angelicdragonpuppy

Same-Name Eggs ( Descriptions )

Does giving the same name to different eggs add anything to the game?  

488 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the challenge, personally.

Can it get annoying? Yes. I won't deny that.

But if I don't get the egg I want it's just a fiver hour wait to drop it and try again. It's nice if you're bored and just want some random eggs.

It's like a less deadly Russian Roulette.

Besides, people will complain about everything at some time or another.

One of the biggest trends I'm seeing is the people who are upset by it are personally effected by it for whatever reason. Breeding projects, scroll completion, etc.

Every person who isn't bothered by it, isn't effected by it. It doesn't effect them personally so they could care less, and many are quite fine with wagging the finger and saying "chill out, it's just a game".

Take a moment to look at it from the other's PoV and you may understand a bit better. Just wait until it happens to the eggs that you DO want to collect for whatever reason, I'm sure you'll change your tune.

I came in after a long break from DC and never even knew about stripes. Shortly after coming back, Spitfires (which I do just love) were brought in. Now I have very little hope of ever catching stripes. I feel bad for PonyTails who is collecting CB pinks for her giant breeding project - it'll be an extraordinarily long and tiring process now that these new pinks are out, and the pale pinks were rare enough to begin with.

I THINK I voted that they do bother me and should be adjusted, but I voted a long time ago and am just now am getting around to reply.

EDITED for grammar.

Edited by aerivore

I dislike different species having the same descriptions. It's already a challenge to remember which egg have which discription.

This is the reason I hardly ever use The Cave apart from new releases.

I do not mind the current number, but I am really hoping that this trend stops or slows down at the least. Having a lottery egg or two is fine, but if it gets to the point where most of the old eggs share a description with another, then it will be a problem. I actually would not mind new eggs sharing descriptions with new eggs, that way they start off at a nice even ratio where it is at least close to 50/50(i.e. if TJ decided to release two completely separate breeds with the same description at the same time, I think that would be kind of neat actually).

What I do not like is either uneven ratios(i.e. spitfires/stripes), or new ones sharing with really old eggs. New eggs should not make old eggs nearly impossible to find, it does affect the game negatively and adds little or nothing in return.

Edited by Nectaris

THE ARTISTS DO NOT GET A FINAL SAY IN DESCRIPTIONS. Nor do concept creators (since hey, not every artist makes the concept, and not every concept creator/writer can do art). So please, do not blame them for it.

I can't speak for the others, but I can assure you that the current description for the flamingo eggs was NOT the only one put forth, there was a very different one that I honestly expected to see used.

However, the why is simple- egg descriptions need to be short and give a vague idea as to what you'll get, and sometimes, things will be described the same. Stripes and Spitfires have bright markings. Flamingos and Pinks have bright pink eggs. Ochredrakes, Horses and Skywings all have odd markings.

And hey, TJ has shown in the past that he likes messing with people. He makes the final call, artists/writers just give suggestions.

Okay, okay.

You didn't have to use huge red underlined letters, I would have gotten the point just fine if you had just stated it.

I don't care for it. The random nature that it adds to a game where it's already random what shows up and if you're fast enough to grab it is not enjoyable to me.

No.

If I mis-click an egg, and end up with a green instead of a gold, it should be my own fault, not because they have the same descriptive text.

I don't like it.

It gets really irritating, and I pretty much never click descriptions that can apply to multiple eggs unless a) I'm going after what is clearly the more common egg (as in the case of Spitfires) or B) I have space on my scroll, am not doing anything for hours (e.g. breeding or hunting in the AP), and am very bored.

Neither happens all that often. :|

Edited by god_matter

I understand that this adds a risk dimension to the game, but in my heart of hearts, I really want to be able to know what the heck I am clicking on. It sucks waiting hours to drop an egg I didn't want or need, which just further fills up the AP.

I dislike common descriptions, because you need certain CB eggs for breeding.

Due to that "random fun" (err: would'nt the wording imply half-way balanced rates?) it is almost impossible to grab a CB Pink or Striped now. sad.gif

For the most part it doesn't bother me because I like all the dragons that happen to have the same description. On a day to day basis, I really don't care about what I get and it's kind of fun to see what I end up with.

However, I can see how it could be annoying to people who are looking for specific breeds. I know I do sometimes and it does frustrate me when I end up with a horse dragon instead of a skywing. But I don't spend time working on many lineage projects.

So, I guess you could say I'm pretty indifferent on the matter.

Personally, I extremely dislike it. It makes hunting harder, and not in a fun way. I'd prefer it if each egg had its own unique description. But it's TJ's site, so it's his decision what descriptions eggs will have.

EDIT: i KAN GRAMER GUD

Edited by Eruru

One of the biggest trends I'm seeing is the people who are upset by it are personally effected by it for whatever reason. Breeding projects, scroll completion, etc.

Every person who isn't bothered by it, isn't effected by it. It doesn't effect them personally so they could care less, and many are quite fine with wagging the finger and saying "chill out, it's just a game".

Well I'm trying very hard to hoard pinks on my scroll ever since I joined (well okay maybe a week later) yet I managed to get only TWO of them up untill now, both from the AP with looooong and unpretty linages. Yes I do think this new reliese eggs sharing description with pinks does affect me personally.

Yet I love the fact that they share description. I like it a lot that spitfires share decription with stripes even though I dislike spitfires and dream about having a caveborn stripe. More, I'd actually love it if every single egg in the cave shared a description with another. So please don't generalize.

Chill out, it's just a game.

Well I'm trying very hard to hoard pinks on my scroll ever since I joined (well okay maybe a week later) yet I managed to get only TWO of them up untill now, both from the AP with looooong and unpretty linages. Yes I do think this new reliese eggs sharing description with pinks does affect me personally.

Yet I love the fact that they share description. I like it a lot that spitfires share decription with stripes even though I dislike spitfires and dream about having a caveborn stripe. More, I'd actually love it if every single egg in the cave shared a description with another. So please don't generalize.

Chill out, it's just a game.

Yes, it is just a game, and as a game, shouldn't it follow what makes it a fun game for the majority of the people rather than a stressful one?

So please don't generalize.

Generalizations are useful when they are generally true.

And while there may be the occasional outlier such as yourself, the truth is that most people who really need certain eggs which share descriptions with other eggs are experiencing a lot of frustration and difficulty and are having less fun than they used to. This is a game, and it should be fun. There should be challenges too, but they should be fun challenges, not tedious challenges that just make people want to quite playing.

After the "Beat the Heat" egg release and the Spitfire/Stripe shared description, I lost a lot of interest in DC. The whole game just makes me a bit uncomfortable now--I don't like the idea of playing a game where so little regard is given to the enjoyment of the players. We had already expressed a great deal of discontent over the "Strange Markings" eggs and I was honestly shocked that those descriptions weren't changed. But then to have ANOTHER shared description with the Spitfire/Stripes? That floored me. Why the hell add even more eggs with shared descriptions, when the players have made it oh-so-clear that most of us don't like this and are having less fun than we used to have? I was flabbergasted and started seeking out other games to play. I found another game I liked where there weren't any problems like this and I've been playing that one a lot lately.

This latest release, which introduced YET ANOTHER shared description, has just about put the nail in the coffin for me. I may never be an active DC player like I once was. It just isn't fun anymore. I came here to have fun and I'm not having it so why keep coming here as much as I used to? I'll probably keep trying to catch new releases when they come out, just so that I won't "get behind" and have a lot to catch up on, just in case DC becomes fun again and I want to start playing more. But it used to be that I'd come on DC religiously and probably spend a few hours a day playing. For now, those days are gone for me. I come online just long enough to tend to a few things and catch a few things I might need, and then I leave. I probably spend less than 30 minutes a day on DC now, whereas I used to spend hours. Most of the time, my scroll stays empty.

When the fun comes back, I'll play more. Until then, I'll play just barely enough to catch new releases...and I can't even guarantee how long I'll do that.

EDIT: Forgot to add...I am the manager of a lineage project, so I'll pop back in here and there to make sure the project gets finished and that people get the eggs they are supposed to get.

Edited by Renorei

So, now that many of the same description eggs have their own biome, are same description eggs bothering users as much as they used too (or may be they never bothered you at all)?

the biomes helped a lot (obviously) with the same descriptions because you just have to go to the biome that has that dragon species and you know for certain what you're getting (kind of, seeing as though pinks can show up everywhere i.e. coastal biome where they share with flamingo wyverns).

one exception would be sun/moonstones...but i never had much of of interest in those species. but i'm sure it's kind of frustrating for some people, i'd imagine. and aren't moonstones more popular than suns? i don't know.

back when there wasn't biomes though...man, the splits/spitfires didn't bother me, it was the pinks and flamingo wyverns. i wanted a cb pink because it was around the time that they weren't *so* common anymore and i'd just pick up those wyverns. kind of sucked, but it wasn't anything like game-shattering for me. i'm just not lucky with chanced things, i suppose...whether it be egg descriptions or alts. lol

and omg, i was an idiot when the biomes came out too...i was in the desert clicking on the brightly striped eggs for a long time wondering "wtf where are people getting these cb stripes?" because i never "got" one from the desert. 'til i went on the wiki and found they were only in forest/jungle. rofl fail.

I like it, as long as they are in different biomes. I actually don't mind the moonstone/sunstone thing, because it adds some suspense to the game rather than simply waiting for your scroll to unlock.

So, now that many of the same description eggs have their own biome, are same description eggs bothering users as much as they used too (or may be they never bothered you at all)?

Well for the ones that actually are in different biomes, they are no longer a bother for me. I think it actually adds a little bit of a challenge because you have to remember that when you're in the desert, you don't want to be picking up any "brightly colored markings" eggs and when you're in the coast, you don't want to be picking up any "bright and pink" eggs.

But the release of the sunstones and moonstones has, yet again, got me flabbergasted. From my point of view, one of the things that biomes were supposed to fix was the problem of eggs sharing descriptions. I know a lot of us were really excited when we found out that shared description eggs would generally be in different biomes so we wouldn't be stuck for 5 hours with eggs we didn't want. But now we have two new breeds who share a description and a biome. Sometimes it feels like the people making these decisions don't care about the users' wishes. How would it feel to be that person who has set a personal goal of collecting 100 CB Moonstones and you keep getting locked with Sunstones? Fortunately I don't like either of these breeds very much so I haven't been personally affected by this as I have already collected all that I need. But I feel bad for anyone who is collecting either of these breeds and I think their shared description is part of the reason they often sit in the desert so long without getting picked up. People don't want to risk being stuck for 5 hours with an egg they don't want. I just hope that neither of these breeds is ever used to produce a hybrid breed (or else we'll end up with people desperate for one and not wanting the other at all like what happened when people were trying to get CB skywings to make blunas and kept getting frilleds) and that neither of them ever get a BSA. If neither of these things happen I guess it will be okay because we hopefully won't have a situation where people have to try for ages to get the right egg.

In short, shared descriptions are fine if there is no biome overlap. But I am seriously disappointed that two breeds were deliberately put into the same biome with the same description. It feels like being "thrown under the bus" so to speak, as if nobody in charge cares that you might get egglocked with things you never wanted. mad.gif

Biodomes have been wonderful, though now I have to remember which egg comes from which biodome. laugh.gif I do prefer this over the original random 1-in-3/4 chance thing though.

However, I do agree with Renorei about the moonstones and sunstones sharing a description and biodome. When I was working on a PB sunstone stairstep, I kept getting locked with moonstones. Now when I need moonstones, I keep getting sunstones. Blargh. Especially since in the last few days, the desert has been inundated with unwanted stone eggs, finding a moon/sunstone egg is much harder... so getting stuck with a sunstone for 5 hours isn't exactly fun.

Apart from that, I think the issue's pretty much resolved. :3

I think it adds a little mystery

yes I've wanted to cuss out the egg when I clicked wanting a stripe and it was a spitfire....but the biomes have done away with that

we know skywings are on the coast with flamingos

we know spitfires are in the dessert

we know ochredrakes are in the forest

we know horse are in the jungle and you may find a flamingo instead of a normal pink there (that was a shock to me and I kinda liked it as I was not expecting to see a flamingo there, but now know if I click a pink there, it is an either or)

I do not miss the spitfires being with the stripes and I am very happy most with same name are in different biomes, but the pink chance in the jungle is nice as like I said, it adds just a little mystery wink.gif

and I also like that I don't know which 'stone' I am getting when I am hunting for moon and sun, but the 5 hour wait isn't so bad(although I do wish it shorter), and sometimes if feeling weird, I'll bite the egg and lock myself for 24 hours instead of 5 tongue.gif

Edited by Merenwen

I am very glad that Spitfires and Stripes are now in different biomes.

I am very glad that Spitfires and Stripes are now in different biomes.

yes the biomes make a lot of difference. I like the way that the skywings are in the coast too. I used to get so annoyed when all I picked up were ochredrakes when trying to catch skywings.

I've never cared for dragons having the same descriptions, but now that the dragons with them are in separate biomes for the most part it doesn't bug me so much.

I like the challenge. When you're new, it's fun and exciting to not quite 'get' all the dragon descriptions - you don't know what kind of egg you're going to pick up, no matter how it's described. But after a few months, you get familiar with the eggs, know what you're getting, that kind of thing...

Having similar or the same descriptions puts a little mystery back into things. I'd actually like a few more 'strange' eggs, lol.

Doesn't stop me from not paying attention to what biome I'm in (or forgetting) and picking up Spitfires... but I can laugh at myself & move on.