Xopwe

Hide/remove dragons from progeny list.

Add the option to hide or remove a dragon from the progeny list. This wouldn't effect the lineage or child at all. You can still find the parents via the child but you wouldn't be able to find the child through the parents.

By having it be hide instead of permanently remove, the owner of the parents could unhide them later if they want. I don't know how hard this would be to implement, though. 

Removing could be limited to things like vampires/NDs/wild dragons/freezies if hiding all children would be too difficult. 

This would make it much easier to maintain a "fussy" pairing.

For example, if you have a black pairing that you only want alt blacks from, you can simply hide the regular blacks instead of having to kill them all. 

You can also just hide things you don't like in your progeny list, things like: Vampire, neglected, frozen, unnamed, rude or mean name. Things like that. 

2 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

No support. 

Why ? Not that I mind one way or the other - but why ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Xopwe said:

Removing could be limited to things like vampires/NDs/wild dragons/freezies if hiding all children would be too difficult. 

Absolutely not. If this should be a thing at all, it should be all or nothing because there will always be cases that someone dislikes but wasn't thought of, and making it have criteria increases the complexity instead of decreasing it. Since this idea is clearly just to make users feel better about their progeny lists, limiting it so only a few people can enjoy it seems counterproductive.

Personally I don't think an information page should be able to be doctored, but eh. Maybe if they were placed in a discreet expansible section instead.

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

No support. 

Reason? 

@Fuzzbucket

I said why in my post. 

@Shadowdrake

"Personally I don't think an information page should be able to be doctored, but eh. Maybe if they were placed in a discreet expansible section instead."

Zombies and fogged things don't show up in the progeny list. Hiding would work like that. 

Edited by Xopwe

54 minutes ago, Xopwe said:

Reason? 

@Fuzzbucket

I said why in my post. 

Not yours; paradisiske's "no support".

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Not yours; paradisiske's "no support".

Oh sorry, I got confused. 

Fair enough - I should have quoted her. Editing.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'd rather personally have highlit pairings (as in, the offspring from a specific pair always show up first) and/or a way to hide some pairings under a see more/drop-down menu -would be a great help in maintaining/tidying our dragons' progeny lists and a see more/dropdown would still make that info accessible even if tucked away.

No support for being able to hide specific offspring, but would like being able to hide and/or highlight specific pairings as a whole.  Headachey and on mobile, ask to elaborate if needed.

Edited by Falorni

29 minutes ago, Falorni said:

I'd rather personally have highlit pairings (as in, the offspring from a specific pair always show up first) and/or a way to hide some pairings under a see more/drop-down menu -would be a great help in maintaining/tidying our dragons' progeny lists and a see more/dropdown would still make that info accessible even if tucked away.

No support for being able to hide specific offspring, but would like being able to hide and/or highlight specific pairings as a whole.  Headachey and on mobile, ask to elaborate if needed.

Why no support? I just want to know what downsides I've overlooked. 

I would only support if this is optional. 

I want to see whatever happens to the offspring of my dragons. I also want to know about the families of dragons I get from trades or the AP. I'm a genealogist, and family ties are important to me.

If little Dougie has a Zombie grandpa, a Vampire aunt or a frozen brother, I want to know. It's part of his story.

1 hour ago, dragongrrl said:

I would only support if this is optional. 

I want to see whatever happens to the offspring of my dragons. I also want to know about the families of dragons I get from trades or the AP. I'm a genealogist, and family ties are important to me.

If little Dougie has a Zombie grandpa, a Vampire aunt or a frozen brother, I want to know. It's part of his story.

Yes it would be completely optional and would work like fogging. The child or lineage won't be effected at all, just won't show up in the adults "view children" list. 

3 hours ago, Xopwe said:

Why no support? I just want to know what downsides I've overlooked. 

I just personally don't like the idea of hiding specific eggs/offspring, it really doesn't go deeper than that for me - can't really explain it beyond that 🤷‍♀️ Again I would support the idea to be able to hide entire pairs in a drop down menu, feels less... "targeted" for a lack of a better word

I don't really see much point to this since it seems it would be purely aesthetic without much practical benefit. Also, maybe this is just a me thing, but sometimes I like to browse dragons that I've traded or abandoned and see what lineages other people have made with them. If the people who've raised those dragons decide to hide the offspring that could block me from seeing things.

What I could see being useful would be the ability to collapse and expand the progeny list. So, for example, if I have a dragon who has produced multiple offspring with multiple mates I could collapse the page down to just see the list of mates, and then I could click to expand the mate whose progeny I want to see. If you have a dragon that you breed a lot this could be useful for finding what you're looking for and not seeing the clutter of all the other breedings.

7 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Absolutely not. If this should be a thing at all, it should be all or nothing because there will always be cases that someone dislikes but wasn't thought of, and making it have criteria increases the complexity instead of decreasing it. Since this idea is clearly just to make users feel better about their progeny lists, limiting it so only a few people can enjoy it seems counterproductive.

Agreed. This suggestion is purely for the benefit of users who don't want to see certain things in their dragon's progeny, so trying to dictate what can and can't be hidden isn't going to be the best benefit.

54 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

What I could see being useful would be the ability to collapse and expand the progeny list. So, for example, if I have a dragon who has produced multiple offspring with multiple mates I could collapse the page down to just see the list of mates, and then I could click to expand the mate whose progeny I want to see. If you have a dragon that you breed a lot this could be useful for finding what you're looking for and not seeing the clutter of all the other breedings.

I would love this, definitely. Some progeny lists can get super long if it's an oft-bred dragon (especially if it has many different mates), I think just generally making that page more user-friendly would be a great idea. And it would be beneficial for a lot more people rather than just those that want to hide specific dragons in the progeny because they don't like what has been done to them. 

1 hour ago, UnicornMaiden said:

yesss!  Very quick inspect element mockup but something like this maybe?  Ideally with an option to choose which pair you want to highlight at the top but honestly... I'd take just dropdown menus w/ the oldest pair on top too lol

image.png.eaed04dfe0b4a9db69fa01e4cddec33d.png

Edited by Falorni

Why not something like have it be an optional filter you can enable for yourself?  It won't change what other people see, but you'd be able to limit what you see via filtering options.  Have a bunch of filtering options--filter out X breeds, or dead/frozen stuff, or things that were breed-changed (ND, zombie, vampire).  Or filter to see only those options if you wanted (maybe you wanna find every zombified dragon in your dragon's decadents or something!)

Or just a checkbox in settings of "hide frozen things in progeny list" so it only effects how you, personally, see progeny lists.  (and it would be applicable to all lists you look at--you'd not see any frozen things in the progeny lists of other people's dragons, either)

That would allow users that don't want to see certain things in their progeny list to avoid them, users who maybe want to see specific things in the progeny list to filter for them, and users who don't care to still see the full lists unaltered.

15 hours ago, Xopwe said:

Zombies and fogged things don't show up in the progeny list. Hiding would work like that. 

Zombies do show, and fogged things are both temporary and for privacy reasons. It's a little different from pretending the dragons don't exist at all.

11 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

Oh yes please.

Whenever I breed him for someone, I have to scroll MUCHLY...

https://dragcave.net/progeny/glrs

Just a "list" of his mates would be great.

Reasons why to have this:

Players who dislike seeing 'wrong breed', zombified, neglected, frozen, etc. Hatchlings in their dragon's offspring don't have to see it

Reasons why not to have this:

*if not limited to personal scroll-view only*

No way to fully view all offspring from a parent [ex. I find a 2g Bronze tinsel I like, I want to check the tinsel parent to see what other lineages they might have done/be willing to do for a blood swap. All I get to see is tinsel offspring

Newer players may get confused seeing dragons who have 'bred true' [meaning always produced the same egg type] and wonder why their own haven't (yes, people can already 'manipulate' this by killing eggs of the wrong breed but you get the idea)

It's another way to 'control' an abandoned egg [ex. A 2g prize I bred gets auto-AP'd. I just 'remove' that egg from view of my prize's offspring, thus while someone now owns a 2g prize from me, anyone who looks at the prize parent wouldn't see it]

Could potentially be a coding nightmare.

TL/DR: I'm neutral to it provided that, if added, it is limited to personal view only (ex. I look at my Bronze Tinsel and only see her tinsel offspring. You look at her and see everything)

I do like to explore progeny pages of dragons in lines that I pick up in the AP or trades. Also, if someone offers me an egg from a dragon with the mate of my choice, I like to look to see what they have already bred from that dragon.

I have no problem at all with this if it affects only the way you see it yourself. That way, if you don't want to see those frozen things or zombies or whatever, you don't have to. But I would like to be able to see everything when I look at the same dragon's progeny page.

53 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I have no problem at all with this if it affects only the way you see it yourself. That way, if you don't want to see those frozen things or zombies or whatever, you don't have to. But I would like to be able to see everything when I look at the same dragon's progeny page.

Same here.

Limited support for letting users decide that they, as the owner, don't need to see all of a dragon's progeny on the page. Whether it's through collapsible lists or by letting users tuck some names away under a 'Hidden' tag, I can imagine this would be helpful for folks trying to focus on breeding projects.

No support for letting users fudge records to change the info visible to everyone. A user not wanting to see what happened to an egg/hatchling they abandoned isn't reason enough to justify altering records in ways that could mislead other users, even if it's a non-permanent change or offspring records still show parents.

Edited by schmupti
Stray editing error

I don't really see a need for this, so neutral leaning towards no here in that I wouldn't be upset if it were implemented. I do see a problem arising with people using this to mislead other users. Like someone saying "no, I never bred this thing--look at the progeny."