Dr. Paine

So I watched a review of the teaser for the next (and final, IIRC?) book and finally am bringing up my thoughts here.

Possible SPOILERS not sure how accurate they are.

I've heard they're going to keep the couples broken up. Apparently there's been a lot of complaints about all the romances so the next season is going to stay away from relationships. I wouldn't mind romantic relationships if the show could actually handle them well and they didn't take everything else over. >_> So I'm kinda relieved to hear they're just going to avoid it.

I've also heard that the Korra/past lives separation is going to stick, which I really don't like. I understand moving Korra in another direction but... It just doesn't feel like Avatar to me without that. I vaguely remember the review saying Korra could still get help in some ways, but wouldn't be connected to her past lives. I guess we'll have to see how it goes. >.>

I've seen a lot of guesswork with people thinking we'll finally get to see Zuko, but that's complete postulation on their end due to a character we see for like two seconds possibly having a darker sided face matching up with Zuko's scar and that he's riding a dragon. Not sure if I believe it, but I will be super disappointed if we don't get to see Zuko, since besides Katara he's the only one of the GAang still alive. And they already brought Bosco back for Iroh II's voice. xP

ugh i hope they keep it away from the romance at this point

nobody even liked it in season 1 why did they think it was a good idea to bring it back in season 2

at this point i just want the 3rd season to be good i mean looking back im disappointed with 1 and 2 in general

Edited by Switch

One: Well, Raava never mentioned that they can't be separated under any circumstances, so I guess only something as powerful as Vaatu could.

Two: That's because bending appears to be a thing that's more genetics than spiritual. So if that's right, Korra would have gotten her multi-bending ability at birth. She would have lost her spiritual connection but the bending remains hers, so she becomes no more than an average multi-bender. Not to mention Wan got the bending powers on his own, rather than when Ravaa joined with him.

Three: I have no idea but maybe Korra needed a reminder that there is no light without dark and vice versa. And I peg Jinora as an exceptional spiritual person, just like how there are some exceptional waterbenders that can blood bend.

Last: Well, it is a lore (never fully confirmed as fact) and like in real life there are lots of contradicting lore as well. Perhaps they were very isolated and they were the only benders for generations so they all just assumed.

Um, I hope these help? Just how I see things.

Just a reply.

One, well nothing much to add to that.

Two, well, come to think of it, that scene where Korra airbent is still accurate. Your explanation kind of helps. It's that perhaps Raava's energy was already combined with Korra so she doesn't need Raava to bend more than one element. Wan just merged with Wan's energy then went out of his body so that he can learn the other elements. So, I guess it's not really much genetics although genetics could play some parts regarding bending.

Three, user posted image I still think I like the story of Oma and Shu. As well as the explanation that the moon was the first waterbender, due to the high tide and low tide phenomenon.

What is going on on Korra? I didn't see all of this season. She can't connect with the past avatars anymore? When, how and why did that happen on in which episode?

When does the next season start?

The romance did begin to take over the shows which wasn't ood, but avatars are as powerful as they are because of the connection they have to their past lives. Until Aang mastered the trick he was not a fully functioning avatar in the first series.

@MintLover: It happened on the last two episodes of Book Two: Spirits (神灵)

I hope that the White Lotus does not play a large role in season 3. In season one, they seemed little better then minions, they where the expendables, there was nothing remarkable about them. I do want to learn more about them, but from what I have seen, the writes do not think highly of the White Lotus. Hopefully this will change with more writes, but I don't have high hopes.

If they do avoid romance, it will be interesting. I don't mind romance, long as it is not like in season one. Good romance takes time to develop.

What I really wanna see is the Fire Nation when it is at peace with the rest of the world. I want to know how the are moving forward, and how their technology has advanced. I also have my fingers crossed for a sub-skill in Airbending.

I think M and B did too much "for the fans" in the first season. They knew that people liked romance, so they added lots of that. Catering TOO much towards the fan-base is never a good idea. On the other hand, completely ignoring the fan base can also be disastrous.

I think that cutting Korra from her past lives opens up lots of new possibility, both for her and future Avatars. I am excited to see where they are going with this.

I also have this dim hope that the writers will at least acknowledge in-series that the Equalists' movement actually happened. It doesn't have to be much. It could be small as an old, tattered Equalists poster in a garbage dump in the background, something that only the fans who are paying attention will notice.

@MintLover: Next season starts in summer.

Possible Spoiler

Ok so cause I can't control myself I read some reports on some leaked season 3 episodes...

TO MUCH

I was looking forward to more Lin screentime (tons of it!!) but half of the time Lin (queen of my heart) will be sad. I can't take all this Beifong DRAMA sad.gif

i couldn't really find any organized leaks so i don't really know much about what's going on besides the basic stuff so im kind of withholding my opinion on everything until it airs

i just want it to be not mediocre. please.

Oi! Trailers leaking over Youtube.

I don't know but somehow I got the impression that there will be more airbenders. Don't know how that will happen. The Air Alcolytes seemed erm, spiritual perhaps?

wow im actually really hyped! i thought the first three episodes were really enjoyable i just hope it stays that way

^ Sooooo much better than I expected after the flop the show has been overall!

Asami and Korra are so kyoot bonding and showing off for each other. o.o If there was one romance I would accept, it would be this one. x3

I am liking Bolin sooo much better this season! And they seem to be trying to give Mako a likeable trait or two as well. Heck, even the creepy Water Tribe twins were so much cooler.

I really enjoyed meeting Mako and Bolin's family! I love the subtle discussion of immigration and multiethnic families this had. So sweet. <3

WE FINALLY SEE ZUKO but really disappointed that they didn't just get Basco to voice him. He's just not him with the raspiness. I do not feel like General Iroh II had the raspy quality to his voice, so I think it really would have been fine having Basco come back on as Zuko. =(

Very interested in who this gang of villains is. They seem promising.

I really do like that they're bringing airbenders back. I think it might actually make up for disconnecting from all the past Avatar lives. o3o

Kai is an interesting kid. I hope he develops some and finds a balance between street rat and responsible citizen. ;3

Jinora and Kai are just adorable, too. o.o

I further like seeing more of Jinora and getting to watch her teach!

BUT on that, they really should have thought harder about what making the new airbenders completely uproot would mean. I think it's an interesting commentary on assimilation, though. I do hope they figure something out so that they can pass on some airbender culture without making people change their whole culture.

And I must say that watching their faces on the map was hilarious!

"You won't have to worry about worldly possessions anymore because you won't have any!"

"Your best friend will be a giant bison!" "Who doesn't want a bison to be their best friend?"

Oh, Tenzin, this made you like 10x more likeable IMO.

The Earth Queen was sooo weird. On one hand, good for her for being more aware than the Earth King we knew, but on the other hand, yowza. Enjoying the continuing critique on capitalism, though, with taxes and showing us more of the Lower Ring.

So yeah, lots of stuff going on and I'm excited to see where it goes. o3o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Comments on the Second Season: Spirits. I don't see how Korra's human spirit is separated from the other Avatars. I thought as reincarnation, they'll be inseparable but it seems that Raava is like the "glue" that holds the individualast lives together into the current Avatar.

Also, I wanted to know about Varrick during the Equalist Revolution

---

Regarding new season, yes, I'm also excited in seeing Zuzu but I thought it was going to be Bosco who'll be voicing him then realised that he'll be voicing Iroh. Which made me confused. Now that I read Sock's comment... Oh...

Hmm, and Combustion Man! Another like him will appear! ohmy.gif Seriously, where do they get that Cyclops tattoo?

Watched the first two episodes, and boy were they great. I don't know if it is the writers or what, but this season of Korra so far is the best yet. The epic adventure feeling of Avatar The Last Airbender is back, and the characterization is improving. I love Zaheer's voice. Mako became one of my favorites in book two, and he continues to get more character.

Yeah the third season is amazing! The amount of character progression in the first three episodes alone is enough to blow my mind away. HUGE props to Bryke and the rest of the writers, it's amazing. And it definitely resembles the adventurous feeling we got from ATLA. The band of criminals are extremely intriguing and I am very excited about them. AND KAI IS MY NEW ABSOLUTE FAVORITE HE'S SO ADORABLE OMG. Also, I love seeing Korra and Asami's friendship so strong.

*Slight Spoiler Below VV:*

Also, I watched the next 3 episodes that were leaked in Spanish, and let me just say this: the season is so very promising and there is so much depth and meaning in the characters, especially with the Beifong family, is AMAZING.

Edited by tinakhal

dry.gif Why all attention to Mako? All the girls love Mako. Sure, I like Mako too but what about Bolin? tongue.gif He's funny, witty and obviously talented both in acting (more like getting in character though) and earthbending.

smile.gif Yes, I'm liking Bolin every episode.

For comments regarding the newly forming Air Nation, ohmy.gif I was a bit shocked as Air was the only Nation not to have villains, hard-core villains. Air also is the element with not much special techniques. Now, I'm quite disappointed to see Zaheer. *sigh*

And as always, most talented benders with special bending techniques go bad. At least Toph and Iroh isn't. (I mean the one who started the special technique. So the secondary ones like Zuko, Katara, Korra doesn't count.) Hama, Unalaq and now the female waterbender with no limbs. sad.gif Always water isn't it?

For comments regarding the newly forming Air Nation, ohmy.gif I was a bit shocked as Air was the only Nation not to have villains, hard-core villains. Air also is the element with not much special techniques. Now, I'm quite disappointed to see Zaheer. *sigh*

And as always, most talented benders with special bending techniques go bad. At least Toph and Iroh isn't. (I mean the one who started the special technique. So the secondary ones like Zuko, Katara, Korra doesn't count.) Hama, Unalaq and now the female waterbender with no limbs. sad.gif Always water isn't it?

It's hard to judge "special techniques" for the Air Nomads because we really only saw Aang and snippets of other people every now and then. And Aang did awesome things with airbending - he was a master really young. And we know he created the travelling air ball thing - that's a special technique, isn't it? o.o

As for the second one, well, ambitious people willing to work hard with little morals often to accomplish 'great' things. Did I miss what the waterbender villain did? Katara did water arms all the time. I know she had arms, but Bumi earthbended with his head and Toph earthbended blind and Teo wasn't a bender but he still flew paralyzed - clearly there are ways to bend/get around even if you are disabled in someway. There are so many great things so many benders have done - I don't think that all great benders go bad, it's just we get angry when these techniques are used against our goodie faves so perhaps we put more weight on them.

I'm not sure Katara invented any new technique, but her bending was daaaaang impressive and she accomplished amazing things (look how quickly she became a master bender, look how quickly she adapted and learned). Talent didn't send her over the edge. Huu is the first person we see using water to bend plants and he was a goodie.

And as for just villainy, I mean in TLA p much the whole Fire Nation were enemies and villains. The Earth Kingdom had Dai Long (and he did use earthbending to help in mind control and as far as we know he did invent that - so there's a non-water technique villain) as well as a complacent/ignorant King (and now new seasons has an overbearing Queen who also doesn't seem to care for the people of the city).

So I disagree with that. Water Nation is small so we haven't met a whole lot of them, so perhaps that's why it seems like it's just water?

smile.gif Thanks, Sock. You are a comfort.

By the way, I'll be digressing a bit. I still don't understand that mind control thing. That part where the green crystals are... The Catacombs? It doesn't make sense. It was too creepy for me that I just watched it recently. And when I say recently, I meant like this year 2014. It creeped me out earlier that I didn't watch. Did Long Feng (龙凤) really used earthbending?

God, the third season started already? I am quite the fool since I completely forgot about it; thank god for DC and that it reminds me of it. *goes off to watch the first episodes

By the way, I'll be digressing a bit. I still don't understand that mind control thing. That part where the green crystals are... The Catacombs? It doesn't make sense. It was too creepy for me that I just watched it recently. And when I say recently, I meant like this year 2014. It creeped me out earlier that I didn't watch. Did Long Feng (龙凤) really used earthbending?

I think you're mixing up a few of the settings' names.

Generally, the Catacombs mean the Crystal Catacombs which we see in ATLA, where the "Crossroads of Destiny" took place. (With the huge Katara & Zuko talk, and Azula attacking Aang) etc.

Lake Laogai, on the other hand, is the mind-control place seen in ATLA and briefly mentioned in Korra. They used a revolving lantern to brainwash the people. This equipment was operated by the Dai Li agents, but as far as I am aware of, earthbending was not required for this. Not sure if that answers your question but yeah ^.^

Oh and Long Feng does use earthbending to fight, although he prefers to use his agents.

Lake Laogai, on the other hand, is the mind-control place seen in ATLA and briefly mentioned in Korra. They used a revolving lantern to brainwash the people. This equipment was operated by the Dai Li agents, but as far as I am aware of, earthbending was not required for this. Not sure if that answers your question but yeah ^.^

It looked to me like they use earthbending in order to spin the lanterns along the wall, so I did count it as using earthbending in the technique. Could just be me, I guess/I could be assuming too much. (Though even if it isn't bending, I do believe Long Feng is crediting with creating the method. And he is Earth Kingdom and it was creepy. =p )

The Dai Li also do the glove thing which we didn't really see until the Dai Li, either.

I do agree, georgexu94, that the brainwashing was very creepy.

Are there other episodes out already? I saw only 1-3. I want to watch when all the episodes are out so I can watch continuously.

Also, where do you watch the series? I watch it online at watchcartoononline.com Although I watch ATLA on television.

Crap. Just missed the new episode. I got the time wrong so I caught the last five minutes. (Didn't even it watch the whole thing and the last five minutes made me want to cry, lol.)

Crap. Just missed the new episode. I got the time wrong so I caught the last five minutes. (Didn't even it watch the whole thing and the last five minutes made me want to cry, lol.)

ohmy.gif Ho! sad.gif So sorry to know that.

I suppose you watch it on tv then?

ohmy.gif Ho! sad.gif So sorry to know that.

I suppose you watch it on tv then?

(Ahahaha, just realized I got the right time... didn't convert to my timezone.)

Right now where I'm staying, basic cable is included in my utilities. Internet is supposed to be to, but it never works, so I'm on a hotspot, so, yeah, trying to catch things on TV because that won't eat my data up. :3

But dang dang dang caught some spoilers and it seems like feeeeeeeeeelings! ;~; I can't believe how much better this season really is.

biggrin.gif Hi ho! That's something for me to look forward to then. I haven't watch it yet. Now you might ask how I know about some plots and characters. I simply looked and spoil myself in the Avatar Wiki. (avatar.wikia.com) and I'm really excited.

My enjoyment doesn't lower by any step when I spoilt myself with spoilers and watch it wink.gif because I'm Filipino that way. It's a long story if you want to know about it. It was told by our Filipino 14 prof how the Filipinos watch plays even though they already know the story plot and sing with the actors. They watch it over and over every time. But! Every time the style of singing would be different. People just enjoy going through it. Same goes for me. Plus, reading is different from watching so for example when I read a character is shocked. I want to see their expression. My imagination of the shocked expression is always different from the actual.