angelicdragonpuppy

Same-Name Eggs ( Descriptions )

Does giving the same name to different eggs add anything to the game?  

488 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I answered "Heck No!" But the real answer is, "Yes"...it adds tons of frustration to my DC experience *grrrrr*

Synonyms for "pink"

rosy

pinkish

rose

roseate

salmon

blush

deep pink

Synonyms for "strange"

unusual

peculiar

odd

irregular

Synonyms for "bright"

vivid

rich

brilliant

Lol, synonyms are great. I can just imagine the descriptions changing to something like "It's vivid. And salmon." xd.png

Lol, synonyms are great. I can just imagine the descriptions changing to something like "It's vivid. And salmon." xd.png

That would be amazing xd.png

It only bothers me when one egg is *much* rarer than the other, so that you get the wrong one over and over and have to wait five hours every time to abandon it. That happens with stripes now, and it seems likely to happen with old pinks -- er, old-new pinks -- the ones that influence.

I guess there are some advantages for people with slow connections. "Brightly colored markings" eggs sit in the cave longer than stripe eggs would if you could tell they were stripes, so someone on dialup has a chance at them. But when the ratio gets so unbalanced that you wind up releasing 20 or 30 spitfires without ever seeing a stripe, that's just annoying.

But if you have a common egg sharing a description with an uncommon one, that's going to be the way to get the common one picked up. How many bright markings have been picked up by people hoping for stripes that have turned out to be spitfires? And then they're out of the cave and on a scroll.

I still wish that they were different, but only very slightly, so it would take a bit of skill to grab the one you want, and misclicks would be easy.

They don't tend to stay on scrolls, though. If someone is looking for something specific, that unwanted egg is just going to go plug up the AP. And if you're someone who doesn't care about what you pick up--then just grab an egg randomly. You don't need the cave to spit out same descriptions to blindly click on links. XC

I guess I wouldnt mind the same description so much if there was a 50- 50 chance to get one or the other, this is not the case as with the Horse, Sky, Orch its always the Orch that shows up there is no distinguishing % placed in.

I do not mind holding for 4-5 hours what I do mind is releasing just to pick the same damn egg up that I just dropped sleep.gif

Thank you for the wonderful same description eggs! It makes my job of hunting CB pinks so much more fun. Now with 100% more scroll lock and random eggs! Joy!

/sarcasm rolleyes.gif

Edited by PonyTales

This topic appears to be turning into a rant topic? Back to the discussion please.

They could always change the description of the pink ones. Since they're not really bright as much as PALE pink. Then again, a lot of the "bright/strange" markings don't make so much sense either. Why add the frustration if the description doesn't even that accurately fit the eggs?

Edited for HTML-fail, heh

Edited by w4rg4zm

I don't mind same egg descriptions as long as one is for a CB and the other is for a hybrid.

OR when there are 50-50 chances of getting either egg. but when one is common and the other is rare, then it's a real pain (stripes and spitfires). >.>

Both spitfires and the new flamingoes are lovely but many people use stripes and pinks for lineages. I think that's where the frustration comes in.

It's a pain sifting through the spitfires and flamingoes to get what you need to carry on a lineage.

I agree with w4rg4zm, the new pinks are pale, perhaps a better description would have been:

'It's pale. And pink.' smile.gif

i hate the same description, because i try to catch a CB stripe it's impossible.

I think now it's the same for the CB pink.

I think if the ratio between the chances were more even it would be better. For example. the dorsals are pretty much 25% for red and 75% for purple (From what I've seen). That isn't too bad 1 in 4 chance. The same goes for the ochre/skywing/horse chances. They are pretty reasonable. When it comes spitfires and stripes it is insane. I was trying to help someone else get a CB stripe. We both grabbed all the bright marking eggs we saw for almost a week and no stripe at all. I thought stripes were supposed to be uncommon. Now they are rare, rarer than metallics in the cave it seems. O.o

I'm sort of torn. I love the idea but the ratios have to be something reasonable.

I agree that it's tedious, gets in the way, and actually probably contributes to the slow-moving cave sometimes because people are hesitant about snatching up an egg they can't be sure about. Particularly when, as w4rg4zm points out, eggs are just shoe-horned into a description category deliberately to add to the 'fun'/'confusion'.

Perhaps it would be helpful if the 5 hour limit was reduced so that people could eject the eggs they don't want quicker. Otherwise, it is a real pain. I have no horses because I really just can't be darn well bothered to sift. I like to actually try to raise eggs, not keep them from 5 hours just to toss them out!

I don't mind same egg descriptions as long as one is for a CB and the other is for a hybrid.

OR when there are 50-50 chances of getting either egg. but when one is common and the other is rare, then it's a real pain (stripes and spitfires). >.>

This. Even the 1:3 ratios of the dorsals are fine >.<

What's going to happen with the next new eggs, are there going to be new black or new vine with the exact same description.....How many descriptions of rare "common" eggs are left untouched?

Could the time be made adjustable on these "multiple eggs that share exact descriptions"? I really doubt if TJ will change the time limit, because... why? But I wouldn't mind a time-changed that lessened how long you had to keep an egg, if it was the kind that shared a description. The more eggs they want to release with the same unoriginality in description, the less time an unfortunate clicker has to keep them.

We have three "strange marking" eggs. So we should be locked 3/5 hours if one of those eggs is caught. Each egg would only be held for 1.67 hours (partially rounded up, or you end up with 1.66666666667), a little more than 1 hour 40 minutes for those three eggs.

For the spitfires/stripes and these new flamingos/pinks, the egg holding time would be cut down to 2 hours 30 minutes per egg.

I'd be civil towards exact same description eggs, if I wasn't forced to hold them for five hours. I'm one of those people who has limited time on the computer some days. On working days, I don't mind the lock much. Because if I click at around 10-12 in the afternoon, I can usually dump them when I get to work at 5, then grab a new batch and maybe be able to get rid of them when I get home at around midnight. And when I grab what I want. That's it, I'm done, I can't do anything else with the cave or AP for the next week.

But as you can see, if the logic was that "giving the eggs the same description will make people pick them up", they're absolutely right, I totally bite the shmuck bait and click them.

But if the logic was "giving the eggs the same description will make people pick them up and keep them because, y'know, they already have them on their scroll" then that logic is completely frickin' wrong, because every egg I don't want. I dump. I know what I want, because I have limited space on my scroll, because a major theme of the game is using your time and space wisely, because you don't have a lot of one to go around, and have to wait an awful lot with the rest (DC is a great hurry-up and wait game). I don't have a change of heart. Most people don't want them for trades because they're oozing out of everywhere. And I really doubt that everyone else plays it different and just rolls over with a "oh you got me" chuckle and keeps their 20th/200th spitfire... or wastes the kill with Halloween so close, or wastes their time raising an unwanted egg them, just so they can freeze 'n release the hatchling four days later. They all end up in the AP. And they don't need to if they were just labeled appropriately.

It doesn't really matter to me. The only bad thing is about CB stripes. When I saw spitfires for the first time, I thought the CB stripes were finally common. WRONG!

I don't mind it with the Ochres/Skywings/Horses, nor with the Dorsals - it's a lotto of some sorts. I am, however, annoyed that Stripes now share a description, since those were rare to start with, and will now be even harder to catch. x_X

^^^ This.

I'm very glad that I have 4 Flamingos, as both they and Pinks have most likely just joined Strange Markings and Stripes as eggs voted more likely to be traded for than ever again being picked up by me in repeated and fruitless attempts at getting what I need at that point in time and can keep in limited space, though I may pick up a few more 'bright Pinks' while I can at least guess at what I'm likely to get in a game no longer dependent on skill or reaction time.

Not that I have either. laugh.gif

But, like many others, I encounter FAR more than enough random, hopeless, personally uncontrollable frustration in RL without spending time intended for fun and relaxation while collecting more of the former instead of hunting and eventually catching the dragons I need for whatever purpose.

So I'll avoid the issue as far as I can by generally no longer snagging these.

Only it seems now that every new Release has the fun spoiled by yet another shared description which will be yet another permanent annoyance forever removing any chance I might have of improving my odds of success through any action I could possibly take myself.

The choices and chances have been taken out of my hands, and my actions no longer influence outcomes - I'm not really playing anymore.

One of the great things about games such as these is that they typically provide a chance for people to at least try to exert some personal control over some aspect of something in their lives, something not often the case in RL.

It's very discouraging to see this disappear.

I thikn it is OK if some of the common dragons have the same description, like the Ochredrake, Purple Horse, Frill combination used to be. However, adding the same description for a common and rare like the Stripe and Spitfire is really frustrating. dry.gif

What I don't get, is why it has to be the EXACT. SAME. DESCRIPTION? Does anyone know how many synonyms there are for the word "pink" while keeping the same meaning?

Why couldn't the egg have had any description like:

It's bright. And the color of coral.

It's bright. And fuschia.

It's bright. And pinkish.

It's pink. And bright.

It's bright. And rosy.

It's bright. And salmon-colored.

It's bright. And ruddy.

They all mean the egg is "pink"! But not Pink Dragon pink.

C'mon... I'm tired of this. I'm relatively new and I'm tired of this. If it was just the strange markings (which aren't) eggs, well, that was a theme for a release so it's cool. With last two releases, it's just silly. It's not like Webster's is charging the place a nickle per new word in a description here. There's plenty of words in English to sound almost exactly like, but not quite any of these descriptions.

Sure, some folks would reflex click as soon as they got to the "bright" part, I know I would. But at least they have a fair shot at being able to discern what they're grabbing.

Actually, there were two proposed egg descriptions for the flamingos- one was 'It's bright. And pink.' The other was 'This egg is bright pink and smells like brine shrimp'.

-shrug- Personally, I don't mind it too much, but I can see where it can be annoying. Besides, I'd rather not see eggs get all purple prose-y on us...

Yes, it adds challenge to this game. If you really hate the egg you were trying not to get, kill it with earthquake to unlock yourself, or wait the 5 hours and abandon.

There are plenty of games out there where you can see what you're getting. I'm glad there's more challenge right now.

Sorry but eggs that have the same description is NOT a challenge, it's pure dumb idiotic luck. A challenge would be a description that is similar enough to fool you to taking it.

It's not like Webster's is charging the place a nickle per new word in a description here. There's plenty of words in English to sound almost exactly like, but not quite any of these descriptions.

IIRC, the creator of the Flamingos -really- wanted to use the same description as the Pinks.

:/ Same description eggs is not funny anymore, it only brings drama and etc...