RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

√-1? whut? O.o

what does that mean?

*feels...out of place....*

Try entering the square root of -1 into a calculator. It comes up as an impossible calculation on most basic calculators. The square root of minus one is what's referred to as an imaginary number and is only used in very high-level mathematics. It is usualy represented as i.

Edited: for clarity

Edited by TikindiDragon

I don't like that either. I don't particularly carry a strong hate for it, but when I'm in a roleplay and people don't capitalize their sentence it annoys me. I'm such a stickler sometimes. Common misspellings and incorrect punctuation are things that I hate.

It's like when I see an un-capitalized sentence I think noob. DX

I think noob a lot when I see grammar errors. Of course, I'm just mean like that, but hey. They are bringing it upon themselves because of their lack of judgment to properly type out a sentence. If I make a mistake in typing, I always edit to fix it. Which is why I stay out of the "Freeform Role Play" section. I fear that's where all the noobs gather, so I don't even bother going there. I know I'll just get too easily ticked off at the others there.

Pet peeve of the moment: "I'm not going nowhere." Oh my god it pisses me off when people say that. No, I'm not the best on grammar or spelling. But I don't say or type stuff like this. Seriously. Also, I hate when people online tlk lyk dis all de tiem n pst lng lsts of "hahaha"s... I encountered someone like this once... I about slaughtered them.

I would have slaughtered them. Figuratively, of course. I can't stand people who type like that! It's so annoying >.<

Pet peeve of the moment: "I'm not going nowhere." Oh my god it pisses me off when people say that.

That's the same kind of grammatical inconsistancy as the American use of "I could care less.". If you take the words as written it doesn't mean what the speaker intends it to mean.

Thankfully I only see it used on the internet - as the saying used in the UK is "I couldn't care less.". Which is grammaticaly consistent.

That's the same kind of grammatical inconsistancy as the American use of "I could care less.". If you take the words as written it doesn't mean what the speaker intends it to mean.

Thankfully I only see it used on the internet - as the saying used in the UK is "I couldn't care less.". Which is grammaticaly consistent.

I think it's like a contraction, but instead of combining words we use a different word. rolleyes.gif

Double negatives annoy me, too, though I'd love to see in a TV show where someone is interrogated and uses a double negative, thus avoiding telling what he knows while not lying.

I think it's like a contraction, but instead of combining words we use a different word. rolleyes.gif

It doesn't make it any more grammticaly correct as a sentance though.

I've managed to get a 100% on every paper I've turned in this semester in my English class aside from the first one, and the professor grades on mechanics over content... So I like to think I at least have a little idea of what I'm doing when it comes to spelling/grammar/punctuation. Online I'm more lax, though. I probably have a number of problems in this post, ahaha...

But what drives me nuts is when people post an entire story where nothing is spelled right, they have never heard of punctuation, they do things like *INSERT SOUND EFFECT HERE* (I've seen, no joke, "look" used as a sound effect in such a situation.) They use chatspeak and I really[/i] hate it when they use extra letters. If it's just dialog or something, I can understand that and I don't care overmuch (Hell, I've done it a few times), but when they're writing a story and they just put that in there for no real reason... Of course, these same people seem to have an insanely limited vocabulary, too, so they're probably all in 3rd grade... :|

As for the whole "I could care less" thing, I try to only say that if I'm being sarcastic, personally, because of what it actually means.

And I hate how so many people nowadays will just read something and totally ignore any spelling/punctuation/grammar problems and such. It makes me sad, because I actually love when people point out problems to me, especially in written works of mine.

I also can't stand when people don't use proper capitalization. If it happens once or twice, fine, it was just a typo. but i hate when people type paragraphs like this. it drives me nuts. don't they know that you need to capitalize "i" and the first letter of each sentence...?

I also hate the way people cannot seem to spell too/to/two, they're/their/there, were/wear/where, and your/you're. I can sort of understand too/to, they just accidentally typed an extra "o" or left one off (unless they do it constantly, then it bugs me a large amount).

Edited by KageSora

...Well, everybody who ever thought about it for half a second (even stupid Americans) says "I couldn't care less." It's just that in speech sometimes things sounds mumbly, I think.

Like "for all intensive purposes." Even people who are actually saying "for all intents and purposes" sound like they're saying it wrong. And for that matter, "should of" and "should have" as well. They sound exactly alike in some accents.

ETA: I was gonna fix the typo, but I'll just let someone else have the joy of pointing it out. wink.gif

Edited by Sadako

Thing that has been bugging me lately:

loose and lose.

loose=not tight

lose=missing

You don't 'loose' your homework. Arg.

I found some people on youtube that uses the god**** dot instead of the comma after the words "and" and "what's your problem".

Wow, he's a fail...

EDIT: Oh, and i almost forgot. His username is "Rasboi", the first letter isn't with caps.

So, i had to put it by myself.

Edited by Rubs

I found some people on youtube that uses the god**** dot instead of the comma after the words "and" and "what's your problem".

Wow, he's a fail...

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot. His username is "Rasboi", the first letter isn't with caps.

So, I had to put it by myself.

... and what exactly were you expecting? It's Youtube.

Btw, had to capitalize your "I"s for you ;p

Edited by RheaZen

@Rubs-- *use

Because plural nouns use the verb without the "s" at the end.

Sorry-- couldn't resist! biggrin.gif

My mom makes those mistakes a lot with verb agreement (though I can't blame her-- english wasn't her first language. Chinese is a hard language to conform from.)

and it drives me crazy. But I'm not mean enough to poke at it too much.

You don't 'loose' your homework. Arg.

You do if you drop your binder and everything get loose.

But then I lose some stuff sometimes. D:

Weird story. The other day I was looking through notes from 5th grade, and I saw "to" instead of "too" and I spent a few minutes looking for a pencil to correct it. I asked my friend if it was normal to be irked by grammar errors, he said he does it too, so it's definitely not normal.

And in my social studies classroom, there's a bunch of projects we made to describe our roles in our lives. One girl put a quote on hers. Tt says "They're's no place like home!" I was like. ಠ_ಠ

The only good grade I'll get on my English homework will be spelling and grammar. Otherwise, I fail.

People at my school who are fluent in English mutilate the language more than those who don't know it natively. Unless an accent means you're mutilating it.

Edited by scratcher_cat

Random rant:

"Skewered" =/= "skewed". *sigh*

To skewer something means to stab, to run it through. To skew something is to bend it, distort, slant.

A comedian may "skewer" his opponents with sharp, witty remarks, but a news story that conveniently doesn't mention important details is probably "skewed."

It is conceivable that facts could be either "skewered" or "skewed," there are all kinds of odd situations out there, but if you mean to say that someone is misrepresenting the truth, or not telling the whole story, then you want to say "skew."

Edited by Imbecamiel

Lol.

Run-on sentences and bland simple sentences irk me oh so much when we're peer editing extended essays in english.