RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

Times New Roman is my main font, as I really do like how it looks and it's great for looking official on reports and such.

For reports I use Times New Roman or Arial [not narrow], since Arial looks good and official and often I'm too lazy to change it from default, Times New Roman.

I used to be a font fanatic, I'd collect really beautiful and unique fonts and use them for school asignment covers, headings and stuff, but ALAS...!! One day my comp crashed, and all my precious fonts were gone in a single wipe..

I still mourn my beloved ultra pretty font collection..

Size 12 Times New Roman. Coz I like functionality.

i get...annoyed when people say the word "wolf" and pronounce it "woof" or "wuf". it just bothers me when they dont pronounce the "l". wolf. not woof.

It bothers me when people talk funny on MSN.

person: I kno rite?

me: Can you please type properly?

person: I dun no what ur talking about.

me: *sighs*

...I usually use Century Gothic for school assignments.

If people text me or try to chat with me like that, I just ignore them. The one exception is my dyslexic friend who didn't ever have a good Sp. Ed. teacher. Even she tries more than some of the other people I've met. v.v

I use Times New Roman or w/e it's called and have an Oxford American Dictionary right in front of me at all times so most of the time I can find my spelling mistakes.

Oooh, I have a pet peeve about that. People who think that dictionaries don't help with your spelling. "It only helps if you already know how it's spelt and need to look up the definition." >_> What exactly are we teaching in classes nowadays, anyway?

Also, spelt should be a word. Sometimes it flows better than spelled. Grr.

Single, double, or 1.5 spacing?

Single, always. 500 words to a page at least. Makes 4pg posts seem truly monstrous in *any* RP.

Oooh, I have a pet peeve about that. People who think that dictionaries don't help with your spelling. "It only helps if you already know how it's spelt and need to look up the definition." >_> What exactly are we teaching in classes nowadays, anyway?

Well, to be fair, if you don't at least know the first letter or two in the word you won't be able to look it up in the dictionary, so it doesn't always help. On the other hand, if you can't find a word in the dictionary that means you definitely can't spell it, so you should probably use a different word. wink.gif

I was typing my answers for an exam I did today. Halfway through I was so tempted to put Comic Sans as a font... XD I wonder if it's possible to get marked down for things like that?

Er... yeah. Sometimes.

If my essays aren't Times New Roman, double-spaced, and 12-point font, my Literature and Compositions teacher takes off... about 5 points.

/pokes Invisible Triple post? o.O

Anyway, I hate it when people say "wolfs" instead of "wolves" or "knifes" instead of "knives".

Well, to be fair, if you don't at least know the first letter or two in the word you won't be able to look it up in the dictionary, so it doesn't always help. On the other hand, if you can't find a word in the dictionary that means you definitely can't spell it, so you should probably use a different word. wink.gif

Of course, it doesn't always help, but the people who protest against a dictionary helping are people who never bothered to listen in English class, and can't spell, anyway. Which bothers me. :<

Though, I've not yet been let down by a dictionary. I did spend half an hour looking for a word one time, but I eventually did find it. I had a lot of ideas on how it might have been spelt. x3

I know I wouldn't be able to live without a dictionary, that's a fact~

Anybody else find it extremely irritating when people say "your welcome" instead of "you're welcome"??? <.<

So, grammar and spelling and fonts! [New].  Discuss.

(And feel free to nitpick each others' posts and argue about the nitpicking.  In fact, I encourage it >:3 )

Here's an obvious nitpick. That should be grammar, spelling, and typefaces!

What am I talking about?

A typeface is something like Garamond or Times New Roman.

A font is either six pounds (or two, or four, or some other amount) of lead-antimony alloy molded into type slugs which have reversed letter shapes from a particular typeface molded on one end of them, for the purpose of printing in that typeface... or it's a computer file with a name like TIMES2B.TTF with vectors and hinting instructions for the purpose of printing and displaying characters in a particular typeface.

Edited by quadibloc

I try not to nitpick when I'm chatting with friends and family online. I spent a few years modding for an online community so generally I can understand anything they throw at me.

I am somewhat unsure on punctuation sometimes. This is slightly embarrassing, because my hobby is writing. I do my best but I get irritable when my sibs point things out. I'm simply not used to it. I'm less irritated when strangers call me out on bad grammar. It's easier to accept for me that way; I've no idea why.

In regards to fonts: Times New Roman, size 12, double-spaced! I don't care much for fancy fonts. Simple does just fine!

I see ex. used more, personally. What do i.e. and e.g. stand for in the first place?

"ita est" (that is) and "exampla gratia" (what it sounds like). I'm probably butchering the words.

It's annoying when people misspell EVERYTHING.

I get to the point that I won't talk to them if they don't at least make an effort to spell stuff right.

And my idiot cousin said "look kerstin if yer a contry gurl an yoo dun tecktz den yoo dun no wen to mis pell stuf"

dry.gif

"ita est" (that is) and "exampla gratia" (what it sounds like). I'm probably butchering the words.

I had been taught that i.e. stood for "id est," but I could be wrong.

I had been taught that i.e. stood for "id est," but I could be wrong.

i.e. is "id est" or "that is (to say)." "Ita est" means "it is so."

e.g. is "exempli gratia," which means "for the sake of example."

I rarely bother with i.e., ex. and e.g.; I just use "for instance" or "for example."

i.e. is "id est" or "that is (to say)." "Ita est" means "it is so."

e.g. is "exempli gratia," which means "for the sake of example."

lol I failed so hard xd.png

S'all good. :3

Usually the only times I'll use i.e. or e.g. are when I'm putting it in a parenthetical statement.

I feel like using terms from a dead language to try and clarify a point is kind of counterproductive some times. xd.png