directly with the molecules) the substance will change its state of matter without needing something cold or hot to do it. But slowing/increasing the movement rate of the atoms produces either an endo/exothermic reactiong which is why its cold or hot.

biggrin.gif Ah... Thank you, guys for those reasoning and for giving me some other ways of seeing it. I appreciate all these healthy arguments. Anyway, I will stop the argument with lavabending and just sulk with disappointment enjoy as I watch the new episodes.