Starscream

Painted Chicken Eggs: A wild idea.

Hopefully not been suggested before. But what if chickens had a  BSA- or something akin to it- hear me out... chickens in irl just lay eggs (male present or not)

They lay an egg, that can be selected or painted to match an egg of a dragon you've already collected (one a week or once every two weeks). Through magical paint or whatever, it'll be the same scale as an existing dragon egg, but it won't hatch, it'll just be a pretty decoration. Might explain the assortment of wildly beautiful eggs that happen at the festival of holiday.

Edit: I'll add it's not abandonable, not tradeable. Just a pretty you can choose to create (and would never be part of the monthly raffle requirements)

Edited by Starscream

I like that idea, a novel way to collect egg sprites!

Big fan of this idea, always wanted to collect egg sprites

I think this is a cool idea, and a nice alternative to actually freezing an egg.

I think if egg freezing were added I'd rather it not be from a BSA of a quite rare species to obtain.

That would be a wonderful idea! Also, they could be useful when sorting your breeds / lineages / project, acting a bit like a bookmark :3 (combining them with groups).

Yes please! Would like to have a method to collect egg sprites!

While this is really cute, it seems like an idea to freeze eggs and I'd much rather just have freeze as an action than as a BSA. 

Yes please! I've always wanted to collect egg sprites ever since someone mentioned the idea years ago.

Pleeease, TJ, can we have this....

Conditional support. I desperately want to be able to collect egg sprites, and if this is how we can get it done then I'm all for that - however given the option, I'd prefer an easier method than a bsa belonging to a rare (and expensive, in the Marketplace) species.

I love the idea, but I fear it would undermine the purpose of the chicken eggs.

Chickens are not just a rare breed, but also a joke in and of itself. Here you are collecting dragon eggs, and from one tinier than all the others, you hatch a chicken.

I agree the original idea works best using chickens, but I would much rather see it as a bsa of a dragon that isn’t a novelty in and of itself.

Further, for the ability to freeze eggs, making it a bsa on an unbreedable species sounds a bit too punishing on people who aren’t farming the cave as though it was their job. 
Though if bsa is the way tj wants it, then I do like adding it to an existing specie over making a new, to avoid another stat breed being introduced. (Even as just an uncommon, the people lurking cave would probably hoard and share with their friends, as the more you have, the faster you reach your scroll goals. Leaving you with a lot of disappointed players.)

Honestly though, had the chicken been common and already widely distributed, this would have had my full support. In example if you could raise chickens yourself to feed your dragons or the like. The idea in and of itself is amazingly creative. 

Maybe infertile chicken eggs can be bought from the marketplace for cheap? As in these eggs are sold for the purpose of decorating and won't hatch into chickens, therefore the price is more affordable. (Perhaps they are sold by the dozen similar to buying a carton from the store). 

ALL chicken eggs are infertile, so that's a non-starter, I fear.

Maybe it could be a method where, if you have the chicken egg unlocked in the encyclopedia, you also unlock the option to "paint" any egg that you catch or lay? The way I'm envisioning it is that the lore that Starscream mentions above is preserved in the chicken information (Something along the lines of explaining that painting chicken eggs to match dragon eggs is a longstanding human tradition to commemorate dragons they've encountered). Then, once you've unlocked the chicken in the encyclopedia (I'm not sure if it's there as of right now, but if it's not, it seems easy to add), you also unlock the "Paint" action for eggs, where it says something like "Exchange this egg for a painted model". It would work like a freeze, be pretty easily accessible, and have some fun lore. And I also desperately would love some way to freeze eggs!

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ALL chicken eggs are infertile, so that's a non-starter, I fear.

I mean, not quite?  If that were the case you wouldn't be able to obtain them as eggs via the cave or the marketplace.

The wording was very clearly meant as "buy a chicken egg that won't hatch into a chicken (the way the eggs you currently buy do) for cheap and paint it".

So there would have to be TWO kinds of chicken eggs in the market ? I can't see that happening.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

So there would have to be TWO kinds of chicken eggs in the market ? I can't see that happening.

I think it would more depend on how they were presented.  If it were clearly labeled then maybe.

It might make more sense for there to be a secondary non-hatchable market to buy "decorative" eggs of any breed you unlocked than have them mixed in with the regular chicken in the market (which could cause confusion)

2 hours ago, dracornithologist said:

Maybe it could be a method where, if you have the chicken egg unlocked in the encyclopedia, you also unlock the option to "paint" any egg that you catch or lay? The way I'm envisioning it is that the lore that Starscream mentions above is preserved in the chicken information (Something along the lines of explaining that painting chicken eggs to match dragon eggs is a longstanding human tradition to commemorate dragons they've encountered). Then, once you've unlocked the chicken in the encyclopedia (I'm not sure if it's there as of right now, but if it's not, it seems easy to add), you also unlock the "Paint" action for eggs, where it says something like "Exchange this egg for a painted model". It would work like a freeze, be pretty easily accessible, and have some fun lore. And I also desperately would love some way to freeze eggs!

I like this... if we can't get a regular freeze for eggs for whatever reason this sounds like a fun compromise :)

OMG I never liked the idea of frozen egg (was in fact somewhat against it) but this sounds like a perfect compromise to allow us to keep egg sprites on our scroll. No babies harmed and we get the pretty sprites! 

A different breed to be suggested is fine by me too, if people don't want this kind of bsa on an unbreedable dragon you can't collect. I just like this idea and think it's a good way to go for freezing egg in lore

So it’s a way to have frozen ‘look-a-like’ eggs?

I think several whiles back I was musing over the concept of being able to freeze an egg….

I think this could be cool…. I think it would be interesting to have a description like ‘this egg has sloppily streaked mysterious patterns’ (if it were painted to mimic a Script egg)  or something to indicate it’s an imitation…. 

im guessing they would sort with chicken eggs? Not the breed they’re painted to resemble?

I think it’s a neat idea….. I have no idea about what I think the bsa CD should be, or it it should just be the same as breeding, if maybe there should be a chance of ‘painting’ an egg so poorly that it just looks like a muddy brown or mess of colours with a description like ‘the colours on this egg are so muddled, that they don’t look like much of anything’

but I think it’s a cool idea, for sure….. and I hope minds cleverer than mine keep thinking up these interesting thoughts and adding awesome things to the game I love 😊 👍 🥰 

54 minutes ago, CandraCat said:

im guessing they would sort with chicken eggs? Not the breed they’re painted to resemble?

Hm, that's actually an interesting issue--that would mean nobody who uses breed sort could have their "painted" eggs sort with the breed they're supposed to be with, which would sort of defeat the purpose of having the ability to collect them if you can't display them with the rest of the dragons of that breed.

I think it'd be better if they sorted with the breed they were painted to look like, since I'm assuming they'd just show the existing egg sprite anyway--if they showed a different egg sprite that would defeat the purpose of wanting to collect the existing pretty eggs anyway...