caseytalk

ANSWERED:Cap market prices

I bought a stat at 5100.  I still advocate for a cap.  A year is a long time to have to save up for something in a game.  Even though I bought it at 5100, I would not be bothered at all if the cap were lowered to costing 6 months of saving for others going forward.  

1 hour ago, reddof-f6 said:

i understand giving a challenge and making them still hard to get, but half a year? that seems a bit ridiculous.

Half a year is what the highest level was originally supposed to be, though. This suggestion wouldn't do anything about that specifically, that's the way it was actually intended. What this suggestion would do would stop the prices from going to absolutely ridiculous heights that no one originally expected, like Staterae now costing close to a *year's* worth of shards. 

Yeah, as someone who just bought a 5.1k stat, having a cap of 6-9 months worth of shards is... much, much better than the nearly a year of no-spending that starting at 0 currently is. 

Another person who bought a 5.1k Stat and would love to have a cap. The only reason I have so many shards is that I've never bought from the Market (or only did once or twice). No egg in the Market should take a year of maxing shards every single week.

Full support. I think the cap should be equal to 6 months, though. I’ve yet to get a CB staterae and I barely got my 2nd gen staterae…

5400- looks like it jumped 200 shards at once, since i've been checking it and didn't see it at 5300. pricey is one thing, but pricey and only seeming to increase in price (and almost as quickly as people can earn shards at times!) is another.

Yeah, Stats actually stayed at the same price for a couple weeks there but then jumped 200 at once. Over a year of earning max shards every single week, just to be able to afford a single egg. I wonder just how high it's going to go. I wonder what happened to the 'approx 6 months for rares' idea that the Market started with. I personally don't care *what* the cap would be, whether 6 months or 8 months or even a year, *any* sort of cap would at least be better than just continuing to increase indefinitely.

Over a year to earn enough shards for one egg from the market?  Wow. that's incredible.  What's also incredible to me is that, for the prices to continue to increase, there must be people buying it at these prices.  At some point, we will run out of interested buyers who have that many shards accumulated, won't we?  Perhaps there is more going on here than 'market' prices.  TJ has been very opaque about how he sets these prices.  

So... Stats are now sitting at 5,700 shards a pop; it just jumped 300 points since last week 😰

image.png.c9f175a6440c5b26a3b2898eebf80afe.png

I thought the whole point of the market was to make harder-to-grab eggs obtainable; how is anyone supposed to keep up with these price hikes?

My suggestion:

Rarest eggs require 6 months of shards, common dragons require 1 week of shards, and everything else is in between.

I know that won't happen, but there's no point to the market when nobody can get the rarest egg there.

Might as well just take them out of the market entirely at this rate, jeeze...

4 hours ago, Myoukin said:

So... Stats are now sitting at 5,700 shards a pop; it just jumped 300 points since last week 😰

That is absolutely insane! Agree that there doesn't seem to be much reason to have them in the market at all if they are that high and rising that fast.

I thought the whole point of the market was to make harder-to-grab eggs obtainable

So did I.

Glad I broke down and bought a second one when they were at 4300 or so. I debated waiting to see if they would come down the way the Golds did -- glad I decided not to.

Seriously, what's the point anymore. It's impossible to buy one from the market when you can earn up to 100 shards a week but they're going up 100+ every week. Either cap them or take them off the market entirely.

I thought the whole point of the market was to make harder-to-grab eggs obtainable; how is anyone supposed to keep up with these price hikes?

43 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

That is absolutely insane! Agree that there doesn't seem to be much reason to have them in the market at all if they are that high and rising that fast.

Yeah, honestly at this point it seems like the original intention for the Market has veered off-course completely. I still haven't even *seen* a single Stat in the biomes, but with their Market price so ridiculously high and increasing so often it's no longer a case of 'supplementing biome hunting'. The Market is supposed to even things out for people who *can't* grab them in the biomes, but it's not really serving that function at all at this point, at least not with Stats. 

(A week ago I could just *barely* afford a Stat but it would've left me with less than 100 shards left, I didn't buy one but now *even though I've already earned my 100 for this week* I 'need 84 more shards' to afford it....)

I don't care if the cap is 6 months or 9 months or what, but at this point it's fairly obvious that there *needs* to be *some* sort of cap. Otherwise the Market becomes just another unobtainable way that we can't actually get certain breeds. 

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

at this point it's fairly obvious that there *needs* to be *some* sort of cap. Otherwise the Market becomes just another unobtainable way that we can't actually get certain breeds. 

Exactly! And that was certainly not the intention when the market was conceived.

12 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't care if the cap is 6 months or 9 months or what, but at this point it's fairly obvious that there *needs* to be *some* sort of cap. Otherwise the Market becomes just another unobtainable way that we can't actually get certain breeds. 

Yeah.

If it needs to be extremely high, cap it at one year.  That's...  Too high, IMO, but I'd rather have a cap at 1 year than have it at over a year and rising by the week.

More reasonably I'd argue cap it at 6 months, though that'd require dropping the price on some other dragons if they're supposed to be cheaper.  Maybe 9 months tops.  But I'd accept a year if it would at the very least mean you'd get one eventually.  At this rate there's no point in trying because you can never earn the shards quickly enough to surpass the price increase.

While I still support a cap, I do want to raise a concern that capping it at half a year means 2600 shards or so-- which is simultaneously rather high but also very obtainable. It means that if people are diligent in saving, they can get two Market Stats a year, and people who've been saving to try to keep up with the rapidly hiking prices can get multiple at once.

This is a concern because we know market prices in some way reflect the current ratios, and prices rising means the breed is getting rarer because it's overpopulating. (This is an extremely simplified explanation but it's fine for recapping in case people don't know)

This means that a lower price = more people buying and they can buy regardless of where the ratios are. Multiply that by however many people would have enough shards to buy a stat already, multiply it *again* by those who've been saving and can buy two.

Which could potentially lead to immediate overpopulation to the point where they become even rarer in-cave than they already are, effectively meaning they are basically only available in the market.

Again, I support a cap, and quite honestly I want the ratios to be fixed anyway so that kind of thing can't happen, but I thought I'd offer a potential explanation for why TJ hasn't done anything about it yet.

I don't really see overbuying as being too huge an issue, not if it hasn't been an issue already. Since everyone started with the same amount of shards when this whole thing was first introduced, there were a lot of users who were able to buy Market Golds for the first time around the same time. That was even talked about here on the forums, and concerns of overbuying and possible consequences were brought up. But to my knowledge nothing hugely changed because of it, Golds were still seen in the cave (not by me, but...), etc. There wasn't a huge drought or long-lasting issues, that I can tell. 

It's possible that it might be more manageable to bring prices down slowly until they meet whatever the new cap would be, that's something only TJ would know for sure. But since the original idea was 6 months for rares, I don't see people being able to buy 2 Stats a year as some huge issue. It just might mean some fiddling or staggered implementation to make it balance out.

I'm just browsing this thread, but I wanted to point out as others have before me that 5700 shards (at the time of writing this) seems rather excessive & makes it really HARD for players to get a Stat. I feel lucky in that I was able to trade for my one CB & able to afford a Market mate for him. XD FYI: I bought mine way back in Sept of 2020 & I'm sure it was expensive too, just not this expensive. The rest on my scroll are ones I've bred. So after thinking it over, I think a cap on Market prices is needed. So I guess I'm saying I support this. XD

If there's that much concern about "oh no!  People will buy too many of them right away!" maybe just...  Cap the number you can buy?  Treat them as a semi-limited breed, essentially.

Basically a "Doesn't matter how many shards you have, you can only buy 1 every [whatever amount of time]".  Doesn't even need to match the shards needed!  Maybe cap the price at "6 months of weekly shard-maxing" but cap the number you can buy at one per year.  (Could be handled either as a per-calendar year or a "365 days to the second" style.)

I mean, that would probably require an entire rework of the market because it'd be weird to have a single breed that's got a limit to how many you can buy (beyond just how many shards you have) but at this rate I think there's going to need to be a market rework anyway because capping shards at 6mo means that Magma, Thunder, Ice, and Chickens will also be the same price but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be the same as Stats.  It also puts them at only just beyond Golds and a handful of other "rare" dragons.  Even capping it at 9mo means Stats and Magma would be the same price.  (Besides, Magmas just do not need to be that expensive anyway and I will never understand it.  I see them in the cave way more than things priced less!)  So I'm pretty sure there'd need to be some rework no matter what at this point.

Side note, HOORAY?  It dropped 100 shards!

image.png.7aa607f60f8d0cb4f5d68d3d995c6b17.png

I have never seen it's price drop, so it's nice to know it can.  Still, at a year and a month, the price is far too high.  As was noted, the cave compensates availability based on the designed scarcity of the egg.  If the designed scarcity of this egg is so rare that it has done this to the market, I think it's pretty clear that this one has been designed to be too scarce.  I understand the suggestion made earlier to limit the number of market purchases anyone could make, but with the price this high you can buy fewer than one a year -- already a fairly strict limit.  

4 hours ago, caseytalk said:

I understand the suggestion made earlier to limit the number of market purchases anyone could make, but with the price this high you can buy fewer than one a year -- already a fairly strict limit.  

The idea on a time-limit was more meant as being done in combination with lowering the price--if the cap were set at something like 6 or 9 months instead of at over a year.

(Though a year should be the absolute maximum, especially as plenty of players would take over a year due to missing a week maxing shards here or there and/or wanting to buy other things)

Eh, even with a lowered price cap, I don't think we need to set a limit on the number of things users are able to buy. It's their shards to spend as they want. At one time, I was able to buy two golds from the market (after the approximately six months of gathering shards each time) and those are rare as well. The dragons in the market aren't holidays and taking the time to gather enough shards is enough of a wait between purchases.