maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

That's not an operating system problem. That's google's server, or your browser settings. It could also be your internet connection. Try downloading at a different time.

no I've tryed about a week ago tried today and 2 days ago

Also, maustin89, that's an error on your side.

PEBKAC.

Those of you who know your way around computers should be laughing by now.

In any case, W7 should be able to download those two.

As a side note, please take your time to slow down, type/text carefully, and use the spellchecker.

USE THE SPELLCHECKER.

I thought from what he was saying he was talking about a server timeout, which really has nothing to do with the user.

edit: In trying to DL sketchup: It works fine for me. Since I don't actually want to install it I won't.

W7 can download anything. It's not a question of the ability. It's a question of free disk space, internet connection, patience, and clicking. Now actually running the downloaded files could be a pain in the butt. W7 has trouble with many programs, depending on your hardware.

Edited by spyro76

no I've tryed about a week ago tried today and 2 days ago

Try a different browser. *shrugs* Worth a try, at least.

Dude, it's not.

I'm downloading them both, they seem fine, all right?

Pebkac.

Wait.

Tell me you're not using IE.

Edited by Voxezi

Oh, do we have another case of the IE fail?

I tried downloading just for the heck of it, and it went through. It got slow at the end though. I'm going on IE just to try it.

edit: IE gets annoyed because you try to download something, but if you tell it to go ahead it works.

I guess the only problem that exists is what Voxezi said.

Edited by spyro76

I tried with IE, and it works fine surprisingly.

Damn you Internal Server Errors.

rolleyes.gif IE is fine if you know what you're doing. Really. I'm majorly techie, as is my partner, and both of us use it quite happily with no errors. IE problems are usualy another case of PEBKAC.

Vox - agreed on the diagnosis, though. User Interface Error.

rolleyes.gif IE is fine if you know what you're doing. Really. I'm majorly techie, as is my partner, and both of us use it quite happily with no errors. IE problems are usualy another case of PEBKAC.

For general use, yes it is fine. I have a ton of issues with it. First it's slow. Next, certain compliant HTML I have written works on every single browser I could get my hands on, except IE. dry.gif This is compliant mind you, which took me forever to work out every little line to perfection, seeing as I've never had a class, or known anyone else who could help without paying for their services. IE has a set of its own commands, that are used by no other browser, so that it works and you can work around its shortcomings a little easier. On a two screen monitor (two monitors, side by side) nothing displays properly in IE. I haven't messed with the computer myself, but I talked to my dad's office's tech guy who couldn't come up with an easy solution. Alignment got messed up and would only display pieces on one side of the screen. I fixed this with a CSS trick, making IE go to a different style sheet that didn't cause issues. A background image was the culprit. How can a good browser screw up a background image that works in every other browser? Thirdly, security. I'm not sure how good it is, but I do know that last time my family's set of computers had issues it was when IE was used. Malware, spyware, and other various problems that don't get past Firefox, have in the past, gotten past IE. We have better anti-virus now, but still. Our Windows 2000 had its registry damaged when an IE add on tried, unsuccessfully, to install itself. It has its uses, but Firefox is faster and hasn't caused real problems. Google Chrome is far faster and hasn't caused me problems either, given that it is feature light, so I don't use it often.

IE's problems are mostly little things I just can't stand. For instance, you can't make an empty iframe transparent in IE. You can in any other browser. I've learned to deal with that, because there is not a fix in the current situation of my pages.

All my pages are tested in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera, Seamonkey, Conqueror, and others. They've been through HTML validators, and have passed, yet IE still can't tackle them.

The things I hate about IE is how there is so many tools and not many people know how to use them, and how it becomes unresponsive a lot for me... They're just there. I find myself using IE more than Firefox or Google Chrome though. I don't really mind it.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

The problem with IE is more on the web development than consumption side.

Vox - agreed on the diagnosis, though. User Interface Error.

I prefer firefox for its addons (I'm looking at you, noscript and ABP), chrome for how lightweight it is, and opera for its speed. IE has none of those, and it's rather visually unappealing.

Plus I've had some instability issues with IE in the past, so I switched to FF and haven't looked back.

I understand people simple prefering something else - it's not like I'd want to go and tell everyone to use IE, but really claiming that it's the root of all problems is very unlikely. At least no kmore likely than windows itself being the root of the problems.

spyro - viruses are not a problem with IE, they were a problem with whatever cr@ppy anti-virus software you had on there. You cannot rely on the basic programes that came with your PC to protect you from viruses, and doing so is just another example of PEBKAC.

I would say the exact opposite: The "everyman" really has no reason to complain about IE. It'll take you to Facebook or Digg or your e-mail just fine.

The people who can justifiably hate IE are the ones that have to develop sites with it and deal with Microsoft's interesting interpretation of the HTML/CSS specifications.

I would say the exact opposite: The "everyman" really has no reason to complain about IE. It'll take you to Facebook or Digg or your e-mail just fine.

The people who can justifiably hate IE are the ones that have to develop sites with it and deal with Microsoft's interesting interpretation of the HTML/CSS specifications.

True. Neither of us programed websites. My other half mostly does hardware and bioa, and I'm the same with a side of software programming in C++ and VB.

But, be fair, if you've got someone that's just using it for the 'everyman' tasks of surfing the net and downloading stuff it's far, far more likely there's been a problem at there end than that the problem is with IE.

I actually let a friend talk me into getting Firefox, and it made me almost loose an egg trade. (A CHEESIE!)

It gave me the white screen of death. I told him to stop counting then I logged off FF, went to IE and caught it fine.

For some reason I am still using Firefox... but that's probably cause I dont know how to switch it back to IE being my main one. *sighs*

Edited by Kanaye

Yeah, I'm using IE.I like it so much even though people say its cruddy compared to Safari, FireFox, Chrome, and Opera. I just tried downloading FireFox and it got to 99% then said

unable to download...irefox%20setup%203.6.8.exe from 3347-mozzila.voxcdn.com.

the operation timed out

Edited by maustin89

Hey, I'm back and I'm not an idiot newish noob person anymore(Well not as much xd.png ). Looking back at all those old post I said to myself, "What was I thinking!". Now I've learned a lot more(Like spaces and capital letters. ) And I'm ready to take on this online community. biggrin.gif

I'm working on learning Python atm... Any other suggestions for languages?

I should probably learn emacs, too. And Ruby. And does anyone use Java anymore?

Heh, welcome back.

I guess I'm learning HTML and CSS, but the class pretty much sucks and I'm not learning much. Eh.

I've been trying to take all the different computer classes at my school since I want to go into game programming, but they're all taught by the same teacher who doesn't know much about what she's teaching in the first place. I keep having to correct her, haha. Can't wait for college, but I guess I'll enjoy being ahead while it lasts.

Hey, If you want an online free programming teacher to teach you C++, Java, PHP, XHTML/CSS, Javascript and much much more go to thenewboston on Youtube.

He's a great teacher!Also now he's expanding his tutorials to other fields like Biology, Geometry, and Math.

I'll post a link to his website and Youtube channel

His Youtube Channel and His Website

Hey, If you want an online free programming teacher to teach you C++, Java, PHP, XHTML/CSS, Javascript and much much more go to thenewboston on Youtube.

He's a great teacher!Also now he's expanding his tutorials  to other fields like Biology, Geometry, and Math.

I'll post a link to his website and Youtube channel

His Youtube Channel and His Website

Hm, thanks. I'll probably check that out, I'd like to at least start getting acquainted with stuff like that before college, and like I said my school's not very technology oriented tongue.gif

html/css is barely worth learning its so easy

No kidding, especially since there are programs that do all the coding for you.

html/css is barely worth learning its so easy

Eh if you've NEVER touched a language or you plan to get into web design, there's some value in learning it, I think.

Some robotics teams use C++ to program their robots. I wish ours did--we use LabView. I'm much better at textual languages than image languages...