angelicdragonpuppy

Same-Name Eggs ( Descriptions )

Does giving the same name to different eggs add anything to the game?  

488 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people here. It is frustrating to have eggs with the same description, and will inevitably lead to more hate on the Spitfires. I personally am not terribly fond of the striped dragons, but I do like the Spitfires. But I fear that people will get a million spitfires thinking they're stripes, and eventually just start killing the spitfires or something, which solves nothing.

Also, as someone else said, it will lead to the AP being clogged by spitfire eggs, as it is sometimes with horse dragons. So I have to say I really do not like the same descriptions :C

Yeah, I personally HATE it. I am a stripe hunting fool...so having the new eggs with the same title upsets me!!!

I did not realize that there were new eggs, and I got really pumped when I saw the "stripes" in the cave. I catch one, and I was like "What the heck..."

If TJ could change the names of the eggs that would be great...although, there are other changes I would prefer first. Teleport...mmm...stuff like that.

I'm not a fan of it, myself. I always thought that they should be really similar with one word differences or something if it's supposed to be a challenge in some way. That way if you're hunting for a certain kind, then you might spaz-click the wrong one, or you'll hesitate too long reading the correct one and miss it. The only egg I ever looked for with a shared description was a skywing, and gotta say, was pretty glad when I stopped getting frills instead, and my chances with from 25% to 33%. Not much, but, it helps.

I guess I can see it as a challenge, though, even if I find it a somewhat arbitrary one. I prefer challenges where the player has some amount of control instead of random chance.

I'm split. I like playing the "lotto" is fun, but only when 2 eggs share the same description. And it only seems fair that both eggs share the same rarity. Having a rare/common or uncommon/common combo makes things too difficult, and has the potential of making the least desired of the combo a breed people will begin to dislike.

Ugh, I really hate it.

When the frills were being discontinued, I trued searching for them in the cave.

All i got was horses

its rly confusing!!!

Ugh, I really hate it.

When the frills were being discontinued, I trued searching for them in the cave.

All i got was horses

its rly confusing!!!

Thats because TJ had already disabled the eggs in the cave, and then gave people time to breed them.

I got a low time CB egg just under a week after they stopped appearing. I THINK I interupted a trade, but I didnt find anything on the LiT.

And for anyone who would like 2nd gen stripes, I have one CB. Her mate is a bred Silver, but I have male CB's I can breed her too. I also have her daughter who needs a mate, but I cant decide what I should breed for: red, green or Blues?

I agree with most of the others here. I'm not a fan of the eggs having similar names. I had no internet access until about the 7th, and as soon as I logged on again, the first thing I saw was what I thought was a Stripe egg in the cave, I pounced on it, realized it was something new. And that's how I found out there'd been a new cave release.

I didn't grab that egg hoping for something other than a Stripe. I grabbed that egg because the description was for a Stripe, so you know... I expected it would be a Stripe.

I don't like eggs sharing the exact same wording. Extremely similar wording, that'd be fine, because then I'd actually have some say in the matter when it came to clicking or not. Also, the idea that the flooding of Spitfire eggs will make Stripes easier to catch is faulty.

I don't like different eggs having the same description. Each egg is lovely and beautiful on it's own and making them have the same description is just an annoyance and will be an issue.

Thiiis.

As Nectaris mentioned, some artists choose to have the same egg description for their sprites as one that's already in-cave. Knowing that more of this is coming, I am incredibally frustrated.

I'm sure many people have already stated their reasons for disliking this turn of events, so I won't ramble on here. But it really does get on my nerves at times, especially when I'm looking for a specific kind of egg.

They add something to the game all right. They add annoyance, frustration, game resentment, and egg-hate.

I think it's okay having some commons have the same description, but it's risky. A lot of people are going to end up annoyed and hating certain breeds >.> I don't mind playing the lottery sometimes, but I have all the 'strange' breeds I need, so it doesn't matter much to me.

I remember back when the Blunas came out, Skywings were in high demand and clicking on a 'strange' egg resulted in a generally unwanted, and subsequently abandoned, egg along with a lot of frustration.

Now we have a rare egg sharing a description with a common one? >.< I still need a pair of CB Stripes and now I'm going to have to cycle through a bunch of Spitfires before I can get one. Don't get me wrong, I love the Spitfires, but I don't need a hundred of them. It's not the way I play. I feel kind of like I'm being forced to build armies of certain breeds, as I feel bad for dropping four eggs to the AP after the holding time.

As for trading for Stripes, well, there are a lot of players, including me, who don't have a whole lot worth that much. And what about the people not on the forum? *shrug*

In conclusion (lol I'm a rambler), I think it's more annoying than entertaining. Commons I can understand, but IMHO, rares should have their own descriptions.

I don't even like it for Commons. I've only grabbed "strange markings" eggs out of the Cave a few times, simply because I don't LIKE not knowing what I'm grabbing, and even then it's like "OMG NOT ANOTHER OCHREDRAKE". And it's not even that I dislike Ochres, it's just that I don't really see the need to collect them since I can't breed them with anything else. But continually grabbing an egg I DO NOT WANT and was tricked into getting, and am now stuck with for at least 5 hours, really gets frustrating, and it makes me like Ochres a lot less. Which is precisely what happened with the Frills.

...you can't even Bite Ochres. Gah. There's not even the hope of Repulsing to skip the 5 hour wait.

And since I said that, I guess I better say that I don't MIND the 5 hour wait--- when it's my own fault. If I spazz-click another freaking Dino that I don't want, then dammit I'd better learn to stop clicking the white spot eggs. But if I'm looking for a purple pony and I click an egg with the RIGHT description, and it's NOT what I want, and now I'm STUCK with it, that makes me exasperated.

I think it's okay having some commons have the same description, but it's risky. A lot of people are going to end up annoyed and hating certain breeds >.> I don't mind playing the lottery sometimes, but I have all the 'strange' breeds I need, so it doesn't matter much to me.

I remember back when the Blunas came out, Skywings were in high demand and clicking on a 'strange' egg resulted in a generally unwanted, and subsequently abandoned, egg along with a lot of frustration.

Now we have a rare egg sharing a description with a common one? >.< I still need a pair of CB Stripes and now I'm going to have to cycle through a bunch of Spitfires before I can get one. Don't get me wrong, I love the Spitfires, but I don't need a hundred of them. It's not the way I play. I feel kind of like I'm being forced to build armies of certain breeds, as I feel bad for dropping four eggs to the AP after the holding time.

As for trading for Stripes, well, there are a lot of players, including me, who don't have a whole lot worth that much. And what about the people not on the forum? *shrug*

In conclusion (lol I'm a rambler), I think it's more annoying than entertaining. Commons I can understand, but IMHO, rares should have their own descriptions.

Well, do we actually know the new one is common?

At the rate we're getting other-than-new eggs in the Cave, compared to the commons released, this might well be an uncommon.

That won't stop the frustration, obviously, either way.

And I know most of us generally won't have anything anywhere near good enough to offer for a Stripe in trade, and the odds are pretty good most people catching a Stripe from here on in won't part with it for love AND money.

But I don't know what else to do or suggest...

The Spitfire is starting under a horrendous disadvantage as it stands, and the more... can't call them misclicks, really, can you?... wrong-egg results? people have, the more annoyance will build.

If the people most likely to be seriously fouled up by the perpetual lock thing just give up hunting Stripes and try to trade when they can for them, there'll at least be be fewer comments about how people were perpetually trying for spearmint gum and got the stupid, rotten, frickin' fracken peppermint gum AGAIN because they both only say 'mint' on the package, not really meaning anything against the peppermint, which they like sometimes but didn't want right now...

If I had a better suggestion, I wouldn't be planning a strategic hide-away under my pillow for the ugly-fest I'm afraid is likely to result.

I think most of us have enough stress in RL and come here to relax, have fun and heal a bit from that...

I don't like it at all, to be honest. :/

At first it was kinda fun because it was new, and it was interesting that some of the eggs have the same description. However, later it became annoying when I got "strange markings" egg which turned out to be one that I didn't want, and then being stuck with it for 5 hours before I could dump it - to the point that I wouldn't even pick up "strange markings" eggs from the cave any more, even though I do need a few more CBs. I found it better to just grab from the AP if I really wanted one.

Now that stripes have the same description as another egg, that's become even worse. CB stripes are practically non-existent nowadays, and I don't want to click on a "bright markings" egg just to get a spitfire. (And no, I don't have anything against spitfires. I like them. I just want a CB stripe. dry.gif )

I think that having same name is ok as long as they have equal chance of occuring. Thus, Ochredrake/Dragonhorse/Skywing having same description is fine and is only fun as long as there is equal chance (33 %) of getting either of them.

However, Spitfire and Stripe having same description is disastrous if Spitfire continues to be as common as it is now. If 99.9 % of the "bright markings" eggs are Spitfires, that completely kills hunting for Stripes, and that's a bad thing, because it only gives less gameplay, not more.

Well, I think the results of the poll, and people's posts in this thread, make it very obvious--shared descriptions are a bad idea, and they aren't something that most of the community wants. We don't mind a challenge, but we want an honest challenge; we don't like being tricked or deceived into clicking something we don't want, and then we especially don't like having to hold onto the unwanted egg for 5 hours. Not everyone has an infinite amount of time to play DC, so for many people, getting locked with unwanted eggs is enough to spoil their playing time for an entire day, all for the sake of eggs that they'll ultimately abandon, meaning the poor person is nowhere nearer to completing their scroll goals.

The question, though, is what do we do about it? How can we convince TJ and/or the artists to stop doing this to us? I don't know how much free time TJ has or how much time he is able to spend on the forums. Is he even aware of how frustrating the shared descriptions are for the community? Perhaps someone (preferably only one person, we don't want to flood his inbox and annoy him) could send him a polite PM expressing our concerns, and showing him some links to threads where we've discussed the shared descriptions. This thread obviously, but there were also some similar threads in the suggestions forum a while back.

Perhaps we could also PM the artists who designed the dragons which share descriptions, and ask them to ask TJ to change the egg descriptions. TJ is generally pretty amenable to artists' wishes when it comes to their concepts. Coming from random users, the request holds little weight, but coming from the artist who designed the dragon, maybe TJ might change his mind.

In the meantime, perhaps we could propose solutions that would be of use to people who are trying to obtain CB stripes. There's a couple of things I can think of:

-Breed your spitfires! The more bred spitfire eggs, the fewer CB spitfire eggs, and thus the better everyone's chances of getting a CB stripe. Breed your spitfires and abandon them to the AP, better yet, raise them to hatchlinghood and abandon them or freeze and release them. If you catch an ER spitfire egg, make sure it survives long enough to be a hatchling, and then put it back on the AP, or freeze it, or freeze and release it. Anything to make sure it gets counted as a spitfire in the ratios.

-Don't breed your stripes as much! If you're working on a specific lineage project involving stripes, then by all means continue, but if you normally breed your stripes every week for no specific reason, consider stopping or at least breeding them less. If you've got a stripe/metallic pair, consider switching the stripe out for something else, to reduce the number of stripe eggs you produce. The fewer bred stripes, the more CB stripes. If you've got multiple different lineage projects, consider working on your other projects for now and putting your stripes project on the back burner.

-Have a back-up plan to "kill" your spitfire eggs if you get locked. This one is actually counter-intuitive, because a dead spitfire egg means another one will appear in the cave or somewhere else. But if you're locked with spitfire eggs and you've got limited playing time, I wouldn't blame you if you tried to find a way around the lock. After all, you're here to have fun, and those eggs are getting in the way of your fun. Load up on pebbles and use "Earthquake". You might kill some of the spitfire eggs, meaning you're unlocked again (but don't use it if you've got any valuable eggs). If your EQ doesn't kill the egg, it might result in "no effect" (in which case you're no worse off then before you EQ'd), or you might get a hatchling! Score! But it might run off the the AP. If you're fresh out of pebbles, you might consider "Bite"...but since biting only has a 25% chance of repulsion, it's not the best idea. The other option is to post that egg on every fan site you know of, and possibly every forum signature you have. If you overload it with views, you might be able to kill it in only a few short hours.

On the "backup option to kill": ...or you could just wait five hours. It's not the end of the world. You all act as if being locked for five hours is pretty much the WORST THING EVARRR. Go outside and run around.

I like the multiple description eggs. It teaches people patience. If you really want a stripe or horse or skywing so badly, then just be patient and put up with it. If you can't be patient enough to wait five hours, then maybe you don't want the egg that badly.

On the "backup option to kill": ...or you could just wait five hours. It's not the end of the world. You all act as if being locked for five hours is pretty much the WORST THING EVARRR. Go outside and run around.

I like the multiple description eggs. It teaches people patience. If you really want a stripe or horse or skywing so badly, then just be patient and put up with it. If you can't be patient enough to wait five hours, then maybe you don't want the egg that badly.

No, 5 hours isn't the end of the world. Nothing to do with DC could possibly be "the end of the world." And if getting locked for 5 hours with unwanted eggs only happened once or a few times, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But when there's one specific egg that you desperately need for the sake of your DC goals, and you keep getting locked with eggs with the same description over and over and over and over again, it breeds frustration and resentment. It turns a fun game into a chore and a bore. None of us is here so someone else can "teach us patience." We're here to have fun. And if the game ceases to be fun for some people because of the shared descriptions, that's a problem.

And there's plenty of situations in which having a back-up plan to kill the offending egg would be useful. Let's say someone loads up on spitfire eggs at 8:00 p.m. while hunting stripes. The person's scroll is locked, and they have to go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. because they have school or work the next day, yet they'd like one more chance to hunt for the eggs they actually want. If they wait the full five hours, as you suggest, then they won't be able to abandon until they've already been asleep for a few hours. And maybe their schedule when they first wake up in the morning is so rushed that they don't have time to play on DC, so they'd have to wait until they get home from work/school the next day before they have another chance to hunt...so basically they'd have to wait nearly 24 hours for another chance at a stripe. Not fun.

But if they've got a back-up plan to kill the unwanted eggs, whether it be EQing or view-bombing, then they stand a chance of being able to do some hunting again before they go to bed. It's possible that they might get nothing but spitfires again, but at least they have another chance to try and possibly get what they actually wanted to begin with.

I hate it.

Look what happened to the Frills because they shared a description :/

I don't like it at all.....

Especially with the empty AP! It's no fun to hunt anything at the moment, because in the cave are too much eggs i don't want to click on because I don't like gambling and I can't hunt the AP because there are no eggs in it sad.gif

I end up by taking an egg i really don't want because I don't have the time to wait an hour for something I less don't want........

and is it me or is the cave extremly laggie at the moment? I clicked on a egg and got a totally different one :/

or have dorsals and Stones now the same-name too? tongue.gif

I really like it. It make it all much funnier and more of an surprise :3

I like the surprise element - and if it's really something you don't want you can abandon it!

The question, though, is what do we do about it? How can we convince TJ and/or the artists to stop doing this to us? I don't know how much free time TJ has or how much time he is able to spend on the forums. Is he even aware of how frustrating the shared descriptions are for the community? Perhaps someone (preferably only one person, we don't want to flood his inbox and annoy him) could send him a polite PM expressing our concerns, and showing him some links to threads where we've discussed the shared descriptions. This thread obviously, but there were also some similar threads in the suggestions forum a while back.

Well maybe one could make a slight change in either Spitfire or Stripe description - for instance "This egg has brightly colored markings on it" for Spitfire and "This egg has brightly colored stripes on it" for Stripes.

In that way, you'll still have to be carefull to not mistake one for the other (a bit like Water and Water Walkers), but you still have the possibility to either recognize the Stripe instead of having to go through a gazillion Spitfires - and wait five times as many hours to abandon them - before you get one.

And to those who say "it's not that long time" - perhaps not. But if you're not on DC 24/7, it's pretty annoying to have to "burn" your time by locking yourself with something you don't want, if you only have perhaps 30 minutes to hunt in. And like I said, if chance is fair to get the right egg (like 33 % for each of the "strange marking") it's ok, but if chance is perhaps 0.1 % to get a Stripe, it's idiocy.

I dont really like it...Though its cool how it adds that "oooh what will it be?" factor, it gets hard to collect ones you need that are CB

/is planning on hoarding Pebbles and killing every single Spitfire that gets on her scroll after her current batch hatches and grows up.

I do not have the time to wait 5 hours, nor do I want to. Srsly. I have a life outside of DC. >_>

Edited by Trope

I don't like it, at all. There's no joy in the "which one is it?" mystery for me. I like to know what I'm getting.

That said, to everyone talking about the "rarity" of the stripes: the stripes aren't rare. The reason there are no CB stripes is the same as the reason we have no CB blacks - people won't stop breeding. If the stripes weren't overbred, the chances of getting a stripe and a spitfire would probably be more even.

Edited by AngelKitty