angelicdragonpuppy

Same-Name Eggs ( Descriptions )

Does giving the same name to different eggs add anything to the game?  

487 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't say I love it, but I'm not netagive about it, either. The "strange markings" eggs sharing a description hasn't bothered me, but I haven't been hunting any of those for a long time now so I'm not really making a point here.

Regarding the "brightly coloured markings" ones, though...I had been catching as many as I could recently, in search for stripes, and of course had to abandon a bunch of spitfires. But when I eventually got a CB stripe, it was all the more satisfying because of my efforts. The rarity of stripes or pinks or whichever eggs we're talking about isn't affected by the description thing, after all. So one will eventually show up.

*cries out in frustration*

Why, WHY MUST THE ARTIST INSIST ON GIVING THEIR EGGS THE EXACT SAME DESCRIPTION AS EXISTING EGGS.

*bangs head against the wall*

I need CB Pinks for the Breast Cancer Awareness lineage as well as my own, but with these new flamingo dragon's that's going to be next to impossible.

I didn't mind so much when the Spitefires came out because I don't even like Stripes so I had no intention of catching any.

*cries out in frustration*

Why, WHY MUST THE ARTIST INSIST ON GIVING THEIR EGGS THE EXACT SAME DESCRIPTION AS EXISTING EGGS.

*bangs head against the wall*

THE ARTISTS DO NOT GET A FINAL SAY IN DESCRIPTIONS. Nor do concept creators (since hey, not every artist makes the concept, and not every concept creator/writer can do art). So please, do not blame them for it.

I can't speak for the others, but I can assure you that the current description for the flamingo eggs was NOT the only one put forth, there was a very different one that I honestly expected to see used.

However, the why is simple- egg descriptions need to be short and give a vague idea as to what you'll get, and sometimes, things will be described the same. Stripes and Spitfires have bright markings. Flamingos and Pinks have bright pink eggs. Ochredrakes, Horses and Skywings all have odd markings.

And hey, TJ has shown in the past that he likes messing with people. He makes the final call, artists/writers just give suggestions.

Edited by Dr. Paine

I'm sooooo glad he loves to mess with the people who love his game and instead of having MORE fun they withdraw more and more from it. . .

Well each person here is to their own. For example I do not like pinks but flamingos, while another person is oposite.

One might like the same another might not.

I'm sooooo glad he loves to mess with the people who love his game and instead of having MORE fun they withdraw more and more from it. . .

-shrug- If people can't just accept the annoyance and go on, that's their problem. DC's doing fine as it is, it would take significantly more than a vocal minority on the forums leaving to mess with things.

No, it isn't pleasant. Yes, people probably have better things to do, time constraints, etc. But there are plenty of other small, annoying inconveniences that have come up in the past, and people either move on and deal or leave because they don't want to.

DC is just a game. So relax, it's not worth giving yourself an ulcer from stressing out over it.

Same description eggs don't bother me anymore. I've gotten used to them. It's just another part of the game.

(Reminder)

Attack the topic, not the members.

After reading, I find this more drama/rant then anything else. For now, I will leave this open and in SD. ~Please use the report tool as needed.~ smile.gif

It's obnoxious, and earthquake is not an option with a scroll full of other eggs that you worked hard for and don't want dead. With the release of the new pink, I've completely scrapped or reworked projects I had in mind that involved pinks, because I simply do not need what should be a fun game causing that much aggravation in my life. Heaven forbid my favorite breeds eventually become infected by this trend, and I hope it stops here.

It worries me that so many people have said something along the lines of they don't mind, because they're not collecting so-and-so dragon. I felt the exact same way about the Stripes and Spitfires, and maybe now I'm paying for not speaking up against it when I thought it would never affect me.

Both spitfires and the new flamingoes are lovely but many people use stripes and pinks for lineages. I think that's where the frustration comes in.

It's a pain sifting through the spitfires and flamingoes to get what you need to carry on a lineage.

I agree with w4rg4zm, the new pinks are pale, perhaps a better description would have been:

'It's pale. And pink.' smile.gif

this.

but maybe not pale and pink, how about ...swirled and pink? or feathery and pink because its a flamingo egg, though the design doesnt have any feathers on it xd.png

I personally don't like it when eggs share a name, especially when I'm hunting for a certain one. For those eggs I'm much more likely to hunt on the AP instead because then I'll know for sure which one I'm getting.

I personally don't like it when eggs share a name, especially when I'm hunting for a certain one. For those eggs I'm much more likely to hunt on the AP instead because then I'll know for sure which one I'm getting.

well the only problem with this is that osmetimes for personal goals or lineage projects you need the CB type smile.gif

this.

but maybe not pale and pink, how about ...swirled and pink? or feathery and pink because its a flamingo egg, though the design doesnt have any feathers on it xd.png

How would swirled work? The only 'swirl' on it is just the difference from lighting.

As mentioned before, eggs need to be kept to short descriptions that actually fit the egg in some way or another, and with limitations like that, there will naturally be some that are similar or exactly the same.

now that I look at it i guess it isn't as swirled, Paine, I guess your'e right xd.png

Idk...I guess pale is good...but I htink bright and pink fits this better, and the original pinks (older) should be made pale and pink because they look pale...

now that I look at it i guess it isn't as swirled, Paine, I guess your'e right xd.png

Idk...I guess pale is good...but I htink bright and pink fits this better, and the original pinks (older) should be made pale and pink because they look pale...

I do agree on that x3 The first pinks, 'bright' made sense- those things were neon. The new ones are much paler. The newest pink eggs went through a few iterations, this was just the simplest, most fitting one that TJ went with. This was probably the case in several same-name eggs, so it's just a matter of what fits and what TJ wants to use.

It doesn't really bother me that a handful of breeds have the same descriptions. Sure it can be a headache when you're looking for a specific breed, but if you really want that specific one then you can work for it. I do hope that not all of the breeds become like this however. But I doubt that'll be the case. I think it just kinda adds a certain twist that sort of makes things interesting, to an extent. I'm a stripe breeder and always on the lookout for CB stripes, so yeah the spitfire thing certainly makes things tough, but I'm not gonna get pissed just because it's that much harder.

I do wish that the abandon time would be shortened though. 3 hours was bad enough....5 hours is just brutal xd.png I mean I can understand the time to abandon being changed to 5 hours back when the AP was constantly full and blocking the cave, but from what I've seen the AP is hardly ever even halfway full.

Edit: This does, however, prompt me to try to get more CB's that my scroll is missing in case this sort of thing happens more often wink.gif

Edited by DragonLily

-shrug- If people can't just accept the annoyance and go on, that's their problem. DC's doing fine as it is, it would take significantly more than a vocal minority on the forums leaving to mess with things.

No, it isn't pleasant. Yes, people probably have better things to do, time constraints, etc. But there are plenty of other small, annoying inconveniences that have come up in the past, and people either move on and deal or leave because they don't want to.

DC is just a game. So relax, it's not worth giving yourself an ulcer from stressing out over it.

^^Pretty much this.

Yeah, it might be annoying when I pick up an egg I don't want, but personally, it just makes it that much better when I get the egg I do want.

All the best pieces(?) of entertainment have something that, taken alone, people generally hate. Great movies have painful conflicts that get the viewer emotionally involved. Great video games have those levels that you can't stand, but that give you a sense of exultation when you finally pass them. ("HA! I DID IT! I AM THE MASTER!!") Great television shows have plot arcs that viewers did not want, but that, when resolved, give a deep sense of satisfaction.

Which is not to say that there can't be mistakes in good entertainment... but I just don't see having multiple eggs with the same description in the main Cave as being a mistake. In my opinion, it does add something to the overall game.

smile.gif

EDIT for incorrect use of the word "media". dry.gif

Edited by Tanigi

At first, it was kind of fun, added that extra element to the game, with all the 'strange' eggs. However, by the time it got to four eggs with the same description, it was getting a little annoying.

Now that they are doing this for more and more breeds, it's downright annoying. I don't want to be playing lotteries all the time. Gotta play the alt lottery, gotta play the strange lottery, and now the bright markings and pink lottery... It's confusing and taking away from the game, I think.

I'm glad I finished my pink project before this release, that's for sure.

I am not at all objecting to any kind of challenge, but I prefer the challenge to be something I can control, instead of luck. Others have already said it, but when I grab a nebula thinking it's a metallic or a pygmy thinking it's a chicken or a blue dino thinking it's a purple, well, that's my fault for not being a fast enough reader and I have to deal with the five-hour wait. But staring at an egg wondering, "...Is this the 1 in 20 stripe? Do I do it or not?" just doesn't seem like a challenge to me.

I'm not a big fan of eggs having the same descriptions. The only thing that annoys me is the spitfires and stripes sharing the same description. I don't mind the "strange markings" one because I happen to like all of the dragons that have that description. This doesn't mean that I don't like both the spitfires and the stripes. I like them both a lot, but it's frustrating to see the perfect description for a striped and then get a spitfire instead. Also, with the pinks, now it will be even harder to get the... uh, middle pinks now, I guess, with these new pinks.

I think that the same name eggs add a bit of mystery to the eggs. I am not doing a lineage project so they don't impact me that way. I've tried for a CB Stripe since forever and it continues to elude me....and that adds to the fun I have stalking the Cave.

When I happen to click on something by mistake at the Cave or the "wrong" same name egg appears on my scroll, I just remind myself that they are just pixels...albeit very pretty pixels and I deal with it. If that miss click locked my scroll I just go find something to do around the house or take a nap or run some errands. 5 hours goes by very quickly when one is busy instead of sitting at the computer fretting or refreshing the screen or being angry. Before I know it, time is up and I can abandon the miss clicked egg and look forward to the hunt at the Cave in search of the very elusive stripe biggrin.gif

EDIT: typos

Edited by Pinch of StarDust

It doesn't bother me. I'm not interested in any of the contested breeds here, so other then getting one or two of each type it doesn't matter to me. I like that the newer breeds are more common then the older ones, I have most of the older breeds already so I don't need any more. I actually like that the bright pinks are so uncommon, I remember when they were the major cave-blocker and I really hated them then. Seeing them so rare actually makes me happy, as it reminds me that the current cave-blockers that are annoying me will one day be uncommon as well. That's probably selfish of me, but I don't care. I'm playing this game for me after all, no one else.

Other people will have different opinions of course, but that doesn't bother me.

Edit: spelling ninja.gif

Edited by platedlizard

Some think this is what helped drive the frills to extinction--it's easier to dislike something when you take it thinking it's something else, even if what you do get isn't bad.

Thoughts?

I agree with this, and it is sad the frills had to be discontinued. They were not the most beautiful dragon but it would have been nice to just have the sprit retired and not the dragon breed. Maybe a new sprit that is a little more apealing to the eye would have been nice....or a diffrent sprit for the female?

Anyways I don't like it too much but that just means I'll have to go to the AP more. I don't like the gamble on the main page because you can't abandon those eggs you get for a few hours and if they are no use to me they either get tossed to the AP or if they are unpopulare are bitten by my vamps (and those vamps are rather hungry) I would rather have a dead egg from my vamp than an egg I don't need or want.

I agree with this, and it is sad the frills had to be discontinued. They were not the most beautiful dragon but it would have been nice to just have the sprit retired and not the dragon breed. Maybe a new sprit that is a little more apealing to the eye would have been nice....or a diffrent sprit for the female?

Lyth had plans to add a Male sprite to the Frills (the original was supposed to represent the female). Of course, it never happened >:

</offtopic>