maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Thanks for the tip about it being a fan problem--I fixed it. Dust clog, it's running smoothly again.

...I should probably convince my mom to let me look at the family computer, too, that hasn't been checked for dust in ages...

...But I might still wanna see about getting the computer guy to be sure... /paranoid

What's a normal amount of noise for a fan to make? It's not being really loud or jerky anymore, just a low hum.

Edited by KageSora

Yeah it's a good idea to clean them every once in a while. Especially if you have animals. That dust and hair can be the death of them.

It depends on what kind of computer it is and how old it is. I had a computer that was rather noisy even when brand new but it was a very large desktop computer.

My laptop on the other hand, you can barely hear. The laptop cooling pad I have for it is noisier than the laptop itself.

Usually desktop computers are louder though since they are so large.

Edit:: And there's nothing wrong with getting it checked up on. happy.gif

Edited by tikigurl91

On my desktop, I clean the fans roughly once a month. What I do is I set a date, and every month on that date, I go through standard maintainence. Defragging, fan cleaning, etc.

It depends on what kind of computer it is and how old it is. I had a computer that was rather noisy even when brand new but it was a very large desktop computer.

My laptop on the other hand, you can barely hear. The laptop cooling pad I have for it is noisier than the laptop itself.

Usually desktop computers are louder though since they are so large.

Edit:: And there's nothing wrong with getting it checked up on. happy.gif

It's a desktop, takes up a decent bit of space. The problem was that the noise sounded way louder than normal, and it just sounded wrong, like something was off. It's not ancient, about 16 months old. But it's making a strange noise again, so I think I'm gonna get it checked out for sure... It's just money I'd rather we not have to spend if we can avoid it. But if I can stop it from doing something bad, that's good, cuz it's too much to replace is. .w.

On my desktop, I clean the fans roughly once a month. What I do is I set a date, and every month on that date, I go through standard maintainence. Defragging, fan cleaning, etc.

Mmm, I might have to try that to keep it from getting too bad wit the dust and all. And I should probably do gleaning up the system a bit more often...

That's a great idea. I didn't clean mine nearly as often as I should have. Inside and outside cleaning regularly does a world of good for your computer though. happy.gif

I take pretty good care of my laptop though. I have disk defrag set to automatically run every week and I do a manual cleaning every few weeks and so far, so good.

That's a great idea. I didn't clean mine nearly as often as I should have. Inside and outside cleaning regularly does a world of good for your computer though. happy.gif

I take pretty good care of my laptop though. I have disk defrag set to automatically run every week and I do a manual cleaning every few weeks and so far, so good.

Oh I always look forward to it, I think it's really fun.

I just gotta' add this

Planning to build a new computer soon specs are:

~Two of the highest graphics cards (best at the time, always updating but likely to be nvidia ones)

~Four twenty one inch or larger monitors (Acers likely already have two)

~20 gigabytes of ram

~2 one terabyte hard drives

~twelve USB ports

~full surround sound, at least six speakers two sub woofers

~2 one hundred speed drives capable of reading and writing (possibly custom made, easy enough at my school)

~1 two terabyte externally separated backup drive

~full virus protection

Ah just remembered, three extra fans for cooling

All I can say is what a BEAST! xd.png

This is a dumb question but...

What is the best video driver and ow do you replace it?

I have an AMD and I can't stand the graphics. I was spoiled with that Intel.

This is a dumb question but...

What is the best video driver and ow do you replace it?

I have an AMD and I can't stand the graphics. I was spoiled with that Intel.

Go to your chip (or card) maker's website and go to the driver download section. Always use the latest drivers, unless you're using linux and using an ATI card, but that's a very specialized case.

What company do you think makes the best drivers?

You have to use the drivers of the company that makes your card/chip, the only way to change that would be to replace your card/chip.

That said, I prefer nVidia to ATI cards, and everything's better than Intel. But I'm coming from a gaming perspective - if you're not gaming, an Intel chip should be plenty.

That said, I prefer nVidia to ATI cards, and everything's better than Intel. But I'm coming from a gaming perspective - if you're not gaming, an Intel chip should be plenty.

I, as a gamer, and both my other half and best mate do use Intel chips when we build our PCs. nVidia graphics cards every time, but always with an Intel Processor. They're so much better than AMD it's just silly.

I, as a gamer, and both my other half and best mate do use Intel chips when we build our PCs. nVidia graphics cards every time, but always with an Intel Processor. They're so much better than AMD it's just silly.

I was talking about the graphics chip. I don't really have a personal preference when it comes to processors, I'm just using AMD 'cause I like their tricores and they can be unlocked. My understanding is that AMD processors are better than Intel for things like compiling code while Intels are better for games.

Ugh I hate when there's a recent ubuntu release. Makes downloading packages with apt-get a pain in the rear. I'm trying to download xmonad and tint2, and it's taking FOREVER :I I'm crawling along at 60 kbps.

Edited by War Pig Killer

I use Intel for my graphics computer and it's better than my laptop (AMD)

I have an Ndvia in my other comp, it won't download and the graphics are so bad I pass out.

My graphics computer has crashes when it comes to certian games, so... eh...

Does anyone know anything about ooVoo? My sister has it on her laptop, which got nailed with a virus of some sort. The only things that could have done this, because she and I go to the same websites and use the same programs is either ooVoo or Facebook and Farmville.

I told her that she should have just used Skype instead, because from the looks of ooVoo, Skype is a better program anyway.

So I fixed her computer up, messed with settings, ran a scan, and generally tidied up. It's working fine now, but if the program is a problem it's just going to happen again and I would prefer not to have to do that stuff again. It took a day and an hour to finish the scan. It also took 20 minutes to get the anti-virus turned back on for Internet Security. I don't know how it got turned off. She says she didn't, and I don't know if I should believe her, because she doesn't have the know-how to do it, and it could have been an accident.

Does anyone know anything about ooVoo? My sister has it on her laptop, which got nailed with a virus of some sort. The only things that could have done this, because she and I go to the same websites and use the same programs is either ooVoo or Facebook and Farmville.

I told her that she should have just used Skype instead, because from the looks of ooVoo, Skype is a better program anyway.

So I fixed her computer up, messed with settings, ran a scan, and generally tidied up. It's working fine now, but if the program is a problem it's just going to happen again and I would prefer not to have to do that stuff again. It took a day and an hour to finish the scan. It also took 20 minutes to get the anti-virus turned back on for Internet Security. I don't know how it got turned off. She says she didn't, and I don't know if I should believe her, because she doesn't have the know-how to do it, and it could have been an accident.

I have a friend that uses ooVoo and is clean of virii.

Well both. If you lower the quality, it will be faster. If you have a better performing computer, it will run at a higher FPS rate at a normal rate.

If the anti-virus had been turned off she could have got it from anywhere. A good anti-virus blocks a lot of stuff during day-to-day browing that you'd never be aware of. I've heard of people with poor/no anti-virus getting virii from the ads on DC, for example.

Which anti-virus does she have on there as a question?

Just broke the 1 GHz mark on my graphics card!

False alarm, god censorkip.gif it.

Edited by War Pig Killer

What I am really fascinated in is how computers have evolved so fast in only the past near 30 years. I have been constantly watching a video on Youtube (it's an old video now) of the different Windows programs that have come and gone over this period. Needless to say, it is the past, surely. Still, it's intriguing to see how only 300kb's hard drive turned into 2 terabytes in a seemingly short amount of time.

I get fascinated by petty little stuff like this. My two cents on the dollar.

So I was wondering - if anyone knows a little about the insides of website making.

We are creating a store website and there is a product to Zencart that is a STCtoCart program thing. It updates the website automatically but I am having a little problem getting it finished - before I start explaining would anyone know anything about that?

I am actualy making a website right now and it's nearing completion I just need to take some pictures. I might be able to help. I know html and css.

(I am a bad speller)

Edited by Azteck

I can code in HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP along with the use of MySQL databases, and I know how to use JQuery. But I'm coding my own website as of now, but if you need any coding help, you could PM me smile.gif

Hi all!

Come here and list your favorite program(s) to use:

Some of my top picks:

Emulation:

zsnes.

Web browsing:

tossup between chrome and firefox -- although firefox's adblock extensions can block flash ads...

email/time management:

the Kontact PIM for KDE

Games:

Currently, Minecraft.

Audio Player:

Amarok!