maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Used to know a lot of it when I was younger, I was really into website development. Sadly almost all of that knowledge came from Microsoft Frontpage, a product which they don't even develop any more tongue.gif

I took an html crash course during my computer science intro class in spring 2010 term, just enough to get the jist of how it works, but for most of the creative stuff I have to look up the code still.

I took a computer programming class my sophomore year in high school. But it was more of a blow-off class than anything else; I didn't learn as much from it as I would've liked. So I only know the dirt basics of HTML/JavaScript. It's something I'd like to learn more about later on, I'm quite interested in web building.

I'm pretty good at coding HTML and CSS, although I haven't done it in a while. I do enjoy designing websites though, and if I had time for it I'd probably use it as another form of income.

I learned the basics via an online school ages ago and made a very simple homepage in Notepad. xd.png

I'm self-taught HTML and CSS. =) Learning a bit of Javascript, PHP and MySQL. I need to put a lot of it into practice though. =)

From what I hear, with CSS, frames have gone out of date, no? Scrolling text boxes can also be done in CSS. =) It's fairly quick to learn.

I used to know both HTML and CSS, but now only remember the very basics of HTML and ziltch of CSS. Fortunately I have a couple tutorial sites bookmarked should I need a 'refuser' on either.

Which appears to have come from the following website:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html

You made some minor changes to the title and body text, but other than that it's a direct C&P as far as I can tell.

I know attribution has gone out of fashion, but still, it's only polite (and ethical) to indicate your sources.

There aren't very many unique ways to have a basic page that displays "Hello world" in correct HTML.

It isn't particularly hard to learn, either - I'm self-taught, despite having a ton of books on the subject in my house (dad is a web designer). I never had the patience for the books so I learned without them.

It isn't particularly hard to learn, either - I'm self-taught, despite having a ton of books on the subject in my house (dad is a web designer). I never had the patience for the books so I learned without them.

I did this myself.

Now I can admit to never having much patience with making websites either, but I can understand the code fine and edit it just as easily, I just don't make it myself that often (when I do I get bored in a flash).

I took a course on html, it was Gifted Learning Links if anyone knows what that is. I think it's pretty fun. Then again, I think all programming is pretty fun, especially tedious code.(which html is not)

arrgh! I made some html documents this spring and now they don't look right. I.e. it doesn't display borders in some places, my video won't show up, etc. Anyone know what's going on?

arrgh! I made some html documents this spring and now they don't look right. I.e. it doesn't display borders in some places, my video won't show up, etc. Anyone know what's going on?

I don't know about the borders, but your video not showing up might be because you moved or deleted the file. Other than that, I'd have to look at it to have a better understanding of why.

Does anyone have recommendations for a new monitor? My current resolution isn't really letting my graphics card live up to its potential.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster EX2220, and while I think it's a little on the big side, it didn't cost an arm and a leg and it looks very nice at 1900x1080. Only thing I dislike about it is the cable plug in the back isn't very snug.

If you're very concerned about how things look on your screen, keep in mind that an LCD outside its native resolution will look a bit fuzzy. Games on widescreen that aren't made for it stretch, too. Not sure if there's a way to letterbox them.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Has anyone tried the developer preview of Windows 8 yet? I took some screenshots inside a virtual machine, posted here: http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/Windows8Screens/

And yes, it's SFW.

EDIT: I've got it up and running as the primary OS on one of my older guinea pig desktops, and it runs REALLY well. I've got a framerate boost in pretty much every game I've tried as well as excellent compatibility and stability, considering that it's still pre-beta. The main issues I've run into are the wireless USB card that I have doesn't work (bad drivers) and AIM returns a connection error. Other than that, it's extraordinarily solid. I feel like Microsoft really has something here, 'cause compared to other versions of Windows, it's pretty well optimized.

Edited by War Pig Killer

does anyone know objective-c? I'm trying to learn it and I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

Don't double post, there's an edit button at the top of your post.

I can't say as I know any objective-c. The closest I know is C++. I would say I enjoy coding things that would be considered tedious by others.