Dr. Paine

Because the only way it can be unoffensively explained away is that Kya and Bumi were left out due to illness and Katara had to take care of them. And given the current track record, I highly doubt that is the case.

I never argued that they'd be able to come up with a GOOD excuse. Just that they would come up with one.

Between the horrendous writing decisions of the first season (eg. let's spend 4 episodes on a pointless love triangle square OH NO WE HAVE TO RUSH THIS ENDING), seeing Bolin being treated like a kicked puppy (Sokka was funny because he got himself into trouble; they're expecting us to laugh at Bolin's misfortune that is in NO WAY his fault), and hearing Mako compare Asami to a blood-sucking leech (how DARE she offer them unconditional support and resources and even almost get murdered by her own father for them, what a leech amirite???), I have exactly zero faith that this particular mischaracterization could possibly be explained away without offending people even more.

Because the only way it can be unoffensively explained away is that Kya and Bumi were left out due to illness and Katara had to take care of them. And given the current track record, I highly doubt that is the case.

I agree with this so much. Yes, there's still a chance this show can be salvaged, but the runaway pacing and the what-the-heck characterization makes me strongly doubt that it will be - as Sock pointed out, it's becoming clear that the creators don't care about this series. The Kya/Bumi/Tenzin rivalry, stemming from daddy issues rather than anything else (and, may I point out, daddy or mommy issues are currently one of the laziest ways writers create conflict when they can't come up with anything else), is likely to not have any sort of satisfactory ending.

And yeah, that bit with Mako giving Bolin breakup advice just about had me throwing something at the screen. What the absolute CENSORKIP.

I actually really liked the Wan story. It felt more reminiscent of the original Avatar (yes, I did go watch the whole series after my posts here) where there was a whole purpose to the story rather than just having as many eps and seasons as possible.

The actual storyline going on right now is just really frustrating me, however.

I am confuzzled now how they've managed to bring air bison and flying lemurs back into population so well, though. o_O

Yeah I really liked the Wan story! It's definitely my favorite in LoK so far. I think it's honestly really good. uwu

Edited by Switch

I agree, the Wan story really was cool and Avatar the Last Airbender. It was much better than I thought it would be. I loved the art style, so different from the rest of the show, and yet the same. It brings up some questions and makes me want to know more about the past world, those can be answered in future series, so I don't expect answers anytime soon.

I hope that there will be more series beyond Korra and that they will have time to make it good. I think one reason Korra suffers is because the writers were under presser.

i enjoyed the last episode but can the love triangle please go away now i thought we were done with it the first time ;__;

Edited by Switch

i enjoyed the last episode but can the love triangle please go away now i thought we were done with it the first time ;__;

I just got back into the series, and I agree about the love triangle. It needs to go away. Like now.

Yes to this a million times over, we don't need anymore Mako/lover stuff. Just let the sad romance die off and replace it with MORE character development stuff that digs deeper, and more epic bending fights.

Yes to this a million times over, we don't need anymore Mako/lover stuff. Just let the sad romance die off and replace it with MORE character development stuff that digs deeper, and more epic bending fights.

The ending of the most recent episode (I think it's 11) really annoyed me. I mean, romance is fine, but I think it would be better if the lovey stuff in TLoK was more ambiguous until the end.

Now that the Second Book is done, I can't wait for the next one.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Also, I noticed that the conflict in Legend of Korra is solved so quickly, much quicker than in Legend of Aang. I mean every book presents another plot which ends at the very end of the book, while in Aang, it will end in Book Fire.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Spoiler alert!

Have anyone noticed that in the Beginnings, when Wan began his story, it started something similar with Aladdin, when he stole bread?

Also, I noticed that regarding Raava and Vaatu, when you spelt it as Rava and Vatu, then merged them together to form "Ravatu", it spells as Avatar when you jumble it up. Well, "Avatur" really, but then, it sounds like "Avatar". tongue.gif I guess it is just my weird imagination.

Not as great as The Last Airbender but either way I liked it!

The second season wasn't a favourite. Too many stuffs based on love and by book 2 she knew all the elements and part of the spiritual side. It took Aang the whole series to do this ;/

Then half of the time Korra was a jerk to everyone. I know, teenage girls, believe me, I'm (sorta) one, so I know about it, but jeez, no need to get so mad, Korra!

And then Mako became a jerk the end.

HOWEVER WAN NEEDS HIS OWN SHOW WHO AGREES

Edited by DragonGirl10188

I dislike how most water tribe people are shown as arrogant or proud. An example would be Avatar Kuruk, the water Avatar from the North tribe, a cycle before Korra. He was a show-off. Next is Pakku, who is a sexist. And what is this with bloodbenders? Seriously! sad.gif Water is portrayed in a negative way. And I love the element. And in the opening sequence, it says water is benevolent.

Water is supposed to be the calmest next to Air... so I agree 100% georgexu.

smile.gif Thank you. Then again, there are healers in the Water Tribes too. There is also Katara, who is kind. I think water is the most diverse element then. Also, they are also most spiritual, again, next to Air.

Edited by georgexu94

I don't think water is really portrayed more negatively than any of the other elements? i mean pretty much every element has been shown to have nice guys and jerks in it, the only one I can think of that really doesn't is air? idk tho

anyway yeah that finale

im still not sure how i feel about it besides that it happened.

Edited by Switch

yeah to be honest i thought beginnings was better than the series as a whole? really loved those episodes

I don't think water is really portrayed more negatively than any of the other elements? i mean pretty much every element has been shown to have nice guys and jerks in it, the only one I can think of that really doesn't is air? idk tho

Well, if you hadn't noticed, aside from fire, water is the next nation with lots of villains. There aren't any villains in Air, and just one in Earth- General Fong.

Have anyone noticed that in the Beginnings, when Wan began his story, it started something similar with Aladdin, when he stole bread?

Actually, when I saw that part, Wan reminded me more of Jean Valjean than Aladdin.

Also, I noticed that regarding Raava and Vaatu, when you spelt it as Rava and Vatu, then merged them together to form "Ravatu", it spells as Avatar when you jumble it up. Well, "Avatur" really, but then, it sounds like "Avatar".  I guess it is just my weird imagination.

That's really interesting!

Many people felt cheated about Book 2. It just happened so fast, like I said earlier in this thread.

Also, I noticed that the conflict in Legend of Korra is solved so quickly, much quicker than in Legend of Aang. I mean every book presents another plot which ends at the very end of the book, while in Aang, it will end in Book Fire.

Also, there has been several discussions in the Wiki page too. Somethings were left unclear.

One could be how Vaatu was able to separate Raava from Korra. They were supposed to be bonded forever. This remains unclear.

Two, how was Korra able to airbend to the Tree of Time when she no longer has her connection to Raava or her past lives. I didn't actually noticed it until I read that comment and watched that particular episode again.

Three, what IS Jinora's role there when she act as intermediate and shone Raava's light? Why can't Korra find the reborn Raava in Vaatu/Unalaq. Why only Jinora can?

Last, regarding Wan's story, the lion turtles sort of disproved the legends in Legend of Aang. One of which is the lore about the first earthbenders, Oma and Shu.

I do not know but shouldn't Oma and Shu be before the first Avatar?

Agreed that Korra was overall rushed. I feel like Jinora's spirit-ness could have been introduced much sooner rather than BAM-all-of-a-sudden-most-of-this-is-Jinora's-responsibility. I did like the approach with TLA better because it weaved a story. As I said in one of my earlier posts - Korra it just seems like they want to draw out season after season, but with no real plan. They just want to give shows and keep making money. Not sure about any of the plotholes except to say that it fits with what I noted earlier - the writers and producers do not really seem to care about the show or its quality.

I did enjoy seeing Iroh again, though.

dry.gif I am quite disappointed with the lack of enough lore and legends. The legend of Avatar Wan is most interesting and awesome. Filled with mystic and spirits. Other than that, everything became fast-paced.

And by the way, what will happen to Varrick after this? He eacaped prison. ohmy.gif So will this mean he'll be prisoned again if he was found out? I must say it came as a shock to me that he would be responsible for the bombings. I mean sacrificing even his ships. I thought he is like an eccentric businessman with weird ideas but innovative and creative. I wouldn't have thought him as a slick, fierce and competitive one. sleep.gif I used to love the guy and made me reconsider my business side. Now I am back to the thought that business is about profit and greediness. I'll-stay-away-from-it kind of perspective.

I like The Legend of Korra but it needs better writers and more spice to the plots.

BTW Katara and Ang married and had 3 or 4 kids including Tenzin. Toph is related to the earth/metal bender in charge of Police/ security

Did The new Fire Lord and Mae have kids they have showcased.

What about Sorka? Wondering? I don't always remember which shows are on when or what channel and we switched providers and I just can't get used to the new one.

I like The Legend of Korra but it needs better writers and more spice to the plots.

BTW Katara and Ang married and had 3 or 4 kids including Tenzin. Toph is related to the earth/metal bender in charge of Police/ security

Did The new Fire Lord and Mae have kids they have showcased.

What about Sorka? Wondering? I don't always remember which shows are on when or what channel and we switched providers and I just can't get used to the new one.

From my knowledge from the graphic novels as well -

Neither Zuko and Mai nor Sokka and Sukki ended up as perma-couples. Mai left Zuko due to his secret keeping.

Zuko did have children, though. In LoK, we have not seen him nor his daughter (he is currently roaming promoting peace and his daughter is ruling the Fire Nation), but we see his grandson Iroh, who is a general like his namesake.

We see Sokka in some flashbacks, but I don't believe we know anything about his family if he had one.

Yes, Tenzin has two siblings, Bumi (named after King Bumi; he's a non-bender but is an accomplished commander) and Kya (named after Katara's mother; she's a waterbender and healer), who we spend some time with in the last episodes of last season. And yes, Lin is Toph's daughter. There's nothing on who Lin's father is, AFAIK.

I dislike how most water tribe people are shown as arrogant or proud. An example would be Avatar Kuruk, the water Avatar from the North tribe, a cycle before Korra. He was a show-off. Next is Pakku, who is a sexist. And what is this with bloodbenders? Seriously! sad.gif Water is portrayed in a negative way. And I love the element. And in the opening sequence, it says water is benevolent.

I agree that quite a number of characters with negative traits come from the water tribe but I think it's also interesting. smile.gif Because a running theme in the Avatar world is balance and most of the most of the villainous waterbenders are out of balance especially the bloodbenders. For Pakku, he's a decent person, but extremely sexist, so he learned from that like Sokka did (so they may not start off as feminists, but they are feminist characters). The element is benevolent and its culture is benevolent but some people are just not as benevolent. And every culture (even in real life) has good people and bad people in it.

There are quite a number of benevolent water tribe characters to balance this out too. I'd count Korra as one because despite her violent tendencies, she is still a supporter of peace. And Yuei is one of the greatest example of what a water tribe person represents, along with Katara. And Pakku belongs to this list as well because overall he helped a lot and even aided in reclaiming Ba Sing Se. smile.gif

There are some slightly more ambiguous characters too like Valek, who isn't "evil", but is just highly opportunistic and disloyal. The twins too were rooting for what they thought was right until the near end.

So it's overall pretty balanced. And the showrunners rarely ever have all characters purely good or evil, I think they like pointing out how good people have bad traits and bad people have good traits too. smile.gif

Just my two cents to the discussion that accidentally turned into a ramble.

One could be how Vaatu was able to separate Raava from Korra. They were supposed to be bonded forever. This remains unclear.

Two, how was Korra able to airbend to the Tree of Time when she no longer has her connection to Raava or her past lives. I didn't actually noticed it until I read that comment and watched that particular episode again.

Three, what IS Jinora's role there when she act as intermediate and shone Raava's light? Why can't Korra find the reborn Raava in Vaatu/Unalaq. Why only Jinora can?

Last, regarding Wan's story, the lion turtles sort of disproved the legends in Legend of Aang. One of which is the lore about the first earthbenders, Oma and Shu.

One: Well, Raava never mentioned that they can't be separated under any circumstances, so I guess only something as powerful as Vaatu could.

Two: That's because bending appears to be a thing that's more genetics than spiritual. So if that's right, Korra would have gotten her multi-bending ability at birth. She would have lost her spiritual connection but the bending remains hers, so she becomes no more than an average multi-bender. Not to mention Wan got the bending powers on his own, rather than when Ravaa joined with him.

Three: I have no idea but maybe Korra needed a reminder that there is no light without dark and vice versa. And I peg Jinora as an exceptional spiritual person, just like how there are some exceptional waterbenders that can blood bend.

Last: Well, it is a lore (never fully confirmed as fact) and like in real life there are lots of contradicting lore as well. Perhaps they were very isolated and they were the only benders for generations so they all just assumed.

Um, I hope these help? Just how I see things.