bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Squeals in delight! AOND just updated my scroll!!!

Wouldn't it be better to put the site offline until you work out all the issues? That way [...] nobody would put their eggs at risk. Just MHO.

This is the best idea yet. I'd been thinking about that for the past couple days, but was hoping it wouldn't come to such extremes. Since it has now been mentioned a few times here, as well, though, and since the dreaded Real Life is likely to get in the way over the weekend, I guess it's time. sad.gif

As for what the problem is/was... There are two definites.

The first was too much traffic. That's what caused the white-screened error about being over capacity. That doesn't seem to be surfacing much or at all, by now, so the mad rush for new eggs seems to have passed. The server upgrade AoND went through quite a while ago was supposed to cover increased traffic, but apparently it didn't do quite what it should have.

The remaining major issue is that AoND can't seem to communicate with DC, at all, in any way. Going through the API, page-scraping, even just a simple ping, nothing gets through. As far as AoND can tell, DC is down. Everything I can try, find, or otherwise determine points to that being a problem with the host.

Beyond that, I'm sure there are all kinds of issues and bottlenecks in the site's code -- I've been saying forever that I'd like to sit down and do some massive updates, enough to effectively be redoing the site from scratch, but that takes time. However, this same code withstood the Lagmonster way back when, survived years of new releases (both holiday and permanent ones, with a single new breed and multiple), and the associated traffic spikes. So while it may not be ideal, it certainly is not horrendous or site-killing, either.

I'm not sure when the site will return to full functionality. My current plan is to take it down for the weekend, though, to save everyone the trouble of worrying about its status and/or stuck dragons. After that, we'll see where the fixing leads.

bbik I am not kidding I was literally in the process of adding my eggs when you took it down. xd.png At least it's getting fixed. -lol-

Hope you get the site back up soon. I miss it. I am having trouble getting my eggs hatched without having to ER them. Good luck in resolving the problems.

Thanks for the update, and looking forward to a new, improved AOND (as soon as RL permits biggrin.gif ).

Best of luck to you! I wish a speedy and uneventful recovery for the site, when you get around to it! =)

Is here another site I can check my dragons for inbreed?

Egg Drop Soup and Eggs around the World both do inbred checks, too.

The remaining major issue is that AoND can't seem to communicate with DC, at all, in any way. Going through the API, page-scraping, even just a simple ping, nothing gets through. As far as AoND can tell, DC is down. Everything I can try, find, or otherwise determine points to that being a problem with the host.

Apart from the fact that you are not allowed to do page scraping anyway (since it causes way more load than performing API requests, if you have a specific issue with the API, like missing informations, contact TJ09), you are performing way to many individual requests.

This has probably triggered the firewall on the Dragcave server, DoS protection rule. This type of rule kicks in, when an individual IP causes more connections than usual and will lock you off for a certain time. When the IP ban is removed, you are able to connect to the dragcave for a few seconds / minutes before the ban is reapplied (due to exceeding the limits again).

I assume you are still using the clean script I released in the "how to code a hatchery" thread, consider updating it. Current version should do the cleanup cron job with only 4-10 API requests (depending on the number of ERs), opposed to several hundreds. Replace it, and you will be able to avoid triggering the firewall rule again.

Good luck bbik! Hopefully AoND will be back up and running soon. <3

Is here another site I can check my dragons for inbreed?

Valley Sherwood has an inbred checker that will highlight the inbred-causing dragons for you- but it only checks/displays 7 generations at once.

Eggs Around the World does a thorough check and gives you the codes of the culprits, but no direct links to them; nor does it have any visual display. As far as I can tell, it's roughly analogous to Allure's 'default' check- it only counts the dragons that were directly responsible for the inbreeding and doesn't count their ancestors as additional repeats.

Well, the EATW version does check all generations by default (not only the first 7 or so) and I will replace it with this version soon: http://dc.makegames.de/lineage.php (Inbreed checker (not only duplicates, but shows you where the inbreeding actually occured), lineage viewer for up to 15 generations).

Edited by Ext3h

I have managed to get into the site at times over the last couple of days, but it was definitely more miss than hit. I love this site, and hope the work goes well, because you will be missed while the site is down, even if there are other good temporary sites to fill your niche.

Here's looking forward to your triumphant return! <3

Good luck, and hope the site gets up and running again -- if not, I have alternatives I'd be rather comfy using. Best wishes.

Edited by Ashes The Second

Aww... the site has been taken offline for the time being. Right when I find out I have a sick egg and need the unfog alarm :<

Good luck on trying to fix it, and although I could use other sites, AoND is the one I feel most comfortable using especially since I never had a sick egg/hatchling as I used only AoND, so I'm looking forward on seeing it back up smile.gif

bbik, I just looked in on TAoND to see if any progress had been made (ever the optimistic aussie).

Read your message there and I just have to say, well done! I've worked in IT management for years, 35 years in the business in all, I'm just a veteran kid where games are concerned and DC is one I share with other family members. The point is your message, providing both information and alternatives while you try to sort problems out is an example many IT departments would do well to learn from. I have no idea whether you work in IT yourself, but we are sadly an industry that too often produces poor results and little, if any, information. Considering you built and maintain your site for your own and others enjoyment, with no reward other than a job well done, you show a level of "customer" care and professionalism that many of my colleagues do not. Also I'm delighted to have your example to now lambast others in my industry with.

Again, thank you and well dome!

I hope that the side will be on next week T-T

I feel very sorry what happend there. I like the side very much. It's one of may three main fans sides.

Edit: For users who just using The Allure. A side wich is most like this is the Eggs Aroud the World side. You will find it at the blue banner in my sig. Your eggs will be put into the ER automaticly when they surpas the day 4 mark.

Edited by Draconis92

Apart from the fact that you are not allowed to do page scraping anyway...

Apart from the fact that it doesn't even matter, you mean? Since AoND can't reach DC, and therefore DC's server has no knowledge that it was even attempted, and certainly isn't concerned about load that doesn't exist. I tried it as confirmation that nothing was working, not to avoid using the API.

I assume you are still using the clean script I released in the "how to code a hatchery" thread, consider updating it. Current version should do the cleanup cron job with only 4-10 API requests (depending on the number of ERs)

I never used your script. I saw right away that it had issues. That said, the entire daycare gets cleaned with that many, or fewer, API calls. The ER is done with a single call, unless it's really full. Get off your high horse and quit assuming that everything you do is right, everything anyone else does is wrong or bad, and that everyone worships you and jumps to follow your lead. I'm not against people who want to help, but I am getting very tired of you putting down other fansites almost every time you post in one of their threads. I would love to think it's just a language barrier issue, but you seem perfectly capable of remaining civil and helpful in your own thread, so I'm having trouble believing it's not intentional.

As for the current status...

It's been roughly 24 hours that the site has been down. The main site, the banners, the cleaner, everything. No API calls, no massive numbers of users, nothing. DC is still entirely unreachable. I will be contacting the host again to let them know they need to get their act in gear if they intend to retain customers. Hopefully it'll work this time...

Aaa, good luck with getting it back up!

Edited by Wild