maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Some robotics teams use C++ to program their robots. I wish ours did--we use LabView. I'm much better at textual languages than image languages

Speaking of textual languages and image languages...

I really don't like Scratch it has graphics instead of real code. Same with Bing, too much Graphics.

I really wanted to have an i7 Quadcore, along with an ATI Radeon HD 5000. And also 8GB of RAM. That would be perfect with a cooler!

As for software, I would want the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Monitor? AOC.

Mousepad? Stackmat.

Other than that I like my computer.

I really don't like Scratch it has graphics instead of real code. Same with Bing, too much Graphics.

Ugh, Scratch is embarrassing. I took an intro computer science class last year and we had to learn scratch. It's like programming for 3 year olds. It was probably the most degrading class I've ever taken in my life.

I remember using some kind of graphical language to program some robots that were the lego robotics kind. Real shame, 'cause it would've been easier with a text-based one, at least IMO.

Planning to build a new computer soon specs are:

~Two of the highest graphics cards (best at the time, always updating but likely to be nvidia ones)

~Four twenty one inch or larger monitors (Acers likely already have two)

~20 gigabytes of ram

~2 one terabyte hard drives

~twelve USB ports

~full surround sound, at least six speakers two sub woofers

~2 one hundred speed drives capable of reading and writing (possibly custom made, easy enough at my school)

~1 two terabyte externally separated backup drive

~full virus protection

Ah just remembered, three extra fans for cooling

Edited by jaina

*blink* Jaina, I hope you have at least 2 grand. Plus you won't get a performance boost out of 20 gigs of ram. At most, get 8.

have a good chunk of it right now, but I'm already maxing out on 12 gig of ram War. If you know how to do it, it's easy to use that much, especially in high performance gaming and physics rendering for the programs I run here at college.

have a good chunk of it right now, but I'm already maxing out on 12 gig of ram War. If you know how to do it, it's easy to use that much, especially in high performance gaming and physics rendering for the programs I run here at college.

Maybe if you do it at the same time. I can run every game released so far on the highest possible settings on only 4 gigs without coming close to maxing out on my ram usage.

I do. I have two monitors, why not use them?

generally have itunes, at least one game, adobe (part of the suite at the least), two chrome tabs, the windows side bar, google sketchup and some other programs running all the time.

I go to a Major tech/engineering school, its not that unusual

Edited by jaina

Here's my gaming setup:

A TON of internet tabs

Steam

A game

AIM

media player

all at the same time. I don't come close to topping out. I guess I don't see why you'd NEED to game while doing school stuff at the same time. I know I couldn't.

EDIT: I agree about having more monitors though - I LOVE multimonitor setups.

Edited by War Pig Killer

agreed they are awesome.

yea, but unless you want to wait fifteen minutes for something that takes fives seconds otherwise, you need this much. Crash simulations that model physics require absurd amounts of processing power and RAM.

And considering that's part of my major, I need it. When I do serious 3D modeling it is really necessary to have large amounts too.

lol nice, I got my 21 inch acers for 50% off at best buy on the off to college sale

It'd be cheaper to dedicate your current one to school and build a new one that's $600 for gaming, no?

This new one will be a dedicated one for me. Also putting so much on it, I plan to keep it advanced enough to last several years and avoid another rebuild for a while. I'm just going to order the parts and put it together myself, nothing I have't done before.

And as I said before I do more than gaming I am not able to build a dedicated gamer no matter how much I might want to.

Nice thing is I have friends who work at computer stores and such who get discounts and such so cost would likely go down by 15-25%.

It does tend to be more cost effective in the long term to spend a couple of grand on parts, knowing you'll end up with a maching that can monster anything you send at it for 4 years or so, than it is builing a 500 quid one and having to update bits every year.

Two things:

One: Anyone got any thoughts on Microsoft Security Essentials?

It's just okay if you look at the reviews on the web. I went ahead and downloaded it, since its been months, and I still hadn't downloaded at least one program. It caught 13 objects (apparently all from the same trojan). I tried Ad-Aware next. It caught a virus, a trojan, and a few other things.

Wasn't expected much. I already had Windows Defender turned off. Nothing more than a warm, fuzzy security blanket. Besides, Spybot S&D 2.0 will come out soon (finally... after like 2 years laugh.gif ).

Two: Anyone looked at this yet? http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/3/29/microsoft...s-thin-pc-beta/ Apparently it includes Direct X so if anyone's brave enough to test it on their gaming comp and post some benchmarks...

I saw that a couple of days ago. It's probably really nothing more than Windows 7 with less programs. I can just one-click GameBooster to mimic that.

Does anyone know what a magnet does to a hard drive inside of a computer?

I am wondering if is was a magnet that crashed my old computer.

I remember using some kind of graphical language to program some robots that were the lego robotics kind. Real shame, 'cause it would've been easier with a text-based one, at least IMO.

My robotics team--FIRST, idk what yours was, but FIRST does have a Lego robotics division--uses Labview, which is an image language.

Which is too bad for me, because I hate image languages.

Apparently we just switched over from C++, a text-based language. Why couldn't we have stuck with that? Text-based languages make so much more sense... It is a language, after all.

Does anyone know what a magnet does to a hard drive inside of a computer?

I am wondering if is was a magnet that crashed my old computer.

I've been told that, if strong enough, magnets will pretty much wreck a harddrive. But I also have to say that that was told to me by my dad, possibly the least tech savvy person I know. And I also know that when I was around the age of 4 or 5 I stuck my magnet to the side of the computer with no ill effects. In the movies they always destroy the computer with a magnet or EMP, but I really can't say it does from experience. /rambling and not helpful D|

My comp had a hard drive crash and there was a magnet stuck to it so... yeah. I was just wondering.

My comp had a hard drive crash and there was a magnet stuck to it so... yeah. I was just wondering.

Was it one of those magnets you stick on the refrigerator? laugh.gif You need a pretty powerful magnet to ruin the data.

The hard drive has a magnet of its own. wink.gif

Well, I figure since this is a technology-specific area, it might be best to ask here...

What causes a computer to make a crap-load of noise? It really does not sound good, and it usually does it upon starting up after the computer has been shut down. Do I need to clean something, or replace something, and if I let it go too long will I fry my hard drive or something? Should I call up the computer guy?

Sounds like the fan is shot.

I suppose if left unfixed for a long period of time, it could potentially harm your computer, with overheating and all that.

But I really can't say for sure. I'm good with computers but not that good. Just good enough to usually be able to solve my own computer problems.

But there is one problem I cannot solve. I spent all night googling my brain out to no avail.

I got this Universal Memory Card reader for my laptop so I could get my pics off of my CF card but my computer doesn't recognize it at all. Like, when I plug it in, nothing happens. I downloaded the driver from the disk it came with and still nothing. Would anyone have a solution for me? tongue.gif