rainface

Hatchlings

It seemed as soon as he offered them to go with them, Baltia was out the cave saying: "Try and catch me!"After she flew towards the exit, Mihari stood for a moment. Mihari was originally going to wait for Raven's response, but he was already headed for the outside himself. Making sure there were no walls to run into, he stopped just outside and looked to find Baltia. Mihari saw nothing but the other dragons, including a few he didn't recognize. One was speaking to Zeditha, who looked to be staring towards the horizon. The hatchling that was with Zeditha looked blue, but was still a little far to tell. Maybe it's a Royal Blu-

"Ow!"

Though it happened so quickly, Mihari thought he saw that the pebble that hit Sky Shiner came from the shadows. It was no mystery who it was. Baltia Mihari immediately thought. He saw that Sky Shiner turned his head to look toward his direction, but then turned to slither toward Irah. Hopefully he didn't think it was me who threw it. It didn't look like he noticed me though. Mihari wasn't standing in the most visible area; he was partially hidden in the shadows of the cave. Not nearly as hidden as Baltia though. Mihari tried to see if he could find her, but she seemed to be hidden quite well. Mihari was originally going outside to see what was going on, but it seemed to have been over by now. He wondered if he should act like nothing happened, since he didn't need to cause any trouble. Then again, with Baltia around, it seemed inevitable.

Enzy nodded, walking to where Quinn was. She ate a couple of insects, but was mostly distracted, worried about her brother. Why wasn't he waking up? He said it was just a side effect- but of what, and why? She had sooooo many questions that he apparently just couldn't answer with words she'd understand. She sighed at this thought. She wanted to know, but it would take a while.

She considered telling the other dragoness what happened last night when she was talking with him, but wasn't sure. She instead looked at Quinn, her confusion plainly visible on her face, but she didn't know that.

((I feel like I write so much more in the post thing...))

Tulvir's head came up. He looked at the Nhiostrife. "Sure! I will work! Never had a problem with it, anyway. There is a Magi inside who needs comfort? Sure, I will attempt small talk" The timid Royal Blue walked off, glad to leave the dragon to have some alone time. She needed it, after all. When he walked into the cave, he saw food, which he was tempted to take, but he couldn't. He needed to find the Magi first. After a while of wandering, he found a room with a rather sad looking Magi in it. "uh, hello? I-i am new here, and....I heard you needed comfort so...anything I can do?" Tulvir stepped in with caution. What if this guy didn't want visitors right now?

Edited by Esko_the_Wolf

Baltia giggled slightly, knowing that she had annoyed the Skywing. She spotted Mihari, and zipped throught the branches to land on his head. "Hello," she grinned, blinking her bright green eyes at the larger dragon.

Sooo good to be off of that accursed rock! -exclaimed Torque as he finally felt the warm embrace of the plains below. The skies were clean, the sun was shining, everything looked so well, he was surprised he hadn't noticed earlier today when he was out hunting for the group. On top of which, it was good for him to finally stretch out his limbs and really go for a good run.

Once off the path and away from Shatterpoint Peak, Torque grinded to a halt and took a few deep breaths to calm his racing heart. That done, he closed his eyes and reared up on his hinds, raised his nose up into the air as high as it could go and inhaled deeply. The subtle scents and aromas of the grasslands filled his nostrils and resonated within his mind, clear as the purest water from the coolest of streams.

The natural fragrance of the local flora stood out above everything else, but that was definitely not what he was looking for.

Were he hunting for food, he'd follow the scent of deer he picked up on coming from the woods nearby, but once again, that was not what he was looking for.

Exhaling slowly, he tried to focus even harder. Whatever scent that strange shivering fellow had left behind would be very faint. Another long and deep inhalation later, Torque purposefully disregarded the flora and fauna, trying to pick out only the faintest of scents. There's a den of wolves who have marked their territory some distance away from here... mmm, blueberry bushes. They smell awful when they go bad though. And those are definitely bad... And that's, I think... ugh, really? Some poor animal was skunked some six or seven clicks from here. -he thought, sifting the mesh of smells in his head. Still nothing from Quorran though.

Take three. One last deep inhalation, and a little bit of hope later, Torque caught something. It carried the telltale ting of an individual experiencing a whole lotta' stress and discomfort, also hinted of bad B.O. That's it! -he exclaimed. It was a solid match with what he remembered as far as smells go while Quorran was nearby.

After another few deep inhalations, Torque had deduced a general direction of which to head in. Lowering himself back down on all fours, he stomped on the ground thrice for good measure, and dashed off, leaving nothing but a small cloud kicked up dust and claw-marks in the soft soil below.

Quinn sat down and chose a spiky brown and yellow flower. Despite being hungry she was pretty slow at eating it, choosing to savor the taste rather than scoff it down. Quinn looked over at Enzy as she helped herself to another, wondering why the Tea dragon was just sitting there looking confused. "What's wrong? You don't like them?" she asked, inching closer.

~~~

Crusher was drifting in and out of sleep when an unfamiliar voice roused him.

"Uh, hello? I-I am new here, and....I heard you needed comfort so...anything I can do?"

The Magi's large green eyes flickered open and locked on to the Royal Blue. "Comfort? I assume Zeditha must of sent you." he said, his voice humble. "Well...I don't need much of anything right now. Not comfort anyway." Crusher lifted his head and looked around, still unfamiliar with his new place. "You did, however, wake me from a rather unpleasant dream so I guess you've already comforted me in a way. If you still insist on helping you could fetch me something from the food pile." In truth, Crusher had already eaten recently but he knew his appetite would return shortly.

((Replying to Sky soon.))

Tulvir nodded. "Something from the food pile? Sure thing!" Tulvir walked out of the room. Soon after, he returned with as much food as the Royal Blue hatchling could carry. "I can fetch you more, if you need." Tulvir looked around the room. He wondered if he should leave the Magi alone now. Maybe I should try a bit more conversation?

It is worth a shot.

Tulvir looked at the Magi. "So, uh...what happened that you are feeling sad about? I could try to help with that." Tulvir stepped back a few spaces in case he asked the wrong question and the Magi lashed out. He would need to defend himself, and he didn't know combat, so if the Magi lashed out, he would have to run. I still wonder what happened.

Enzy shook her little head. "Um." She tried to say the words but didn't know how to. "Why is brother not waking up? He said it was a side effect of something..." She turned her head away, looking at the butterfly she held in her talons, and then deciding she wasn't hungry. She sighed, pushing it back. he got up, even though she had nowhere to go. She just didn't want to sit anymore.

Edited by MyaMouse

So much distance to cover, so little time to do so... but Torque relished in such challenges. He ducked and weaved through the trees when crossing a forest, and took long, powerful, fast strides when moving freely. It was a good day to run. Not too hot, not too cold, no wind and no rain.

Despite the air rushing past his face, Torque was able to follow the barely detectable scent left behind by Quorran. The trip wasn't too bad, and to Torque, it seemed like leisurely jog. ...though in retrospect, he'd actually passed a fair distance over the short while it took him to sprint to his destination.

Nearing his goal, he started picking up multiple unmistakable scents.

Others. -he mumbled, and skidded to an unsteady halt.

Those scents belonged to other dragons, but as Torque had no clue what his target smelled like, he kept his guard up, and approached carefully.

Some twenty or so steps later, the expected picture came into view.

A collapsed dragon, and his companion. Torque arrived just in time to overhear her say something about her brother not waking up. Immediately, Torque felt like slapping his forehead with his paw. Fantastic, if this was his target, the rescue operation just got twice as complicated.

Chief is not gonna like this... -he muttered under his breath as he glanced at Enzy.

Mihari didn't have much of a reason to be there, but he didn't want to go back inside the cave just yet. Mihari once again scanned the area for movement looking for Baltia. He wasn't too excited of the thought of another pebble being hurled at someone else's head, possibly him. Even so, Mihari had to keep himself from giggling again. Ha, this is kind of fun. Who knows when she'll- there! Mihari noticed movement and was about to take off running after it, but it was only the Royal Blue who seemed to have just joined. Mihari had to push himself back to avoid running into them, causing him to stumble backward. Fortunately, there was a wall behind him preventing him from going too far back. What a clumsy hatchling I am! I nearly ran into that Royal Blue! Mihari noticed noise in the branches above his head. He had almost no time to react before she fell on his head with a "Hello."

((So I'm assuming that Mihari and Baltia are both hidden from Rimaline's view.))

As Rimaline edged closer to the cave entrance, the branches on the left of the cave entrance rustled and a high-pitched female voice chirped, "Hello," happily. She didn't recognize the voice. Her heart rate accelerated, and she squinted towards the shadows. Is she talking to me? Rimaline wondered.

"Who's there?" Rimaline said in the general direction of the shadows. "Did you throw that pebble at Sky?"

...Those scents belonged to other dragons, but as Torque had no clue what his target smelled like, he kept his guard up, and approached carefully.

Some twenty or so steps later, the expected picture came into view.

A collapsed dragon, and his companion. Torque arrived just in time to overhear her say something about her brother not waking up. Immediately, Torque felt like slapping his forehead with his paw. Fantastic, if this was his target, the rescue operation just got twice as complicated.

Chief is not gonna like this... -he muttered under his breath as he glanced at Enzy.

((I know I shouldn't put this here but Artemis is here sleeping and Quinn is eating with Enze. You said companion so I dunno what you mean.))

Enzy's ears twitched. Was someone there? She shrugged it off, glancing back to her brother. She looked at him, worry in her sad eyes. Something was definitely wrong. Then there was that rustling again! "Hello?" she said softly, "Is someone there?" She looked at Quinn, but she was still by the food. ((Not exactly godmodding, right? She was there before...)) No, Quinn was definitely not making the rustling. Enzy looked at the other dragoness, whom was still sleeping. Nope. Someone else was here. "Do you hear that?" she asked Quinn, even more confusion piled onto her stack of thoughts.

Edited by MyaMouse

Baltia grinned at the other white hatchling. "Yep," she said, seeing no reason to lie. "I'm Baltia. Pebble-thrower extroadinare." She grinned again and laughed her high-pitched, infectious laugh.

"Much obliged." Crusher thanked the Royal Blue before taking the hind leg of a deer and eating it whole. "So you want to help? Well if you havn't already noticed my shoulder is busted and I can't fly, but I doubt there's much you can do about that. However...if you want to join us then you'd be doing us all a favor. I assume you've wandered here alone?" At this point Crusher was dislodging a few bones from between his teeth with his fore-claw. "Ah! But where are my manners? My name is Crusher, and you are.....?"

~~~

Irah was still under the tree, examining some yellow fungus growing on it's trunk when Sky approached her. She also had her wings pressed together like she was holding something. "Oh, hey Sky. Is everything alright?" she asked, turning to face him. She knew something wasn't right when she saw Quorran running up the path and Sky didn't look too happy either. "Is he ever happy?" she thought, "Well...I hope he has a good reason this time."

~~~

"But you—" Quorran snarled when Zeditha cut him off then left. "Alright...be like that. But don't expect anymore directions from me." He marched angrily to the cave entrance, mumbling something to himself. When he entered, what he saw next almost made him gasp. He just stood there, staring up at the glowing crystals, his jaw dropped open in amazement. Oh my god...

~~~

Quinn was about to answer when something diverted Enzy's attention. Quinn was concentrating now as well, listening for another faint rustling sound to confirm her suspicion. "Probably just a forest critter." she concluded, "I'll wake up Artemis if it gets closer, just in case." With that said, she continued eating but remained vigilant.

((Does anyone else think it looks odd that only Quinn has a color? I've been thinking of using one for Irah but I have no idea.))

Edited by Booo

That wyvern had rattled Zeditha's cage more times then she could care for. However, she wasn't foolish. She knew all too well that her opinion of that obtuse cryhatchling was her own, and only her own. Doing him harm now would cause others to turn against her, and chaos would ensure in the already shaky state of the group she was establishing.

No no no... -she thought glumly and shook her head slightly after Quorran had stormed off- This can't go on. -she sighed, and reluctantly stood up, then walked in after the wyvern, only to catch him with his jaw hanging. You might want to pick that up before it hits the floor. We haven't gotten around to sanitizing in here yet. -she jested, amused by Quorran's awestruck facial expression.

This, is just the tip of the iceberg. The lobby to what can be a mansion for our group.

A place to call not only a refuge, but a home. -she spoke calmly, yet firmly as she paced around.

I know we got off on the wrong foot. But understand, that building a future is never simple. The world in which we live, you and I, is wrought with danger, and I'm not even speaking of this "Evil Crusher" character. Think, for a moment. I've no quarrel with him, and yet I go out of my way to not only share one of my homes with your group, but I put in all this effort to unite the wandering stragglers, bring in fresh blood to improve our strength in numbers, offer a safe haven to hatchlings who would have otherwise been nothing but a burden to us in the ultimate goal for a safe and fulfilling life, and risk my own neck rescuing the Magi so he can be reunited with his daughter, here. -she gestured towards Crusher, who was still resting further inside.

And you would have me not "be like that"? If you expect me to complacently lounge around without a care in the world, while we wander around like a pack of sitting ducks, you're pressing your luck. -she stopped pacing, sat down and looked Quorran dead in the eye- It won't happen. -pausing briefly for emphasis, she continued, just as stern-faced and serious as before- I'm not looking to be your enemy. But this won't work unless we act altruistically. Unless we help each other.

We need everybody. And that includes you. -she pointed at him for emphasis.

((I may have just turned Zeditha into Uncle Sam. xd.png ))

Edited by Brotato

"Yep," the voice chirped. "I'm Baltia. Pebble-thrower extroadinare." Rimaline heard a contagious high-pitched laugh.

Rimaline still didn't know what Baltia looked like, though. The shadows were too dark. "Umm, I can't really see you," Rimaline called out. "Could you come out here? And where's Mihari and Raven?"

There, there they were, his target and this little hatchling...

*blink*

Wha, what? That's not what I, ugh...

For a moment, Torque wondered if his mind had started playing tricks on him. He could have sworn he overheard someone saying something just a moment ago... The voice sounded so spritely and innocent too. He was sure he'd seen who spoke the words, but now all that he saw was two other dragons, literally passed out near one another. Where did that hatchling go? Was it a hatchling?

Graaargh. -Torque growled under his breath. He felt the onset of a headache coming on. What was going on?! What's causing this?! Dizziness and nausea started to set in, he didn't feel well, not one bit. Leaning against the nearest tree, he watched with horror as the entire scenery seemed to change before his eyes. *blink* The earth beneath, once bare turned covered with rotting leaves, the clearing warped and twisted into a forest setting, the silence he remembered was snuffed out by a loud whistling noise that came and went quickly, only to leave behind the quiet rustling ambience of the forest he now found himself within. Only his sense of smell didn't betray him, as he still very much had a lock on the scent he'd been following.

Then, just as abruptly as this hell broke loose, it ended, leaving him in his new... location? State of mind? He wasn't sure any more...

What the hell was that? -he whispered, stepped away from the tree he'd been leaning against, and examined his surroundings.

The woods weren't very dense, but a whiff of the disgusting ground cover of decaying flora did a number on his nose, almost causing him to lose his lunch.

Disgusting... I'd have picked up on this putrid smell from fifty clicks away. Then again, it would have masked the scent. What gives? How did I get here? -he asked himself quietly, before stepping towards Artemis and Galletian, woozy and nauseous because of the pungent stench of the rotting leaves.

Hey! You two, wake up! Chief's looking for you. -he called to them as he approached. Though he'd never seen them before, he had a good hunch that one of them was Galletian. After all, his most trusted sense brought him there.

Come on! Get up! -he called again, this time nudging Artemis on the shoulder.

((I swear I'm gonna turn this misunderstanding to my character's advantage and advance him, even if it takes me till next year.))

Edited by Brotato

Baltia smiled and tapped Mihari's head. "I'm sitting on Mihari here," she said. "Would you step into the light there, please, Mihari?"

((ugh small posts -.-))

As humorous as the situation was, Mihari hoped that Baltia would jump off his head soon, as it was interfering with his balance. He could live with it for a few minutes though. After all, she wasn't very heavy. He was surprised that no one noticed yet, even if they were hidden. "Who's there?" a voice asked, finally noticing them. Though she was slightly out of view, he know it was Rimaline's voice. "Did you throw that pebble at Sky?" Mihari hoped she didn't think it was him, even though he was out of her sight. Fortunately, Baltia answered Rimaline with her laugh. Still standing in the shadows, Mihari wondered if he should mention his presence also, but Rimaline spoke up again, asking for them to come out.

When Rimaline had asked about himself and Raven, Mihari wondered why she didn't follow them. Maybe she'll come out later. There was probably too much commotion going on there anyway, and even I almost opted to go back. Then Baltia came out of nowhere.

"I'm sitting on Mihari here. Would you like to step into the light there, please, Mihari?" Baltia asked him. "Oh, okay... Hi Rimaline!" Mihari said as he stepped out of the shadow of the cave, now visible again. "I'm pretty sure Raven was still in the cave. I couldn't tell where she went since Baltia was out the cave before I could even react," Mihari said, with slight sarcasm. "I was originally coming out here to see what the commotion outside was about," he continued. "Do you know what's going on? I see some new dragons..."

Edited by ressamp

Baltia wobbled slightly as Mihari moved - she wasn't used to being on someone's head - but shequickly regained her balance. Waving her tail in the air, her bright green eyes shone and sparkled in the light. She closed her eyes for a second, to shield them from the light for a bit, and then grinned broadly and chirped.

((I made a short post long. Ta-dah!))

((Just posting here to remind you, please try to write 4 sentences at the minimum. I'll be responding with Quorran shortly.))

<OOC: @Booo How about maroon for a colour? I mean, with Irah being a Copper and all. :3>

user posted image

Sky Shiner kept on slithering forward until he was at a comfortable enough distance for conversing. He blinked at Irah when she asked whether things were alright. Sky lifted his shoulders in a noncommital shrug.

"Not really. There's the problem of a lack of a convenient water source and then there's trouble over at the other traveling group - don't worry, the Whiptail's already on it," he added hurriedly before Irah could panic about it.

"Apparently, Galletian's sick with something. Not sure what. Just hope that it's nothing too serious," he continued. He fidgeted slightly, before realising that he was still holding the pebble that had been thrown at him earlier and dropped it to the ground immediately. What he should he do now? He was terrible at making small talk, it was simply too awkward for him. He didn't have anything informative to add either. The most logical option in his mind was to leave right away but he didn't. What would be the point of coming to her if he wasn't at least going to hold a conversation with her? So he just stayed there, looking out into the scenery, occasionally glancing back at Irah.

"...His egg hatched too," he uttered idly a few moments later.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Startled, Quinn dropped what she was eating and slid under Galletian's wing again.

"Huh?...what?" Artemis groaned as she was stirred awake. She looked up at the Whiptail whom she didn't recognize and thought she was dreaming for a brief second. "Who are you? Did someone send you here?" she asked calmly.

~~~

"Oh, well...at least he's getting help." she Irah, looking down at whatever she was holding onto. The brief silence made her feel awkward (which was rare for her) until the mention of the egg hatching immediately made her perk up. "That's exciting! I wonder what he or she looks like. That egg was weird looking." she remarked.

((I lied. xd.png No Quorran until I get over this lethargy. @Dream I replied in the other thread.))

Edited by Booo

Galletian could still feel pain, and when Quinn crawled under his sore wing he felt as if he would of flinched if he could've. The bone was kind of set, but now that he was unconscious he worried it would shift and then they'd have to break it again if it healed. He sighed mentally. His body shifted in the conscious world as he groaned. In his mind he had already rolled over, rubbing the wing even though his mental image did nothing to soothe the pain.

Enzy ran under Galletian's other wing. He groaned and rolled a bit, and she saw the bent bone on his left wing. "Quinn," she whispered telepathically, "That's his bad wing..." She glanced at Quinn, then Artemis. "You're the thing I heard," She looked the whiptail in the eyes, searching for a hint of kindness to dissipate her fear. When she found none is his words, even though she knew his meaning was for their well-being, she pulled herself closer to her brother's lukewarm body.

((Ugh, if I previously said right wing tell me and i'll put in right wing.))