Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

My whole argument for this change is not that I want to have a unique name, I desire names that I can't have because of name exclusivity. I don't want to trade to have the names I like/desire, and I do not want to add spaces to claim something that weakly resembles the name. If I want the name Darius, I want it to be typed exactly that way. I do not desire changing the way I name, just so I can capture a likeness in name to a character I care about.

And there have been quite a few changes that have been good that were once "the old way". We got previous years holiday dragons rereleased as caveborns and that was awesome, and we now have rereleased treats from previous years. I like that we have seen change like those, and would really like to see the name exclusivity "tradition" change as well. 

Edited by Whirlaway

39 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

There is no perfect solution here. And BECAUSE there is no perfect fix and not everyone will be content no matter what's done, I'd rather stick with what's been the way of doing things ever since the game was founded. 

I'm gonna hard disagree here: Lots of things on this site (and others, but people hate it when other sites get brought up when discussing how too make DC better) have been changed despite people being angry about them not being able to be done in a way that makes everyone happy. Old CB holidays returning is one example of that- and also strikes me as vaguely similar because people were vehemently against it because they wanted the old holidays to be unique and special. 

I don't think a suggestion should be tossed in the trash just because there are some points of contention- and, in my opinion, these points are relatively small compared to the points of contention other people had for other suggestions, like the Marketplace, which was implemented. When an update happens that changes things, there are going to be people who are unhappy that things are changing; that shouldn't be the reason we go "nope, looks like this can never happen."

I'm just going to rattle off some points. Some will be repeated from earlier in the thread, I just want everything in one place.

• While initially neutral, I currently support this suggestion.
    • I changed my stance because while I didn't initially sway either way, more importantly I had no reason to oppose it and absolutely none of the points brought up by those who did felt like valid reasons to keep unique names.
  • I do not feel as if unique names adds anything to the game anymore. It was fun, I guess, ten years ago but there's functionally no real reason for it anymore. For me, it doesn't encourage creativity, and it more often makes naming dragons frustrating if you've got a lot to go through.
  • I do not want names to be unique within one's scroll. If someone wants seven dragons named Bob, that's their choice. If someone accidentally names seven dragons Bob, that's still on them. The benefit of being able to use a repeating chorus in a lyric line or allowing a player the freedom to use a name however many times they like outweighs the possibility that someone might be unobservant or forgetful.
    • I am not however opposed to using a new symbol on the naming screen to indicate that you have used a name before. Like we have a checkmark for an available name and an X for an unavailable/disallowed name, perhaps an exclamation point for a name we've used before.
  • I honestly don't care about view/n and wouldn't mind seeing it gone entirely, but I also don't mind the suggestion of using it to list all dragons of that name, with yours at the top.
    • Neutral on the suggestion to link to the name's view/n if more than one dragon has the name.
  • It's been brought up that one could use a dragon's name being unique to keep track of whether you want to use lineages from the owner, but I have a few issues with that:
    • The dragon can always be renamed (I use adults to hold names for other dragons all the time and I have a few who have had at least five names in the last year because of it) and the name taken by someone else.
    • It seems kind of like... this is why people hide their scroll names on dragons.
  • I don't really think checking for inbreeding is a relevant issue, as I've seen several purebred and checker lineages (even beyond the ones I've made) where the names are similar or there's just so many dragons that you can't tell at a glance if it's inbred anyway.
    • This would be made completely nonissue with an onsite inbred checker, but that's not the topic of this discussion. While I agree users shouldn't be made to go offsite to use a feature that should be official, it is a viable option and I can speak from experience that it's actually not all that difficult to check codes (on mobile or desktop) for inbreeding.
    • I don't personally like the aesthetic of name + code visible on the lineage page but functionally I think it's a great idea. It's also one of the few things I'm fully supportive of a toggle for.
  • Dragon impersonation is completely a nonissue.
    • You can't counterfeit a Spriter's Alt because they have different sprites, and players who don't know that wouldn't know their names anyway.
    • You can't counterfeit a Thuwed because of several factors, mainly the Verified Thuwed link and the massive amount of views that TJ's dragons get whether they have that link or not.
    • Midas Dorkface has his owner visible, a 4-character code, a single mate who also has a 4-character code, a very telling offspring list, and even beyond all that... he's just another CB Gold dragon, guys.
  • Scroll surnames and other tags don't do anything against this suggestion. If someone picks up a 3G egg where all the ancestors have the surname of "Rainfur", then that person might decide to name the dragon in turn and use up a Rainfur name. TJ's already had Thuwed names stolen from him. I have a friend who constantly ran into issues because his scroll prefix was used in a bunch of other random names. Many people seriously dislike seeing tags like "CB" or "3G" in a dragon name. Even more people dislike seeing the code just randomly in the name. And speaking for myself, but I developed a mild distaste for the "code + random letters" method around six years ago.
  • I know name trading is a thing, but the trade value of anything has always been player-driven and should have no bearing on whether a mechanic is or is not changed or implemented. I'm speaking as someone who has traded names, and has various Pokemon, English word, fandom, real person names.
  • If someone wants to use a name because it's special to them (their real name, a pet's name, a family member's name, even a username or OC name) they shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make it "unique".
  • I absolutely do not support the automatic recycling of inactive player/dead dragon names as an alternative solution to this suggestion. While I do support letting a player unname dead dragons, I vehemently oppose taking those dragons' names away without input from said player.
  • I have in the past accepted that something was unlikely to change because no solution would please everyone, but I don't think it's a good reason to just give up and let everything just stay the same... especially when that comment is coming from someone who wants things to stay the same. :P

12 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

This is the only time this thread will be locked and cleaned with a warning, if we have to intervene again to lock it down it will be locked permanently. 

Hey whoa, don't go kill a good topic because a few people did something. Just warn those people if they keep it up or forbid them from posting here if necessary. It'd be a huge shame to see a good suggestion thread with lots of discussion end abruptly. Especially since users appear to be the think-tank of progress on DC.

I'm pretty sure this suggestion has come up frequently over the years and subsequently shot down by most forum-goers, so this is an interesting and worthwhile change of pace. We can see that some people's opinions on name exclusivity are influenced by other issues on DC, like the difficulty of checking for inbreeding, or visual clutter of the lineage view, or the lack of ability to find specific dragons quickly. While not directly related to name exclusivity, these are all great things to see brought up because it can make people realize there's nice, quality of life changes to benefit from. And that problems tend to be multifaceted. Getting rid of name exclusivity will be great, but it'd be even greater to have that plus a better way to find dragons, search lineages, etc. Not all problems will be fixed at once, but for DC it's nice to see them even recognized, lol.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

Hey whoa, don't go kill a good topic because a few people did something. Just warn those people if they keep it up or forbid them from posting here if necessary. It'd be a huge shame to see a good suggestion thread with lots of discussion end abruptly. Especially since users appear to be the think-tank of progress on DC.

I'm pretty sure this suggestion has come up frequently over the years and subsequently shot down by most forum-goers, so this is an interesting and worthwhile change of pace. We can see that some people's opinions on name exclusivity are influenced by other issues on DC, like the difficulty of checking for inbreeding, or visual clutter of the lineage view, or the lack of ability to find specific dragons quickly. While not directly related to name exclusivity, these are all great things to see brought up because it can make people realize there's nice, quality of life changes to benefit from. And that problems tend to be multifaceted. Getting rid of name exclusivity will be great, but it'd be even greater to have that plus a better way to find dragons, search lineages, etc. Not all problems will be fixed at once, but for DC it's nice to see them even recognized, lol.

I don't actually remember it being shot down before. This is the most opposition its ever gotten unless my memory is really faulty. It's just something that comes up, gets discussed to death, the thread dies, and nothing ever comes of it. Repeat sometime later.

8 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I find the codes with names mock up VERY UGLY. I only work with named lineages when possible because I found codes immersion-breaking. It would also make things like lyric lineages look much more cluttered and less appealing to read through (and lyric lineages were one of the big examples brought up for why people want this!)

I also think you can't predict a vast majority on anything, but especially on a forum thread. The people who want unique names gone are obviously going to be drawn to this and thus the thread is likely to be biased towards it. Suggestions are so infrequently actually implemented around here (dlfkjdldjff!!!) that people who disagree might think it's not worth bothering.

And in regards to forcing people to accept a workaround: someone is always being "forced" to do something, even if it's hardly the end of the world. Getting rid of unique names would "force" me to deal with names I was very happy to think of first to no longer be unique, to have to deal with new looking lineages to avoid inbreeding (or worse, same lineages with inbreeding nearly impossible to decipher!), and to make it no longer possible for players who snagged neato names to be able to trade them for cool stuff. 

Compromise is the name of the game. However, in this case unique vs nonunique is a pretty heads-or-tails little-overlap situation, and I still am very much in favor of sticking with the unique name scheme we've had for over a dozen years now.

Very much this.

7 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

As a closing thought, we could all argue this way to Sunday about what's best. There's pros and cons on both sides. Even while I'm strongly in favor of unique names I too see the perks of being able to do lyrical lineages more easily or grab a few names I've long longed for. That being said, and because this is a this-or-that situation where there's just not a lot of possible in-between compromise (although if people can think of some good in-betweens, yay!) ... I would much rather stick with the situation that has been the case for 12+ years. There is no perfect solution here. And BECAUSE there is no perfect fix and not everyone will be content no matter what's done, I'd rather stick with what's been the way of doing things ever since the game was founded. 

This too.

6 hours ago, Paintra said:

I'm gonna hard disagree here: Lots of things on this site (and others, but people hate it when other sites get brought up when discussing how too make DC better) have been changed despite people being angry about them not being able to be done in a way that makes everyone happy. Old CB holidays returning is one example of that- and also strikes me as vaguely similar because people were vehemently against it because they wanted the old holidays to be unique and special. 

I don't think a suggestion should be tossed in the trash just because there are some points of contention- and, in my opinion, these points are relatively small compared to the points of contention other people had for other suggestions, like the Marketplace, which was implemented. When an update happens that changes things, there are going to be people who are unhappy that things are changing; that shouldn't be the reason we go "nope, looks like this can never happen."

The thing about this one is that there cannot be a middle ground between unique and non-unique. It is, or it isn't. And the other thing is that most players (players, not forum members) actually don't seem to name their dragons. The only people who care about this are the people who DO name them. And either way, a big chunk of us have a lot invested in their names, and will be upset. It is a FAR bigger bone of contention than any other to date. ANY other. Because there is no way around it. No-one has to use teleport, the holiday biome, have male pinks etc. But if we name a dragon, we risk someone else using the same name - a practice we profoundly dislike. That is something we cannot get away from by avoidance and so on. Only by - not naming any more.

(And I do know that there ARE players still unhappy about teleport, never mind the holiday biome.)

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And the other thing is that most players (players, not forum members) actually don't seem to name their dragons. 

To be fair, isn't it very possible that a lot of that does have to do with name exclusivity? I mean, as I said before I love the satisfaction of grabbing names I like, but I'm also very much aware of what a process it is. As a result, about half of the dragons on my scroll are unnamed (I just checked) and not out of choice as I don't collect codes. Nowadays I only name things if something really good comes to mind or if I "have" to name it so it looks nice in a lineage, because otherwise it takes too much time to find something I actually like that isn't taken since I never do letter spacing or added symbols. If even someone who likes name exclusivity names fewer dragons because of it I can only imagine how big of an impact it has on the naming habits of the tons of people who don't want to put that much effort into it.

From what I see, some people here take other people's concerns seriously and offer solutions or compromises. Some other people ignore all of that and post again their subjective reasoning, not bothering to comment on offered solutions beyond (don't like this). Interesting...

I very much agree with this suggestion and mostly see positives in it.  

In my opinion, DC has been around for too long to keep the name exclusivity. It has zero sense lore-wise (why couldn't there be two dragons with the same name? There is five people with my name in my workplace that I communicate regularly with.) and in my eyes only supports elitistic and/or guilty feeling for someone who gets to have that oh so special name, even if it might have a true and deep meaning to someone else who is now forced to ruin the spelling, add spaces, surname that doesn't always look good etc (to me that is not creativity). It also turns off new players.

However, when naming a dragon, I'd still like there to be a note or a symbol that I'm using a name that's already been used, whether it be globally or on my own scroll. Please no lock to one use of name per scroll though, I love lyrical lineages and honestly, I would love the chorus lines to be and look the same, not having spaces or numbers that trigger my OCD because it just looks wrong. 

I also wish more of TJ's thuweds were named (and new breeds added to the list) but some people claim those names before TJ names them and ruin that. This ties to an interesting idea brought up by someone earlier about being "Verified" for some special names, though not sure who would get to decide what's famous enough to require that. Maybe it could be something automatic based on how long the dragon holds that name and/or if it's the first owner of the name/was owner of the name before the exclusivity ended. That could help even the people complaining about distrusting the names if they are no longer exclusive (even though currently there is a risk as well, names can be changed, traded or the dragon killed with or without name...).

For inbred concerns, I would very much love if there was an inbred checker as part of DC tools but I'm fine if there isn't. With long lineages, I always go to check to AoND anyway, no way I could tell just by looking at names (or codes, if they are included - and if they are, I'd like this to be optional way to view lineage, like button on top or something to switch lineage views).

For people loving to use view/n/ ... personally, I rarely use this because many of my names are forced to have some workaround that makes remembering the exact name wrong. If the name exclusivity was ended and I could use normal names and this gave me a list to pick from, I could actually use it. For now I just try to type the name several ways and hope chrome whisperer remembers me opening the page some time before... I do very much like the suggestions of it listing your dragons, then all (other) dragons, also the potential link to this list from a dragon's page if it shares name with others.

And for those complaining they will lose the knowledge on who the dragon belongs to based off name if their scroll name is hidden and names are no longer exclusive... You are circumventing their wish to privacy. That is not okay and should not be used as an argument.

On the other hand, if this is deemed impossible, I'd like the name wiping for inactive people back. Me and my dragons suffered from this and I have lost many great names I was very attached too. Quite a few people who claimed the names I lost are no longer active, yet I can't get my names back. That just isn't fair. It's also why I have never gone back and named most of them again. But honestly, that's no solution, there is many reasons why this was removed and never added back, yet I and others are just still being punished by playing in the era before that and taking a break.

43 minutes ago, Alwerien said:

And for those complaining they will lose the knowledge on who the dragon belongs to based off name if their scroll name is hidden and names are no longer exclusive... You are circumventing their wish to privacy. That is not okay and should not be used as an argument.

The point here was just that I would want to avoid picking up a dragon with a lineage containing creatures owned by someone I KNOW kills them when they feel like it. With names - I know. With duplicate names - I wouldn't. I do find that hard to take, sorry.

21 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The point here was just that I would want to avoid picking up a dragon with a lineage containing creatures owned by someone I KNOW kills them when they feel like it. With names - I know. With duplicate names - I wouldn't. I do find that hard to take, sorry.

You don't know though, unless their scroll is visible, which remains an equally reliable method no matter what. Anything can be renamed at any time, so what you think you know is already no guarantee.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

. And the other thing is that most players (players, not forum members) actually don't seem to name their dragons. The only people who care about this are the people who DO name them. And either way, a big chunk of us have a lot invested in their names, and will be upset. It is a FAR bigger bone of contention than any other to date. ANY other. Because there is no way around it.

Or we stopped naming years ago because its not fun to think of a cool name, try 10-15 varients and all of them are taken. repeat for 20 mins and maybe get one whole name out of it.  Yeah, that's why people don't name.  I used to use a name generator with it spitting 50 names at a time and still couldn't get more than one or two per page.  NOT FUN! So yes, we do care and we'd like to be able to FULLY enjoy the game rather than only parts of it. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Or we stopped naming years ago because its not fun to think of a cool name, try 10-15 varients and all of them are taken. repeat for 20 mins and maybe get one whole name out of it.  Yeah, that's why people don't name.  I used to use a name generator with it spitting 50 names at a time and still couldn't get more than one or two per page.  NOT FUN! So yes, we do care and we'd like to be able to FULLY enjoy the game rather than only parts of it. Thanks.

I briefly touched on this in my post as well but I very much agree. Every now and then I want to name my dragons, majority of what I try is taken. This demotivates me and I stop trying. Eventually I try again, repeat the scenario. My boyfriend tried once and never since because it's just not fun trying and trying and constantly failing and the idea of using spaces or misspells is like stab to his eyes.

I imagine if names weren't exclusive, more people would name their dragons and picking up AP eggs with nicely named parents would be a lot less rare.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But if we name a dragon, we risk someone else using the same name - a practice we profoundly dislike. That is something we cannot get away from by avoidance and so on. Only by - not naming any more.

This seems somewhat hypocritical given that you run into basically the same issue with exclusivity and not being able to use a name at all. What loss do you suffer if another dragon is named the same? Do you actually check this often? Is it fine if it's technically different because of spacing/spelling?

2 hours ago, MissK. said:

You don't know though, unless their scroll is visible, which remains an equally reliable method no matter what. Anything can be renamed at any time, so what you think you know is already no guarantee.

I do know if I got something from them in the first place. Or if they said they had the name - people do that.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I do know if I got something from them in the first place. Or if they said they had the name - people do that.

A lot of people know my bronze tinsel is called Hypnotizing, yet I've actually renamed her a couple of times before. If you for example did not want my dragons in your lineages, and picked up an egg with a bronze tinsel not named Hypnotizing but "I don't breed shinies" or something along those lines, you wouldn't know that it was in fact my dragon. The only guaranteed method is remembering the code or checking my scroll, both of which are possible without name exclusivity. And, if tomorrow I decide to free up that name for someone else to use and they use it on a different bronze tinsel, again nobody will be the wiser.

Edited for typo.

Edited by MissK.

30 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

More than once I've posted that I got an interesting name (usually a fandom name) and had someone message me asking for a trade. If I like the trade and I'm not too attached to the name I'll take that trade. So I might post that I have the name, say, Holy Grail War (which I do) and someone comes along asking to trade it, you might see my post, make a decision based on it, but then I won't have that name anymore.

You can always bookmark dragons you know you want to avoid, or you can create a spreadsheet with the code and name, since names can always change anyway.

Again, there are pros and cons to both sides; however, since this is a this-or-that situation, and because I don't feel the pros for change strongly outweigh the pros for staying the same, I still believe we stick with the system that's been in place since the game began. 

If this DOES happen, while I'll dislike it for a laundry list of reasons, my two strongest gripes are:

1) Checking for inbreeding needs to be as easy and at-a-glance as it already is. I don't think the code showing solution is valid because a lot of people name to NOT see immersion-breaking codes (imagine reading a lyric lineage with 3848u and iuYae and the like between each line), and trying to hover or click or something to see codes sounds enormously tedious and much more time-consuming than the current system of glancing at a few names. While I'd be down for a built-in inbred checker, this has been proposed many times before and never seems to get off the ground.

2) A way to easily find dragons analogous to the view/n/ function. As I've said before, only showing dragons on YOUR scroll with the name doesn't work for me in situations where I'm double checking something about another's dragon. And yes, I get that names change and this isn't a 100% reliable way of finding dragons (which is why I normally do save the whole lineage link!), but it is a MOSTLY reliable way to do so that gets me where I need to go 95%+ of the time. Any substitute would need to do likewise.

For your point 2, the suggestion isn’t to just show your dragons, but all dragons, with yours at the top.

I imagine it’d look like this:

your dragons named x:

x

x

Other dragons named x:

x
x

Also, I imagine this would be in chronological order, so it’d be the oldest on top and youngest on the bottom. I think adding images like in a progeny view would be best, but additional info like the code would work too.

15 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

And BECAUSE there is no perfect fix and not everyone will be content no matter what's done, I'd rather stick with what's been the way of doing things ever since the game was founded. 

I'm not sure how strong this reasoning is. The issue before 2017 of rereleasing CB holidays or not was also a little overlap issue, and so if our goal is to stick with tradition, then we shouldn't have gotten back old CB holidays. Nevermind the fact that we now have biomes and not just one cave anymore.

I do think that examples such as CB holidays, more raffle winners, Frills and Old Pinks returning, etc. point to how we're progressing further from exclusivity in general in the cave. Yeah, some people still dislike we can get CB holidays from past years, but it's here. I think this suggestion is going to be the same thing; it'll be part of the progress towards moving away from more exclusive things, and yeah there will be people unhappy with it, but... oh well. That's my impression, anyway. As a key example of the discontinued breeds, how might one feel about being able to just pop into the cave and grab a Frill if they chose a Frill for HM? Probably not great.

tl;dr change happens, there will always be unhappy people with it, and since name exclusivity fits so perfectly into the progress DC is making toward eliminating exclusive things, I honestly have no doubt about name exclusivity going away someday. May not be soon, but someday for sure in my opinion.

The difference here is that unlike ANY other change we have seen, it isn't something that a player who doesn't like it can simply ignore. Don't collect Arias, don't have male pinks on your scroll, don't use teleport - easy. But this one is something that cannot be ignored. Look for your friend's dragon called Bob using view/n.Bob - and there will be others showing up. And you cannot ignore it. That is a different class of change to any that has gone before.

MAYBE if view/n/Bob is set to show only the FIRST one to be thus named and only add others if you click a second button "show more dragons called Bob". ? It might help a tiny bit.

11 hours ago, Nine said:

I must say, I really, REALLY don't want name exclusivity to change. There are only so many things to do in the game after one has collected all breeds of dragons, CBs of everything, etc., and collecting unique names is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Edited by Windy

6 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Have to agree here too. I actually have 10+ naming websites bookmarked and I've stopped using the 4 I used to use most because the vast majority of the names they gave me were already taken! Name exclusivity most definitely *does* affect how many dragons users name, how often a user names their dragons, and yes, even if a user names their dragons at all. It's simply not a fun process to undertake when 90% of the names you try are unavailable for you to use. 

23 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The difference here is that unlike ANY other change we have seen, it isn't something that a player who doesn't like it can simply ignore. Don't collect Arias, don't have male pinks on your scroll, don't use teleport - easy. But this one is something that cannot be ignored. Look for your friend's dragon called Bob using view/n.Bob - and there will be others showing up. And you cannot ignore it. That is a different class of change to any that has gone before.

MAYBE if view/n/Bob is set to show only the FIRST one to be thus named and only add others if you click a second button "show more dragons called Bob". ? It might help a tiny bit.

I'm honestly not sure how big of an issue this actually would be to the majority of users? A very large part of wanting non-exclusivity is wanting to play the way you want, on your own scroll, without interference from some other random scroll you don't even know. I think the same mindset can be applied here: Duplicate names can, and probably often *would*, be ignored if you just don't go looking for specific names on other scrolls? If you have a friend with a specific dragon, you most likely have the ability to ask/know the dragon's code, and find it that way. If you *really* *need* to see that one specific dragon, heck, go through the list of names if it's that important to you. But what you are talking about is on someone *else's* scroll, you are talking about difficulty in finding dragons that *you don't own*, which imo shouldn't be a reason to keep name exclusivity because DC has *always* leaned towards 'your scroll is yours' and 'what other players do isn't up to you' and etc etc. There is no reason, imo, that having a harder time finding *someone else's* dragon should be such a big concern. We already have ways to *hide* our dragons so others don't see them, after all. 

edit to summarize: This suggestion is about an improvement of quality for your own scroll. An improvement in playing on your own scroll. What other scrolls may or may not do, or how easy it is to find other people's dragons, shouldn't really be a factor imo. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

I'm not sure if I've commented in here before but yea I'm also going to throw in support for getting rid of name exclusivity. People who want to keep working to come up with creative names can do so, and people who get a red dragon and wanna name it Ruby can also do so. There's so many people now on the site and so many named dragons that coming up with unique names can be very frustrating. I know it's not frustrating for everyone, but it is for a good number based on this thread and people I've talked to on the side, so why not change it? Though I do support a way to see if a name is in use globally or even on your own scroll, for those who want the challenge of continuing to make unique names. That's just not for everyone though and I think that's okay.

There's been a lot of points raised about finding specific dragons or checking for inbreeding and that's all understandable, but in the end I see this very simply. Other scrolls shouldn't affect a player's actions on their own scrolls. It's one thing for other players on the site to affect breeding ratios, market prices, the AP, what's available in the biomes, etc. But other players cannot affect my ability to incubate, influence, earthquake, ward, etc my own dragons. Hence, they shouldn't affect any naming actions on my own dragons either. Simple as that.

So yes. Full support. Remove name exclusivity. I don't think the cons that will come with that outweigh the pros.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Have to agree here too. I actually have 10+ naming websites bookmarked and I've stopped using the 4 I used to use most because the vast majority of the names they gave me were already taken! Name exclusivity most definitely *does* affect how many dragons users name, how often a user names their dragons, and yes, even if a user names their dragons at all. It's simply not a fun process to undertake when 90% of the names you try are unavailable for you to use. 

I'm honestly not sure how big of an issue this actually would be to the majority of users? A very large part of wanting non-exclusivity is wanting to play the way you want, on your own scroll, without interference from some other random scroll you don't even know. I think the same mindset can be applied here: Duplicate names can, and probably often *would*, be ignored if you just don't go looking for specific names on other scrolls? If you have a friend with a specific dragon, you most likely have the ability to ask/know the dragon's code, and find it that way. If you *really* *need* to see that one specific dragon, heck, go through the list of names if it's that important to you. But what you are talking about is on someone *else's* scroll, you are talking about difficulty in finding dragons that *you don't own*, which imo shouldn't be a reason to keep name exclusivity because DC has *always* leaned towards 'your scroll is yours' and 'what other players do isn't up to you' and etc etc. There is no reason, imo, that having a harder time finding *someone else's* dragon should be such a big concern. We already have ways to *hide* our dragons so others don't see them, after all. 

edit to summarize: This suggestion is about an improvement of quality for your own scroll. An improvement in playing on your own scroll. What other scrolls may or may not do, or how easy it is to find other people's dragons, shouldn't really be a factor imo. 

I'm trying to look at this objectively and weighing the most vocal issues. By not being to name my dragons whatever I want, other players are negatively affecting my gameplay and enjoyment A LOT. Not being able to use viev/n/  while still retaining the ability to view by codes, bookmark specific dragons or  if you consider the suggestions others thought of to help your problem - pick the dragon you are looking for from a list of all the dragons with that name - does not seem to be affecting user the same way. On one hand, you simply can't name the dragon what you wish, potentially forgoing that entire aspect of the game because of the unhapiness it brings all because someone you don't even know was faster or played this game before you discovered it. Again, really unfriendly to new users.  On the other hand, you might use a workaround to get the exact same result you wanted - find specific dragon. You still have ways to reach your end goal (that are more foolproof than depending on someone never changing the dragon's name). 

Subjectively, to me it's like telling someone they can't name their child John because if you google John you only want to be able to find your or your friend's older child.

Edit: While thinking about this, I realized one thing - when name exclusivity started at the beginning of DC, it had a balancing mechanic in the auto-wiping of names on inactive scrolls. This balancing mechanic was removed without ANYTHING keeping the name exclusivity in check, thus making the situation worse and worse. It doesn't even exist in the form it was meant to have and hasn't for a long time.

Edited by Alwerien