RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I thought that was just for DC questions

Nope. I'll make a topic later. smile.gif Thanks.

Edited by Stunningfire

Background on where this is coming from: I'm an editor for a fairly large magazine. (Probably the second best-known on its subject.) I've been working for the magazine for... about five years now. And I never, ever get snarky with the writers themselves. Which is why I occasionally feel the need to flail anonymously elsewhere.

I am absolutely astonished by the adults seeking to become professionally published here who think it's perfectly acceptable to include emoticons in their articles. Seriously? Is this what the world is coming to? *headdesk* I enjoy using emoticons, I really do. Online. There is a time and a place. But this... is not it.

Also, those who end every! other! sentence! with! an! exclamation! mark! (That was seriously painful to type. But it's kinda how some of it starts to read.) Yes, there is great stuff in your article, and I can see how you'd be excited about getting the message out. But honestly... it's just not anything to get quite that hyper over. Please calm down. I'm getting tired just reading this.

And, often combined with the exclamation mark addiction, those who feel the need to write at least a couple words in every paragraph in ALL CAPS. Yes. Thank you. You have emphasized your point sufficiently now. Please stop.

I love editing, I really do. And most of these people are excellent writers, and have great ideas for articles. But really. Really. Sometimes....

(Mmhmm, as a matter of fact I am in the middle of editing the Spring issue at the moment. That's what brought this on. XD )

Also, those who end every! other! sentence! with! an! exclamation! mark! (That was seriously painful to type. But it's kinda how some of it starts to read.) Yes, there is great stuff in your article, and I can see how you'd be excited about getting the message out. But honestly... it's just not anything to get quite that hyper over. Please calm down. I'm getting tired just reading this.

Now, see, there is a time and a place where that is acceptable. Namely if you are writing a script for William Shatner who! will! talk! like! this! anyway!

Now, see, there is a time and a place where that is acceptable. Namely if you are writing a script for William Shatner who! will! talk! like! this! anyway!

....lol'd.

That was quite good.

As for exclamation points, it's mostly people who use a bunch after their sentences that annoy me. You don't need to do this!!!! I can get your point with just one!!!!!

LOL! This is true. Very true indeed. XD *loves ST:TOS in all its cheese* Now I'm going to hear Shatner in my head, every time I edit one of those articles.

Another thing that's been bugging me?

Saying "be sure and do this" is not the same thing as saying "be sure to do this."

The former is what you can use if you're saying "if you want to be sure, do this," or "be sure, and also do this." In either case, you most likely need a comma in there. The latter's what you can use if you just want someone to do something or are saying that you're going to do something.

*twitch* *scribbles madly with Red Pen of Doom*

Edit: @ Murder - Oh yes. Believe it or not, I have written an entire article on the subject. Equally annoying was the article I just edited, which felt the need to add two question marks to the end of every question (of which there were quite a lot). Terminally confused, that one, I think. >.<

Edited by Imbecamiel

Pffffft, love this

I like to use proper grammar (with the occasional lol, smiley, and sound effect now and then). I find it difficult to type incorrectly. However, sometimes I make the innocent mistake of, say, forgetting a comma, or using a semicolon when a comma should have been used. I also make minor spelling mistakes sometimes, though I spell check before I post/send things.

I hate what most people hate: When People Type Like This, oR LiKe ThIs, orz leik thiz. I always get a good chuckle from reading Failbook posts where people correct their friends' grammar.

However, as far as the whole “grammar nazi” thing goes, I wouldn’t consider myself one when it comes to randomly correcting people … it does irk me to see people spelling badly on purpose though.

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Heh, yeah.

Thing is, normal, human mistakes are not a problem. Everyone makes them. And while, yes, a decent amount of care/proofreading is only respectful to the people you're speaking with, in casual conversation mistakes happen. No big deal, most of the time. *shrugs*

And, actually, I don't even mind the occasional bit of deliberate misspelling or even lolspeak - in an appropriate, casual setting.

It's generally incredibly easy, however, to tell the difference between a literate person who's letting off a bit of steam or being silly, and a person who just doesn't care. The former can be quite fun to be around. The latter... can soon get annoying, to varying degrees.

I certainly don't decide whether I like or dislike a person based on the number of typos they make. Far from it. In fact, while I may rant about general issues, when it comes down to an individual person I tend to be very merciful. But a complete disregard for language combined with an attitude or disruptive behavior? Yeah, that's going to make me disinclined to take you seriously on any subject, or (if it persists) even talk with you at all.

As for exclamation points, it's mostly people who use a bunch after their sentences that annoy me. You don't need to do this!!!! I can get your point with just one!!!!!

If there's one thing I hate, it's excessive and unnecessary punctuation, especially those blasted exclamation marks. x_X Every time I see sentences like that I want to just edit it and make it just ONE exclamation mark...*twitch*

I hate what most people hate: When People Type Like This, oR LiKe ThIs, orz leik thiz. I always get a good chuckle from reading Failbook posts where people correct their friends' grammar.

...This is why I hate textspeak. I don't know what half the abbreviations/shortened words stand for...x.x

Usually I'm fairly good with spelling and grammar and often feel the need to correct other peoples' poor spelling and grammar. It just bothers me to be used to seeing correct spelling and grammar all the time and then suddenly seeing a post full of textspeak and horribly spelling words. x.x I sometimes tend to forget letters in words (or even whole WORDS) though...that gets real fun when you're trying to say something and suddenly what you wanted to say doesn't mean what you wanted it to because you forgot a letter or a word.

As for fonts...I like stuff that's easy on the eyes. Calibri is my favorite and I use it on everything. The one font I really hate anymore is Times New Roman. I just hate it. I don't like the way it looks and I've spent way too many years using it because the teachers liked it.

I cant spell, I think its genitic my dad cant spell eather, neather can my mom, they gave me a pocket Dictionary, but that only really helps if you KNOW how to spell the word and need a defanishion. so tongue.gif

You can't inherit bad spelling, though scientists think they found a gene that affects intelligence.

user posted image

user posted image

For the life of me I will never be able to get over always typing nad, -ign, or -toin/tino. DX

People typing "yeha" instead of "yeah" makes me laugh because I always think "Yeeehawww!" Likewise, I hate "teh" partially because I often accidentally type that, and because it just annoys me.

Also, Rhea, in that teacher "Cook"'s post, "Just had a student ask how reading is going to benefit them..." "Them" should be "him or her." But other than that... that teacher's students are just... sigh.

Also, Rhea, in that teacher "Cook"'s post, "Just had a student ask how reading is going to benefit them..." "Them" should be "him or her."

Actually, "them" is becoming more and more accepted as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. It may not be technically correct, but we really need something in the English language to fill that role, and it makes as much sense as any (and more sense than most other suggestions I've seen).

Yes, many times - particularly in formal settings - it'll be corrected to "him or her," but I think the trend is toward "them" being generally taken even by experts as correct usage. Much as I can be an old-fashioned grammar nazi at times... I personally welcome the change. It's certainly smoother in phrases than most alternatives.

For the life of me I will never be able to get over always typing nad, -ign, or -toin/tino. DX

This, so much.

I also have a horrible habit of typing "a" in place of "I".

... I can't for the life of me figure out how the hell I manage to do it on a daily basis... especially when the A key and the I key are on completely different sides...

*starts thinking up government conspiracies* tongue.gif

-K-

I'm the same, except I usually type adn, and if a word ends with -in I almost always add a g at the end. I also forget to capitalize "I" all the time.

if a word ends with -in I almost always add a g at the end. I also forget to capitalize "I" all the time.

Yeah, I do that. It's honestly really annoying, because while my brains knows the correct spelling my fingers seem determined to get it wrong!

user posted image

Not just me then...

Actually, "them" is becoming more and more accepted as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. It may not be technically correct, but we really need something in the English language to fill that role, and it makes as much sense as any (and more sense than most other suggestions I've seen).

Yes, many times - particularly in formal settings - it'll be corrected to "him or her," but I think the trend is toward "them" being generally taken even by experts as correct usage. Much as I can be an old-fashioned grammar nazi at times... I personally welcome the change. It's certainly smoother in phrases than most alternatives.

Careful. Don't let they/them become to commonplace in your vocabulary like I did; I've lost tons of points by the time I was in a high level english class. I have yet to see it be "taken on."

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Careful. Don't let they/them become to commonplace in your vocabulary like I did; I've lost tons of points by the time I was in a high level english class. I have yet to see it be "taken on."

Yeah, I am still very conscious of when I'm using it, and careful when I'm doing anything remotely formal, unless I know for sure it's okay in that publication/setting. For anything important, generally best to go with the stricter/older rules rather than newer usage.

OMG. I thought I was a bad speller but then I got onto the playstation network and I couldn't believe how terrible all of those people can spell.

I use Times New Roman or w/e it's called and have an Oxford American Dictionary right in front of me at all times so most of the time I can find my spelling mistakes.

It bothers me when people talk funny on MSN.

person: I kno rite?

me: Can you please type properly?

person: I dun no what ur talking about.

me: *sighs*

...I usually use Century Gothic for school assignments.

I like Arial Narrow smile.gif I also like geneva for a little fanciness and monotype corsiva for headings.