rainface

Hatchlings

"Why would someone set a trap?" Raven asked Rimaline innocently. Rimaline was quite surprised at Raven's naivety, since Rimaline had escaped several traps in the past few weeks and couldn't imagine not being suspicious.

"Not all dragons are friendly. The light could to lure hatchlings like us in to be captured. It could also be human trappers, but I've never heard of a human sorcerer with that much magical power."

Rimaline looked around nervously. Her own words had spooked her. As she checked the area, she saw a Guardian hatchling watching them.

Rimaline jumped and was about to tell Raven about him, when a Nhiostrife Wyvern with a Rainbow Copper hatchling on her back landed in front of Rimaline and Raven.

The Nhiostrife Wyvern had a proud, almost haughty, expression, which automatically made Rimaline feel small. The Rainbow Copper hatchling on her back wasn't as intimidating. Her metallic scales glinted in the red beacon light and she looked at Rimaline, Raven, and the Guardian hatchling curiously.

"Hello there, you lot. Come a long way, have you?" the Nhiostrife Wyvern asked Rimaline, Raven, and the Guardian hatchling. She looked them over. She had a condescending, bored tone, like she didn't feel like dealing with them right now.

Anxiety started to well up in Rimaline's belly, but she wanted to be brave. Even if the dragon turned out to be hostile, she wanted to start things off friendly and outgoing, kind of like of Raven had been friendly to her.

She muttered, "Yes, we have come a long way. Raven and I just met, and we were wondering about the red beacon light on top of the mountain. Do you know of any good caves we could take shelter in? The one on the top of the mountain was full of bats and spiders." Rimaline's voice kept getting quieter and quieter. So much for being friendly and outgoing, Rimaline thought to herself.

((I chose blue for Rimaline's dialogue; just the one from the editor. I might change it later, I don't know.))

Edited by Lily14130

((Okay... so I guess Mihari's near us? I'll bring him over.))

Raven frowned as she took in Rimaline's words. Some dragons... aren't friendly? It was strange concept to her and as she struggled to wrap her head around it, she thought back to her parents and her brother. Did... did they run into some unfriendly dragons? She shuddered. Her frown deepened as she thought the word human over. It was foreign to her, and she wasn't sure that she liked these"humans" that Rimaline was talking about.

She saw Rimaline jump, and followed her blue gaze to a Guardian hatchling who stared back at them. Another hatchling? She could hardly believe it. I wonder if we're in a really populated area or something. Where were they during the week I was wandering? Next thing you know, an adult dragon is going to show up. She beckoned the Guardian hatchling closer with her tail and had just opened her mouth to call out a greeting, when a fully grown Nhiostrife and a Copper hatchling landed in front of them.

"You have got to be kidding me!, she muttered aloud, just as the Nhiostrife spoke.

"Hello there, you lot. Come a long way, have you?"

"I'd say," she murmured, preparing to introduce herself and Rimaline to the adult.

She bit back her surprise when her shy new friend boldly spoke up, admiring her bravery, even in the face of this massive adult. As she talked, Rimaline's voice started to fade, and Raven decided that it was time to jump in and help, her loud and excited voice contrasting with her friend's soft and quiet one.

"We were about to go up there and explore, since we saw the really bright red light! We were hoping to find some other dragons who could help us. Were you two the ones who lit it? Oh! I'm Raven, and this is Rimaline. It's nice to meet you!"

Mihari was surprised to find other hatchlings here, then he remembered that was his main reason to come here. He stood there a moment to see if they would notice him. He saw that they were having a conversation, so he didn't want to interrupt them. Mihari wondered if this was a good idea. Though he couldn't hear what they were saying, they looked like they were having a friendly conversation, so he quickly lost that worry. He then wondered if there were even more dragons around, and they were luring hatchlings into a trap? Mihari let that thought stay a little longer, but he wouldn't let himself worry about things like this. He was a Guardian hatchling after all. If he were to worry about anything at all, it would be the safety of others.

Mihari didn't have to ponder about this much longer. He noticed that one of the hatchlings, the Black Alt., was staring straight at him, so Mihari looked up at them. Then the hatchling beckoned him closer using her tail, just as a Nhiostrife Wyvern flew above them. He could see that the Nhiostrife also noticed him, but not as friendly. She had looked more annoyed as they glanced at him an the other hatchlings as she descended. He could see the Black Alt. about to say something, but the Nhiostrife's landing interrupted them. Mihari was walking towards the hatchlings before he saw the adult Wyvern, and froze. It looked like he was right about there being even more dragons. He looked up to hear her say, "Hello there, you lot. Come a long way have you?"

The Nhiostrife's words reminded him of his hunger and fatigue. By the time he walked up to them the hatchlings had already answered, and the Nhiostrife was looking his way with an uninterested expression. "Ye- yes... I have," he replied. As he spoke he gained more confidence. "I had been lost, so I found my way to a clearing." "While I rested there, I noticed a blindingly bright light coming from the top of this mountain." Mihari pointed his tail at the shining source, which still persisted to glow. "That is when I made my way here, to see what it was, when I saw these two hatclings," Mihari said, looking back at the other two. "I just wanted to know who had caused that beacon to glow, and why," Mihari finished. "My name is Mihari, by the way," he added, slightly hesitant.

All Irah could muster was "Oh um...okay." Zeditha obviously knew what she was talking about and Irah didn't want to argue, even though she knew of the Vampire's existence. Then again she had only ever caught a glimpse of the hellion every now and then; he was good at hiding in the shadows.

So Irah said nothing as Zeditha picked her up and flew her down the path. She observed the hatchlings before them and took note that Rimaline was in fact a White dragon with her distinctive crown and feathered wings. Her wings didn't look fully grown so Irah assumed she was the same age as her with Raven being younger. She then turned her attention to Mihari who looked starved and immediately wanted to help in some way, but for now Zeditha was the one in charge so it was up to her to decide if he was worth caring for or not.

((Did I describe Rimaline correctly?))

Edited by Booo

Three... three hatchlings. Where were their parents anyway?! Zeditha could only ask herself that as she silently listened to the trio. Once they were all done speaking, she glanced back at the beacon, then towards Irah, then back at the newcomers.

What to do, what to do... it would be easy to turn them away, even shoo them off, as a matter of fact. Zeditha needed able-bodied inhabitants, not helpless whelps. Still... she hadn't forgotten about what she herself was capable of at that age. She could rival many adults, even lacking wings. Perhaps... yes. Perhaps young minds would prove more malleable. And if these three managed to brave the hazards of the wilds on their own and climb all the way up here unassisted, they had good foundations to build upon. She pondered for a brief moment, before speaking:

When I guided our modest group here, I did so with the intention of providing them with a place to call home. A place to use for shelter and protection. Things changed when we arrived. The complex is huge, though unexplored, and has the potential to hold several herds' worth of us. -she spoke calmly, almost eerily so.

And so I started the light that lead you here, in the hopes that more able-bodied inhabitants would help make this place a worthy refuge. That however, -she stared at them intently, lowering her tone to underline her seriousness- will not change.

Mihari, Raven, Rimaline, my name is Zeditha. You're welcome to take refuge here, if you so desire. The cavern entrance is a short walk further up this very path. There, you will be warm and safe. I've dealt with the pests on the upper levels, though there are more to be disposed of the lower we descend. For now, what I've cleared should be enough. However, if you plan on staying with us, I expect you to contribute to the group, one way or another. And you... -she looked at Mihari- I regretfully admit, we've not been here for long, and have no food stored up, at least nothing from the hunting grounds down below. I don't know what you're fond of eating, Mihari, but if you find anything in the cavern itself, you're free to have it.

Lifting Irah off of her back, Zeditha placed her down on the path next to the other three, Zeditha glanced between all four, and asked:

Was I clear?

((Anyone want to have the jobs system? I think it was once one of the founding features of the RP. ^^ It's fine if you don't. I'm just putting it out there.))

Edited by Brotato

Quorran didn't want to quit just yet. "We'll dig you out and pry it from—" Thankfully he was cut short when the ground underneath him trembled and he fell over backward with a thud. "Ow..." he muttered and acted like he didn't appreciate the help. "Uh thanks I guess..."

Artemis came over and inspected Galletian's wing again. "Well thankfully it hasn't gotten much worse." she said then turned Quorran. "That was....harsh." she said, smiling a little like she meant it as a compliment.

~~~

Crusher broke into a run and—ignoring the warning he received—took to the air despite his wing; it felt like a hundred daggers were piercing his hide but he wasn't letting anything get in his way during a time like this. When it got to be too much he took to traveling by foot until the pain died down then flew again. This cycle continued for what felt like hours until he reached the mountain foothills. He was slowing down, his shoulder numb and bleeding.

((I guess this is where Torque comes in.))

Edited by Booo

((I was hoping for Messanger to show up or something, but... I can post for Torque if you want. Anything particular in mind?)

user posted image

Sky Shiner blinked with surprise at Zeditha's retreating back as she walked casually out of the cave. "Well, she's certainly perceptive..." It was almost as if she'd read his mind when she assured him that she meant none of them any malice. He still didn't fully trust her but what she'd told him was enough to satisfy his doubts for the moment. It was true, after all. If she really had wanted to harm any of them, she'd done so earlier. Sky shrugged, turning back to the crystals. Now that she wasn't in the same cave as him, he wasn't going to bother much about it. Besides, he was alone so he was fine.

Visibly, Sky relaxed as he brushed a wing over the crystals glimmering in the cave. The neutral, tense, shy mask he usually had on fell away as a slight smile tugged on the corners of his mouth. Taken by the enigmatic glow of the crystals, he slithered about the cave, watching each one closely as they seemed to twinkle at him. As he lost himself in his thoughts, one in particular occurred to him. Why not explore the rest of the cave system while he was at it? It wasn't as if Zeditha had restricted him from it. Slowly, he slithered to the dark depths of the gem cave, cautiously lifting a slightly glowing wing (which had a slightly crimson tinge to it, much to his irritation). However, he didn't get far before a sudden twinge of hesitation made him stop. Maybe he shouldn't enter just yet. However, the more he thought about it, it was decidedly better than exploring with the others. It wasn't like he was scared or anything...was he?

Sky frowned at the darkness. It was definitely safer to explore with the others. Sure, it would be extremely awkward but better safe than sorry, right? After all, Zeditha had mentioned a deep drop somewhere. Then again...he could fly, couldn't he? Sky scoffed quietly to himself, moving further into the darkness, picking his path carefully with help from his glowing wings. Might as well explore a little before the others could get there. As long as he remained cautious, he'd be alright. Probably.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Quietly listening to the dragon he now knows as Zeditha, Mihari quickly glanced at where he thought the cave would be. It couldn't be much larger than the one he used to call home, which contained hundreds of dragons. He had less doubt about its capacity when he saw how large it was on the outside. Who knows what the interior would have? When Zeditha finished talking, Mihari nodded weakly. He was more than willing to do something to contribute by guarding the cave. Mihari's hunger could wait a little longer, as he was too excited to see what the cave looked like and wanted to explore. As Zeditha said, maybe he could find something edible in it. Mihari hoped he wouldn't have to hunt anything, but if he had to, he must.

Overall, the idea of staying in the cave seemed like a good idea. He also was excited at the thought of dragons, hopefully friendly. Mihari looked at Zeditha again. She didn't look like the most friendly dragon, but he didn't feel like refusing an offer like this. Mihari looked at the dragons next to them. He knew their names as Raven and Rimaline, from their replies to Zeditha. There didn't seem like any other dragons around, so maybe he go with him. He wasn't sure what to expect up there, and the beacon could attract unwanted visitors. Before he would ask though, he would wait to see if they replied to Zeditha. Mihari patiently waited.

((Of course, he doesn't have to go with them if you don't want to.))

Edited by ressamp

Rimaline breathed a sigh of relief when the Nhiostrife, Zeditha, invited them to stay in the cave (even though the invitation was a quite cold one). Now, she, Raven, and the guardian hatchling whose name was Mihari had at least a chance of survival, now.

One lesson that Rimaline had learned early on was that working together was the best way to survive and thrive. However, this did contradict a newer belief of hers, that you must always be wary of other creatures in case they meant to hurt you. She shook her feathered head to clear out these distracting thoughts.

Along with relief, though, Rimaline also felt another emotion - determination. She wanted to prove to Zeditha that she could pull her own weight in a group - no, not just her own weight, but other dragon's weight, too. Rimaline took Zeditha's tone almost as a challenge; a challenge to prove her own worth.

It was this reasoning that led Rimaline to speak yet again.

"Thank you for the invitation, Zeditha," Rimaline squeaked. She cleared her throat and continued. "I think that we all would love to stay in the cave. Don't worry - we may just be hatchlings, but I think that we all are able to take care of ourselves. We won't get in your way. I only eat herbs and plants, and my parents taught me -" She stumbled on her words. Raven looked at her in concern. "Never mind the details. I just know how to gather herbs."

Rimaline was partly proud of herself, but she was also frightened. What would Zeditha think of her? Did she just make herself more annoying?

((I think Rimaline's character is going in a different direction than I originally meant for her to go, but that's okay. I think I'll just let her develop instead of trying to make her fit my previous ideas.))

Raven watched the Nhiostrife with starstruck eyes. She was the first adult that Raven had ever met, aside from her parents, and there was something commanding about her that she couldn't help but admire. When she mentioned that she had started the beam of light, she instantly became the Black hatchling's idol. Raven had been dying for someone to teach her magic, and she was sure she had found her mentor in Zeditha. She was eager to please and especially to make a good impression on the Nhiostrife.

She frantically searched for the right words to greet her, suddenly very self-conscious.

Rimaline spoke up before she did, again shocking her. She had had the impression that the white hatchling was remarkably shy, but as she watched her stare determinedly at Zeditha and speak, she wondered if she had been wrong. When Rimaline began to talk about her parents, she stumbled, her voice breaking. Raven shot her a look, green eyes filled with concern. She let her finish her train of thought before she broke in.

"We'd love it we could stay!" she said brightly, shooting a look at the Guardian. Maraca? Marika? Mikari! That's it! He'd been pretty quiet, and looked rather pensive. Raven figured that he would want to stay.

"We'll definitely pull our weight in work! I'm not sure what you want us to do, but my parents taught me how to hunt small animals and insects. I could also use magic, if I were taught," she said, thinking that she'd been pretty subtle.

((This week and the next is going to be hectic, so it might take me a couple days to post.))

((And I shall now try to describe an egg hatching. Damn it, I know I'm gonna fail..))

Galletian was about to respond when he was cut short. He didn't notice it at first but soon the egg's hatching was obvious. He took off the pack and guarded it closely. He sighed as the familiar stress took over the back of his mind. A whole new being to guard- this one livelier and needs to eat/drink, and is alive... No, I won't let this happen again, Galletian thought to himself as he tried to control his mind. As the egg was hatching he fought a mental battle, but the others could not see his struggles. He sighed silently in relief as it subsided, but it was still there. You have to keep control, for all of their sake. Then suddenly, the pain and worry disappeared as if it was never there and he was losing it. He flopped down next to the egg, not showing his exhaustion, as his powers finally relented and the egg split open. He smiled at the newborn female. "Hello, I'm your brother Galletian. Your name is Enzy."

((Well, wasn't as bad as I predicted.))

Edited by MyaMouse

Mihari didn't have to wait very long. Soon, Rimaline broke the silence, followed by Raven shortly after. As Raven was speaking, Mihari noticed her glance at him briefly, then continued speaking. They all seemed to like the idea of Zeditha letting them stay. Silence had again fell for a few short moments, giving them time to think again. When Mihari decided it was his turn to speak again, he realized he hadn't said much before, and hadn't even thanked Zeditha for her generous offer. After all, she wasn't exactly pleased to see three small hatchings. A small nod just didn't seem like enough. Before he asked the hatchlings of his offer to follow them, he turned to Zeditha again.

"Thank you Zeditha," Mihari spoke. "Even though I may seem like a small and weak hatchling, I'll do my best to help with anything." "I am used to gathering food, so I don't see that as an issue." He didn't see much on the rocky terrain, but who knows what could be in the cave?

"Since I am a Guardian hatchling, I thought I would help by guarding the group," Mihari concluded. He knew it would be a difficult task, even dangerous. However, Mihari knew he was a Guardian dragon. Even if he failed before, he would prove he would be a worthy guard. "Also, would it be okay if I go with you?" Mihari asked Raven and Rimaline. He didn't know if they would accept, but he didn't have anyone else to go with.

((Again, he doesn't have to. Gah, the text looks like so much more when compressed in the box.))

Edited by ressamp

It's alright Rimaline. I'll ask nothing of you for today. -Zeditha shook her head. Indeed, they've not even all gathered yet. One could not contribute to a group that has yet to fully form. Right now, other matters needed attention. Buuut Zeditha still had a faint idea of what use herbalists can be. She pushed the thought aside for now and looked at Raven.

You'll learn. I promise. -she stated simply. Blacks were decent spellcasters, this was true, and if Raven wanted to excel in spellcraft, she would indeed need a tutor. Though, Zeditha counted herself as the last candidate for that. Her usage of fire was primarily impulse-based. She knew some techniques, yes. The beacon needed a certain amount of know-how, indeed... but she was no magi. She only performed, she didn't teach. Perhaps there was an arrangement there to be made with Irah's father later on.

I'm waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. Go ahead and get settled. Once we've all gathered, we'll discuss more lasting arrangements to other things like duties, tutorage and other details. Before you go in, a word of caution. As I mentioned, the lower levels are still infested with vermin, possibly dangerous ones. You'd all do yourselves a favour to stay on the cleared topmost tier. -she wished she could put more emphasis on her warning, but for the time settled for hoping they'd listen.

Zeditha was no parent, nor guardian, and was not willing to become one. She didn't want to assume any responsibility for the hatchlings' well-being, nor did she think herself capable of doing so. And she remembered her own adventurous and reckless compulsive nature at that age well enough to concern her. No no no, this wouldn't do. She couldn't trust them not to get into trouble. Perhaps...

Remembering Mihari's offer, she figured out a reasonable setup, for the time being. Mihari, you'd be doing us a service. I know guardians, they are among the most responsible. So, you keep this lot from getting in trouble, and I'll get the group some food. -she stated, hopeful that the guardian would live up to his nature. If anything, at least he looked like the eldest of the bunch.

If no one has any objections, it's all settled. Irah, do you mind staying with these three? Keep an eye out on the path for me, I'll be back soon. Your father should also be on his way already. Unless he's completely blind... or something worse. -she held back that last bit, leaving it to only echo within her own mind.

((Sorry if I was holding you up. I was waiting for a response from all 3. ^^ ))

Edited by Brotato

Quorran took a few steps back as the egg in front of him began to move. A large jagged crack appeared, then a few smaller cracks, and soon the shell split open to reveal a type of dragon that Quorran had never seen before. "What is it?" he asked, slightly repulsed but still intrigued.

Artemis smiled once Enzy came out of her shell. "Congrats, it's a female." she announced confidently before stepping away so her and Galletian could meet each other without distraction. "It's a Tea dragon." she replied, "I've never seen one until now but I've been told what to look for."

"It's very pink and....fleshy." remarked Quorran.

Artemis shot him an annoyed look before turning her attention back to the new hatchling.

Galletian sent Quorran a look that basically said 'Shut up,' and shook his head. The headache still remained, but at least he didn't pass out. He looked at his sister with an intrigued look. He had never seen a baby Tea either, even though he had seen 2 full-growns. He smiled at her, and tried to be as kind as possible without showing how he had almost lost it.

Enzy opened her eyes for the first time. She couldn't talk much, after all she had just hatched. But she heard a bright dragon say that he was her 'brother,' whatever that meant, and that her name was 'Enzy.' What was a 'brother?' What was a 'Hello?' She did not understand anything, especially what the other colorful dragon said, except her name. He seemed... Mean. Unwelcoming. She inched out of her shell and closer to the bright orange one, whom she felt safe with. Then she noticed another that she immediately liked. She smiled at this dragon.

((It's so hard to describe for a baby...

Hey, new record! 1 day wait for a responding post!))

Edited by MyaMouse

Quorran just shrugged and began grooming himself like he always did.

"Well that was an interesting series of events." said Artemis, sounding exhausted. "We could find a shady spot to rest for a bit and maybe find something to eat for your sister. Or we could try and catch up to Crusher, it's really up to you Galletian."

Quorran's quick solution was to pick up the carrion he offered to Crusher and bring it over. "Maybe she could eat this." he offered even though it was clearly beginning to rot and looked sick-inducing.

~~~

"Okay, will do." replied Irah before turning to the three hatchlings and putting on a nervous smile. She was excited that they were potentially her new playmates but she also wasn't sure about being left alone with no adults around, especially in unfamiliar territory. She thought the reasonable thing to do was get Sky Shiner to join them since he was the oldest. "Well as you heard, my name's Irah and my friend is back at the cave; his name is Sky Shiner but he prefers if you call him Sky for short. We should probably go and warn him about the vermin, he's the type who wanders when he's alone."

((Quorran, you idiot. xd.png @Brotato I thought Mihari was the youngest, no?))

Edited by Booo

((Quorran, you idiot. xd.png @Brotato I thought Mihari was the youngest, no?))

((Duuuurgh, my mistake. When I saw "Almost matured hatchling" I thought an adolescent hatchling. Like, almost adult. Rimaline nd Raven have Hatchling and Young Hatchling in their sheets, and I couldn't find Irah's sheet, but I figured since she had only recently gotten her wings, well... you can probably tell whence the confusion originated. I'll edit if you want. Wouldn't change anything anyway, Zedtha would have asked Mihari that even if he was the youngest.))

Edited by Brotato

At first, Mihari didn't notice the Copper hatchling that was with Zeditha. Mihari was just walking over to the hatchlings before Zediha had landed. As he was talking to Zeditha, he noticed an annoying light from the beacon shining in his eyes. Mihari was a little confused by this, due to the beacon's light being emitted in the opposite direction from where he was standing, but didn't worry too much about it. When he was done, the annoying glow persisted to bother him, so Mihari looked toward the direction of Irah. It took him a moment to realize the glow of the light was shining off Irah's scales, and then realized there was yet another hatchling with them. Now that Mihari noticed Irah was there, he wandered who she was. Fortunately, Mihari didn't have to wait long before Zeditha answered Mihari's previous request.

Mihari wasn't sure if Zeditha would accept or not, as he was only a hatchling she just met. After Zeditha was finished talking to him, she turned to the Copper, and told her to go with them, calling her Irah. Irah then turned to the hatchlings. She looked nervous, as if she didn't like being alone. While she spoke, she mentioned that another dragon, Sky Shiner was around. After Irah was done, Mihari wanted to go to the cave immediately. Though he never had met Sky yet, he didn't want to have a hatchling alone in a cave like that, especially if he wanders. Mihari wasn't sure of the age of Sky Shiner, so he could be just hatched, or an adult for all he knows. Still, Mihari wanted to reach the cave as soon as possible.

Before he wanted to go, Mihari wanted to know what to expect. "What exactly is the cave like?" Mihari asked. "What should we expect?"

((Sorry for any confusion about his age. Almost matured hatchling would mean he isn't a matured hatchling with wings yet, but close.))

(*Snrk!*)

Galletian

Galletian felt bile rise up in his throat at the sight of the rotting bird. "They...I used to...Uh, yeah...I'm pretty sure that Teas only eat butterflies." His mind was on the edge of shutting off. He shook his head quickly, dispelling his headache briefly. He looked down to Enzy, whom was smiling up at Artemis. He smiled weakly, the strain on his body for getting out of that hole and fighting his powers catching up to him, finally. Enzy seemed to like Artemis. Then his head started to hurt again. "Uuuurrrgh.... My head hurts. These stupid powers... Ugh. Lets...Can I...I need to...I'm fine, but I have to-"

Thunk, ta-tunk. He fell down, collapsed, and passed out.

Enzy

Enzy's quiet, happy smile dissipated very quickly as the heartbeat next to her slowed and shut off almost completely. Her little pink eyes widened as she climbed over Galletian's sleeping body. She lay down on his chest and listened to his heartbeat. It was slow but steady. "He.. F-Fine?" She really didn't know what that meant but it sounded right for what she was trying to say. She curled up on his chest and listened, closely...

She could hear things. Things that were not being said aloud. Things that only Galletian could hear. She was hearing his thoughts, just bits and pieces, and she barely understood any of it. But she listened to his mind nevertheless. She could hear his voice in her head, and it suddenly became clear what he was saying. She knew what he was trying to say, even though she didn't know the words' meanings or what it meant in that certain string. But she knew what her brother meant. And she had heard his thoughts before, when she was pressing against the shell of her tiny egg and so was he. It was nothing new.

Oh, not-

Ain...-

Wish tha-

Ever-

Ened Aga-

Ve to wak-

Ugh...

No, no... I'm stu-

Let m-

Ou-

Y own mi-

((Oh god, someone reply so I can end this cliffhanger!))

user posted image

Sky Shiner had been slithering on for some time now and as to how far into the cave system he was in, he had no clue. All he knew was that he hadn't seen any more of the pests Zeditha had exterminated (or cleared out, in the bats' case) earlier so that was a good sign. It meant that he wasn't too far in that he was going to reach the lower uncleared levels, though the passage had been sloping downwards with several curves. He was in a mountain, after all; the cave system couldn't possibly just lead straight down. ...Or it could, as he found out when he nearly fell into a hole in the ground when he wasn't careful enough. Peering into it, he saw that it dropped down into another passage, a much darker one, but when he dipped a bright wing into it, he heard a few startled high-pitched squeaks and something skittering about. Sky hurriedly moved on, not particularly eager to explore the lower levels just yet.

The gem cave was really quite pretty. He'd never thought that something like it might actually have existed. Every now and then, Sky would stop and admire the different coloured gems that stuck out of the wall naturally, glowing softly in the dark. With them, the cave was never quite truly in darkness and that was a comforting thought.

<OOC: Yay, filler~ Though, it usually feels like filler whenever I role play Sky. tongue.gif>

Edited by Dream_Dragon

((Sorry Messanger, but I gotta de-limbo myself at this point. dry.gif

If you come back and decide to post, you can assume Torque ran off too quickly for your toons to follow.))

Hunger sated, Torque felt the familiar feeling of revitalization that his strict eating habits had formed on.

He had a set goal, and though he knew climbing up into potentially chilling thin air mountainous regions would be uncomfortable, he knew there was strength in numbers, or a potential threat that needs elimination up there.

Thankfully, the whiptail didn't encounter much trouble on his ascent, seeing as he was following the easiest and least steep path he could. It was as if intentionally woven into the side of the mountain itself, but by what? It didn't really matter. He was just glad it was there.

At his pace, Torque needed no more then what felt like mere minutes to run up. He dashed and weaved through the corners and up the trail until he reached the last of the turns, and was faced with a group of dragons not five meters distance. Gritting his teeth, he dug his hind legs into the ground and grinded to a halt, and almost cartoonishly leaving four meter long brakemark-like lines where his feet had struggled to get him from his running speed, to a full halt.

He ended up almost headbutting Zeditha, mere centimeters from her face.

=======================================

The Nhiostrife Wyvern didn't flinch, she squinted heavily at this newcomer and bared her teeth, before forcefully shoving him away from herself and knocking him down in the process. She'd assumed Torque wasn't as light as he was, but he was.

My personal space. Never violate it. This is the only warning you'll get. -she snarled, teeth still bared.

=======================================

Getting up slowly, Torque took a step back and cleared his throat.

Sorry, I, I'm sorry. It's just, I couldn't see you here. Not fond of rocks either... -he said innocently, trying to appear non-threatening, and gestured at the marks he'd left in the hard stone path. And it was true, were it dirt, he'd have stopped immediately.

I uhm, maybe we got off on the wrong claw. -he said nervously. Whoever this Wyvern was, it was obvious he'd made a bad first impression, and if it's one thing Torque didn't want, it was a fight to break out. Especially with the four hatchlings around.

========================================

Maybe. But then let's clear some things up right away. -Zeditha answered flatly, exhaled a bit of smoke and went on...

Who are you, are you alone, and why have you come?

========================================

Well, that. -Torque pointed at the still burning beacon- Also, I'm on my own, and my name is Torque. I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, but I don't think you'd agree. -he remarked playfully. So, what is it? The light, why is it here? What caused it?

((Feel free to cut in, anyone. ^^))

Edited by Brotato

"Of course you can come with us!" Raven exclaimed, excited at the prospect of yet another new friend. She hesitated a little as she wondered how Rimaline would react to her inviting another hatchling to join them. She would be okay with it, wouldn't she? She took it upon herself to make sure the two got along.

The Nhiostrife interrupted her thoughts, promising Raven that she would learn magic and sending them towards the cave.

"Thanks Zeditha!" she said, brightly. She hadn't said she would teach her, but she didn't deny Raven either. She couldn't keep the grin off her face at the thought of learning magic.

When she assigned the Guardian to guard them, Raven wanted to smack herself in the face. Mihari! That's his name! She wiggled awkwardly, glad that she had learned his actual name before calling him Mikari to his face.

She blinked in surprise as Zeditha turned to address not one of them, but the Copper hatchling sitting on her back. She felt rather guilty that she hadn't noticed her, especially she was in clear view. I guess we have another companion!

"Hey," she greeted both the Copper and Mihari, "It's nice to meet you!"

She opened her mouth to add more, but was distracted by a new dragon, a Whiptail, who skidded to a halt dangerously close to Zeditha's face. Her jaw dropped in awe as the Nhiostrife nimbly knocked the other dragon to the ground. I want to learn how to do that!

((my edit is awful! hopefully when i have time i can go back and flesh it out))

Edited by Frostee

((Trying a new color. Hopefully it's easier to read.))

"It's nice to meet you too!" Mihari responded, turning back to Raven. She was speaking to both Mihari and Irah. Mihari shifted his position slightly so the light reflecting off Irah wouldn't be hitting him. He looked at Raven again, wondering if she too had just noticed Irah. Though he wanted to venture to the cave immediately, he wanted to wait until everyone else was ready. He still couldn't stop imagining what it would be like, or who this Sky Shiner hatchling was anyway. He turned back to Irah. He had just asked her a question, and was waiting for her to think of a response. He had more questions, but he decided to wait until later. For a moment his thoughts about the cave were soon interrupted as he heard what sounded like a large adult dragon speed up the slope. Mihari looked down a path that he regretfully had not noticed before, and saw a Whiptail turn around a corner toward them. Mihari immediately jumped aside, though it looked like the Whiptail's path headed straight for Zeditha. Mihari saw as they tried to stop their forward motion by digging his legs into the ground. It didn't seem to work that well.

Luckily, he ended up coming to a halt just as he was about to crash into Zeditha, who didn't seem very pleased with that. After the Whiptail apologized to a snarling Zeditha, he introduced himself as Torque, who seemed to have also come towards the beacon. At least it worked. "Well, you can answer me on the way," Mihari said to Irah, not wanting to get involved in anything else. Still, he was curious about Torque.