evina

TheEvina's DragHatch

I have been adding my eggs to the hatchery, but I noticed I'm getting a 404 error code on the viewers.

If I'm the only one, OK, but if it's everyone, then nothing's getting any views?

Just wondering...

I have been adding my eggs to the hatchery, but I noticed I'm getting a 404 error code on the viewers.

If I'm the only one, OK, but if it's everyone, then nothing's getting any views?

Just wondering...

Thanks. It should be working now.

I planned on adding some new features for this site and ways of making it run better (a version 7) but I think I might take a break from it for a while. Lately it's been causing me a lot of stress and I've been making tons of mistakes.

Version 6.3.0 released

You may have noticed some changes to the viewer. You can no longer select the number of dragons to view, only the time between each page.

I'll try to explain why this change was made.

Dragons are categorized into small predefined groups for cleaning and this is used in the viewer now so that the list of all dragons doesn't have to be randomly sorted every time the viewer refreshes. Now that DragHatch has over 20,000 dragons this random sorting process could slow down the site.

This change will significantly improve the performance of the nursery viewer and hopefully lead to less future server lag. Also it will ensure ALL dragons will get views when you leave it open, not some by random chance.

So this is the way it will be from now on. I know some people don't like change but I hope you'll understand.

Edited by evina

When I add one single code in the low time slot, it always adds the egg I entered and a second one with the code "NaN", which does not exist. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is it a glitch?

Otherwise, everything seems to work perfectly. It's a great site! biggrin.gif

I want to announce that on November 4th at roughly 10:30 PM Eastern US time there were 25,941 dragons in the nursery, this site's all time record. I would like to thank everyone for helping the site reach that goal, and thank them for putting up with my mistakes and the frequent downtime. biggrin.gif

When I add one single code in the low time slot, it always adds the egg I entered and a second one with the code "NaN", which does not exist. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is it a glitch?

Otherwise, everything seems to work perfectly. It's a great site! biggrin.gif

Yes it is a glitch, but not a very urgent one to fix. More on that later.

Speaking of which, how important is the individual code adding to everyone? Version 7 (which is extremely buggy and not ready for release anytime soon) will have a security system allowing people to optionally "lock" their scrolls. This way you would have to log on to Dragon Cave whenever you try to open your scroll on an unfamiliar computer.

I've been considering this for a while, because the way everything was so open kind of felt strange, but only recently have I received comments from others suggesting that I do something like this. TJ even has an API login system that nobody seems to use.

The one problem is that with individual codes there are some annoying setbacks. It's hard to trace back to the original owner if they have their scroll hidden. So I thought that I could allow any egg to be added/removed if they are marked as accepting help, and reject any changes if they don't accept help. So a lot of scrolls would be forced to use the scroll name feature, and if the individual codes aren't used much then it defeats the purpose of me redoing that system.

And even if I secure my site it won't mean scrolls can't be abused on the many other sites. But if this is a feasible idea then maybe it'll spread and become more common.

If you have something to say about this then speak up now. tongue.gif

Edited by evina

I want to announce that on November 4th at roughly 10:30 PM Eastern US time there were 25,941 dragons in the nursery, this site's all time record. I would like to thank everyone for helping the site reach that goal, and thank them for putting up with my mistakes and the frequent downtime. biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, how important is the individual code adding to everyone? Version 7 (which is extremely buggy and not ready for release anytime soon) will have a security system allowing people to optionally "lock" their scrolls. This way you would have to log on to Dragon Cave whenever you try to open your scroll on an unfamiliar computer.

I've been considering this for a while, because the way everything was so open kind of felt strange, but only recently have I received comments from others suggesting that I do something like this. TJ even has an API login system that nobody seems to use.

The one problem is that with individual codes there are some annoying setbacks. It's hard to trace back to the original owner if they have their scroll hidden. So I thought that I could allow any egg to be added/removed if they are marked as accepting help, and reject any changes if they don't accept help. So a lot of scrolls would be forced to use the scroll name feature, and if the individual codes aren't used much then it defeats the purpose of me redoing that system.

And even if I secure my site it won't mean scrolls can't be abused on the many other sites. But if this is a feasible idea then maybe it'll spread and become more common.

I had considered doing the login thing, except I found that there could possibly be many security problems which I decided against. Plus I have no time anymore.

But give it a try! Maybe other sites will follow suit. Although many users may like the idea of managing their own dragons, I think I still prefer open.

Soti had this feature too and it was alright I guess. I didn't use it personally but if it helps others protect their scrolls and that it'd be worth it.

Wait so let me understand this clearly since I don't accept aid I'd be forced into using this feature? I really don't have a use for it cuz unless this PC breaks down (before I change it anyway) the only places I'm going to log in from are other computers in this house or if needed using my grandmas PC (or a friends).

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Wait so let me understand this clearly since I don't accept aid I'd be forced into using this feature? I really don't have a use for it cuz unless this PC breaks down (before I change it anyway) the only places I'm going to log in from are other computers in this house or if needed using my grandmas PC (or a friends).

No I mean you would be forced to use your scroll name to add/remove dragons. Whether you lock it or not is up to you.

Some people preferred the single codes method and so I ask if it's really meaningful to them. I could probably still keep it but it'll take more time.

This is just like the Facebook Connect feature where you can sign in and use your username and stuff on another website. I'm pretty sure TJ can create such a feature biggrin.gif

This is just like the Facebook Connect feature where you can sign in and use your username and stuff on another website. I'm pretty sure TJ can create such a feature biggrin.gif

He already has and I've been testing it. See the login action of the API. It is a bit complicated though.

Well, it's only for verification that the user is the real user, but I guess it's similar.

Edited by evina

He already has and I've been testing it. See the login action of the API. It is a bit complicated though.

Well, it's only for verification that the user is the real user, but I guess it's similar.

I am aware the the login API function for a long time. I mean he can modify it so that it is easier to implement like FB's.

Speaking of which, how important is the individual code adding to everyone?

I find it really useful if I just want to add an ER egg or two, though I otherwise submit my scrollname.

No I mean you would be forced to use your scroll name to add/remove dragons. Whether you lock it or not is up to you.

Some people preferred the single codes method and so I ask if it's really meaningful to them. I could probably still keep it but it'll take more time.

Oh I always do that anyway in case someone decided to remove mine. -lol-

user posted image

How much later till we know more? I'm wondering where the NaN came from. A jumbled line of code, maybe?

user posted image

How much later till we know more? I'm wondering where the NaN came from. A jumbled line of code, maybe?

It's not a big deal. It should not affect your dragons.

Most like there is an empty array element added during the process of cleaning up the codes to be added/removed in the database. But right now after constant updates and just normal fatigue in my life I am taking a short break.

Although maybe I can get version 7 released (with this fix included) before the big Christmas event.

Something funny (bad) is going on in the ER section. I noticed many tombstones in there this afternoon and still many tombstones tonight with even some died dated 11/10 so within the last hour. Saw sick hatchlings too. Be careful right now if you have babies in the ER.

Yeah a lot are dying for some reason.

And in case you were wondering I really didn't touch anything. dry.gif

And how are some of these getting in with over 4 days? Are they sick because they're not removed? I have no idea how I could fix this when I never touched anything. >_<

Edited by evina

Something weird is going on and it's not just here. Problem is showing at The Allure of Neglected Dragons also. Check their thread.

Thank goodness it's not my fault this time. tongue.gif

The only explanation I have for the failure of cleaners to remove dragons is a subtle change in the API, but I looked and didn't notice anything wrong on the surface.

The viewers don't seem to be working. It is showing this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@dc.evinext.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It read my scroll and let me add my eggs, but nothing but the error message is showing in the viewers.

Never mind. It seems okay now.

Edited by purplehaze

Internal server errors have been happening a lot lately too. I don't know what causes them (perhaps my host from too much traffic) but at least they are temporary as long as you refresh the page.

Speaking of which, how important is the individual code adding to everyone?

I have recently discovered the single code enter/removal is very important. That is the only way to "click out" the poor hatchlings stuck in the ER (under 6 day 23 hours and more still in there) who are being viewed to death.

I had been staying away because I felt bad contributing to the hatchling deaths in the ER by leaving the page open for views for the nursery. Which wasn't a good thing either for the sake of the rest of the youngsters needing views. I thought it was impossible to remove them or I would have rescued some of the earlier ones I felt helpless to help.

If you feel the need to change the single code entry please make a way possible to remove the newly hatched in the ER.

If you feel the need to change the single code entry please make a way possible to remove the newly hatched in the ER.

Yes I was thinking about adding something like those Xs that some sites have to remove dragons within the viewer.

The problem is that to prevent abuse for secured scrolls it should have to check the API to be certain it is grown up. And if the API is lagged then it might not work still. I'll have to think about this. dry.gif

Maybe I'll add a notice to people to watch their eggs and fog them after the hatch. At least until the problem is fixed.

EDIT:

I contacted TJ about the problem and in the meantime I added a condition to my cleaner to remove dragons that have the number of hours returned as null. This is the error in the API and so it's a good fix for now I believe.

It will prevent hatchlings from dying of sickness after they grow, but for all I know ungrown ones might be removed by accident. Just be aware of that.

Edited by evina

I use draghatch for all of my dragon eggs and hatchlings smile.gif A great site!

Edit: I think it would be nice if we could remove adults or fogged hatchlings/eggs on the site, since whenever I go to the site, I always see adults and sometimes fogged hatchlings/eggs. Maybe there could be a tiny button next to each egg/hatchling/adult/fogged dragon, if it actually is an adult or a fogged dragon, it would be removed, but if it is still an egg or a hatchling, you would get a message something like, "CODE is still an egg/hatchling."

Edited by raykawolf