bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

*waits patiently for the best egg hatchery* I love Allure. I've used nothing else really in years. I hope everything gets resolved and fixed soon. But I am in support taking as much time as need you need, bbik, to get it perfect again!

I am sorry to see the site down. bbik you do an awesome job keeping us informed and updated. While it is sad to see my eggs only getting a few views (and I mean few.. like really 3) an hour. You site is the top site we all use. I think we can handle a couple of days you deal with real life and have a wonderful weekend. I and most of us appreciate what you do Thank You!!

I know we are speaking in emails bbik, but still, I would like to wish you luck repairing your site, and if you need a second pair of eyes to look over something, I can always make another coffee to keep me going to help you out.

Bad timing; just over a week ago you were asking for donations to keep the site going and finally met the goal, but the site goes down anyways.

Bad timing; just over a week ago you were asking for donations to keep the site going and finally met the goal, but the site goes down anyways.

That money was for the server renewal payment, nothing else. It seems the site was starting to crash, and now bbik is trying to fix it.

That money was for the server renewal payment, nothing else. It seems the site was starting to crash, and now bbik is trying to fix it.

well, that's right. and it is bad timing, but anytime a fansite goes down it's bad timing, and just plain bad luck.

I am sure that everything is being done to get it up and running again, and I wish them the best of luck and chase that bad luck away!

Deb

I don't know where the site is hosted, but I know I've been having a ton of problems with internet in my area, with it being up then going down then coming back up again.

Here's hoping it comes back soon! I love Allure.

Cheers!

C4.

I agree, it's horrible timing, with the combination of just renewing the domain and the hosting, the release, and this being an extra-busy time of year for me. And the fact that this happened just after we renewed is why I'm that much more annoyed about it, too.

As for the current status... The host is still denying anything is wrong. I'm contacting TJ to double-check that everything is good at his end, but beyond that, it's a very uphill battle right now. I was so hoping it'd be resolved by the time I got home from work today. I guess not. sad.gif Sorry, everyone. sad.gif

Wishing you the best of luck with getting it all sorted out.

*shovels heaps of good luck your way*

Thank you very, very much for keeping us informed. Usually people don't give a darn if their customers don't know anything. That is the most important reason I like to use AOND, it keeps you informed. biggrin.gif

AOND is like half of DC for me, using DC without it just isn't as much fun or easy.

Heaps of luck to you!

I'm sending more good thoughts your way, trying to visualize your path to the solution clearing with the solution falling neatly into place.

I do know the traffic was heavier than I've ever seen it, both on AoND and in the Cave, and when it was at the worst for your site, there were also many of us using the Cave who were also experiencing weird intermittent lag. Any chance it was the same problem as the Cave's?

From what I saw, other fansites were down at times, too. I got 504 and 502 messages from EATW and Silvi's as well, although not as frequently, and they both had fewer dragons on their sites than what you were dealing with.

Anyway, you are really missed here, so again, good luck with the work! <3

Hope the solution comes quickly, I enjoy this site. Thanks as well for the time and effort put into the site smile.gif

I think I may have been thinking too much about this. I dreamt that the site was back up and working. I added my eggs and hatchlings but most people hadn't realized it was working again so I worried that they still wouldn't get many views. rolleyes.gif

Here's to hoping it gets fixed quickly and wishing you luck in problem solving!

From what I saw, other fansites were down at times, too.  I got 504 and 502 messages from EATW and Silvi's as well, although not as frequently, and they both had fewer dragons on their sites than what you were dealing with.

The 503 message that people were getting sometimes during the peak of the release was unrelated to the (massive!) number of dragons on the site. It was because there were sometimes over 600 requests to access AoND at once, between people visiting the site itself, pre-existing outdated signature banners getting updated, up-to-date cached banners being loaded, and the auto-cleaner doing its thing. That's quite a bit of load. And, as it turns out, the setup AoND has right now is not even close to the right one for something like that. None of that is what's causing the problems right now, though. AoND is simply unable to communicate with DC, right now, no matter how major or minor the traffic. sad.gif

As for the current status...

TJ has confirmed that nothing changed on his end, so it's still the in-denial host's problem, like I thought. I'm still fighting with them in the hopes of a short-term solution. Though after this much time, it's not particularly short anymore. mad.gif

Beyond that, I am actively looking at other hosting options. The end goal would be to get the site running on nginx (which should single-handedly solve all of the lag and over-capacity problems AoND has been seeing more often lately), and give it a more memorable domain name at the same time. I'm not sure how long that will take, between finding a decent host (Does anyone have any suggestions/warnings?), getting the domain set up, getting API access for the new domain, and transferring the site over, but the current situation clearly isn't working very well anymore. As always, I'll keep you all posted if/when anything changes.

It might not even be the host's problem, but their connection ... I've stumbled upon the issue of simply inaccessible sites from one computer in one city, while they actually are up and alive and accessible from another computer in the next city (with another internet provider).

I suspect it's either a Domain Name Server issue, or a routing problem - some servers on the way may just block traffic to specific sites/servers, for whatever reason.

If your host gets a "Server not found" from dragcave, it might be a similar issue as the ones I'm having, in which case either a new host might be able to help, OR your hoster can figure out what's wrong and tell me how to solve that issue biggrin.gif

For me, nginx and lighttpd hogged lots of memory & made my site slower so I decided to stick with apache. Not sure how your scripts work but you should try to see if it works out.

Good luck.

Edited by Derek

It's kinda silly, but I'm really in influence tracker withdrawal right now. :/ I'm taking screenshots of every influence, because they get lost within hours on my log, and I need to know these things! (Besides, for trading purposes, one often needs proof of influence anyway.)

I miss you, AoND! Get well soon! sleep.gif

Yay! Thank you for my tracker, bbik! happy.gif

Edited by ShaladorsLady

For me, nginx and lighttpd hogged lots of memory & made my site slower so I decided to stick with apache. Not sure how your scripts work but you should try to see if it works out.

Really? That's exactly the opposite to everything I've found researching online. Interesting.

As for the Extras, I've been debating allowing the non-API-reliant pages again, via direct link only, to at least let people use those features, even if the rest is still offline/non-functional. Adding exceptions for that many pages could be annoying, though. I'll look into it and see how many there would actually be.

Edit: There were actually only a handful of pages, so I've re-enabled those ones at least (Trackers, Clock, ToD tutorial). I emptied the database of all dragons, as well, since most are grown and the rest shouldn't get views when they can't be managed properly. Please let me know if something still seems off about those pages!

Also, what do you guys think? Should I re-enable to Extras and Help pages as well, even though most of the links won't work? Or is the current access enough?

Edited by bbik

I would leave it as is.