caseytalk

ANSWERED:Cap market prices

I personally agree, it was more just a suggestion in response to the idea of "what if it leads to overpopulation and they become virtually nonexistent outside the marketplace since prices reflect the ratios"

If there's that much concern, there's ways to limit that, but considering they're...  Basically unobtainable to most people anyway because they're already so rare in cave and so expensive in the market I don't really think it's a massive concern.  I suppose the bigger worry would be if it would impact breeding and people would stop getting them from breeding attempts?  (Unless that's changed, been a long time since I paid attention to breeding and ratios lol)

Also I'd imagine it'd be a more temporary issue--they might become much rarer for a while, but they'd eventually rebalance to a degree.  Might take time, but I don't think it'd permanently decimate them in-cave forever.

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

I suppose the bigger worry would be if it would impact breeding and people would stop getting them from breeding attempts?  (Unless that's changed, been a long time since I paid attention to breeding and ratios lol)

I'm still unclear if breeding is affected by biome/Market population, I know long ago they used to be tied but maybe at one point they weren't and now I'm just confused. (It's not like they breed great anyways, much more likely to get any of the other xenos from breeding Stats.)

I already barely get stats in breeding attempts. Most of my pairings have produced exactly one stat and then never again. Bunnybred, my most successful stat, has bred exactly four stats in two years. I don't think we'll see that much of a ratio change.

Looks like it is "down" to 5500 as of today. Maybe TJ is listening? That is still much too high -- should definitely not take more than a year at the very most to earn one -- but at least it is moving in the right direction.

Edited by purplehaze

I would like to see a cap on the prices as well.

I constantly curse myself out for not buying 2 Stats back in August of 2020. I had only bought 1 and was hoping that the price would drop enough for me to buy a second one.

I finally caught a Stat a few days ago to have a pair.

I hope that Stat pricing gets capped at under 5k. More than a year to get a  dragon is insane.

Still dropping, down to 4900!  Hope this keeps up, or at least that it holds under 5k

Edit:  4.19.22, it's down to 4800!  Maybe a good sign?

Edited by KageSora

I hope that the price continues to fall.  It still seems to be that saving the better part of a year in order to obtain one egg is a bit much.  That said, I'm glad it is down to 4800.  Shall we hope for a cap of 3600?  Six months? 

That would put it below a Magma, which has been over 4k for AGES.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:17 AM, Jazeki said:

I already barely get stats in breeding attempts. Most of my pairings have produced exactly one stat and then never again. Bunnybred, my most successful stat, has bred exactly four stats in two years. I don't think we'll see that much of a ratio change.

My 3 Stats have produced 4 offspring in total in 2 years. 2 sucesses rather close to one another and recently to my surprise. I was trying to fulfill an IOU I had given in June 21 and had them breed almost every week until I finally got my egg last month.
Just to make it clear, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to confirm that even with an upper limit there won't be a flood of them too soon. Though I do see them and offspring as the biggest bargain chip atm, the usual Neglecteds/SAlts/Prizes/CB Metals aside. So that was a welcome change for me.
They are 4800 currently and should not go higher than 5200 if I had to name a limit. 🤔

Edit: My favourite Statfail even had the audacity to be coded. "Oh, so you want purebred offspring? Hah! (F0iLD)"

Edited by Magellan

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That would put it below a Magma, which has been over 4k for AGES.

Personally I'd like to see those go down as well, there's NO reason for them to be so expensive.  I see them in the cave much more regularly than cheaper dragons, it makes no sense for them to be that pricy.

I guess I do wonder why Magma are such a high price. Obviously they're rare, but I was under the impression that the Legendary Trio breeds were supposed to be about equal in rarity, yet it's more than a thousand shards more than Ice or Thunder. I just think it's curious that there's such a disparity between those three breeds in particular.

19 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I guess I do wonder why Magma are such a high price. Obviously they're rare, but I was under the impression that the Legendary Trio breeds were supposed to be about equal in rarity, yet it's more than a thousand shards more than Ice or Thunder. I just think it's curious that there's such a disparity between those three breeds in 

No one knows why Magmas are so high. Even above Golds and fairly sure they always have been. So the prices can't be entirely based on rarity. They've always been an outlier.

Yeah Magmas have been absurdly priced since the market was created; before stats they were iirc the most expensive egg on the market for ages.

Obsessing over just staterae is shortsighted, staterae are not the problem, this is a ratios and mechanics problem, like most problems with this game. Unless a cap is put in effect they will not be the last dragon to have this issue and the fact that we now all know the prices can hike like this will only further encourage panic hoarding and buying, which will just make the next rare's prices even worse.

Edited by blockEdragon

It's not "obsessing over stats", those are just the current focus because they are the main culprit right now.

If some other breed shot up to a year's worth of shards that would be the focus.  You'll note, by checking the thread, that Magmas have also come up as they're unreasonably expensive compared to everything else as well, and there's been mention of how things like a price cap would impact them as well.

The idea of a price cap isn't "only one breed should have a cap" at this point, the idea is "the entire market should have a maximum price things can rise to otherwise it defeats the purpose of the market if they go up in price almost as fast as shards can be earned".  That isn't focusing on one dragon.  If a market cap were instated it would prevent other breeds from hiking in price to such astronomical levels as well.

Currently we're mostly just waiting to see if they keep going down and then stay down--which might indicate something has been done to rebalance them in relation to their cost--or if it'll start shooting up again, which means reiterating support for some sort of limit on how high and/or fast they can increase in price.

Stats are what really made this suggestion an important thing, though, that's why they are being focused on. They are the *only* breed we've ever had in the Market who's price just kept climbing and climbing with no end in sight (thank goodness it's *finally* dropping a bit!), no other breed has ever had such constant price increases for such a long time. That's why Stats are what is being discussed the most.

If  'cap' of a year max was put in place, Stats and Magmas would be the only ones anywhere near the cap. If a half-year is decided for a cap, there would be Stat, Magma, Thunder, Ice, and Chicken who's prices would have to be lowered. There are very few breeds that are in that range, thank goodness, but it's the fact that Stats kept climbing for way too long that made a 'cap' seem like a good idea.  (For comparision's sake, Golds started out in the 4,000 range and fluctuated up and down, going to 3,900 and eventually back up to 4,700 or so before beginning it's decline to where it is now, even the 'Gold standard' of Rares didn't just constantly increase like we've seen with the Stats....)

It is obsessing when "stats are now X price" gets posted frequently without using it as a talking point for a broader contribution to the thread. My original post was more directly addressing the price spamming and making a boarder point about how stats are not the real issue and where the focus should lie, the system is bad and will do this again, probably even worse with each instance. I removed the bit about the price posting being bad for the topic on impulse and now realize that I should have left it in, my post was incomplete without it and made an incomplete point.

It keeps attention on what is perceived as THE problem right now. And the magma issue is not about them.

stats are the one with ridiculously high price right now and it IS the problem, if stat didn't exist I honestly don't think this thread would've started in the first place, magma was crazy in the beginning but never generated such a huge...outrage I guess? It's back to 4900 ughhh I hope it's just a NR jump, this sheer value is just ridiculous

Magmas were always wildly priced but they also never steadily increased like Stats do. Their prices have been absurd, but mostly stable. Stats don't have even that.