Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

I'm kinda in support of this. I'd like some more creative freedom with naming (especially when it comes to naming my dragons after fandom characters), but maybe protect the original dragons of the famous lineages (SAlts, Thuweds, Dorkfaces, etc). I've been getting on fine with most of my naming, however it'd definitely be nice to not be overly restricted in naming just because someone else got a name before I did.

I don't breed most of my dragons, so no one would know if I had a duplicate name or not. I also don't trade a lot, so again, duplicated names wouldn't be an issue for anyone but myself.
  I do breed for all holidays, and spend so many arrgh filled hours trying to find a name that hasn't already been taken. 

I just spent a week and a half, trying to get all my Halloween's and Christmases named, and it was mildly annoying.
   I just wanted 'Twas The Night! (There is a song, with gorgeous piano music, from one of the Hallmark movies that I wanted to honor) 

Since we already can't put an apostrophe or dash as the first character, I tried one after the T -name taken. I tried without one at all -name taken. I could've thrown random apostrophes, or dashes in there, so I could get some version of the name, but it would irk me every time I looked at it, so I decided on a totally different name, and surprise! that one was also taken >.<

Rinse and repeat for many hours this week. it's disappointing. Again, I don't name most of my dragons, because trying to hit a name, at this point that's not taken, is time consuming and frustrating. If name exclusivity was removed, I would have more fun naming things, and not feel like it's an annoyance. And no, sometimes nothing but that exact string of letters will do. It's an esthetic and a weird brain thing for me, nothing to do with entitlement.

I'm still very strongly against stealing or wiping names for player inactivity, because that could (and has for me in the past) ruined really neat lineages that were created just for the naming scheme. It also puts unnecessary pressure to log in, even tho huge RL pressures may keep one from worrying about their dragons. I loved when that was changed! The reason I play this game at all, and have for years, is exactly because it's a low-stress one. 

Edited by Uther_Pendragon
Removed an errant be

40 minutes ago, olympe said:

Somehow "protect" well-known dragons (SA, Dorkface) from being counterfeited. How, exactly, is this supposed to work?

How exactly do you counterfeit an SA?

The way this would "work" is not to take it into account. We've already covered why this is completely not an issue for SAs and Thuweds. Midas isn't any more special than any other dragon, so why would he get special treatment? Besides, Midas has his owner's name visible and a few other things you can use to tell it's him.

Also, while I still don't think this is the thread for it, I do not support automatic removal of a dead dragon's name; let the owner choose.

Edited by Keileon

This thread is getting a bit heated, and I'll just pop in now to say if we continue to attack each other and not the topic, this thread may be closed temporarily.

Be kind to others even if they disagree with you. It's natural for humans to disagree - and that is not a reason to treat your fellow forum users rudely.

Thread has been cleaned and re-opened. I'm asking everyone participating to please keep this discussion civil, as my fellow mod Kaini noted above. This is the only time this thread will be locked and cleaned with a warning, if we have to intervene again to lock it down it will be locked permanently. 

I am in full support of the removal of name exclusivity. There are some very obscure names I would love to have the ability to name my dragons, but they have been taken years ago. I have always preferred single word names (for example Outsmarted or Collider) and it is getting harder to find names that I truly like because of the current exclusivity. And some names I just want to name after my favorite character, but I can't - and I will not use spaces or other suffixes to "get" said name. 

I don't mind exclusivity within your own scroll, but I would prefer the site wide exclusivity removed.

I would rather names remain unique.

I am late to the party, so sorry if this has already been discussed with solutions, but my biggest concern is it would make it much harder to check for inbreeding.

I also tend to find dragons via view/n/, which becomes dysfunctional if this happens. I don't just look for dragons on my scroll, either--sometimes I note down lineages I'd like to ask about swaps later via name, or find breeders based on common naming schemes of stuff found in the AP. I can't do that with duplicate names without some very weird work-arounds that'd have to be thunk of.

The last one is much more subjective, but I think having unique names adds flavor. Both in terms of feeling like awesome dragons being awesome (wow! there is only ONE amazing dragon out there named Austin Powers! He must be AMAZING! + what kind of lame butt dragon wants to share their mighty name with others??), and because it presents much cliche-related groaning (wow, just found ANOTHER red dragon named Scorch in this lineage). It also has other uses; I've seen owners of very rare dragons trade for names before (which means, someone quick on the draw who gets a cool name can then have something to offer for rare dragons, if they like), and I've in turn been gifted names I really wanted. They'd be much less special if every mom pop and Georgie had those names, too.

I also disagree that coming up with names is hard. While I have a few thoughtful names, lately I've been lazypants and it's very easy to string together unique names based on codes plus a few vowels. Maybe one in twenty of those I try is taken already. People can also use scroll last names as a workaround (Seraph might be taken, but what about Seraph de Lux? Which I actually like so I'ma steal now haha, but you get the point). I do get that sometimes there's a name you really would love that's taken (trust me, it's happened to me too!), and it can making working on lyric lineages a bit tricky, but in most cases it really is doable. And, as with all the examples above, I really feel the benefits and conveniences of unique names outweigh those of nonunique names.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Thanks, ADP, for saying exactly what I too feel about it, with the same reasoning.

I have to be brief so:

- Naming a dragon shouldn’t be like trying to come up with a password

- Thinking deep, there’s a lot to be said about the psychology of naming things, one tick being that it can create a sense of attachment

- Naming a memorial dragon can be a part of the mourning process, and insisting using additional info is perfectly fine is more insensitive as seeing “Layla” would remind me of my dog, but “Layla in loving memory” would just remind me my dog’s dead and make me sad again.

- If inbreeding is such a big issue, perhaps suggesting a solution for that problem would be better

- The fact that the site owner can’t stick to his own naming scheme because people beat him to it is also a troubling sign.

- Some people feel guilty that they’re the only ones able to show their love for x character because only one dragon can have that name.

Eliminating name exclusivity is important (in my opinion), and so finding a solution to the inbreeding issue rather than just saying it's an issue would be a good idea. I think the best way to accomplish this is for lineages to have both the name and code of dragons on them. I don't see any issues with that, but if anyone does then we can rethink it.

37 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I also disagree that coming up with names is hard.

This is something very subjective, of course; there are people who more easily come up with names and are satisfied with workarounds, but not everyone is. I think it's clear the vast majority have difficulty coming up with names, and will only grow more difficult as time goes on. Also, I don't think people should be forced to accept a workaround if they don't want to.

It's somewhat parallel to the "creativity vs no creativity" thing that's been brought up. It's impossible to claim that exclusivity encourages creativity, and impossible to claim exclusivity does not encourage creativity, because it really depends on specific cases. No matter what you claim, you can provide a case that disproves it.

I have to say I don't think any of us can safely say the "vast majority" do anything in particular. There are thousands upon thousands pf players and not that many on forum, and even fewer who chip in to suggestions. It's a small number of us vocal types who thrash about in here !

Olympe did point out a major issue with the look of lineages that showed codes though.

I know I wouldn't want them in here, and full scale song lyrics would be even worse.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/nBxMR

On 10/1/2020 at 3:37 PM, Commander Wymsy said:

Just edit lineage view to something like this:

name2.PNG.79bfe6864fc5f029479a12d8523ba368.PNGname1.PNG.53ef21cd781ce356ee2bee6821a4cef0.PNG

This isn't perfect and was really quick and dirty, but I think it gets the point across: accommodating both name and code isn't too terribly difficult.

I think this works perfectly fine, no? (on page 3)

And yes, I am basing my "vast majority" statement on this thread. Because there's nothing else really to base it off of, and I think intuitively, too, since losing name exclusivity helps open up more playstyles, it's a pretty safe statement to say.

Edit: Just to clarify, I personally don't think the inbred issue is large enough to warrant this idea getting shut down. But I do understand why it would bother some people, and so something like what Wym did doesn't seem like it'd be bad at all.

Edited by KrazyKarp

Personally, I'd prefer code on the top and name on the bottom in the mockup, but honestly that's just nitpicky- I just wanted to make that opinion known just in case that influences things.

I think I've already posted my support for this thread though. I wouldn't care either which way- top or bottom- if that got implemented- I think it has the potential to be useful even with exclusivity.

In the interests of encouraging more varied discussion which doesn't just go over the same points endlessly, or something, I have some other possible mildly insane solutions to the problems caused by name exclusivity:

• allow trading names on the trade hub somehow, so names can be safely traded for dragons or other names (yes, you can do this now, but there's no game-based enforcement like for regular trades). This would make it more possible to get names if you really wanted them while maintaining exclusivity.
  • increase the name length limit and drop the character set restrictions, so you can use large amounts (64?) of arbitrary Unicode characters. This would preserve the property that /view/n pages lead to a unique dragon, even if you cannot actually type the name, sort of allow non-exclusivity via having identical-looking names which are nevertheless different due to invisible character abuse/homoglyphs, and encourage creativity through providing more options (and allowing more languages).

15 minutes ago, osmarks said:

In the interests of encouraging more varied discussion which doesn't just go over the same points endlessly, or something, I have some other possible mildly insane solutions to the problems caused by name exclusivity:

• allow trading names on the trade hub somehow, so names can be safely traded for dragons or other names (yes, you can do this now, but there's no game-based enforcement like for regular trades). This would make it more possible to get names if you really wanted them while maintaining exclusivity.
  • increase the name length limit and drop the character set restrictions, so you can use large amounts (64?) of arbitrary Unicode characters. This would preserve the property that /view/n pages lead to a unique dragon, even if you cannot actually type the name, sort of allow non-exclusivity via having identical-looking names which are nevertheless different due to invisible character abuse/homoglyphs, and encourage creativity through providing more options (and allowing more languages).

This still doesn't solve the core issue of exclusivity, though, which is that names must be unique. They're fine ideas, they just don't accomplish what needs to be accomplished.

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'd just like to add my two cents. I name my dragons in such a way that it's extremely unlikely somebody else will have taken a name I want for one of my dragons. Exclusivity doesn't affect my naming much at all. But that's because of a deliberate choice on my part about how I want to name my dragons. If I can choose to name my dragons strange fantasy-sounding names, others should be able to choose to name their dragons "common-sounding" names or phrases.

It's also a little redundant for codes to uniquely identify a dragon, and the name to... also uniquely identify it. Name exclusivity is already bypassed in many sites/services by the use of unique IDs or codes, so I don't see why DC couldn't follow suit, especially since codes are already in use. Being forced to use "oOo this oOo" or "xX this Xx" or "t h i s" is a relic of the past.

The least niche point brought up against removing exclusivity, I think, was inbred-checking. Of course it's possible to simply go to a fansite to check inbreeding near-instantly. Some people don't want to go off-site to do that, but that's also a choice on their part which shouldn't be any more or less important than the choice of what to name one's dragon. It's now just a matter of what most of the users hold to higher importance. An on-site inbred checker would quickly solve this issue, but that's a whole nother thing.

Last point I wanna address is the one about creativity that's been brought up a few times. Uniqueness != Creativity. Creativity (when it comes to naming) is so much more than that, and can manifest itself in many different ways, so I doubt that getting rid of name exclusivity will significantly reduce creativity.

Either way, it's great that this conversation is being had, and it's very informative reading all of your opinions and experiences!!

2 hours ago, Sextonator said:

I have to be brief so:

- Naming a dragon shouldn’t be like trying to come up with a password

- Thinking deep, there’s a lot to be said about the psychology of naming things, one tick being that it can create a sense of attachment

- Naming a memorial dragon can be a part of the mourning process, and insisting using additional info is perfectly fine is more insensitive as seeing “Layla” would remind me of my dog, but “Layla in loving memory” would just remind me my dog’s dead and make me sad again.

- If inbreeding is such a big issue, perhaps suggesting a solution for that problem would be better

- The fact that the site owner can’t stick to his own naming scheme because people beat him to it is also a troubling sign.

- Some people feel guilty that they’re the only ones able to show their love for x character because only one dragon can have that name.

- It isn't like making a password, though. Like I said, 90% of my names this year (totaling hundreds of dragons) are just their code letters + a few vowels. If people are trying to come up with more SPECIFIC names then, yes, it might be hard to find a unique way to do so--but that's a choice. Coming up with a random name-sounding name in itself isn't hard, really. Try the code thing if you doubt me! :)

- I don't think the very limited, specific case of a memorial name is a widespread enough point to be a compelling closing argument. Also, try something that reminds you of them in a positive way. My boy Rufus would've been Rufus Chubbybody Tinylegs, for example.

- Other inbreeding alert suggestions have been brought up and shut down, largely because it implies to players that inbreeding has a negative in-game effect, which it doesn't. Generally people expect a pop-up warning to suggest something bad might happen. I've argued against this, but... it's been brought up over and over every time inbreeding avoidance mechanisms are discussed.

- How many people are as popular as TJ, though? I mean someone could try to troll by taking a bunch of surnames, but how likely are they to get ALL the wants that user wants?

- But everyone can, again, have that name with modifiers added...

2 hours ago, KrazyKarp said:

Eliminating name exclusivity is important (in my opinion), and so finding a solution to the inbreeding issue rather than just saying it's an issue would be a good idea. I think the best way to accomplish this is for lineages to have both the name and code of dragons on them. I don't see any issues with that, but if anyone does then we can rethink it.

This is something very subjective, of course; there are people who more easily come up with names and are satisfied with workarounds, but not everyone is. I think it's clear the vast majority have difficulty coming up with names, and will only grow more difficult as time goes on. Also, I don't think people should be forced to accept a workaround if they don't want to.

1 hour ago, KrazyKarp said:

I think this works perfectly fine, no? (on page 3)

And yes, I am basing my "vast majority" statement on this thread. Because there's nothing else really to base it off of, and I think intuitively, too, since losing name exclusivity helps open up more playstyles, it's a pretty safe statement to say.

I find the codes with names mock up VERY UGLY. I only work with named lineages when possible because I found codes immersion-breaking. It would also make things like lyric lineages look much more cluttered and less appealing to read through (and lyric lineages were one of the big examples brought up for why people want this!)

I also think you can't predict a vast majority on anything, but especially on a forum thread. The people who want unique names gone are obviously going to be drawn to this and thus the thread is likely to be biased towards it. Suggestions are so infrequently actually implemented around here (dlfkjdldjff!!!) that people who disagree might think it's not worth bothering.

In terms of naming troubles: seriously, try using code letters + a few random vowels! It's a miracle! 

Or ask for help in a name suggestion thread.

And in regards to forcing people to accept a workaround: someone is always being "forced" to do something, even if it's hardly the end of the world. Getting rid of unique names would "force" me to deal with names I was very happy to think of first to no longer be unique, to have to deal with new looking lineages to avoid inbreeding (or worse, same lineages with inbreeding nearly impossible to decipher!), and to make it no longer possible for players who snagged neato names to be able to trade them for cool stuff. 

Compromise is the name of the game. However, in this case unique vs nonunique is a pretty heads-or-tails little-overlap situation, and I still am very much in favor of sticking with the unique name scheme we've had for over a dozen years now.

Although if people want to suggest a way to recycle dead/inactive names again, I'm all for it....

What about having codes pop up like a tooltip upon clicking, say, a dragon's name in a lineage? Right now names aren't linked or anything (and they don't even let you copy paste them properly when you try to highlight them lmao), so making them have a function on click to display the specific dragon's code would be a good compromise between "hovers suck on mobile" and "I don't want to see codes in lineages all the time". (Or, I guess, the plain old toggle-all, but somehow that feels less like something TJ would implement.)

As an experiment, I just tried name checking names based on codes for some hatchlings on my scroll.

JYrap --> Jayrap
KoKnV --> Kokonov
vXMAx --> Vaxmax
ODRPV --> Oderpiv
E1JWt --> Eijwit
OjNKa --> Ojinkowa
FcmNz --> Fecimniz
ShzPZ --> Shizpiz

Not a single name I tried was taken (although I did just nab some of them for keeps!). Eight dragons named in under a minute. I also claimed Scorchmunch and Seraph de Lux based on things I also randomly thought of in this thread.

I get that mileage will vary and not everyone will instantly think of names, but seriously--say a code out loud, add whatever vowels your brain's language processing adds to make it readable, and voila! Yes, this won't work if you're looking to make SPECIFIC names based on people names or character names or common nouns, but that's not the point. Making unique names is, by and large, very doable. 

18 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

What about having codes pop up like a tooltip upon clicking, say, a dragon's name in a lineage? Right now names aren't linked or anything (and they don't even let you copy paste them properly when you try to highlight them lmao), so making them have a function on click to display the specific dragon's code would be a good compromise between "hovers suck on mobile" and "I don't want to see codes in lineages all the time". (Or, I guess, the plain old toggle-all, but somehow that feels less like something TJ would implement.)

I mean, it's a halfway point, but it would still take significantly longer to manually click and check codes for inbreeding than it does just eyeballing names. I also have terrible memory for tiny strings of random nonsense, so remembering that 83iJt can't appear more than once is a lot more work than remembering Scorchmunch can't reappear. Especially if I have to do it for multiple names. 8C

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

21 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

It would also make things like lyric lineages look much more cluttered and less appealing to read through (and lyric lineages were one of the big examples brought up for why people want this!)

I would rather be able to actually create an already-taken lyrical lineage with a different layout, rather than be completely locked out of one entirely because of exclusivity.

22 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Getting rid of unique names would "force" me to deal with names I was very happy to think of first to no longer be unique, to have to deal with new looking lineages to avoid inbreeding (or worse, same lineages with inbreeding nearly impossible to decipher!), and to make it no longer possible for players who snagged neato names to be able to trade them for cool stuff. 

I think a lot of these situations are very niche. I rarely hear of name trading and of people being super attached to having unique names they thought of first. But also, that is only from my own experience; times like these where polls could come in handy.

As for alternatives in general, we all know how to do workarounds like name threads and such, it's just that many people find them frustrating and discouraging. Of course, that is a YMMV situation; and I'm doing the "put yourself in another persons shoes" thing, because my naming scheme (almost) always guarantees the names will not already be claimed. If I were in the situation where I used more "normal" names, I'd probably give up entirely on naming because of it being so frustrating. Using codes and tossing in a few vowels is a super specific type of naming, after all.

At this point it really is a YMMV, though, I do agree with that.

41 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Suggestions are so infrequently actually implemented around here (dlfkjdldjff!!!)

dlfkjdldjff!!! are exactly my feelings on this too haha

6 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

- It isn't like making a password, though. Like I said, 90% of my names this year (totaling hundreds of dragons) are just their code letters + a few vowels. If people are trying to come up with more SPECIFIC names then, yes, it might be hard to find a unique way to do so--but that's a choice. Coming up with a random name-sounding name in itself isn't hard, really. Try the code thing if you doubt me! :)

Thing is using the codes is not something everyone wants to do, the codes are Random and unique, of course you can base a name off them and have a new name, that's how the codes work. Heck I've seen lines where people have just copy-pasted the code as the name, which is definitely the easiest and most unique and creative way to name them.

But the codes are random, and I've tried, I've sat here and tried to finagle codes into names I like but it just gives me a headache cause I don't like them, they're not meant to be words/names and you can tell. I can tell every time I look at a line if they're just going off the code, because they don't look real. It works, it 100% works, but not everyone likes it. Some people are good at it and I like their names, others, not so much. But that's subjective.

- Other inbreeding alert suggestions have been brought up and shut down, largely because it implies to players that inbreeding has a negative in-game effect, which it doesn't. Generally people expect a pop-up warning to suggest something bad might happen. I've argued against this, but... it's been brought up over and over every time inbreeding avoidance mechanisms are discussed.

I don't think a popup was mentioned? I was imagining just a highlight of some kind, but since tj won't do it for cbs, I don't think he'd do it for inbred. And I don't know that I think he should, even as someone that avoids them. Either way, that's its own topic. TJ used to be against bringing back old CB event dragons, he could change his mind again.

I find the codes with names mock up VERY UGLY. I only work with named lineages when possible because I found codes immersion-breaking. It would also make things like lyric lineages look much more cluttered and less appealing to read through (and lyric lineages were one of the big examples brought up for why people want this!)

This has been addressed with requesting a toggle for it. Everyone agrees it's not great for lyricals, but personally I'd take the trade off of making the lineage a little less clean looking to do songs others have done. Presumably it'd be people worried about inbreeding that would need it on, or people that like the way it looks. Honestly I want the option even if names remain exclusive. Its a win-win for checking for inbreeding.

I also think you can't predict a vast majority on anything, but especially on a forum thread. The people who want unique names gone are obviously going to be drawn to this and thus the thread is likely to be biased towards it. Suggestions are so infrequently actually implemented around here (dlfkjdldjff!!!) that people who disagree might think it's not worth bothering.

I mean, people against it are just as likely to speak up, to make their displeasure known, in case TJ is looking and considering it, imo. We cant prove which hypothetical number is bigger either way. Going off the only data available is all we can do.

And in regards to forcing people to accept a workaround: someone is always being "forced" to do something, even if it's hardly the end of the world. Getting rid of unique names would "force" me to deal with names I was very happy to think of first to no longer be unique, to have to deal with new looking lineages to avoid inbreeding (or worse, same lineages with inbreeding nearly impossible to decipher!), and to make it no longer possible for players who snagged neato names to be able to trade them for cool stuff. 

How do you feel about lines that are inbred by like one or two dragons, which you're generally not going to tell at a glance? It seems to me like you either have to be checking all the CBs closely to begin with, or using an offsite checker, to be 100% sure, in which case you'd notice regardless of names. I've bred a nice line that ended up being two dragons inbred cause it was like 7g and I didn't catch it until someone named one of the offspring referencing the inbred part. Most people trading good names are trading for other names from what I've seen, so it would just take the trade out and let them both be happy. I'm sure there's people trading dragons for names out there, but from what I've heard from people trading names, its usually name for name.

Although if people want to suggest a way to recycle dead/inactive names again, I'm all for it....

I haven't chimed in on this before so I'm just using this to say I'm strongly against it. And judging by the fact TJ stopped doing it, I'm guessing that Is the majority opinion/his own opinion. But also its own topic.

"Just do code + letters." Sigh if I wanted a name that is a random string of letters I may as well just not bother naming it because the code already is a string of random letters.:/

Mixing code and letters is basically making a password, taking a base component and adding to it until it is strong enough to be accepted.

Or you start off with a base name and add to it until it gets accepted.

And that doesn’t help for lyric lineages, it doesn’t help for lineages based on popular fandoms, and it doesn’t help when you want a name that means something to you. That’s missing the point of wanting a specific name.

Wanting to name a dragon or a lineage after a favorite media can also mean a lot to a person, it’s also something that overlaps with a memorial dragon. If I love Samus, but can’t use Samus, and can’t find an unused variant that would still be acceptable, I don’t want to try and force it with unrelated or unfitting words.

I also don’t like that not only have people traded for names, but people will hoard names for later use. I think it’s a little upsetting that names are treated like a hot commodity where it’s first come first serve.

I also doubt that everyone who picks up the same naming scheme as someone else is doing it out of malice. I wouldn’t be surprised if half the people who have used the thuwed scheme did so out of admiration. It happens, but it’s still unfortunate that people can’t “share” one.

27 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

How do you feel about lines that are inbred by like one or two dragons, which you're generally not going to tell at a glance? It seems to me like you either have to be checking all the CBs closely to begin with, or using an offsite checker, to be 100% sure, in which case you'd notice regardless of names.

Inbreeding is inbreeding. I've passed over 5g+ checkers that were only related to my lines by a single dragon (a SINGLE DRAGON! Not even a pair, but one matching mom or dad! They're just mocking me at this point!). And really it only takes a minute or less to check a 5g. Above that I might use an inbred checker, yes.

27 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

I haven't chimed in on this before so I'm just using this to say I'm strongly against it. And judging by the fact TJ stopped doing it, I'm guessing that Is the majority opinion/his own opinion. But also its own topic.

It keeps being brought up, so I still think people like it. TJ stopped, then said he'd reimplement it in a news post, then never did. Like I said, suggestions unfortunately aren't oft-implemented.

26 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

"Just do code + letters." Sigh if I wanted a name that is a random string of letters I may as well just not bother naming it because the code already is a string of random letters.:/

My point isn't that coming up with GREAT names will be easy. Just that "coming up with unique names is hard" isn't the case.

As a closing thought, we could all argue this way to Sunday about what's best. There's pros and cons on both sides. Even while I'm strongly in favor of unique names I too see the perks of being able to do lyrical lineages more easily or grab a few names I've long longed for. That being said, and because this is a this-or-that situation where there's just not a lot of possible in-between compromise (although if people can think of some good in-betweens, yay!) ... I would much rather stick with the situation that has been the case for 12+ years. There is no perfect solution here. And BECAUSE there is no perfect fix and not everyone will be content no matter what's done, I'd rather stick with what's been the way of doing things ever since the game was founded.