bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Hi all!  I'm still alive, but swamped with life stuff, even more than one would expect given this crazy past year.  A few notes, though:

• The domain and hosting have been renewed for another three years.  Previous donations covered about half the cost; I paid the remaining $150 out of pocket.  If any of you are willing and able to help defray those costs and keep the site ad-free, I would appreciate it!
  • I am working on a better way to track site improvements, starting with figuring out where I left off on ones already in progress.  I am hoping this will make it easier for me to get them pushed out quicker in the future, but it's a long ways down the road right now.  But in that vein:
    • I'll make a note about the daylight savings issue and see if I can work that out for next year (I expect it's only an issue going in one direction, right now, given the observations posted).
    • I know a few of you have reached out directly with suggestions and concerns.  I haven't intentionally ignored you, but I please know that I have your items on my list, and they actually fit in very well with some other improvements I've been wanting to make.
    • I'm debating a major overhaul, at least behind the scenes, but possible of the pages you all see, as well.  Historically, AoND users have enjoyed the option to continue using the site with full functionality, even if JavaScript is disabled in their browser.  It looks like many of the fansites no longer work that way, nor does much of the internet in general.  How many people still use AoND without JavaScript, and/or would be upset if that ability were removed?  I haven't made any decisions yet, but that is one option I could consider.

In the meantime, if any of you notice issues with the site, or have any comments, let me know!  I check this thread periodically.  Alternatively, a direct message on this forum is the quickest way to make sure I see it, though odds are I won't reply immediately.

Here's to at least three more happy years!

Welcome back! :)

My 2 cents regarding Javascript: I generally dislike pages that require me to enable scripts from all over the web instead of just their own domain. I prefer self-contained websites.

And Paypal now apparently requires me to have my mobile on hand which I don't ...

I refused to allow that. Not least as I have no mobile signal at home and am not about to use paypal on a public connection. Paypal now OCCASIONALLY calls my landline.

46 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I refused to allow that. Not least as I have no mobile signal at home and am not about to use paypal on a public connection. Paypal now OCCASIONALLY calls my landline.

I never allowed it either, yet they do it.

Can't get onto the site, it seems to spit out an error message about the IP address of the server not being found?

This is the additional line of code from the error: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN 

Anyone else seeing lots of broken images lately? I have both Allure and Valley Sherwood open right now, and Sherwood is absolutely fine but Allure is looking like this:

83933459fc39008553888fa045adfd11.png

I have seen that at times, but usually it clears the next time it refreshes. May have to do with lag on DC.

Allure is down for me right now. Anyone else? Is it down for me says it's running, but I can't access it from any device.

Edit: nevermind, it's back up!

Edited by FarawayCreatures

hey, I'm on a mission to have one of every dragon in my cave, so anyone have any advice on getting the neglect dragons?

I know I need to go as late as possible, then slap that egg every I can, but I wonder if there's a better way?

2 hours ago, MetatheGamer said:

hey, I'm on a mission to have one of every dragon in my cave, so anyone have any advice on getting the neglect dragons?

I know I need to go as late as possible, then slap that egg every I can, but I wonder if there's a better way?

You should find the help you need in this thread:

I am having trouble with Zum 76 Trombones and seeing just HOW inbred he is. I mean, I know he's inbred, a quick look at his lineage page shows that (Lineage - Zum 76 Trombones - Dragon Cave (dragcave.net)) but I can't convince the AOND website to have a full go at him, and I am sad about that.

While I am disappointed in that, I don't need that, so it's not too big a deal. 

Edit: Nevermind, it just took a like literal minute. because this:362068809_Screenshot2021-10-04164827.png.06280ad9560e1dec701f5f4c25ebe17c.png

Edited by amthystfire

Is there a limit on how many codes you can put into the inbred checker until it doesn't actually check? I inputted like 40+ and it doesn't seem to be registering duplicates anymore as when I intentionally put one that is already in the lineage, the offspring check doesn't show up as inbred.

Is anyone else noticing an issue with refreshing? I set Allure to refresh every 1 minute, and usually I can go to other tabs and do stuff, but the past week or so it seems like it often 'forgets' that I've set it to refresh? Sometimes it won't refresh at all unless I manually refresh, sometimes it will refresh for a few minutes and then just stop. 

I had not noticed that, but you are right. At some point after I left that screen, it stopped refreshing.

I hit submit again and it started up again, but I don't know for how long.

It seemed to be a passing thing. It is okay for me now, too.