RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

...I'm starting to sincerely hate the people that use 'text speak' on the forums.

I can understand if you were actually, y'know, texting since it has a character limit. The forums do not.

It's not that hard to spell 'you' or 'are'.

....It's starting to make me wonder how much I can say before someone warns me for being 'rude' again.

Agreed. >_> I mean, OMG and IKR are okay, but the people who post using "u" and "r" and "2" and "4" . . .

Ugh. I hate chatspeak even over like, Google Buzz (property of gmail, cool feature thats like facebook...post statuses and such and people comment/like) and that's part of gmail. Is it that much trouble to spell out "to you" or "for" or "you"?

Not that I know. This is a well hated font by most.

Edited by wonton55912

I go to a school where almost every single person says 'mines' instead of 'mine.'

As an official grammer Nazi (according to my english teacher) and as a novelist with four published novels, it is second nature.

But... sometimes I let it slip on the internet. I figured that internet-ers wouldn't mind my grammer mistakes as much as publishers and editors.

Grammar doesn't tend to bother me too much. I get annoyed when people confuse words like "their/they're" and use chatspeak, but other than that, I'm not too picky.

That said, I have seen some horrendous grammar that makes comprehension completely impossible. The way I see it, if your grammar makes me read your post several times, you probably shouldn't be writing like that. Just my two cents. smile.gif

i dont find any of those important unless professinoaly realated (school, work, ect...)

You never know who judges you online. People have been fired from what they post on facebook.

I, for one, wouldn't want to hire someone who thinks that being appropriate doesn't matter unless you're being graded on it. :l It's like saying respect doesn't matter unless they're your boss, parent, etc.

i dont find any of those important unless professinoaly realated (school, work, ect...)

What about just being taken seriously?

*I don't find any of those [things] important unless professionally related (school, work, etc.).

Unfortunately, though, if you can't spell "professionally" correctly, you're unlikely to be taken seriously professionally. ;)

Yes, they're not as important casually, but if you don't make any effort in an unprofessional environment, you're going to find it very difficult to make the switch at the times when it is important. (This "you" being the general you, not directed at a specific person.)

I just don't use 100% perfect grammar when on web games or like forums... I don't use facebook for myspace of any social networking sites. I use propper grammar in real life. Its just pointlesst to me when I'm talking 2 a bunch of ppl I never met befor on a forum....

I just don't use 100% perfect grammar when on web games or like forums... I don't use facebook for myspace of any social networking sites. I use propper grammar in real life. Its just pointlesst to me when I'm talking 2 a bunch of ppl I never met befor on a forum....

Well, I suppose it's easy to do in real life considering you don't have to spell anything out. :l That's when you'd do badly.

I dunno. I like being seen as at least a semi-educated and serious person. I also plan on making a few buddies when I talk to folks, so I like making a good first impression.

Even if it is a forum full of folks you'll never see in person, doesn't mean you have to be apathetic to 'em. They're still people.

Unfortunately, though, if you can't spell "professionally" correctly, you're unlikely to be taken seriously professionally. wink.gif

Yes, they're not as important casually, but if you don't make any effort in an unprofessional environment, you're going to find it very difficult to make the switch at the times when it is important. (This "you" being the general you, not directed at a specific person.)

OHH NOES! I dropped an l! The worlds gonna end and no1 will ever take me seriously. [/sarcasm]

And I kno. Its happened b4 and I don't really care. My sister ownes her own buisness and I work for her. I don't need to apply for a job.

OHH NOES! I dropped an l! The worlds gonna end and no1 will ever take me seriously. [/sarcasm]

And I kno. Its happened b4 and I don't really care. My sister ownes her own buisness and I work for her. I don't need to apply for a job.

No higher aspirations, eh?

Its just pointlesst to me when I'm talking 2 a bunch of ppl I never met befor on a forum....

Er... if you really don't care at all, then why even bother talking with people on forums?

Yes, certainly, you should generally put more weight on the opinions of people that you're interacting with professionally or in real life. But saying that's more important isn't the same as saying that in other circumstances it doesn't matter at all.

As Vexx said, people are still people, and there's a certain amount of basic respect in at least making an attempt to be understandable. And besides that, I've found some great friends online, friends I now know in real life as well. Making those friends would've been pretty hard if I didn't actually see them as people - even if I was talking with them online - and interesting, and deserving of respect.

Pointless? I beg to differ. Chat speak and improper grammar actually ANNOYS me. It annoys many people, in fact. All those people who are annoyed by improper grammar? Well, every time you post, you're being rude to them, as you've decided that because it isn't important to YOU that you don't have to do it.

Really, it's more pointless to NOT use proper grammar than it is TO use proper grammar, as on a forum, chat speak has absolutely no purpose, as you have all the time in the world to post. Not to mention that using proper grammar takes but a second longer than improper grammar.

Edited by soupnazi

LOL, yeah, that was my first thought too, actually - "Whaaat? Darth Vader is relevant, how? *eyes random!Rhea*" And then I saw what it was. XD

Can't remember - has anyone posted these here?

user posted image

user posted image

Also, this video is morbid but hilarious.

Any video link makes me suspicious. =.= /has been rickrolled too many times

Even though it's to collegehumor...

Any video link makes me suspicious. =.= /has been rickrolled too many times

Even though it's to collegehumor...

Ahhh, yes, I can understand that. Never rickrolled anyone myself, so the reservation hadn't occurred to me. XP Unfortunately, can't embed the video on the forum, so... *shrug*

Edited by Imbecamiel