maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Do you mind if I asked you guys who are better informed a question?

My router is currently using an WPA encryption. Therefore it will not allow my Wii or DS lite to connect with m Internet. I want to switch over to WEP encryption instead but I'm afraid that I will mess everything else up. I currently have three computers, one portable laptop and four other small hand-held devices hooked up to my connection successfully and I worried that if I switch, I will not be able to get them connected again. Right now, everything works smoothly.

So to sum it all up, will switching to a WEP encryption instead of a WPA encryption mess up all my current systems currently connected?

If anything's connected wirelessly, you'll just have to reenter the (now) WEP code. Other than that, you're all good. *thumbs up*

Anyway, I finally got a replacement power supply for my comp as well as a keyboard and an ambidextrous trackball mouse. I'm having fun learning to use it with my left hand. The mouse, I mean.

You may have to reconfigure a few things, basically set up for the other devices, but not a big deal.

I'm using WPA-TPIK and it works fine with my Wii. I haven't used my DS in years, so I don't know about that. My PSP and all other devices work too. You may need to update the firmware of the Wii.

The reason for WPA encryption is that it's pretty much the best. WEP is not quite as good as far as I'm concerned.

Since this is tech-talk... anyone know anything about the PSP?

I'm looking to output gameplay to a computer. I know it's possible to do to a TV, but my laptop doesn't have the proper video card, etc. as far as I know. I have a 3000 model. (USA model, can't remember the number designation.) Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by spyro76

Okay, this is probably a serious newb question, and its not about the computer, per say, but rather a particular program. Still, maybe someone here can help me out.

On excel, I've made a graph of some data. I need to insert my own function on top of the data to see how well it fits. Is there any way to do that? (Think something like a custom trendline.)

I used to use Blender, but I got seriously frustrated with it. With my sights lower though, I would like to try again sometime. Just need to redownload it.

I program in C++ quite often. Using QT I wrote an Othello game, and am writing an RPG. It's pretty fun stuff (though really hard too..)

Don't really know much about computers in general though..

hey guys sorry I haven't been on much.My local collage said I can come this september.

@Shaddowwarrior where do you get your C++ Complier?I can't find one that works on the computer.

@Completely Different What do you mean by function?

does anyone know what is wrong with this code it is saved as guess.bat and when i press 1 then one again in says noo sir e like it should.then when I press 1 then 2 or up in just says

2 (or any number higher than 2 and lower than 8)

press any button to contine.....

heres the code

@echo off

//A Game were you guess

:menu

cls

echo Welcome to the guessing game

echo 1)Begin

echo 2)Instructions

echo 3)Leave

set /p num=

if %num% == 1 goto Begin

if %num% == 2 goto Instructions

if %num% == 3 Exit

:Begin

cls

echo Guess a number

echo go a head guess!

set /p guess=

if %guess% == 1 echo Noo sir e.

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 2 echo Nope!

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 3 echo Try again!

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 4 echo I'm getting bored of this

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 5 echo Not even close

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 6 echo Good guess you won 1 game

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 7 echo Cold,colder,coldest

pause

exit

break

if %guess% == 8 echo You,lost

pause

exit

break

(I'm not done with it all yet)

Edited by maustin89

Hmm... doesn't look like it's reading your input, which could be the problem. I'm not as good at batch programming as I used to be, but I could do some research.

EDIT: Read this: http://www.computerhope.com/sethlp.htm

Edited by War Pig Killer

I'm not familiar with the language you're programming in, but it looks to me like it's returning to the beginning of the sequence every time?

lol me too.yep you can animate the shapes afterward.also if you know geomertry it will help becuase some of it is really comlicated Ex. user posted image

i hate myself for understanding that equation.

i know some html w/ css, pretty decent at java, C++, and python.

If only I could actually do any good programing. I can only use a little bit of scratch...

For anyone running Ubuntu...

The shell of what will become GNOME 3.0 is available. I had trouble getting it to work, so I wanted to post what I did. For some people, these instructions aren't necessary, but they might be if you have intel integrated graphics (like me) or it's just plain running slowly.

Instructions on building the shell can be found here. I strongly suggest compiling it instead of running sudo get-apt gnome-shell. Why? The one you build WILL be a newer version. Compiling took me roughly 15-20 minutes on my intel dual core 2.13 gHz. Execution instructions can be found there as well.

Start with the instructions listed on this page, before you execute gnome-shell.

Following the above instructions can also improve the performance of many games. Once you've done that, follow the instructions in the first link and execute gnome-shell.

@Alec

pretty decent at java, C++, and python.

those are the ones i want to learn right now im trying C++ then Java and maybe python.one other thing were did you get your C++ complier?i can't find one for free.

@War Pig Killer

I fixed the game I made.And Found a diffrent game I made that I was looking for. biggrin.gif

Java is a horrible language unless you're working in a huge team. Try lisp or pyfun or perl.

Edited by Kai

I love computers, but I'm more into making them work. I like fixing broken ones and building new shiny ones ^-^

I'm slowly self-teaching myself Visual Basic, Blender, GIMP, Photoshop Elements (came with my tablet), HTML, XHTML, and a little DOS. It's all very basic right now though, because I really only discovered computers two years ago and dove in headfirst last year.

I can make shiny dragons in GIMP that magically appear and disappear in a VB program at the click of a button, put it in a webpage, and that's about all I can do. Oh, and I can make funky blobby thingies in Blender that look kinda like cave trolls with water balloon heads

VB is largely obsolete and not worth your time.

Hmm, depends what kind of system you're working with, to be fair. If you're going to be using a microsoft based database system at work then a working knowledge of VB can come in quite handy. True most of the brand new things no longer require it, but then the vast majority of companies don't actualy run on brand new stuff.

I just got myself a new laptop running windows 7 about a week or 2 ago. I want to try blender and google sketchup on my laptop but they wouldn't download they be almost done and say sorry the time for this operation has ran out. I dont really know what to do being and XP user for so long.

I'm at a computer science camp at the moment. I just finished making this cat-mouse game.

no one knows why it does this?

That's not an operating system problem. That's google's server, or your browser settings. It could also be your internet connection. Try downloading at a different time.

Java is a horrible language unless you're working in a huge team. Try lisp or pyfun or perl.

Why?

Also, I'll go check out Python and Perl.

Maybe C++, or assembly for fun!

Just kidding.

Also, maustin89, that's an error on your side.

PEBKAC.

Those of you who know your way around computers should be laughing by now.

In any case, W7 should be able to download those two.

As a side note, please take your time to slow down, type/text carefully, and use the spellchecker.

USE THE SPELLCHECKER.