RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I have a question regarding speech. Recently, a friend told me that you shouldn't have words capitalized after speech, and so I tried to stop doing that, but when I look at books I see weird inconsistencies in this. What are the specific rules for capitalization after speech?

If the dialogue ends a sentence and you're moving on to something else (another sentence) and there's a period in the speech, then I would capitalize. Also if the name of the person speaking comes right after, but that's a given.

If the dialogue ends a sentence and you're moving on to something else (another sentence) and there's a period in the speech, then I would capitalize. Also if the name of the person speaking comes right after, but that's a given.

So basically, it would be:

"blah blah blah." said Such-and-such.

"blah blah blah." The man walked away.

So basically, it would be:

"blah blah blah." said Such-and-such.

"blah blah blah." The man walked away.

I would put a comma instead of a period before the end quote in the first example, but for the second one yes.

I would put a comma instead of a period before the end quote in the first example, but for the second one yes.

Yeah, of course.

Most self proclaimed grammar Nazis do not know anything beyond the proper use of there, their, they're, your, and you're.

I recommend the grammar book The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. I don't think anyone can truly know all the rules of grammar until they get a PhD in English or something.

Strunk and White is my favorite style book. To publish in Education, you have to follow the APA style, which is actually close to Strunk and White (I'm particularly fond of serial commas). You don't need a Doctorate to know all grammar rules, or the correct spellings, word usage, and punctuation rules either, but being an editor helps.

And as far as those pesky rules regarding commas/periods inside of quotation marks, that depends on your country of origin.

Does anyone know where it came from that they are always inside of quotation marks whether or not it makes sense?

I'm hardly a Grammar Nazi. I'm a normal human being. I try my best, but I screw up a lot..mostly due to my fast typing..or spacing out. Also, I've been outside of school for awhile, so my grammar is slowly going down the poop shute. It's rather sad.

I'm a self-proclaimed ellipses addict if anything. It's the bane of my writing existence to be honest. Yet, I love them so. It makes life easier for me despite my overuse of them and probably incorrect use. haha.

I have a bunch of grammar books in my household though..I should probably look at them more often. I actually think Elements of Style is in my room somewhere amongst the horrid mess. XD

Have any of you heard of this book: Eats, Shoots, Leaves? (not sure if I got the punctation of the book title correct >.>..). It's supposedly a book that teaches you grammar whilst being entertaining at the same time. I'm just wondering if this is true or not...and if the grammar taught is worthwhile. I would look at Amazon.com reviews..but most of those are a bunch of BS.

Have any of you heard of this book: Eats, Shoots, Leaves? (not sure if I got the punctation of the book title correct >.>..). It's supposedly a book that teaches you grammar whilst being entertaining at the same time. I'm just wondering if this is true or not...and if the grammar taught is worthwhile. I would look at Amazon.com reviews..but most of those are a bunch of BS.

Oh, yes indeed, that happens to be among my favorite books - I've re-read it probably three or four times. I'm an editor, and enjoy reading even "dry" grammar-related books, but that one is both very funny and helpful.

It's not intended to be a comprehensive book on grammar, but it's got lots of good stuff on both the history and usage of punctuation. :3

Edited by Imbecamiel

Oxford comma comes after the word you listed before the 'and'.

...the cat, dog and bear.

...the cat, dog, and bear.

That's something, I always will use. xd.png

I'm obsessed with grammar. I can't stand it when I spell something wrong or when I make fragments. /:

Oh man, and how angry people get at me for being like this...

Oh, yes indeed, that happens to be among my favorite books - I've re-read it probably three or four times. I'm an editor, and enjoy reading even "dry" grammar-related books, but that one is both very funny and helpful.

It's not intended to be a comprehensive book on grammar, but it's got lots of good stuff on both the history and usage of punctuation. :3

Awesome~ C:

It's nice to get an actual editor's opinion rather than Joe Schmoe's opinion, haha.

I'll have to look more into purchasing a copy of that book..Maybe Amazon will be of good use to get a decent used copy for a good deal.

I have plenty of "dry" grammar books from college/high school so "no worries" about that. It would just be nice to have a good, amusing one as well - one I wouldn't put down almost immediately. I can only take dry books for so long before all the words start to combine and I space out, etc...

TO EVERYONE ON THIS TOPIC: No matter how good your grammar is, the only thing what matters is the way how you spell to others understand you...

Well, my grammar wasn't that good at the time i joined this site. So, i slowly improved.

Edited by Rubs

TO EVERYONE ON THIS TOPIC: No matter how good your grammar is, the only thing what matters is the way how you spell to others understand you...

Well, my grammar wasn't that good at the time i joined this site. So, i slowly improved.

I have to disagree with you. Spelling is important, yes. But grammar is just as important when it comes to understanding someone.

Grammar is especially important when talking to someone who's native tongue isn't English.

Where you place your words and punctuation influences what a sentence means.

For example

Eats shoots and leaves verus Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Eats shoots and leaves hints towards eating plants

Whilst Eats, shoots, and leaves hints towards eating somewhere, shooting something like a gun, and then exiting the place the person was at.

Now, perfect grammar, while being an excellent feat, is not quite necessary on a forum....decent grammar is...Just saying...

*nods*

Yep. I most certainly do not expect perfect grammar from anyone - myself included - in a casual setting like a forum. (One could argue that perfect grammar is actually impossible anywhere, between human fallibility and diverse views on what is "correct" regarding certain aspects. But anyhow.)

I've no problem, actually, with even occasional deliberate bad grammar, in a casual setting. But putting forth the effort to communicate clearly is important, and using correct grammar can help to avoid many misunderstandings.

It's usually easy to tell the people who do understand grammar, but are just being relaxed (while still trying to communicate clearly), from the people who just don't know or care to know. :3

Edited by Imbecamiel

Grammar- I shudder at this topic. I hate grammar very much, but I'm not a redneck. It's just that when I went to school, I didn't do well on those tests. *shudder* Grammar is important, though. Saying "We is" sounds plain STUPID.

Spelling- Spelling doesn't really matter. The words just have to be understandable. If I put "I ate to much for desert." most people would know it would be "I ate too much for dessert." People misspell all the time. Right now, I'm not that sure if I spelled "misspell" correctly. biggrin.gif

No Eggspam.

Edited by MURDERcomplexx

Grammar- I shudder at this topic. I hate grammar very much, but I'm not a redneck. It's just that when I went to school, I didn't do well on those tests. *shudder* Grammar is important, though. Saying "We is" sounds plain STUPID.

Spelling- Spelling doesn't really matter. The words just have to be understandable. If I put "I ate to much for desert." most people would know it would be "I ate too much for dessert." People misspell all the time. Right now, I'm not that sure if I spelled "misspell" correctly.  biggrin.gif

Eggspam Removed.

I can understand most chatspeak. Does that make it any less inconsiderate or lazy? Now, I know that's different, as chatspeak is voluntary and using to instead of too is mostly ignorance, but it's really not difficult to learn the difference, and you're saving a lot of annoyance if you just use proper grammar.

Edited by MURDERcomplexx

Spelling is a huge deal to me. Especially when it comes to words I have been using forever, when I see them spelled incorrectly it makes me want to correct them

And I always double space after a sentence begins, even on here. Does anybody else do that?

Fonts...? Like cambria/times new roman/arial?

If so, is it sad that I can recognize a whole bunch of fonts out of the top of my head?

Yeah, like those.

Papyrus is apparently the official font of the middle east and to hate on it is racist...?

Hm.

I'm usually really nitpick-y about spelling/grammar/conventions/etc...

Seriously, bad spelling hurts me.

As for grammar...

Well...

I'm not perfect, as you can obviously see, but I do prefer people to actually try.

Even if ur typng liek dis, I wud prefur if u uze corrct grammarz, amrite?

Sorry for the above sentence, but it's to reinforce my point that grammar is very important xd.png

Edited by jumonjiforum

I used to, but ceased to do so some time ago.

This.

And I love Papyrus!