joiner123

Battling

Personalizing the collecting X3

Personally I'm not even a big fan of descriptions

Battle stats and kudos could be integrated into lineages. =3

"OH YEA I WANT THAT EGG FROM THAT BLACK WITH >9000 STRENGTH AND THE MAGI WITH 42 MAGIC!"

Iz collecting.

Tis also forcing people to battle to get better trades ><

Howso? That's like saying breeding lineages is forcing people to add to the AP wall to get better trades. You don't NEED to battle, you don't get any perks aside from some little stats. I'd think a gold or silver would still be worth more than an over 9000 strength black.

But would you rather have the child of a 9000 strength black, or a normal black? Both adults require the same amount of effort to get, but the child of the seasoned black will be preferred because of that number. The person with the un battled black is left in the dust.

Battling isn't anything that I would want to do but as long as I wasn't required to battle, I have no problem with it being an option for people who want to do it.

But would you rather have the child of a 9000 strength black, or a normal black? Both adults require the same amount of effort to get, but the child of the seasoned black will be preferred because of that number. The person with the un battled black is left in the dust.

Would I rather a dorkface black, or a normal black? To me, the first one I get my hands on is the one I want. I'm not interested in lineages. There are others who aren't. I suspect battling would work the same way. I rarely, if ever, check parents, unless I'm avoiding inbreeding. A lot of others do the same.

The only competition I can see is the lineages. But hey, it's good to have some healthy competition once in a while =3

Yes, but..................

Lineages are derived from a few dragons (The Big ones, Thuwed, Dorkface, etc.) Battling is a whole different whooplah.Anyone can do it, anyone can have a Midas Dorkface. Then you decide, would you rather have just a dragon, or a dragon with a title? Plus lineages affect a (relatively) small number of dragons, battiling will affect manyy times more, making those who battle, in a better osition to trade, and those who can't or won't in a new shelter project similar to the inbreeding shelter.

I don't see the logic here with "we'll be forced to battle our dragons".

No one forces you to breed your dragons, no one forces you to collect all cave borns, no one forces you to take part in lineages, no one forces you to describe your dragons, no one forces you to only take non-inbreds. Battling dragons will only affect those who care about battles! <________< It's just going to be another thing that adds to the fun of the site, some of you are saying "if you're so bored, go play something else", well, what if I want to play DC?

Also, from my last post in this thread... I can definitely see dragons fighting for sport, I mean, we do have SEVERAL BREEDS that are agressive and basically like to fight. Now, not all dragons we have are going to be fighting, whites, frills, mints, guardians, etc., but what about blacks, magis, earths, storms, vines and others? They're naturally aggressive breeds, I'm sure they'd like to battle for the heck of it.

If you want to trade (In the future) Will you be FORCED to get a magi?

Same thing, I've already explained why >_>

If you want to trade (In the future) Will you be FORCED to get a magi?

Same thing, I've already explained why >_>

I don't get how this is the same... Could you explain this analogy?

Read the 4th page and my post up there, I'd really rather not re-type it again, plus I'm not the first to explain it

Read the 4th page and my post up there, I'd really rather not re-type it again, plus I'm not the first to explain it

I'm not sure which post you mean... Can't you just quote it? :/

This:

And in response to "That is the same as lineages, it wouldn't affect it"

Yes, but..................

Lineages are derived from a few dragons (The Big ones, Thuwed, Dorkface, etc.) Battling is a whole different whooplah.Anyone can do it, anyone can have a Midas Dorkface. Then you decide, would you rather have just a dragon, or a dragon with a title? Plus lineages affect a (relatively) small number of dragons, battiling will affect manyy times more, making those who battle, in a better osition to trade, and those who can't or won't in a new shelter project similar to the inbreeding shelter.

Do bred eggs almost always get left behind in favor of caveborns?

Unless I specifically want a CB egg, I don't care at all what the dragon's lineage is. It would make no difference to me what level the dragons parents were unless I was specifically looking for certain lines.

Not everyone cares about a dragon's lineage, battling parents is a part of the lineage, so therefore=same thing.

It makes no sense to say people will all suddenly stop collecting regular eggs and only take eggs with battling lineages.

People still take bred eggs and non-dorkface dragons, and people will still take non-battle eggs.

Edited by Sun Dragon Angel-A

It totally could

Battling would become preety common, and prefferred, why? Titles, simply titles. I know lineages don't matter to some people, but others would rather say, I have a Gold with Level 100 Parents, then, I have a Gold.

OK, HONESTLY, which would you rather trade for

Have :

Water with Level 100 Parents, also a Dorkface

Want:

CB Magi

Can trade IMMEDIATELY

OR:

Have :

Water Egg

Want:

CB Magi

Can trade IMMEDIATELY

It totally could

Battling would become preety common, and prefferred, why? Titles, simply titles. I know lineages don't matter to some people, but others would rather say, I have a Gold with Level 100 Parents, then, I have a Gold.

OK, HONESTLY, which would you rather trade for

Have :

Water with Level 100 Parents, also a Dorkface

Want:

CB Magi

Can trade IMMEDIATELY

OR:

Have :

Water Egg

Want:

CB Magi

Can trade IMMEDIATELY

You're tying it to dorkface... :/

Most everyone wants a dorkface dragon, and would go for it because it's dorkface.

I'd only want it because it has dorkface parents, and if it wasn't a dorkface, unless I really wanted a water with level 100 parents, I wouldn't care.

Well can't say much to that..........

I just think, as battling becomes common, well trained dragon's babies will be preferred over others (generally). Eventually, non-seasoned dragons will become the new inbreds, and will be difficult to trade.

Well can't say much to that..........

I just think, as battling becomes common, well trained dragon's babies will be preferred over others (generally). Eventually, non-seasoned dragons will become the new inbreds, and will be difficult to trade.

If battling is common, then, well, who cares about it if it's so common? Breds are common, but most have average lineage. So, most breds will have "average" battle lineage.

I could see eggs with really, really high level parents being in great demand, but that's comparable to dorkfaces or thuweds. Everyone wants them, but everyone is not going to stop grabbing all other eggs just because they're not dorkface or thuwed or whatever.

Also, some people I'm sure will prefer non-battle lineages.

Edited by Sun Dragon Angel-A

If clean lineages are so common, why do people care? Thay just do.............

Buuuuut. How do you tell something more intelligent than you what to do? "OH HEY DRAGON GO KICK THAT OTHER ONE BETWEEN THE WINGS"... I can imagine the response to be something equivalent to a middle finger. That's my question.

I don't necessarily think you can. That's why I think that an option on the dragon's page should be available every so often (random or not) that tells us that the dragon is feeling restless and wants to battle. That way we aren't forcing/ordering it to do anything.

Look, I really just don't get the point of this, coding and ethics and likleyhood aside, what would this ADD to the COLLECTING GAME of dragcave?

The fact is that DC is not a static game. When I started playing there was a large emphasis on the competitive nature of the game. There weren't a lot of gifting threads, the LiT thread wasn't a place that was to help you get dragons back as much as a place to send people so they'd stop filling up the forum with posts most people didn't want to read, there weren't catchers, etc. But, over time, people's focus of the game has shifted to the point that now we're adding a trading system. This game changes and it grows.

So the argument that it doesn't fit with someone's idea of the current game and therefore shouldn't be done doesn't really make sense when you consider DC as a more fluid game.

Why should a person be allowed to increase the value of their egg via lineage projects and not via battling? The same argument could then be made that it's not fair that people in lineage projects might have more valuable eggs than I do because I don't care to participate in one.

The fact is that at this point in time there are a number of things that you can do to make your eggs more valuable - low gen, specific breed pairing, pure bred, clean lines, lineaged, even gens - that I don't think that this is going to be something that disrupts the DC economy.

~Sarah~

I think I have to agree with the 'you won't have to battle' wagon. Its the same way a person won't be forced to get lineage dragons, or CBs, or non-inbreds.

And, if you do want dragons with high stat parents, but don't want to go through the bother of training, you can always trade.

Now, if it turns out this is logistically impossible, obviously I think the idea should be scrapped. But otherwise, I think this could be done quite tastefully, not like another pokemon, and in a way that doesn't force players to play.

1) Only battling dragons should battle.

This should leave out mints, whites, and any other species the artist/creator says would not fight.

Also, I'm wondering if we should leave out draks, neos and any other 'animal' intelligence creatures, just for ethics sake.

2) Users can't just order dragons around.

I'm thinking this should be put into play slightly differently than other 'actions'. Maybe a small, mandatory cool down period (the dragon needs to rest), but the dragon also has to want to battle. This, I think, could come up randomly. When the dragon decided it wants to, and you click the action, you can choose to fight another dragon who also wants to battle.

3) No advantages essential to the game.

So, a well-trained dragon shouldn't be given special BSAs, actions, and rare eggs shouldn't appear for winning.

It would be nice for well-trained dragons to have stats. Good stats, could, of course make their offspring worth more, same as with lineages. But maybe an option to completely hide stats from people who don't want to show them?

They're just a few suggestions, but I think they could go a long way to adressing the main problems people see with battling.

Edited by Completely Different

I prefer only caveborns or purebred lineages. I don't care for Dorkfaces. In fact I didn't even know what they were until I picked one up, didn't like all the different dragons in the lineage, and reabandoned it. So would I battle if it were available? Yes, at least to try it once. Would it make my dragon any more valuable to me? That I don't know. In all honesty, if I picked up an egg from level 100 parents but it wasn't purebred, I'd abandon it. We are talking about an option here, and I don't see it any different than participating in a lineage. Some go nuts over it, but some don't.

If it weren't required, then you could ignore it if you wish.

Now, I am trying to formulate a plan on how this would work from a coding point of view. With the fact that only 5 dragons have something about fighting or opponents in their description, I went to go check my own dragons, my original idea is out. The only thing I can figure is it would be like 2 like-minded people that get together and spar with swords for fun and honing skills. Which reminds me, I need to start training with that broadsword again.

Now, I am trying to formulate a plan on how this would work from a coding point of view. With the fact that only 5 dragons have something about fighting or opponents in their description, I went to go check my own dragons, my original idea is out. The only thing I can figure is it would be like 2 like-minded people that get together and spar with swords for fun and honing skills. Which reminds me, I need to start training with that broadsword again.

Maybe you could only battle other dragons on your scroll?

I don't know much about coding, but I could imagine it would be easier, since all the actions we have now are only possible to use with other dragons on your own scroll (minus reviewing descriptions and teleport).

2) Users can't just order dragons around.

I'm thinking this should be put into play slightly differently than other 'actions'. Maybe a small, mandatory cool down period (the dragon needs to rest), but the dragon also [has to I]want[/i] to battle. This, I think, could come up randomly. When the dragon decided it wants to, and you click the action, you can choose to fight another dragon who also wants to battle.

Battling should have a timer like other actions (recovery/rest time?).

I think each breed should have a different time that must be waited to battle. Blacks and vines should have the shortest timers until they can next battle, and depending on how fight inclined the breed is, that determines the timer.

For white, mints, etc, it's be "this breed is not capable of battling".

I think draks and neos should be left out, too, not sentient enough to battle.