TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

Wow. Just wow. And earthquake killed my two older eggs. 

Must admit, I do like them all.

6 minutes ago, tjenni said:

I just googled Alstroemeria (since it sounded like some plant name) and those are Peruvian lilies (Inkalilie in German) and they bloom in summer, they are in the Southern Hemisphere, Irises bloom now and are from the northern hemisphere 

oh god oh f*rick what if they flip w seasons and we'll have two Alstros in the winter with one Iris AAAAAH

also i have 2 say it...

image.png.dbef45e5ed57984cc7c7fcaa725420b5.png image.png.933082565c3bae8ce1fe0eb1f71f2480.png image.png.bd1c1919216175faed8efe9b18400fad.png 

The new Floret color is a lesbian and I love her so much

Edited by Falorni
stop breaking my images pls

5 minutes ago, Falorni said:

also i have 2 say it...

image.png.dbef45e5ed57984cc7c7fcaa725420b5.png image.png.933082565c3bae8ce1fe0eb1f71f2480.png image.png.bd1c1919216175faed8efe9b18400fad.png 

it wasn't intentional but it's something i absolutely WOULD intentionally do and once i noticed it i happily embraced it

florets said lesbian rights

That's beautiful, thank you! Especially excited for the florets. they are gorgeous 🥰

18 minutes ago, Falorni said:

also i have 2 say it...

thats exactly what i thought too!!!! naturally i immediately need one

EggSoQvjcGPL0
Why do all of those look like the same variant?

brown, brown, and... brown?

Could they be recolored into somewhat distinct so we can tell them apart? they are very hard to distinguish even if side by side, and impossible when I'm looking at just one at a time. I didn't have major problems before the update though, one was brown and one was sort of two colored.
The eggs are impossible to me, especially the two minimally ligther ones.

I was also confused about the electrics because the dragons themselves are also the same color, only when I compared them side by side I noticed the lightings are different.

Not very alty alts if it's so hard to near impossible to recognize which is which, just like S1 alt vines but those at least have different adult sprites. And I know I'm not colorblind, though may not see differences this minimal (because I assume there must be differences if those are all considered alternative versions, I just fail to see that).

Edited by Meh

14 minutes ago, Meh said:

EggSoQvjcGPL0
Why do all of those look like the same variant?

brown, brown, and... brown?

Could they be recolored into somewhat distinct so we can tell them apart? they are very hard to distinguish even if side by side, and impossible when I'm looking at just one at a time. I didn't have major problems before the update though, one was brown and one was sort of two colored.
The eggs are impossible to me, especially the two minimally ligther ones.

I was also confused about the electrics because the dragons themselves are also the same color, only when I compared them side by side I noticed the lightings are different.

Not very alty alts if it's so hard to near impossible to recognize which is which, just like S1 alt vines but those at least have different adult sprites. And I know I'm not colorblind, though may not see differences this minimal (because I assume there must be differences if those are all considered alternative versions, I just fail to see that).

I agree. It's even worse with the liver/rainbow females. They look identical on their own and I keep mistaking my liver girl for my rainbow girl. 

As someone who usually enjoys sprite updates gonna have to agree, while the linework and shading look improved especially the Rainbows lost a bit of their blue-green coloring in the process I wish could be brought back 😔 

13 hours ago, Lagie said:

Hmm. I actually thought my first image was s1. Sorry about that! ;)

IT's All Good.

1 hour ago, Pixxelation said:

Hey, friends! As you may have noticed, there are now two variants of Florets––the original Iris Florets, and the new Alstroemeria Florets. Both types come in three color schemes––can you figure out how to get them all?

Thanks for the names! ZOMG I love the new style!!!! (Which does not yet show up as a separate entry in my Encyclopedia.) I'm so glad I have three CB pairs. Grow up, dudes and dudettes, because I can't wait to start breeding you!!! (Not gonna lie though, I'm going to call them iris and LILY styles, because Alstroemeria is too long and scientific-y. I looked it up just to find the more common name.)

The new "old"/Iris floret definitely doesn't look grape anymore. *pout* I guess I'll have to give up that name, but now I'm thinking cerise. It still doesn't look magenta to me, because I think of magenta as very bright and these are more muted. Cerise is a fancy way of saying "cherry" so it's still sticking with my fruit theme.

And the new gemshard colors are just astounding!! Now I seriously can't wait for Odeen to do her avatar-sized versions of the new colors. I need that as a rotating animation!

The new hybrid is as fabulous as we all expected, but I agree with @Gluria that many are likely to continue to call them royal purple.

Lastly, that pink sapphire adult! If the yellow one is wearing coveralls, this one is wearing a track suit. I ran track one year in school, and all I could think of was a sprinter's starting position. And that's so appropriate for the mechanic!!  I had to make it a little sign to go with the first:

15th racer sm.png

Amazing adults there. I'm absolutely in awe at the amount of details the artists put into such a tiny space!

My absolute faves are the Alstroemerias and Royal Purples, although I really have to figure out how to put them into my naming scheme. I guess I will stay with some form of *floret* with the former, and the others... We'll see.

Edited by Astreya
I'm always too trigger happy with "send" -_-'

Just for the record, here's a before and after of the Red/Green/Blue Gemshard lineage tiles if anyone wants to see.

image.png.5b856d6417b8805fc014954e7e25a1da.png

This goes well with Fyrebird's comparison:

13 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

I used to save old sprites before the Encyclopedia came out, and never deleted them. I'm only going to do one color.

Older on the left, newer on the right.

Manes (beards?) and mustache tassels are bushier.

Tail forks are thicker.

Antlers are less pointy.

Eyes are larger?

gs comp m.png

gs comp f.png

Fantastic adults!  the Royal Eminence is particularly cool.

Well, thank goodness for Drag Cave Wiki and their explanation for how to get each of these birthday dragons; otherwise, I'd have no idea.  Also don't have time to read through 54+ pages of this thread lol.

19 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

The new green cantormaris does, in fact, require Earthquake. Your other option is to trade for a hatchling (once they hatch the color is set, and won't be affected by the trade).

You're probably not going to like the pink sapphires, either.

Oh I am intrigued, tell me about the Pink Sapphires, please

Just now, Glaciarie said:

Oh I am intrigued, tell me about the Pink Sapphires, please

They are AP only. A Blue Sapphire has to be willfully abandoned to turn Pink, so you can only get it via AP or a trade.

The new male florets look joyous with their curled up toes, not the 'falling over backwards from a punch in an old western' look of the male Electrics. They have wing fingers and clearly defined toes unlike the originals, as well as bushier tail feathers and tendrils? feeler whiskers? stamens? whatever you call them.

I haven't a clue how to breed new ones. 

I have a few more before and afters or comparison pics. These are for the Coppers.

Before & after Copper adult resprites, including the new electrified ones:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/726324781833650206/846380656204578867/SPOILER_unknown.png

And the final Rainbow vs Electrified Copper comparison:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/726324781833650206/846380736122847282/SPOILER_unknown.png

2 hours ago, tjenni said:

I just googled Alstroemeria (since it sounded like some plant name) and those are Peruvian lilies (Inkalilie in German) and they bloom in summer, they are in the Southern Hemisphere, Irises bloom now and are from the northern hemisphere 

Hmm, that's interesting!

It can't really be seasonal, though, because if it were, release-day Violet and Gold Florets would surely also be Alstroemeria Florets, and they are definitely not. (A friend of mine bought a pair of each from the Market for the Release History spiral project, in case it turned out they were needed to breed the 'alt' variants. All four of them are Iris Florets. Scroll is 'rehchoortahn' if you want to take a look.)

Edit: I mean, I guess they could be seasonal in the sense that Jungle and Forest/Alpine just code differently, with Forest/Alpine switching to Alstroemeria when Jungle switches to Iris and vice versa, but that seems odd.

Edited by pinkgothic

On 5/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, TJ09 said:
  • {Snip}

The adults are ALL GOREGEOUS.

Egg Egg Egg Egg

I'M Loving these poses! And the colors are nice. They are a lighter pink than expected.

Egg Egg Egg Egg

Shiny Coppers are here! The 4th variant made by Electrophoresis (lol) is finally real! Gonna be confusing with the new edits making the Rainbows less green.

Egg Egg Egg Egg

Royal Eminence! Oooooh! I like these. They are pretty. Definitely need to trade for some.

Egg Egg Egg

I really like the new electrics and the blue lightinig is sobmuch better. So cool!

Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg

These colors are really nice! I still miss the old heads, but these guys are supposed to be adorable so its okay.

Now we just need a yellow one.

Egg Egg Egg Egg

The White ones are PASTEL! I really like them. Soft rainbow yea. The green ones are nice and earthy.

Egg Egg Egg

These guys remind me of the pre-dimorphism Nilia, and Im absolutely for that! Also the soft green.

Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg Egg

HOW DO WE GET THESE???!!! I really like these new poses! Why are some of these small though?

Also, they are still called Floret Wyverns, despite not showing on the encyclopedia page...huh.

Actually, do they show up now? *checks*

No...

Maybe they are like Seasonals and Xenos, same species but different breeds?

...Wait...

WHAT IF THEY REALLY ARE LIKE SEASONALS??!!

I DON'T WANNA WAIT UNTIL SEPTEMBER!

That's like adding the plain original Copper long after the variants were released. :blink: