Starscream

Painted Chicken Eggs: A wild idea.

Well I thought it beat having to collect every stage separately.

But you can't shove GROWN things in hatch sites, I think - and they would effectively be. Just a sec....

Nope - just tested a frozen hatchie:

This entry will not be added because it is either an adult, frozen or dead.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But you can't shove GROWN things in hatch sites, I think - and they would effectively be. Just a sec....

I think it would depend on how they're handled.  If they're handled as frozen things currently are they can't get views so they'd have to change image some other way.  If they're like the X D egg, however, "growing" but just eternally hatching into a new egg over and over then they can be added to sites.

Or, however, they could potentially be handled how things used to be--that is, non-growing dragons were able to continue getting views.  So they'd be able to garner views to "hatch" over and over but wouldn't be able to be added to a site (I'm assuming).

What if they cycled through their stages?

similar to how zombies and Noctourns change at night and Stratos change throughout the day as well….. 

I know it wouldn’t let you choose which sprite you had at any specific time, but you could get the whole cycle in a day…… 🤔 

2 hours ago, CandraCat said:

What if they cycled through their stages?

similar to how zombies and Noctourns change at night and Stratos change throughout the day as well….. 

I know it wouldn’t let you choose which sprite you had at any specific time, but you could get the whole cycle in a day…… 🤔 

I'm not sure - it would kind of suck if the stage I want to see the most for any given egg was locked to a time I would usually be asleep for! I think just being able to set a painted egg at a specific stage upon creation would be the easiest & most user friendly way to do things.

I prefer being able to set them as well, but if they were cycling I'd rather see it something like cycle through with "changes to the next stage every hour or every so many minutes".  It would mean you would have less time to look at a sprite you enjoy, but at least it would likely avoid the whole "the only time the sprite is visible is during a time I can't get on" issue.  Or, possibly, it displays a different stage every day of the week?  If you include the dead eggshell, then there's 7 of them.  Or, since I assume a lot of folks wouldn't want the dead eggshell, it could be like "2 days of the uncracked sprite then it advances one stage each day of the week until resetting the next week".

I like the ideas I am seeing evolving here. I like the idea of a rotating, pausable hatch stage.

You could also do something like the sprite changes on each refresh. And maybe sync it up so all eggs would go through the same stage at once.

Side note, can we also get the dead egg if we're doing all stages? Some eggs have very nice dead eggs.

I feel like if they rotate and you have the ability to pause, that would allow for the dead egg sprite--for those who simply can't stand to look at the dead egg they could pause animations on a different one.

Otherwise I could imagine people complaining because they don't want dead-looking shells on their scroll but want to collect other sprites for the eggs

This is cute, harmless, and I think they'd make GREAT collection dividers! Not such a fan of the hatching stages myself but if it was optional then I'd live with it.

-----

On 12/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

This is a limitation of the hatchery, not DC. The API will happily return information about any dragon you feed into it, but - as it works currently - it won't return frozen dragons in the list of a user's growing things.

Frozen dragons are indicated by having no "time left" but also no "death date".  You have to work this stuff out in the code using basic logic, but there's no reason this logic couldn't apply to "frozen eggs" too. A frozen egg would show as having no time left, but no values for hatching, or dying. In fact leetle trees are a great example of that- they're classed as frozen eggs on the site.

If you check the api entry for XD, it just shows as being a normal egg with a hatch date of some time in the last week. I'm assuming there's backend stuff which keeps that regenerating, and the same could probably be done for the rotating chicken eggs. They'd show up in a user's growing things just fine if that was the case.

Edited by _Charky