Starscream

Painted Chicken Eggs: A wild idea.

1 minute ago, KageSora said:

I think it'd be better if they sorted with the breed they were painted to look like, since I'm assuming they'd just show the existing egg sprite anyway--if they showed a different egg sprite that would defeat the purpose of wanting to collect the existing pretty eggs anyway...

I also would want them to sort with the breeds they're painted to look like - maybe they could have a little stand or pedestal in the sprite to establish that they're definitely a model, and not a growing dragon egg.

25 minutes ago, dracornithologist said:

I also would want them to sort with the breeds they're painted to look like - maybe they could have a little stand or pedestal in the sprite to establish that they're definitely a model, and not a growing dragon egg.

I assume they'd simply have the "frozen" marker that hatchlings have?  They'd effectively be "frozen" eggs, after all--just an alternative way to get to that end result with different lore for it.

Just now, KageSora said:

I assume they'd simply have the "frozen" marker that hatchlings have?  They'd effectively be "frozen" eggs, after all--just an alternative way to get to that end result with different lore for it.

Oh, that would definitely work! But I was extrapolating from my earlier idea of them being painted models and not actually freezing anything, so they wouldn't effectively be frozen eggs. This is, again, if for some reason just a simple freeze isn't an option or isn't being explored.

3 hours ago, dracornithologist said:

Oh, that would definitely work! But I was extrapolating from my earlier idea of them being painted models and not actually freezing anything, so they wouldn't effectively be frozen eggs. This is, again, if for some reason just a simple freeze isn't an option or isn't being explored.

Well, a Leetle Tree isn't really an egg, either, but the game lists it as an egg on your scroll so it would seen like it'd make more sense to use the existing framework in place (frozen egg that isn't actually an egg) than create new sprites for the pedestal/podium/etc.

I wouldn't personally be opposed to something else, though!

I would support any idea of keeping egg sprites on the scroll! And i hope that chicken eggs being tiny won't mean they couldn't represent eggs of larger breeds.

About sorting.

Undead dragons have their undead sprites and link to their entry in encyclopedia, but in the list they are sorted with their original breeds.  So we kinda have the system. Although I cannot be sure how well it would transfer to painted egg and how easily it would scale with growing amount of breeds.

I’m not sure if the pedestal addition is the best option, or the frozen icon, or something else,, but there should certainly be some way to tell an unhatchable painted egg from simply an egg that hasn’t hatched yet, preferably at a glance so you can tell right away without having to click on it.

I don’t see why they have to be unabandonable and untradable though……. 🤔 

Edited by CandraCat

51 minutes ago, CandraCat said:

I don’t see why they have to be unabandonable and untradable though……. 🤔 

Same reason can't trade adults or frozen hatchlings. Even if it doesn't count towards your scroll trophy - undead hatchlings and adults don't count either and they can't be traded. Leetle tree can't be traded either.

As for abandoning - where is it going to go when abandoned? I do think we'd need something effectively like "release" for normal adults and frozens (smash maybe? destroy?) so that we can get rid of the painted egg if we want (like how even undead dragons have the remove curse BSA to help us get rid of them if so desired...only thing we absolutely can't dump right now is leetle tree but that's just one per scroll so meh), but abandoned to the AP to be picked up by another user makes no sense especially if the egg can't be hatched (how even is calculating AP time going to work lmao).

Edited by Moriaty

1 hour ago, Moriaty said:

Same reason can't trade adults or frozen hatchlings. Even if it doesn't count towards your scroll trophy - undead hatchlings and adults don't count either and they can't be traded. Leetle tree can't be traded either.

As for abandoning - where is it going to go when abandoned? I do think we'd need something effectively like "release" for normal adults and frozens (smash maybe? destroy?) so that we can get rid of the painted egg if we want (like how even undead dragons have the remove curse BSA to help us get rid of them if so desired...only thing we absolutely can't dump right now is leetle tree but that's just one per scroll so meh), but abandoned to the AP to be picked up by another user makes no sense especially if the egg can't be hatched (how even is calculating AP time going to work lmao).

yes, of course, both of those reasons make sense…..

I guess I was still too much thinking of it as an egg…. 😂 

There have been so many ideas for saving eggs -  but this one could be tweaked to have an egg - called Blank, or canvas ? in the market - cheaply, which you can buy and paint ? A chicken egg is too small for most breeds and would have to morph anyway.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There have been so many ideas for saving eggs -  but this one could be tweaked to have an egg - called Blank, or canvas ? in the market - cheaply, which you can buy and paint ? A chicken egg is too small for most breeds and would have to morph anyway.

In my personal ideal version of this rollout, they would be called chicken eggs ("This chicken egg has been painted to look like the egg of -blank dragon-"), but just be the egg sprite that you want to freeze. That's also why they would need some visual indicator of being a model, I think, like a stand or pedestal that they sit on. A lot of the sprites are adjusted for showing detail, instead of making the sprites in an accurate scale to each other (the differences between pygmies and large dragons are too big to do that accurately), so to me it makes sense that the egg model would be 'zoomed in' on.

I was thinking that there might even be a random element depending on your ‘skill’ at that particular moment like ‘this egg has exquisitely rendered mysterious patterns’ or ‘this egg has sloppily painted mysterious patterns’

i know that to actually show different varieties of closeness to all the different eggs would be really time-consuming and difficult for eggs like tinsels, silvers, whites etc….

but that was the thought I first had when I saw this thread….

but the only viable way I can think of to do it would be descriptions only, so I’m not sure it’s much of a good idea at all 🤷‍♀️ 

I mean, the idea itself is a good one, just not my additional thought of varieties of painting skill 😂 

I don't think we'd need actually to paint them - just tell them what egg we want them to look like. And then the finished article would just show as frozen.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Yeah, especially as most folks who want any of the various "egg freezing" (or re-constructing, or painting, or etc.) suggestions are going to be wanting them so we can have  copies of eggs we enjoy on our scrolls if you just keep getting a "sloppy" variant sprite that would...  Really not defeat the purpose for a lot of people.

Basically the way I envision any suggestion working is just giving us the egg sprite with a frozen indicator next to it the same way we have hatchlings--people don't typically ask "Why is my frozen hatchling not growing" so I don't think they'd ask "why is my frozen egg not hatching" as long as whatever method is added to the site makes it clear up-front that you're just getting a frozen/replica/etc. egg.

Personally I think some kind of "fairly cheap 'blank' egg from the marketplace"--be it a non-growing chicken egg (that isn't actually to-scale and just gives us the egg sprite) or a "blank" egg that you can fill in with whatever breed you are trying to get would be better than purely a "catch/breed egg and freeze it" method or a purely "reconstruct shell after hatching" method since otherwise it'll be very difficult or even impossible for a lot of players to get something like a Stat or a Neglected "frozen" egg.

2 hours ago, KageSora said:

Personally I think some kind of "fairly cheap 'blank' egg from the marketplace"--be it a non-growing chicken egg (that isn't actually to-scale and just gives us the egg sprite) or a "blank" egg that you can fill in with whatever breed you are trying to get would be better than purely a "catch/breed egg and freeze it" method or a purely "reconstruct shell after hatching" method since otherwise it'll be very difficult or even impossible for a lot of players to get something like a Stat or a Neglected "frozen" egg.

This is my preference for the reason you state here.

I'd love to be able to have egg sprites; full support, but if there is an easier way to have this than chickens with a BSA, such as the blank eggs from the market mentioned above, that would be preferred.

If our chickens "laid"  eggs, they would be infertile, therefore no frozen or otherwise unborn  or stifled lifeform involved. An action for our chickens to lay  eggs would provide the eggs, then perhaps infertile eggs could be sold in the  market for those who don't have chickens, no trading or abandoning these eggs. Then the egg's actions could be "paint" or "eat" which would allow you to get rid of an unwanted egg? Just my thought on this one. It would be a fun addition.

On 11/26/2023 at 2:07 PM, dracornithologist said:

Maybe it could be a method where, if you have the chicken egg unlocked in the encyclopedia, you also unlock the option to "paint" any egg that you catch or lay? The way I'm envisioning it is that the lore that Starscream mentions above is preserved in the chicken information (Something along the lines of explaining that painting chicken eggs to match dragon eggs is a longstanding human tradition to commemorate dragons they've encountered). Then, once you've unlocked the chicken in the encyclopedia (I'm not sure if it's there as of right now, but if it's not, it seems easy to add), you also unlock the "Paint" action for eggs, where it says something like "Exchange this egg for a painted model". It would work like a freeze, be pretty easily accessible, and have some fun lore. And I also desperately would love some way to freeze eggs!

That sounds like a good compromise, but wouldn't the chicken be really difficult to unlock in the encyclopedia? Though exchanging an egg for a painted model would solve the issue with breed sort.

I definitely want there to be some way to collect egg sprites! Some of them are absolutely gorgeous and they deserve to be displayed! This seems like a creative way to introduce the feature with a non-distressful lore tidbit.

I would like to ask what the general idea/consensus is for the egg cracking sequence/dead egg sprites? There are some I'd like to collect almost more than the intact egg! The Witchlight dragons' blinking eyes in the final cracking stage come to mind immediately. I suppose the easiest thing to do would just be to let you set which stage of egg you're after and not have it be an issue!

The previous painting/no kill version was painted rocks. How many different "lore" explanations for achieving the exact same desired effect do we need to come up with before we can actually get said outcome?  I just want to collect egg sprites, I do not care how we explain it.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:33 PM, SmileyPerson said:

I would like to ask what the general idea/consensus is for the egg cracking sequence/dead egg sprites? There are some I'd like to collect almost more than the intact egg! The Witchlight dragons' blinking eyes in the final cracking stage come to mind immediately. I suppose the easiest thing to do would just be to let you set which stage of egg you're after and not have it be an issue!

Maybe adding on to the idea of trading a real egg for a model/painted egg,  trading each stage of the egg gives you a model/painted egg of that stage, so it could be preserved?

1 hour ago, Iveolra said:

Maybe adding on to the idea of trading a real egg for a model/painted egg,  trading each stage of the egg gives you a model/painted egg of that stage, so it could be preserved?

That would be a nightmare for anybody who collects sprites and is trying to get all the sprites available.  Unless you could exchange any egg for whatever egg you wanted a model of.  Like I cannot even begin to imagine how it would be to try and, say, get every stage of a cracking sequence for a Gold dragon when you consider their rarity in-cave or bred and their price in the market.  Honestly any "you must own an egg to trade it or freeze it" suggestion will fall into that, which is why the idea of "buy a blank/infertile chicken egg from the market to paint" is a much better idea.

13 hours ago, KageSora said:

That would be a nightmare for anybody who collects sprites and is trying to get all the sprites available.  Unless you could exchange any egg for whatever egg you wanted a model of.  Like I cannot even begin to imagine how it would be to try and, say, get every stage of a cracking sequence for a Gold dragon when you consider their rarity in-cave or bred and their price in the market.  Honestly any "you must own an egg to trade it or freeze it" suggestion will fall into that, which is why the idea of "buy a blank/infertile chicken egg from the market to paint" is a much better idea.

It seems to me like it would be a lot more difficult to buy an egg for each sprite I wanted to freeze, whereas being able to "exchange for painted model" as an action on any egg that you currently have (I'd be down for being able to freeze/exchange any stage as well, but I definitely understand that would be a nightmare for sprite completionists! But I'd like to propose that being able to freeze dead eggs too might be nice) seems pretty simple and accessible in my view. It feels natural that collecting an egg sprite would be as hard as collecting the dragon in general!

4 minutes ago, dracornithologist said:

It seems to me like it would be a lot more difficult to buy an egg for each sprite I wanted to freeze, whereas being able to "exchange for painted model" as an action on any egg that you currently have (I'd be down for being able to freeze/exchange any stage as well, but I definitely understand that would be a nightmare for sprite completionists! But I'd like to propose that being able to freeze dead eggs too might be nice) seems pretty simple and accessible in my view. It feels natural that collecting an egg sprite would be as hard as collecting the dragon in general!

It's only as "simple and accessible" as the dragon in question and that means a number of dragons would be completely out of reach for the vast majority of players to even get one egg sprite much less get a whole cracking sequence, especially when you consider that those dragons are usually vastly more valuable being kept unfrozen.  Unless you could, say, trade a Mint egg for a model of a Gold egg or something.

Honestly the frozen eggs don't need to be as hard to get as the dragons themselves, IMO, because you can't do anything with them.  There is no using them as trade fodder, there is no hatching them to grow up so they can breed, etc.  Especially if it's just a "model" egg and not an actually frozen egg--what lore reason would there be to make painting an egg gold so super rare or hard to do?

The only way this could be a potential issue down the line is if we ever got unfreezing in some form, but I would imagine that there'd be a way to disable that for eggs or something (since, like, Leetle Trees have nothing to hatch or grow into so they'd need to lack an unfreeze option anyway).

Like at that point if you're suggesting trading the egg itself for a frozen version just cut the middleman and go straight to freezing the egg itself and ignore the people who get squicky about the idea of the ethics of such a thing since they're just pixels anyway.  Otherwise it's just needlessly convoluted.

How About... (from one who has NOTHING invested in this idea) if you paint an egg, it is "animated" and everlastingly rotates through its stages ?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How About... (from one who has NOTHING invested in this idea) if you paint an egg, it is "animated" and everlastingly rotates through its stages ?

Almost like a user version of TJ's joke eggs?  Depending on how that was implemented that'd be interesting!  Possibly with an option to "pause" the animation on a crack sequence but otherwise it periodically rotates through them?  For those who want to collect all the sprites/like a specific part of a crack sequence best/etc.  (I'd prefer if they weren't tied to views as that might get a bit confusing for some users/people might start shoving them in hatch sites taking views away from actually growing things)