SpyroForLife

ANSWERED:Make the Foolsmints appear upside-down on the lineage page

I couldn't find an existing topic for this but if it already exists feel free to let me know, but anyway

It's April Fool's Day and with that comes the beloved upside-down Mints, or Foolsmints! However, whenever these Mints are bred, they appear to be rightside-up in their lineage tiles and you'd have to click through to their pages to see that it's a flipped Mint. I just think it'll add to the whimsy of the Foolsmints if they remain flipped when viewed on the lineage page. I know there are people who have lineages specifically using flipped Mints so wouldn't it be nice to actually SEE them flipped when you look back at the first generation?

So yeah that's my suggestion, nice and simple, I'd like the April Fools Mints to also be flipped in their lineage tiles. Possibly even on the scroll too (rather than just their /view page) but that might be another topic. Thoughts?

I would like this a lot. Support. AND PLEASE ON MY SCROLL. I beg. I know it's just a meme, but it's my meme and it's funny. I want it.

Total support! Just got my first flipper, but I have some 2nd gens from flips and I'd love it if they showed in the lineages.

I understand why people want this, and I wouldn't mind in this particular case since I don't really do much with Mints anyway, and the upside-down ones would be easy to avoid if necessary.

But in general: no, please do not retroactively change the appearance of dragons in lineages, especially if that makes them suddenly look different from something that they used to look identical to. (In this case, "normal" vs. upside-down Mints. In other cases, retroactive dimorphism.)

TJ already commented on his thoughts regarding this in the past -

I know his mind could change. But for what it's worth I agree and actually prefer flipped mints the way they are now. 

41 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

TJ already commented on his thoughts regarding this in the past -

I know his mind could change. But for what it's worth I agree and actually prefer flipped mints the way they are now. 

Ah I missed that somehow, I really am not that great at using the forum search :'D

I guess I see his point, I just thought it'd make it more fun for their tiles to be flipped too, but ah well. If this thread gets the same response and is locked then that's fine, but I'll of course leave the thread as it is for now.

Please, please, please. Knowing most people won't notice makes me not want to breed them because what's the point? You can make cool lineages with everything else.

Edited by DragonLady86

I'm against this. Right now they're a good level of "special, but not exactly game changing." Right now people don't overly mind that there's only a once a year 50/50 random chance to get them because other than being cute scroll decor they have no other use. You make them look different in lineages, that tune is going to change very quickly.

If this WAS to be done, you'd have to have upside mints be a rare available all year thing (5% of all Mints caught/bred/bought?). But if the underlying system for distribution doesn't change, then no for the reasons above.

I've no qualms with them in lineage - but I wish they were upside-down on scroll as well as view page [I forgot I had one until I was checking through dragons]

Support for showing upside down on scroll - neutral for showing upside-down in lineage

I don't think there's any move to have them available from whatever source for anytime other than April Fool's Day, but it really would be lovely to see them lined up in the lineages built from the CB flips.

Since they don't breed flips, it would be an EG like one built from hybrids with the flips as the CB gen and the commons gens building after that row. ❤️

Support for both. It's be easier to find which ones I want to breed each year by sight. 

I wouldn't mind them being visible as flipped on, say, the scroll page, but it would massively impact like three years' worth of lineages if they were changed to be flipped on the lineage page so I wouldn't want that particular aspect of them to change.

Edited by Guillotine

How many breed them as a regular mint vs because they are special? I started several lines when i got my first before I realized they didn't show. It was quite a letdown. Most lineages i see with them are "purebred" same way people do with spriter's alts or hybrids. With flipped mints being a set thing for years now, we should be able to actually show them off a little. 

I still think people are ignoring how bad the backlash is going to be if the sprites have a special lineage view without being more reliably accessible.

Yes, it's just the same sprite but flipped--but on the whole Blue Wing Solstices are even less visually distinct and people were LIVID that the Rosy Wings weren't going to be available going forward. Special mints available at a rate of roughly .5 a year isn't going to go over much better.

On a much less significant but still mentionable note; while I realize some people have built lineages around flipped mints, I'm sure there have also been cases when people picked up what they thought was just a normal PB or checkered Mint line and added on to it. Drastic changes to existing lineages after the fact has also been historically poorly received, even though I realize the spread here is probably limited.

With all of the above, if flipped Mints are added, I think it shouldn't be retroactive--either only new Mints going forward are flipped OR, if possible, new things bred from previous Mints (ie a 2g from a Flipped Mint bred in 2020 wouldn't show the flip, one bred in 2021 would), and that there should be ample more opportunities to collect them, either on the 1st or yearly. Which again, makes this fairly lighthearted joke into a much bigger thing, which I don't think was the intent.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

On 4/2/2021 at 2:49 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I still think people are ignoring how bad the backlash is going to be if the sprites have a special lineage view without being more reliably accessible.

Yes, it's just the same sprite but flipped--but on the whole Blue Wing Solstices are even less visually distinct and people were LIVID that the Rosy Wings weren't going to be available going forward. Special mints available at a rate of roughly .5 a year isn't going to go over much better.

On a much less significant but still mentionable note; while I realize some people have built lineages around flipped mints, I'm sure there have also been cases when people picked up what they thought was just a normal PB or checkered Mint line and added on to it. Drastic changes to existing lineages after the fact has also been historically poorly received, even though I realize the spread here is probably limited.

With all of the above, if flipped Mints are added, I think it shouldn't be retroactive--either only new Mints going forward are flipped OR, if possible, new things bred from previous Mints (ie a 2g from a Flipped Mint bred in 2020 wouldn't show the flip, one bred in 2021 would), and that there should be ample more opportunities to collect them, either on the 1st or yearly. Which again, makes this fairly lighthearted joke into a much bigger thing, which I don't think was the intent.

Just want to add a ditto/yes to all of this.  If the view were changed to flipped in lineages, etc, I can easily see upside-down Mints becoming the new "original Tinsels" and all the trouble that would entail.  Back when there were only 13 Tinsels in the whole cave, for years, they dominated absolutely everything on the trading scene, and there were a lot of bad feelings about their inaccessibility.  Even after that, when Holiday dragons were only raffled off once a year, it was still a source of constant strife.  I would much rather flipped Mints stay fun, but not game-changers.

There are way more than 13 flipped mints. There are in fact more of them than most spriter's alts (at this point possibly even more than all of them together)That's all they are is a spriter alt that everyone can potentially have.

Even so, I think it's wise not to have them show inverted in the lineage., And I speak as one who is building invertimint lines as fast as I can.

Half support.  (Three quarters support?)

I don't think they should change in lineage view (I wouldn't mind if they did, but I can see why people wouldn't want that and it's fine by me either way), but I *do* wish they would show flipped on the scroll page!  It's really really hard to even *find* your Flipmint if you have a lot of Mints on your scroll, unless you name it something very searchable.  It would really help to have them show up flipped on the scroll view, and that wouldn't affect anything on other players' scrolls so I don't see why it isn't feasible.

Edited by sorenna

I'm indifferent to flipped mints appearing flipped in lineage view (although I really doubt it'd have much of a devastating effect on the market like some people speculate) - however I'd love love love if they appeared flipped on the scroll view

I'm genuinely curious how many people made flipped mint lineages who would be upset by this change. Are there really many, or any people, who made a "perfect" mint lineage using flips that would be upset by a flipped lineage sprite retroactively? They are a novelty dragon, but it's a shame they aren't flipped in more places in my eyes.

Edited by Ashywolf

I wouldn't mind seeing them flipped on my scroll and group pages, but really don't see a need for it in the lineage view. Many of the names I've seen are fairly readily identifiable as flipped mints.

I think they should be flipped both on scrolls and in lineages. I can't remember which ones are my flipped ones, especially when I forget to name my dragons, or if I pick up a dragon and look at the lineage I would like to be able to tell the mint is flipped without having to click it. I see no harm in keeping it flipped in more places than just the summary page. I feel like having it not flipped almost defeats the purpose of the dragon itself.

4 hours ago, Ashywolf said:

I'm genuinely curious how many people made flipped mint lineages who would be upset by this change. Are there really many, or any people, who made a "perfect" mint lineage using flips that would be upset by a flipped lineage sprite retroactively? They are a novelty dragon, but it's a shame they aren't flipped in more places in my eyes.

I started lineages but quit when they didn't show upside down. Massive disappointment.

Edited by DragonLady86

7 hours ago, Ashywolf said:

I am one of those, and I would like this to happen. I want it MORE on by longer lines.

Here  the entire CB gen are flipped, and I'd love to see that show up, as it took me quite a while to find people to help !

7 hours ago, Lagie said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them flipped on my scroll and group pages, but really don't see a need for it in the lineage view. Many of the names I've seen are fairly readily identifiable as flipped mints.

Mine are recognisable by their names, as are most of the ones in my fab line - but even so....