CHEP

Egg description in encyclopedia?

I thought it would be nice if we had egg descriptions in encyclopedia, since some people go for filling encyclo first(by using hatcheries and taking time clicking those which are not unlocked, I do this) and then get what they want!

Although we have wiki as an option, it would be better if we have more use of encyclo, not just satisfaction and lore thing, being actually helpful with picking eggs!

Edit) Would be nicer if the description shows when you unlock adult(or hatchling) first but not eggs

2nd edit) hatchling descriptions too?

Edited by CHEPPR

As you have to see so many before it unlocks, I imagine most people will have the description burned into their brain by then.

I'm on the "meh" side.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As you have to see so many before it unlocks, I imagine most people will have the description burned into their brain by then.

I'm on the "meh" side.

You only need 5 egg views to unlock it in the encyclopedia.... Or only own one lol. That's not enough for most people to memorize and definitely not have it burned into their brain... For almost 300 breeds. 

This would be really nice if you need to hunt for something specific that you haven't hunted for in a while. It would be neat if all of the dragon descriptions from egg to adult are in the encyclopedia, but then it presents an issue of the page being incredibly long if the breed also has notes. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm on the "meh" side.

You can unlock an entry without ever unlocking the egg itself, can't you? I had to go look for neglected eggs to unlock that sprite even though I have owned several hatchlings/adults, and therefore everything else showed in my encyclopedia. But even regardless of that, I definitely don't remember all egg descriptions anymore. Unless it's a breed I really like, I grab a few during first release and one or two to freeze a bit later, then forget all about it. More often that not I need to check the descriptions in the unofficial wiki if I need to look for something in the cave.

I feel like this suggestion has been brought up before, and I have no idea why it isn't a thing already as it would make the encyclopedia more useful. Support. 

This is the logical place for the egg description.

I would prefer this to stumbling through the pop-up choked Wiki every time I seek clarification on similar names.

Total support. <3

I've been playing this game for what feels like a lifetime, and I definitely can't remember the majority of egg descriptions. I know certain keywords to look for when hunting rares, but I use the unofficial wiki much more often than I'd prefer when it comes to more common breed's descriptions. (I've also resorted to writing down keywords on a sticky-note when hunting for specific breeds for other people.) Having the egg description in the encyclopedia would be nice and helpful (although if the egg description were there would it make sense to *not* have the hatchling/adult descriptions? and yeah that could get a little long I guess, if the breed has lots of notes too.)

I support. I would find this useful.

Yeah, I've been playing for ages and especially with that one batch of breeds that got description changes recently I would really appreciate having the egg descriptions there for ease of reference.

15 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Yeah, I've been playing for ages and especially with that one batch of breeds that got description changes recently I would really appreciate having the egg descriptions there for ease of reference.

This. Plus the fact that with the ever-growing number of breeds we have, it just gets harder and harder to remember which description goes with which breed! This would give me an on-site way to quickly check if a description is what I think it is.

30 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Oh man I've gotten confused by those new descriptions so many times, that's a great example of a situation where having the egg descriptions in the encyclopedia would be helpful.

+1 for in-game descriptions on encyclopedia pages. If space is a concern, just put it in a collapsible and have it closed by default.

Edited by Shadowdrake

Support, big time. I'm a believer in necessary info always being included in-game, not off-site, so this would be fantastic. If there's concern about where to put the info on the individual encyclopedia page, maybe once you unlock the egg, the tooltip on it could change from "Unlock this egg after owning X eggs..." to the egg's description.

Here's how and why this change would personally help me out, rather than only using off-site sources. This is just my personal opinion/experience:

There are cases where I have 20 of a dragon on my scroll, and picked up many more over the years that I've traded or dropped, but still have utterly no idea of even a single word of their description until I look it up off-site again and go, "Oh, right!" At this point, there are so many dragons that hunting in cave is honestly kind of tiresome, because every egg I see, I have no earthly clue what the dragon is unless it's an older one or a longtime favorite, and I don't like going off-site to the wiki to study all the descriptions, so I just don't pick them up. The Egg/Identification Guide on the wiki is amazing, but I find it more useful for quickly identifying a singular egg sitting in the cave (using Find to search for a keyword and having it jump straight to which egg it is) than for hunkering down and studying egg descriptions and memorizing them, since the page on the wiki shows the egg's sprite but not the dragon's sprite. I can't recall all of the dragons by name anymore, so this means that I have to click and open every single dragon I don't know by name in order to see if it's visually one I have to/want to hunt, and since that's a lot of dragons for me, it zaps the energy I was about to use for hunting. If instead, I could use the on-site encyclopedia for egg descriptions, then I could scroll through the main encyclopedia page of dragon sprites and know at once what I want to hunt, open their pages directly, and see the egg descriptions. This would be cleaner and more efficient, streamline the process, and leave me with more energy to actually hunt in the cave. I'd still use the wiki page if needing to check an egg description with Find if something's sitting in the cave and I want to know what it is quickly, but I'm all right with that.

Yes, please! I'd think that one of the biggest things that an encyclopedia would include would be the descriptions of the creature eggs that we're hunting (granted, many have nothing in their entries at all but that's not the point). This is definitely a thing that I have wanted for ages and is my main use of the wiki because, even being here for four years, there are many descriptions that I cannot recall. Congrats to those with genius memory that have them all burned perfectly into their brains, but I think most of us are not those people. Having them somewhere on-site would be helpful for hunting specific things and the encyclopedia would be perfect for it!

It'd be very useful to have it on the official site rather than needing to go off-site to look them up.

My memory's not great--both for committing new thing and recalling old--so I usually have to refresh it when I'm hunting specific breeds.  Be nice to be able to go to the encyclopedia rather than the wiki (though it'd be even easier if the encyclopedia listed the official names under the sprites rather than just showing the images...  I can't always recall what one looks like but I recall the name, but that's likely a suggestion for a different topic)

You can also easily unlock an egg without ever reading the description if you use hatchery sites and just rapidly click through and not read the description.  So it's not always something you'll memorize.

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

On the one hand, it would be good to have an "on site" list of egg descriptions.

On the other hand, newer players might not know about the encylopedia OR might have a hard time unlocking certain eggs to get their descriptions.

I see no harm in it being added, but also don't see a rush for this to be added.

10 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

On the one hand, it would be good to have an "on site" list of egg descriptions.

On the other hand, newer players might not know about the encylopedia OR might have a hard time unlocking certain eggs to get their descriptions.

I see no harm in it being added, but also don't see a rush for this to be added.

This isn't just for the benefit of new players, though--plenty of us long-time players would benefit from it as well, so it not being immediately useful to a newbie isn't on it's own to not seriously consider adding this.

Besides, a newbie will likely not know the wiki exists nor will they know certain on-site mechanics exist.  They'll either learn or ask and be taught, same as anything else.

3 minutes ago, KageSora said:

This isn't just for the benefit of new players, though--plenty of us long-time players would benefit from it as well, so it not being immediately useful to a newbie isn't on it's own to not seriously consider adding this.

Besides, a newbie will likely not know the wiki exists nor will they know certain on-site mechanics exist.  They'll either learn or ask and be taught, same as anything else.

Agreed. Many of us posting support here have 10+ years on the site. We're getting old and senile and can use all the help we can get! XD

26 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

So, maybe make the encyclopedia more prominent instead of being buried in Account (pretty sure that's been suggested before, actually). Having a hard time unlocking certain eggs is not just a newbie thing, I remember when the encyclopedia first came out it took me *months* to unlock all the regular dragons (and I believe I had to wait for the holidays to actually unlock those...). And just recently with the new Florets I had a heck of a time unlocking the pink/magenta Iris because it was so rare. 

edit: Also what @KageSora said, there are a *lot* of things on DC that newer players may not know, especially when it comes to special mechanics and stuff. It seems like an egg description in the encyclopedia isn't even comparable to those things.

Edited by HeatherMarie

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

So, maybe make the encyclopedia more prominent instead of being buried in Account (pretty sure that's been suggested before, actually). Having a hard time unlocking certain eggs is not just a newbie thing, I remember when the encyclopedia first came out it took me *months* to unlock all the regular dragons (and I believe I had to wait for the holidays to actually unlock those...). And just recently with the new Florets I had a heck of a time unlocking the pink/magenta Iris because it was so rare. 

That's also a fair point.  Unless you're dedicated there's plenty that will take absolutely ages to unlock, I still have a few I haven't unlocked because I don't feel like dedicating enough time to trying to do so.

Support

im tired of confusing glavnus wyverns for zyumorphs 

and by the time i google the description the egg is usually gone this wouldve bin very helpful for me back when i started playing lol and the only reason i found the wiki is beacuse i copy pasted the descrips into the search bar so having it onsite woukd be lovely it would give me more incentive to unlock everything in the encylopedia aswell

4 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

Agreed. Many of us posting support here have 10+ years on the site. We're getting old and senile and can use all the help we can get! XD

You've just described me exactly! 😂

12 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

At 71, I find I HAVE to second this!

I'm pretty sure this has come up before. I supported it then, and I support it now. The wiki is useful, but if I just want to check a description before egg hunting it would be so much quicker and easier to look at the encyclopedia.