Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

3 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

People already do this. There are plenty of thuweds, and the dorkface owner took a hiatus and lost her names and someone took them, that's why they now have "the original" in front of their names. As for creating false 2gs, that's why you should always check the lineage first. You cant truly fake a thuwed or spriter alt or cb prize. And Midas Dorkface and Shallenar have such high views (and progeny list) they'd be difficult as well. 

This (and others).

'Faking' names really shouldn't be an argument against this suggestion because it *already happens*. It's not something that will just suddenly start happening if names aren't exclusive. In fact, I've been on a naming-spree lately and have found multiple 'false' Thuweds in my dragon's lineages. Especially for people who understand TJ's (older?) naming scheme, it's fairly easy to 'fake' a Thuwed name. It already happens. And there are already ways to see the truth. Looking for the 'verified' note on the dragon's page is a fairly simple way to see if it's a true Thuwed, as well as just looking for that insane amount of views that TJ's dragons have. 

Getting rid of name exclusivity won't suddenly make 'fake' names an issue, they already are an issue that many of us have dealt with. As for being tricked by fake names in trades or whatever, it's the user's responsibility to look at a lineage and verify what is being offered/claimed. There are fairly easy ways to tell what's what. 

9 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

People already do this. There are plenty of thuweds, and the dorkface owner took a hiatus and lost her names and someone took them, that's why they now have "the original" in front of their names.

Well, the person who has the old names wanted to give them back, but the owner of Midas/Dork said she preferred their new names with "The Original". Wasn't that they were stolen for devious purposes.

I don't think "famous" names should have any stock in the suggestion, anyways. Any value that Thuweds, Dorkfaces, and spriter alt offspring has is entirely created by the community. There's nothing different about those dragons. Admittedly it's been a long while, but I believe CB indicators and inbred checkers on site were always rejected for this same reason.

2 hours ago, Nine said:

Well, the person who has the old names wanted to give them back, but the owner of Midas/Dork said she preferred their new names with "The Original". Wasn't that they were stolen for devious purposes.

The person who has the old names had actually grabbed them when they were wiped, to save them for the original owner - they were being extra nice. Just saying.

For any copied names, can't you also check the 'stolen' and 'hatched' dates as well?

I am SO for removing exclusivity!

I don't name a lot (ok most) of my dergs because I apparently think just like everyone else, lol. I try to name all my holidays because I breed those, and know that ppl like to have the parents in their lineages named.
   I always run into someone already having the funny, or what I believed clever, name already. (Especially puns! Someone on here is a fabulous punster and always beats me, to it! -it always makes me laugh and mentally raise a toast to them- but darn it!)

I loathe having to misspell, or add spaces, or other characters, to finagle the name I'd like to have, and a lot of times, others have already used all the options >.< 
(I would dearly love having some punctuation options, or the ability to start a name with a ' though...)

I am absolutely against any wiping of names or stealing names. Sometimes life gets in the way, and I can't log on. Even though that function has been gone for a long while, I *still* get the panicked feeling of 'omg I haven't logged in in x amount of time, will the names still be there?!'

Wiping has also ruined a few of my oldest lineages when the other players went inactive for a bit. -I believe I ended up releasing those because it was pointless without the naming string.- This is also why I pretty much only collect cb's now.

( ...and now I kinda want to see a big, long lineage comprised of dragons all named Steve, with each dragon from a different player!)

I really like the idea of having double names only restricted by account - it would make naming a lot less of headache without the possibility of an annoying amount of double names. I know the site won't technically "run out" of usable names, but it's like over a decade old at this point, right? The having unique dragon names is sort of a charming quirk of dragcave, but at this point feels outdated and impractical.

I don't particularly mind name exclusivity, but I feel like I'd rather go all or nothing. Either names are exclusive across all accounts, or names can be repeated, even within an account.

I don't really see why I shouldn't be allowed to name every dragon I hatch "Steve" if I want, it feels like another arbitrary rule to replace the arbitrary rule already in place, albeit a less constraining one. I'd be happy with getting rid of exclusivity on it's own but I'd much rather we just get rid of it altogether, not replace it with a softer version of the same nonsense.

Edited by blockEdragon

Yeh, the only time that name exclusivity really gets annoying for me is if I try to do a song lineage and I wanna use the same phrase like, twelve times in a lineage, which... getting rid of name exclusivity between accounts but not within an account wouldn't help me there.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

I don't really see why I shouldn't be allowed to name every dragon I hatch "Steve" if I want, it feels like another arbitrary rule to replace the arbitrary rule already in place, albeit a less constraining one. I'd be happy with getting rid of exclusivity on it's own but I'd much rather we just get rid of it altogether, not replace it with a softer version of the same nonsense.

This. I see no reason at all to continue 'name exclusivity' per account, that seems like a completely unnecessary rule put in place simply to *not* completely do away with name exclusivity? Is there any actual *reason* I shouldn't be allowed to name multiple dragons on my scroll the same name? If we are looking to get rid of name exclusivity, do it. Get rid of it. Don't add a totally arbitrary new rule about it for no real reason.

Yeah-- as someone who does do lyric lineages, trying to rehash the line These trials make us who we are, who we are we are eight times (this is not an exaggeration; the line pops twice in the chorus) was frustrating and making names still exclusive within the account wouldn't be helpful. There's no reason that someone shouldn't be allowed to name every dragon they own "Steve" or "Apple Pie" or what have you if name exclusivity is removed.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I'm neutral on the idea itself, but I have no reason not to support it. This is speaking as someone who has a fair few "high-value" names like English and Japanese Pokemon names, fandom names, and some real English words.

To clarify since it's caused some confusion among semi-active FR players, there is no restriction at all on duplicate names on Flight Rising and I currently own 200+ fodder dragons with the same name.

I'd be thrilled to have duplicate names overall or on a per-account basis on DC in any case.

When I discuss Dragon Cave with casual DC players on other pet sites, unique names is always something that comes up in a 'haha can you imagine if this was like DC wouldn't that be awful' kind of way. When it serves so little functional purpose within the site, I think it would be a really positive move to get rid of that limitation and maybe encourage people to drop in more often without feeling like they have to fight the naming system.

I've developed a system so it's rarely a problem for me personally, but it's always a shame to see more creative folks having to discard or deform beautiful ideas to work with it.

I second this. ^_^ I think it could bring a new fun dimension to the game and more creativity in lineages.

It would probably revolutionise how people play considering it would change how people build their lineages. Though I can see some problems with this, including where historically famous dragons would cease to have their name exclusivity (for example, I can think of Midas Dorkface and Shallynaar), and some people might start making 'mock Thuweds' and pop their progency into the AP to troll. I do think some users enjoy having exclusive dragon names (I certainly did at one point), such as those who have exclusive dragons with descriptions, so I can percieve that some may oppose the idea. But I ultimately think it would be fairer and less frustrating for everyone if things changed.

It would be fun to see a big wall of Midas Dorkfaces in the AP, however. XD And weird lineages like this (but like at 20g):

image.png.08eda299062bfaf52e79201acb7ec5a5.png

1 hour ago, FiveSix said:

there is no restriction at all on duplicate names on Flight Rising

Please don't invoke the "Other games do this" thing - it doesn't help discussion, it REALLY doesn't. We get the same issue with people bringing up Pokemon,  Chicken Smoothie, Ostlea and others - but this is DC and many of us are actually here because it ISN'T those other games.

Full disclosure - I don't want duplicate names, myself - but if they happen I'd like to see that be because of discussion of THIS game, not of those games !

ETA and there's a lineage I would never want an egg from , because you cannot see AT A GLANCE whether it's inbred or not. I like inbreds,

https://dragcave.net/lineage/wVlLZ

but I like to decide for myself which lines are and which lines aren't.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@Fuzzbucket as I said, that comment was a clarification of an inaccuracy in the OP and not part of the reason I hold the opinion I do.

Where other games come into it it's specifically players who have been driven to those games away from DC by exclusive naming.

They still aren't really relevant here. We all pick the games that have the features we like.

Eh, personally I think it's worth considering that if a good number of people are citing something as a reason they've stopped coming back to a game they otherwise enjoyed, that's worth noting in a thread probing whether that's a feature people find useful or enjoyable.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They still aren't really relevant here. We all pick the games that have the features we like.

It was relevant as it was cited earlier in the thread as an example of how to do it on DC; it's useful to point out that the example is wrong. although I already did that

7 hours ago, lovecats99 said:

It would be fun to see a big wall of Midas Dorkfaces in the AP, however. XD And weird lineages like this (but like at 20g):

image.png.08eda299062bfaf52e79201acb7ec5a5.png

I have this lineage. (warning: has crashed browsers before)

https://dragcave.net/lineage/N3Iht

It was done by padding out names with spaces and inbreeding siblings with each other, but it was still EXCEEDINGLY annoying to work with after about five generations.

I should think it's pretty telling that people who have played both this game and x other games consider a feature of this game to be a detriment and not a plus. Really, has anyone specifically joined DC because they thought, "I can't have any common names I might want? Sweet!"

At this point in DC's age it mostly locks out newbies and casuals from having most neat names they would like, which is not good for player growth of a mostly isolationist game.

29 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I should think it's pretty telling that people who have played both this game and x other games consider a feature of this game to be a detriment and not a plus. Really, has anyone specifically joined DC because they thought, "I can't have any common names I might want? Sweet!"

At this point in DC's age it mostly locks out newbies and casuals from having most neat names they would like, which is not good for player growth of a mostly isolationist game.

Huh ? 

I see the uniqueness of names to be a plus. Not sure where that fits in what you say - I think I am missing something. It wasn't THE reason I abandoned other games, but non-uniqueness in other games is one of the reasons I wouldn't go back to them.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I see the uniqueness of names to be a plus.

Except there's absolutely no logical pluses; the only thing you can really say is "I like it this way" which doesn't hold any value in the discussion without reasoning. Name exclusivity is incredibly arbitrary.

11 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

Except there's absolutely no logical pluses; the only thing you can really say is "I like it this way" which doesn't hold any value in the discussion without reasoning. Name exclusivity is incredibly arbitrary.

I don't think that's true, I can see multiple logical pluses... For example, what someone said earlier (somewhere, not searching for it now) about naming a dragon after a special person and not wanting anyone else to use that specific name. I have a few dragons named after family members, and especially with those that have passed on, I can understand the idea of wanting to preserve the 'uniqueness' of that name on a dragon. Also, things like Dorkface and Thuweds.... 

I'm all for getting rid of name exclusivity, I don't see it as a positive myself, I would love to be able to name things how I want regardless of if someone else happened to use that name first. 

22 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Not sure where that fits in what you say - I think I am missing something.

I'm saying that most people who join DC will only learn about name exclusivity when they inevitably get disappointed that their first (and second, and probably third) choice in names isn't allowed. Name exclusivity favors veterans and "serious" players while pushing away new or "casual" players because many, many, many good names are already taken and forever will be. Unique names may be a feature you favor, but it certainly isn't something you can say a new player would decide to stay for when their pick of names will be a lot smaller.

In its youth days, DC's game-wide name-uniqueness worked and probably made sense, now, at its 10y and probably bilions of dragons (anyone has the number?) is not working anymore. I resorted many times to misspellings that get on my nerves, mixes of my native lanhuage or iILls to name mine and is frustrating when 7 names you think of are allready taken. (Sure you could squeeze the code in the name, but I see it as a major discomfort with no logic reason)

I like Odeen's version most as like uniqueness, but within my own scroll

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

For example, what someone said earlier (somewhere, not searching for it now) about naming a dragon after a special person and not wanting anyone else to use that specific name. I have a few dragons named after family members, and especially with those that have passed on, I can understand the idea of wanting to preserve the 'uniqueness' of that name on a dragon. Also, things like Dorkface and Thuweds.... 

I guess that situation is a matter of opinions, because my reaction to that is

1) I don't understand how the name not being unique would make the dragon any less special. I'd think it'd be special because of your relationship with the person and not because of the name being unique?

2) I think it'd be more upsetting to want to name a dragon after someone and seeing the name is taken, that's the other side of things

But again I guess it's just, difference of opinions. I also don't think this is a large enough issue to warrant being taken into account for this suggestion.

Also (and this isn't directed only to you) but the thuweds/dorkfaces thing is getting kinda silly because it's being brought up so much. Thuwed faking already happens, nevermind the fact that real thuweds have "verified thuwed". And every time I see dorkfaces mentioned I think "lol people still care about those?" because I've not heard them mentioned in a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

I'm saying that most people who join DC will only learn about name exclusivity when they inevitably get disappointed that their first (and second, and probably third) choice in names isn't allowed. Name exclusivity favors veterans and "serious" players while pushing away new or "casual" players because many, many, many good names are already taken and forever will be. Unique names may be a feature you favor, but it certainly isn't something you can say a new player would decide to stay for when their pick of names will be a lot smaller.

I'm ALWAYS having to change spelling and be creative. Since the day I joined. It didn't put me off then and it still doesn't. YMMV and clearly does. ☮️

1) I don't understand how the name not being unique would make the dragon any less special. I'd think it'd be special because of your relationship with the person and not because of the name being unique?

It's not the making special, it's the identification as much as anything. Look at those lineages shown above. No way - without going to a fan site - to tell if they are inbred.

Edited by Fuzzbucket