maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I got a few questions for anyone who knows a lot about computers. I'm having issues with my current video card it's a visiontek radeon 3650 and every time I try to play a game it messes up and says it had to be reset cuz the graphic accelerator quit responding to commands. It did this 3 times today just trying to play one game. It's done this a total of 5 times. It's only done this in the last year. It had never done this before until 2-3 months ago.

First was a game I had open that lagged seriously and I had MSN open and I think maybe a browser and my computer can handle that. So it froze completely then the monitor shut off and came back on and I shut stuff down and restarted it. Next time it did it I had scanned the computer and was selecting files in a folder to see how many I had and it did it then. Third and fourth time was just the game and the fifth and hopefully final time was the game, MSN, and a folder I was trying to see images in. I took some screen caps after the video card had messed up the third time and they wasn't there. No big deal honestly I'm fine with it.

(Just to make it clear the computer itself did NOT shut down just the monitor.)

So after this we are replacing it. What I wanted to see was would this video card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8589&CatId=7005'>HIS Radeon 6670 HD

work with this motherboard (it's the one I have in the computer at this moment):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p?EdpNo=4427298'>Asus Motherboard

on a Windows XP Service Pack 3. It's not updated to the latest update at the moment but that can definitely be fixed.

My dad has read around and so far from what he knows it would work and I read somewhere it would as well. I just wanted to see if anyone else here would know just to have another opinion.

I was directed here so please don't shoot me if this is necroing.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

The links don't work, for some reason they came up with periods in them. List the kind of card it is and details like PCI, PCI express, AGP, etc., the motherboard, and what kind of power supply you have. That'll make it a lot easier to figure out.

There's a pretty good chance it will be fine though.

Here's a question for you: I'm learning PHP programming (going through the PHP Manual now, since I realized I never read it). Would it be better to build your own forum, and to try and set up your own security measures and such, or use one that has already been built?

I know there are some Linux users around here, so here goes:

I haven't used it long, so am not really familiar with all the trickery that can be done with it...but! I know there are ways to use Wine so as to create different Wine prefixes. I'm sure I can find them on my own, but hey, a little asking never hurt. Anyone around here familiar with Wine and can give me a little help in setting up separate prefixes? I'm not a fan of Winetricks, every time I've used them they haven't worked.

I received a new monitor for my rig this Christmas, but it's a little obnoxious because it already has a stuck pixel and I'm having difficulty replacing it.

All right, let's try the collective geekery of the board on this:

My computer occasionally fails to POST, then it kicks itself in the bootstraps and POSTs, giving me grief about "DQS training failed on last boot attempt" and proceeding to slow my DRAM from 800 to 533. Then it says there was a CMOS checksum error and I have to set up BIOS again.

Thing is, I replaced the CMOS battery already, so I'm suspecting that's not the problem. This is newish since one of my old RAM modules died the death and caused me no end of trouble. Current RAM has been memtested for several hours so I tend to think it's not that. Any ideas?

Google-fu is failing me on this.

I know my first step with any kind of posting error is to take all the componants out and blow into the slots. You have no idea hoe many posting errors end up being caused by dust.

I have recently pulled all my RAM looking for the bad module, but I didn't have any air to use to clean out the slots. I shall try that, seems as likely as anything. I suppose the battery I replaced might not have seated properly.

I've tried Googling it but not found anything useful, so I turn to you DC Computer People in my time of need.

My work computer has suddenly stopped being able to locate me using Geolocation. It worked fine until last week when suddenly I didn't exist. I've been through the security options and allowed Geolocation, but it still doesn't want to work.

Please bear in mind that I am not very computer savvy and complicated words or terms may confuse me. o3o

Ok, as I explained in my post in Help, I updated to FF 9.0.1, but the Stylish add on no longer worked. I use Stylish with Check marking visited links to show which eggs/hatchlings I have already clicked on click sites, so I don't click the same eggs/hatchlings twice on subsequent visits. I tried everything I could find to make this add on work with FF 9.0.1, but was unsuccessful, so I reinstalled FF 3.6.25 so I can continue to use this add on.

I am just wondering if anyone out there is using FF 9.0.1 and able to use this add on, and how you were able to make it work (if you had to do anything to make it work).

I just tried it and I can't get it to work either. I don't know if it's Stylish that isn't working or that particular style though, since I almost never use Stylish. Sorry : (

I just tried it and I can't get it to work either. I don't know if it's Stylish that isn't working or that particular style though, since I almost never use Stylish. Sorry : (

Thanks. At least that gives me hope that it isn't just me. I'm so computer illiterate, that it's always possible that the problem is me and not the program or whatever.

Hi I just wanted to ask if this was normal. I had a computer tech company call me about something going around.

They told me to go into computer management, event viewer and application. They told me that regular computer companies won't fix this because it's not as virus.

photo link The Error list goes on for a while and under that is information, which has about 50+ entries.

Just wondering if there is any way to fix this because apparently it's making my computer run slower.

Hi I just wanted to ask if this was normal. I had a computer tech company call me about something going around.

They told me to go into computer management, event viewer and application. They told me that regular computer companies won't fix this because it's not as virus.

photo link The Error list goes on for a while and under that is information, which has about 50+ entries.

Just wondering if there is any way to fix this because apparently it's making my computer run slower.

Ignore it. Those calls are scams. Don't do ANYTHING they told you to do.

Ok, thanks. Thought it might have been real because I looked up their site.

How would they know anything about your computer ? Think about that....

Ok...

My computer somehow doesn't load. Actually it loads, but there are no signals coming out and there is a black screen "of death". I have tried to re-insert video-card, but still, it doesn't work. Help?

P.S. Before it I have got 2 freezes with one BSoD. Then I have decided to clean up the computer, then THIS happened.

Ok...

My computer somehow doesn't load. Actually it loads, but there are no signals coming out and there is a black screen "of death". I have tried to re-insert video-card, but still, it doesn't work. Help?

P.S. Before it I have got 2 freezes with one BSoD. Then I have decided to clean up the computer, then THIS happened.

BLACK screen ? Any words at all ? If there is NOTHING on your screen, it could be your graphics card or its driver. (Been there, and at least it was easily fixed...)

Ok...

OS? Does it ever show anything on screen? Does it beep? Monitor cable plugged in? Monitor cable plugged into the video card?

May I ask exactly when it goes black? Do you get the white-text-on-black loading screens first? Or do you just get nothing? Is there anything displaying on the monitor that says there's no input coming in?