RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

i like using proper spelling and grammar to some extent. i usually capitalize, but today i've just been feeling lonely. otherwise, my writing tends to be comprehendable.

at leest i dnt tlk lke dis.

what is with people leaving out vowels?

No idea. I mean, it certainly can't take less time to leave out the vowels, right? Let's see:

I lk 2 tlk lk ths.

Honestly? Took me longer to type. Leaving out the vowels requires a completely different system, and to pick one that's easier while texting but utterly useless for proper communication is silly.

I care about spelling and grammar, but I don't know all the rules so I often make mistakes; I've also inherited slight (and I mean VERY slight) dyslyxia from my mother, so I often make stupid mistakes when typing or writing. Usually I can edit these out, but sometimes I don't even know I've spelt something wrong.

EDIT: And not only does it take longer to type, SoupNazi, it also is VERY ambigous. It can mean all sorts of things, depending on what vowels you insert.

I lk 2 tlk lk ths.

I like too talk like this.

I lake to talk like this.

I like to tulk like this.

I like to talk like these.

I lake to tulk lake these!

Edited by Ruins

I agree with you all. I find it extremely disturbing when someone is typing out such an obvious mistake and has no clue of it whatsoever. I mean, it's really annoying and it actually takes longer time to write "I lk 2 tlk lk dis" since it's much less familar to write as normally as you would. I've yet to meet someone writing that badly, but I ocassionally see someone typing badly. There are multiple ways of avoiding it, but, just, really. I love grammar and I love to see neat words and paragraphs, but when you see it all grossed out and full of such newbie mistakes, you mostly think of "wtf?! how did he do such mistakes?!"

Just put the link to the thread at your signature, so all the n00bz can see.

i like using proper spelling and grammar to some extent. i usually capitalize, but today i've just been feeling lonely. otherwise, my writing tends to be comprehendable.

at leest i dnt tlk lke dis.

I hate it when people tlk leik diss! Or tlkk likee diss. I know it started with texting and having a character limit, but I've seen it on forums too. That just drives me nuts. So does People Who Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence. I mean seriously!

The lack of vowels don't bother me as much as OMG I liiKe CaN't bEliiEvE tHaT, NO wAii!

I lake to tulk lake these!

HAHA! Sorry. That was awesome.

Edited by rainbowsmile

Reviving the thread with a question!

How do you do plurals of acronyms, dates, and letters? For example, OC (original character), 1970, and R. Should it be "OC's, 1970's, and R's" or "OCs, 1970s, and Rs"?

I say OCs unless you're talking about the OC owning something. For instance...

"I have a lot of OCs. This is my second OC's hammer. OCs are cool."

I also put 1970s without the apostrophe.

For letters, I do this.

"The 'a' in arachnid is written like this, the 'T' is Timmy is pronounced like this, and the 'l's in lalaloo don't look like ones."

Which is probably flawed, but I don't really care. xd.png

Apostrophes are never supposed to be used before plural forms, even though a lot of people seem to think they should be.

With the letters the proper form would be just Rs, As, etc.

I saw a book that put single letters in quotes.

What book was that? I've seen many, many books that get punctuation wrong, not to mention there are a few different styles that people subscribe to.

I can't remember exactly. There's a lot of ways to write things, actually. I read this book called Johnny Tremain and in it, when people spoke, it was enclosed with single quotation marks instead of double. And people seem to have differing views on how to write possession with names ending with 's'. In The Giver, it's put as 'Jonas's', but in other books, it would be written as 'Jonas''.

Older books have a tendency to use single quotes instead of double. It's all just style differences and how the conventions of grammar developed.

I loathe spelling, grammar and punctuation errors and I tend to think negatively of people who constantly screw things up. I realize English is not everyone's native language so I try to give people a break. I also know that some people have real dyslexia (as opposed to just laziness).

What irks me are people at work who get paid more than I do making gross errors like typing 'there' instead of 'their', or misusing apostrophes. I also tend to ignore people on message boards who type leik this all teh time. It shows immaturity and makes you look uneducated and ignorant. Maybe you're still a tween but spelling things wrong on purpose is not cool and IIRC when I was 13 I knew how 'like' and 'the' were spelled.

ETA...I'm also a font snob. I HATE Times New Roman and any serif font for that matter. Another font I can't stand is Serpentine Bold Oblique. I see a lot of businesses use that font in their logos and I always shudder.

Edited by mxtine

I can't remember exactly. There's a lot of ways to write things, actually. I read this book called Johnny Tremain and in it, when people spoke, it was enclosed with single quotation marks instead of double.

The Hobbit is written like that. I wanted to take a pencil to it and add another quotation mark every time a character spoke.

What's nitpicking?

Nitpicking is to criticise by looking in at extreme details. Example would be Grammar Nazis who keeps correcting others for such a small grammar mistake. Often interrupting to correct even if it's not so important in the situation. Oh how I dislike them-

My grandmother stopped school at 10 because of the war and she was misspelling. Every time I looked at the shoping list that she wrote for me, I was taking a pen and correcting everything. In the end I couldn't understand what she had written to me, because of my correction above her writting. I guess this is nitpicking.

I put a double space at the end of sentences (that the forum automatically removes). The argument can be made that it's archaic and incorrect. I do it anyway.

Muah ha ha ha ha.

I put a double space at the end of sentences (that the forum automatically removes). The argument can be made that it's archaic and incorrect. I do it anyway.

Muah ha ha ha ha.

I do this, too. It was correct when I was taught, and I'm too used to it to change now.

Grammar and spelling errors do bother me, but I try not to point them out unless the person actually asks for feedback about it. I do get severely annoyed when I see errors on professionally-made signs, though, because I feel like anyone who makes signs for a living should really know better.

One of the errors that's been making me particularly twitchy lately? People writing "relish in."

*sigh*

It's "revel in" or "relish." Please, for the sake of my sanity, don't mash them together...

Heheh, and the whole "double space" thing doesn't bother me too much online, except for looking a bit odd in some circumstances. It only drives me crazy when I have to edit a book where someone's done it - or worse, done it inconsistently, because they know it's not supposed to be that way anymore, but habit keeps taking over. That can be a looooot of work to check and fix. >.<

I'll be the first to admit that my grammar and spelling skills are not the best, but they do work well enough for the papers that I write for college. *shrug*

There is one thing that annoys me which has become increasingly common. It is the use of an apostrophe on a plural noun. NOT a possessive or even a plural possessive, but just an ordinary plural noun.

Example: "I like watching cat's run and play because cat's are cuter than dog's."

It makes me cringe whenever I see this. Anyone else have a similar reaction?

It makes me cringe whenever I see this.  Anyone else have a similar reaction?

Don't worry, it drives me insane as well. laugh.gif

I'm one of the active dragon description reviewers, so I do a ton of editing on spelling/grammar/usage and all that stuff. It's a good thing that I LOVE ENGLISH, because there's a lot to do!

I always point out people's errors in RL, in verbal and written English, and I get a bit annoying sometimes. But I can't help it! ohmy.gif At least it comes in handy when working on the yearbook.

I understand the double-space style, but in descriptions and such I point it out because sometimes it gets distracting from the text. (But I always Accept descrips even with those extra spaces, because I know it's a personal preference.) What REALLY annoys me is my Dragonriders of Pern volume, because it has lots of little typos that jump out at me every time I read it. dry.gif

Grammar nazis for the win! xd.png