RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I have seen so many wrong "they're/their" and horrible text shortenings today it's ridiculous.

I guess that's what I get for trusting youtube to have legitimate lyric videos, but hey. tongue.gif

Dude, going onto Youtube expecting anything at all is ridic. It's a cesspool in there.

I use !?.

I always thought it was "?!". Huh.

Grammar is good. Sadly, most kids my age have a very weak grasp on it. My grammar is decent. I often make typos, and mix up "your" and "you're" when I'm not paying attention, but I like to think that my grammar is pretty good. My main problem is that I'm a bit comma-happy. xd.png

Edited by satyr76

My grammar is perfectly fine, but I am too lazy or in too much of a hurry to capitalize everything (since the forum doesn't automatically do that) or all that stuff. And I try to fix any typos i have, but every so often I miss one.

BUT my grammar is better than most of the people i know (who are my age).

edit: from a few pages back...

I say:

My favorite song is "Love Like Woe".

I put the period after the quotation marks. But I was always, always taught like this:

My favorite song is "Love Like Woe."

Same goes for parentheses:

My favorite animal is a cat (a type of feline).

Period after parentheses.

But I was still taught:

My favorite animal is a cat (a type of feline.)

IT NEVER LOOKS RIGHT t___t

Edited by glamoursea2

glamoursea- i was taught to put the period outside of the parentheses, not inside, but i was taught the same as you with the quotations.

I can say that my grammar and spelling can be OK. I know that few mistakes can appear in my posts but English isn't my first language and I don't know all little details but I think it's normal. Right? Sometime I make grammar mistake because I don't pay to much attention and I apply French rules to an English text. Or sometime it's just I write fast and press on the wrong letters on my keyboards

But for some reasons, in French (my first language) my spelling can be horrible sometime but I try my best to do as better as I can.

Edited by Little-Star

I have seen so many wrong "they're/their" and horrible text shortenings today it's ridiculous.

I guess that's what I get for trusting youtube to have legitimate lyric videos, but hey. tongue.gif

I was discussing Mac computers compared to ones running Windows, and I pointed out that he mixed up your and you're, and he bit my head off saying that I was inflexible and a conformist.

I was discussing Mac computers compared to ones running Windows, and I pointed out that he mixed up your and you're, and he bit my head off saying that I was inflexible and a conformist.

...wait what?

Well, I suppose the RRRRRRUUUUUUURRRRUUUUU are inflexible, but still.

Pfft, I got into an argument over quotation marks - I disagreed with someone who thought it was fine, laudable even, to use them in a merely decorative manner, or for emphasis (as in: "No" Entrance By This Door), rather than actual quotation, or to indicate doubt/sarcasm. He refused to acknowledge any potential confusion/ridiculousness this might cause.

His opinion of me, and any other person who dared disagree? I quote - "ignorant of what English grammar and syntax really allow", "ignorant of the difference between style and grammar and syntax" "condemning the social and class issues that result in such style decisions", "lack a generosity of spirit", "unwilling to assume intelligence and foresight in the actions of others" and "duck under the cover of 'humor' in order to disguise classist, elitist, and social judgments against people perceived to be inferior to the commentator." Oh, and also, among the core body of linguists and university-level grammarians, his point of view is so ordinary and plausible as to be hardly worth questioning.

... *sigh*

Pfft, I got into an argument over quotation marks - I disagreed with someone who thought it was fine, laudable even, to use them in a merely decorative manner, or for emphasis (as in: "No" Entrance By This Door), rather than actual quotation, or to indicate doubt/sarcasm. He refused to acknowledge any potential confusion/ridiculousness this might cause.

His opinion of me, and any other person who dared disagree? I quote - "ignorant of what English grammar and syntax really allow", "ignorant of the difference between style and grammar and syntax" "condemning the social and class issues that result in such style decisions", "lack a generosity of spirit", "unwilling to assume intelligence and foresight in the actions of others" and "duck under the cover of 'humor' in order to disguise classist, elitist, and social judgments against people perceived to be inferior to the commentator." Oh, and also, among the core body of linguists and university-level grammarians, his point of view is so ordinary and plausible as to be hardly worth questioning.

... *sigh*

Direct him to the CakeWrecks blog for me. Try to avoid his jaw hitting the floor.

Cami: wat.

Tell me he's not like that with everything else in life as well.

LOL, apparently he is (or considers himself) some kind of expert on slang. And he takes it Quite Seriously. XD On the up-side - it's certainly one of the more interesting insults I've received.

I would so love to see his reaction to Cake Wrecks. Have to wonder if it might enlighten him juuust a little. *bg*

... *sigh*

Quite an interesting person you've got there, Imbecamiel.

And yes, do direct him to CakeWrecks for us.

Your, you're, you are, ect.

Gets me every time. ;~;.

user posted image

That actualy did make me laugh there Kestra. Mostly because I had the voice of the chap from the advert reading the words in my mind. Epic response to bad grammar!

Q: What is the difference between that's and thats?

A: That's is a shorter way of saying "That is"

E.G: "That's a nice robot!" -> "That is a nice robot!"

Whilst "Thats" is a word that doesn't exist.

Q: What is the difference between what's and whats?

A: What's is a shorter way of saying "What is"

E.G: "What's a robot?" -> "What is a robot?"

Whilst "Whats" is a word that doesn't exist.

Q: What is the difference between it's and its?

A: It's is a shorter way of saying "It is"

E.G: "It's a nice robot!" -> "It is a nice robot!"

Whilst "Its" stands for belonging to ___.

E.G: "That's Marty's pet puppy, but I don't know its name"

Its here is the name of the pet pup, in which the speaker does not know of.

EFFECT AND AFFECT:

Generally speaking, affect is a verb and effect is a noun. When you affect something, you produce an effect on it. Even in the passive voice, something would be affected, not effected.

There are certain situations where effect is used as a verb and situations where affect is used as a noun, but very few people ever have a need to use them thus, so unless you are already confident of your ability to use these words correctly, just treat as general the rule that effect is a noun and affect a verb.

So, if you feel the need to get fancy, however, here are the meanings of effect as a verb and affect as a noun. As a verb, effect means to execute, produce, or accomplish something; as a noun, affect is used primarily by psychologists to refer to feelings and desires as factors in thought or conduct.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope it helped some people. I do admit that around twenty minutes before I wrote it, I had no idea that 'thats' and 'whats' doesn't exist!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS WORD (OR TWO)! YAY! xd.png

I see alot.png of people saying alot.png instead of a lot. It really annoys me. A LOT IS TWO WORDS, NOT A SINGLE WORD, PEOPLE!

Edited by Brainiac

I think I am the only one who texts in complete sentences, with proper grammar. It drives my friends nuts because my messages are so long, but I can't stand to use improper grammar.

I think I am the only one who texts in complete sentences, with proper grammar. It drives my friends nuts because my messages are so long, but I can't stand to use improper grammar.

I meet someone who does the same thing. I proclaim us sisters of awesome.

I'm really picky about spelling and grammar. Sometimes I accidentally put an apostrophe where an apostrophe does not go, but that's only when I'm not thinking. I also occasionally make the error of saying 'your' when I mean 'you're' and vice versa. But that's more rare. I don't do it with any other words, it's just your and you're... huh.gif

In my fanfiction, the first Legend of Crystal, some of my obvious errors make me facepalm. The worst one is using a period instead of a comma when someone is speaking. I cannot believe I thought that was correct. Every time I read my story again and see that, I think to myself, 'LOL N00B'. '-_-