rainface

Hatchlings

user posted image

Sky Shiner blinked at Irah as she suddenly rushed to him, telling him excitedly about her newly-grown wings. For a moment, he contemplated not responding because...well, just because. He wasn't really in the mood, after all. However, seeing that excited expression on her face just wouldn't let him do such a thing.

"Yes, Irah, I see them," he said calmly in response. Then, he broke into a rare smile and patted her lightly on the head with a brightly coloured wing (in which he furtively did his best to ignore its reddish tinge).

"Sure, we could go flying someday," he agreed, withdrawing his wing as he did so.

<OOC: I can't remember the last time Sky actually smiled. Like, really really smiled. Poor fella...>

Edited by Dream_Dragon

(I would go but I'm currently waiting on Artemis and Maple to lead Galletian somewhere. And hopefully they find a stream or something so they can drag Sky to it...)

Cree had almost caught up with the sera, when they both heard an awful noise. They looked down in time to see a great many rocks rolling down the mountain, and the whiptail who had caused it, screaming louder than Float believed possible. He wondered what had happened. It sounded like the dragon was scared, but of what? Float went over to the whiptail. Cree, of course, got there quicker and immediately started introduced them. "Hello, I'm Cree, and this is Float. Who are you? What happened?"

"Are you OK?" asked the more practical Float.

Okay? -he asked himself. were he okay, he'd feel it. But one thing stood out, and that was a distinct and familiar numbness in his left shoulder, indicating a fracture and dislocation.

Give me a moment. -he said, and straightened out his back, rolling his head a bit, producing a series of audible cracks and pops. The look on his face spoke of how unpleasant doing that was for him, but it was necessary, nevertheless.

There... much better. -he breathed a deep breath of relief as the final pop sounded off. My name is Torque. I accidentally set off a landslide, and luckily, I haven't broken anything. Back included, it's fine. So yeah, I'm alright now.

Well... -he started, glancing between the strangers- Sorry or the commotion. I'm not really built for this altitude. Cree, Float, maybe you know a fast way down from this rock? I really, really don't want to be here any more.

Edited by Brotato

(Sorry I haven't been on lately. Busy with stuff, and also got sidetracked with Clandestine Rhymes.) I'll post later on.)

Artemis caught up to Crusher before continuing. "Alright, if you want to stick with us there's a few things you should know. I'm the healer and the Magi in front of us is the one in charge."

Crusher turned his head to address himself. "That's right, I go by Crusher but don't be alarmed. You've probably heard of the troublemaker who goes by the same name. I can assure you I don't plan on doing anything of the sort, my only goal is to guard over this land and restore its balance."

~~~

Irah smiled as well but it was quickly replaced with a look of concern. She folded back her wings and assessed the red patches. "I hope that's not your own blood. Did something happen?" she asked half-expecting him to tell her to mind her own business.

<OOC: Oops...forgot to reply. happy.gif >

user posted image

Sky Shiner started at her question, reflexively reaching with his other wing to touch the wing that he'd just withdrawn from her. No, she couldn't have! She couldn't have seen him in his breakdown. He forced himself to calm down, his widening eyes quickly shutting themselves momentarily. Of course she couldn't have. If she had seen him, she would not have chosen to ask such a question and instead would have asked a more straightforward question.

"...It's nothing. I just made a small mistake and one of my kills got a little more messier than usual," he replied, brushing off her concern flippantly. It was not far from the truth, after all. "And yeah, none of this is my blood, so don't worry." At his last statement, his voice drifted off to a murmur as his mind desperately searched for another topic to...talk about. Funny. Why had this conversation even started in the first place?

Oh right. The blood.

"We're moving soon, aren't we?" Sky asked calmly, mentally shaking off anymore disturbing thoughts. He did not want to dwell over the private events that had taken place in the forest earlier.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Galletian nodded after a bit of thinking. He was getting attached to them, they helped him after all. But he didn't know all that much, and his first priority was taking care of the egg, and then his "teammates" or whatever he called them. "Well, thanks for telling me your name. Um, who else is here?" he asked. He looked around at his surroundings. There was a clearing surrounded by trees, and some tall grass that should be covering the cave, pulled aside. There also was a burnt tree and some charred grass over on the west side, but he decided to ignore that. He flicked his tail.

(I wanna bug Zeditha because she hasn't come in since Galletian crashed)

Edited by MyaMouse

"I think this way is probably the shortest." said Float, pointing the way they came. What do you think Cree?" "Probably, although maybe if had gotten through those thorny bushes we could have found a quicker way." "Not likely." Then, to the whiptail: "We found a shorter route, but the bushes were too dense, and they looked like there might be vine dragons as well, which would probably dislike our intrusion. So, I guess this way." "Well OK, if you insist..." Cree reluctantly acknowledged the fact that he would not convince Float to go on this adventure. Oh, well, he thought, perhaps the whiptail will know something interesting. Suddenly he had an idea. "Have you heard of the evil vampire?" he asked the dragon. Float watched Torque anxiously. In his opinion you shouldn't ask strangers questions like that, and he was worried how the whiptail would react.

((Changing his color to maroon, because writing long posts of mostly conversational text in orange is giving me eye strain. Gonna edit the last post I made with him to reflect the change as well.))

I've heard of and seen vampires, I've heard of and seen evil vampires, but I don't think I've ever heard of the evil vampire, let alone seen him for myself. -he shrugged. After all, he wasn't a local.

Vampires are nasty business. From where me and my lot traveled, we've had to deal with them on odd occasion. They'd come in the coldest and darkest of nights, and try to abduct our hatchlings for, well, obvious reasons. Worse yet, the eggs. -he shook his head and sighed.

Long time ago, me and my folks were out on a leisurely nighttime stroll. Just a leg stretch before the entire group set off south the next day, and on our way back, we saw one. -his tone of voice dropped a bit as he went on, and the memories came right back out from that little box he'd put them away in.

Big, spiky, cut up bloke. Taller and wider then my Ma and Da at the time. An he had this egg, right? One of ours. Before I knew what was going on, Da pushed me behind himself and yelled at me to bolt it and hide. Well, I did. -he paused and scratched himself behind the ear for a moment, as if trying to remember something.

I think... I think it was magical. I'm not sure, since I'm no mage, myself, but I sort of felt it doing something terrible. Something terrible and unnatural. Anyway, I was tiny then, you see, so I found this old den, I'm not sure what it belonged to at the time. A fox, or a wolf or something. I stood there, waited for what felt like forever, all while listening in on the orchestra of death in the distance. And, well... when someone came to get me, it was Da. He'd tracked me down, and I was really happy to see him, but not like what I saw him like. -he paused for a moment to gesture on himself the following image.

Several gashes through here and here. Puncture wounds on the neck, here, and one on the arm, here. A missing finger, on his right paw right here, this one. And worst yet, one eye all bloodied up. Shize... he might as well have lost it, when it healed, it was all white and it didn't work any more... -he shook his head with disapproval, before going on.

And despite all that, he went to help mum find me and make sure I was okay. -he spoke, in a moment of reverence.

When we got back, I got the whole story. Mum was a lot better off, thankfully. That monster didn't have a go at her as much as he did at Da. The part that worried me was that my folks weren't victorious. They were saved from that... thing. Someone heard all the commotion, all the way back at our clan's temporary camp, and came to help them. The thing was killed, but the egg it'd taken was crushed in the fight. I never got a chance to have a good look at the body.

And, well, that's pretty much it with vampire dragons and myself. Long story short, Do Not Want.

But, I'm guessing you lot have a story to tell about this urm, particular monster you asked me about. I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Brotato

Irah could tell something was wrong but she didn't want to question him further, fearing that she might upset him. "Okay, that's good." she said, smiling again. "We're actually leaving now; father said we have to move quickly." Irah heard a noise and turned to see Zeditha rise from the cave followed by Scratch and Quorran; perfect timing! Having spent the entire morning in there, Zeditha had to squint until her eyes adjusted to the sunlight. "Alright, let's get going. We'll have to fly close to the trees if you want to avoid being spotted."

Quorran seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing. He held a small bone with his tail which he was using to pick between his teeth. "Uh...where to exactly?" he asked, trying to dislodge something left over from his meal.

((Sorry if this sounds boring but I feel that I've made everyone wait long enough.))

((From what I've seen Zeditha is the all show and no go brooding antagonist wannabe kind of character. I'll have to change that a little. It'll take a few posts, but for the sake of not making her a social piranha, I'll have to reshape her personality a bit. Also, she's taking some other characters to a "gem cave" correct? Just a cave full of gems? Because if it's a migratory kind of thing, then I have an idea.

Gonna use Red for her dialogue. I usually use Red for the more brutish and/or sinister characters I play. Run me by who's following her one more time, please? And are there any terrain restrictions or can I just make it up as I go along? I already have a clue where to put their destination on the map, and big plans for it, to set the RP in order. All this chaos is killing people's creativity, I think.))

With a subtle smile, the wyvern paused for a moment, before answering the question.

The gem cave, ofcourse. It's as good a place as any to go, and what's more, I imagine we'd be quite comfortable there. -she stated plainly, without averting her gaze from the seemingly endless expanses of the horizon.

And if I know our little pink friends well enough, they'll be drawn to the area in small numbers. Easily picked off and often defenseless. Lumber, food, treasure. The poor adventurous little things, how could they resist? And where there are humans... -she grinned wolfishly- There's a reliable supply of food.

That said, she walked out of the cave and stretched out, popping a few joints, then unfolded her wings as widely as they could stretch, before re-folding them. She felt like she'd been asleep for an eternity, and was itching to get things done. If memory served well, that "little cave" of gems she'd mentioned would serve a purpose, greater then what she'd even conceived in the first place. And with several other dragons already willingly following her, she knew she could start something great for herself.

The wyvern never knew what it was like to have a group to rely on, heck, she never knew what it was like to be part of a family. But no matter what may come, what sinister or devious endeavors she might undertake, she knew it would be far better off doing so with someone watching her back. Be they lackeys or friends, only time would tell.

Turning around and scanning the group behind herself, she reared up and spoke firmly:

So, let's stop wasting time and get on with it. We're not getting any younger! -she announced loudly.

Edited by Brotato

((sorry for keeping you waiting so long, I'm a bit busy right now. I should be able to post later today.))

((Edit: got a post up!))

"

Well we don't really know much... Just some rumours..." Float was a little hesitant. He felt sorry for the poor whiptail, and didn't want to sadden him. Cree, on the other hand, was eager to do or talk about something interesting. "They say there's a vampire, Evil Crusher I think, or some other nasty name like that. Apparently he's really powerful, like a guardian of nature, though I doubt that's true. Anyway, this vampire, he's going around destroying places and terrorising dragons. We were hoping you'd know something that could maybe help us stop him. It makes me angry to think that one dragon can be causing so much grief. And-"

Wait, wait, wait. Float interrupted, turning to Cree. What do you mean, help us stop him? Didn't we agree that adults are more suited? Such a thing would be too dangerous for just some hatchlings, even if we did manage to get more information. "But Float... can't be do anything ourselves? Surely we are capable of not getting caught?" Float sighed. It still annoyed him how Cree couldn't understand when things were too dangerous. Admittedly, Float had participated in some of Cree's escapades, but taking on an adult vampire was really to much. Why couldn't his friend be reasonable for once? Instead of arguing his point further, he turned to Troque. "That's pretty much it I guess." Like I said, nothing more substantial than rumours."

Edited by MessengerDragon

Evil, -Torque blinked and held back his urge to laugh out loud- ...Crusher. Wow. -he coughed and pretended to clear his throat to keep a straight face.

That's uh, quite the stage name. -he stated, listing in his head similarly corny variations on it. Death Guy, Big Bad Kill Man, Mister Murder and so on... At this point, he was hesitant to believe Float and Cree about this evildoer, thinking that it may as well be just a flight of fancy. The whimsical make-believe games garnered by innocence and naivete. But then, how could he be sure? He couldn't. Skepticism would have to be something he put aside for a moment, seeing as it was that very skepticism that had landed his father blind in one eye, many years ago.

You should listen to your friend. -he told Cree. I used to be very adventurous as a hatchling too, and while it was a lot of fun almost getting myself killed, well. Need I say more? -he jested.

Pausing for a moment, he reared up and took a nice long sniff. Something was up.

You guys smell that?

((I'll leave Messanger to decide what they encounter, if anything. tongue.gif))

Crusher thought for a moment. Scratch and Zeditha had just joined them recently so he barely had time to memorize their names. "Well there's my daughter Irah, Artemis you met, Scratch, and what's her name.....Zeditha. We just met last night and she offered her cave as refuge which is where we're headed now." A worrying thought sprang to mind, where was Irah? She was quite eager to visit the mountains so perhaps she hitched a ride with Zeditha, he hoped; he didn't want to have to turn back. Those who flew would make it there in no time but traveling by foot could take one or two days depending how fast they headed north.

Quinn had coiled into a ball when the tree fell and was just beginning to survey her surroundings. With one eye open she noticed the foliage get denser as they left the clearing. Rotting leaves covered the ground as well as various ferns, grasses, and the occasional mushroom. She had never seen so much green and wanted nothing more than to be surrounded by the white stuff she was used to.

~~~

"Wait!" shouted Irah, flapping her tiny wings. "I can't fly yet, remember!?" She was clearly the most ambitious of the bunch unlike Scratch who impassively followed Crusher and Quorran was still cleaning his teeth. "Um...give me a minute." he mumbled.

Edited by Booo

((Edited previous post for Zeditha a little bit.))

I remember. I was primarily talking to him. -she gestured at Quorran, who looked like something out of a Warner Brothers animated sketch with that bone, picking who knew what from between his teeth. Zeditha wanted to say that to his face, but in all honesty she found it slightly amusing. And besides, starting an argument was against her interests.

Take your time. We wouldn't want you to get bad breath and smell up the whole cave to high heaven, now would we? -she jested and rolled her eyes, before looking back at Irah.

You'll be able to fly soon enough. But until then, we'll help you. Or at least I'll try to. -she stated calmly, trying to recall when it was that she herself had taken her first flying leap skywards. It seemed like such a foggy, blurry and distant memory, yet it wasn't supposed to be.

((Lacking serious amounts of info, but I managed to dig up the sheets. When I read Hatchling I figured she was able to fly. So from what I saw in the sheets. Irah is a winged but still flightless copper dragon hatchling. Scartch is an albino hatchling, no info on whether he can fly. Crusher is a vampire adult (not sure if he's even with the group at the moment. Much confuse, very disorient, wow.) and Quoran is a matured bright-breasted Wyvern hatchling, still no info on whether or not he can fly. Fill in the blanks for me, please. sad.gif ))

Edited by Brotato

"What smell?" asked Float, just as Cree was about to make a comment. He liked adventures and wasn't going to stop just because of danger. But at this they both smelled the air. "I don't smell anything... wait, is that smoke?" "I think it might be." They tried to determine which direction it was coming form. The wind kept changing direction and it was hard to tell. "Which direction is it coming from?" Cree asked Torque. Maybe the whiptail could work it out?

((...aaand it's over to you again!))

((I can think of a few ways to make this lead up to meeting with the other group.

Buuuuuut... it, might be a little gruesome. Still, it's a good development opportunity.))

Aye, and something else. It's coming from uhh... -Torque squinted. It was indeed hard to pinpoint the exact location of the odor's origins. After a bit of pacing around with his nose help up high, he was left stumped trying to find it by smell alone, but after having a good look around, he noticed where it was coming from. Down below, a moderate distance away from them, the telltale smoke of a campfire was clearly visible. It was a steep descent, and it lead to a small valley in the mountains, right on the edge of with, was a human camp. It consisted of an expertly built tent, large stone campfire which was lit ablaze, a wooden weapons rack, which was currently empty and a large cauldron of sorts. Something indiscernible was roasting slowly over the fire. It was giving off a very faint odor that struck Torque as peculiar, and a little bit harrowing.

That smell is making me cringe for some reason. -he commented as he squinted heavily, trying to make out more details about the camp. Any sensible dragon would turn on the spot and leave the potentially dangerous inhabitants of that area to their own, but Torque was neither patient, nor sensible.

I think it's humans, armed ones. I'll go check it out. -he said, before darting off, stepping silently, but swiftly, towards the camp.

Edited by Brotato

Float and Cree watched Torque as he tried to locate the smell. Then Torque looked around, and all three of them saw the campfire in the distance. Float was surprised when the whiptail suggested to check it out, after having just a minute ago telling Cree to be more careful. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" he asked. But Torque was already half-way to the camp. "Wait for me!" Cree shouted quietly, and rushed after him. Float hesitated, then followed. He hoped the humans were the ones who were kind to dragons, but he had no way of knowing, so hopefully the others would stay out of sight. The smell was making him nervous for some reason.

((have you any plans for what exactly the 'something else' in the smell is?))

Edited by MessengerDragon

(( thumbs_up.png I do. I'm bringing back an old nemesis from a RP I was once in that spanned over 10000 pages. It died out at 12kish, before the grand finale. ;( ))

Creeping quietly and at a brisk pace, Torque crept into the light of the fireplace, his attention drawn to the large tent. If there was anything in there, he wanted to catch it by surprise. Bringing his head to the side of it, he held his breath and waited for a sound. Nothing... He crept quietly around towards the front opening, and delicately peeked his head inside, only so much as to see. Blinking as his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he beheld...

...nothing. There was no one inside, just three bedrolls, some baggage and a few old books. Whoever these humans were, they traveled light. Looks like the owners were out at the time. It was okay for his new acquaintances to come, he figured, no cause for alarm for now. A little bit calmer, now that he knew they were alone in the encampment, he examined the weapons rack. It was made of sturdy wood and looked like it was designed to hold various long and pointy objects. Beside it was a small box filled with vials and flasks of all sorts. Most of them were empty, but they all had something in common. An omega symbol (Ω), something Torque had never seen before. Come to think of it, he was sure he'd spotted it on the covers of those books too.

The winds changed direction just them, blowing some of the smoke, and the smell right at him, causing him to gag. He recognized it now. It was the same disgusting stench of dried blood he'd had the displeasure of remembering from his childhood of fending off vampire dragons from stealing his clan's eggs. Mortified, he examined the fire more closely.

There, skewered on a steel rod, cooking in the low flames, was a pygmy dragon. It looked like it'd been only recently killed and left to cook while the abominations responsible for this had stepped out, but the fire had already done it's thing and rendered it's scales charred and indistinguishable. Shutting his eyes, Torque barely manged to hold down his lunch. He'd heard that human trappers were after his kind for their horns and scales and magic, but their flesh?!

He ran back to his acquaintances and spoke: It's, guh... Not, I mean. I don't think you want to see. Just, I'll take care of it. It's not, I mean... -he lacked the words, shock, anger and confusion getting the best of him.

((Monster Spawner Inc.))

Edited by Brotato

"Oh, okay." said Irah and immediately calmed down. Zeditha seemed negotiable (unlike Quorran) which gave Irah the impression that she'd be easy to get along with. The fact that she didn't originally try to harm Sky also eased her mind. "I can trust her.....can't I?" she thought. "And she looks big enough to carry me." Irah approached her and placed her wings on her side in preparation of being hoisted up. "Can I get a lift?" she asked.

Quorran dislodged whatever it was that was stuck and discarded the bone. "Appearance is highly important and I'm a good example, but you probably know that." he said, standing tall and proud. "Now then, where is the cave located?"

Carefully lifting Irah, Zeditha gently placed her on her back between her shoulder blades. It was as good a spot as any, and it would be an easy job to carry her. That done, she gave Quorran a derisive glance, before rolling her eyes and stating simply: Probably... She had a snappy comeback, but figured it was an inopportune time to engage in such a trivial exchange of quips .

It's not far, but there is work to be done once we get there. That is, if you want to make the most of it. And the sooner we start... -she hit the ground with her front right paw for emphasis, hard enough to produce an audible thump and crack as the rocks beneath shattered.

The sooner we'll finish! I for one do not want to have to work the graveyard shift. You'll find that if neglected, the place is somewhat erm... unpleasant, in the the dark.

Though it seemed logical that the darkness was the only reason for her to not refuse to work the graveyard shift, there were actually plenty of other reasons she didn't let on about. Not yet, anyway.

It's in that direction. As I said, we fly low and quick. So why don't you grace us all by leading the way there, once everyone is fully ready to go, ofcourse. I'm sure it isn't beyond your abilities. Or were you trying to tell us that only appearance is highly important, just now? -she asked Quorran quite calmly and gestured in the direction they should fly. It was a straight shot ahead and there were to be no unexpected changes of the course, so Zeditha for one figured that it would be a piece of cake for anyone to fly there. After all, it was the kind of cave you wouldn't miss, even if you were two whims from absolutely blind.

((I'm liking the direction in which I'm taking Zeditha's character, personally. xd.png And Crusher? How will he get there? Can he get there? Is he even with them? How hurt is he? So many questions! If they do leave through your post, I'll have Zeditha follow. It's no problem at all.))

Edited by Brotato

((It's Sky, Quorran, and Irah who are with Zeditha. Everyone else is being led by Crusher; they can't fly but plan on meeting at the same location. Crusher's shoulder was badly injured, rendering him flightless.))

Quorran scoffed at her snide remark. "Of course not! But these wings will only go where they want to. That, over there..." He pointed at the mountain closest to them. "...is not somewhere I want to fly. Brrr! Too cold for me." he stated, doing a shivering motion with his wings. "The further north we go the more likely I'll turn around and leave."

Irah tried to make herself comfortable but was beginning to feel nervous now that she was on Zeditha's back. This is the first time she had ridden on someone who wasn't Crusher and she suddenly felt self-conscious of the claws on her wings which were growing longer and sharper. What if she hurt Zeditha? Would she drop her? Irah took a deep breath and tried not to think about it.

Edited by Booo

Really... -Zeditha stated plainly, scowling at the whole situation.

She was in no mood for any more delays, and the pity preferences in climate of someone were as terrible a cause for further delays as is.

Look at this one, Quorran. -Zeditha turned a bit to put Irah in plain view for him.

She's smaller and significantly more fragile then you are. -she pointed out intently, now keeping a straight face and speaking as calmly as she could- One would assume, she would be the one complaining about things like this. She has little to no choice, she's only so grown, and her hide is only so thick to give her the protection she needs. -she paused, before turning around and moving away a bit- Even if we were to climb to the highest mountain atop the northernmost points of the earth, I'd have assumed you had enough backbone to tough it out more then a hatchling could. But don't worry your sensitive lil' scales. It's not that far up, and I know how to keep it plenty warm. -she admitted, glanced back at him, rolled her eyes and proceeded further out of the cave, intent on leaving without nary more then a handful of spoken words.

Now then, when everyone is set to go, you know the direction. Me and Irah will follow once you're up in the air.

Edited by Brotato