Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

30 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

2) I think it'd be more upsetting to want to name a dragon after someone and seeing the name is taken, that's the other side of things

This a thousand times this, it sucks real bad when you can't name a memorial dragon properly. I know from experience. Its just salt in the wound.

irl people and pet names are not exclusive, why should only one person get to have a memorial to that name? Hell if I die and my friend wants to memorialize me, they probably won't be able too cause I have a Super common full name, I knew someone with near the exact name in school. 

Also (and this isn't directed only to you) but the thuweds/dorkfaces thing is getting kinda silly because it's being brought up so much. Thuwed faking already happens, nevermind the fact that real thuweds have "verified thuwed". And every time I see dorkfaces mentioned I think "lol people still care about those?" because I've not heard them mentioned in a long, long time.

Thuwed faking has been pointed out as already happening so many times but people keep bringing it up and I'm So confused.

29 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm ALWAYS having to change spelling and be creative. Since the day I joined. It didn't put me off then and it still doesn't. YMMV and clearly does. ☮️

It's not the making special, it's the identification as much as anything. Look at those lineages shown above. No way - without going to a fan site - to tell if they are inbred.

I don't consider changing spelling to be creative, just tedious. I'm glad someone enjoys it but not everyone does. There's nothing stopping you from doing that if names aren't exclusive.

Also there's lineages that are Not inbred that I couldn't tell without a fansite, because they already used all those fun letter tricks to make them Look inbred. The onsite way is to just check the code of a couple cb or 2g dragons, if the CB male's code is Hello every time it's inbred, if the g2 female's code is always Aloha its inbred, I do that all the time. I go to fansites when I don't trust that I'm clicking the right dragons, or when I just really Hope it's secretly not inbred lol.

Edited by Tinibree

3 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

I should think it's pretty telling that people who have played both this game and x other games consider a feature of this game to be a detriment and not a plus. Really, has anyone specifically joined DC because they thought, "I can't have any common names I might want? Sweet!"

At this point in DC's age it mostly locks out newbies and casuals from having most neat names they would like, which is not good for player growth of a mostly isolationist game.

This is something I wholeheartedly agree with. Obviously we're not going to "run out" of names, but even back in 2014, when I joined, it was incredibly frustrating to not be able to name my dragons just.... what I want. I've seen so many people call dragon naming tedious- like Tinibree above. Not everyone wants to be forced to change the spelling or add spaces or use 'L' instead of 'i' and so on. Sometimes people just want to name their dragons "Harry" or "Water Dragon" or "Sealeo." I feel like there is so much more creative stuff I could do if I wasn't limited by name exclusivity. I have a naming system now that almost ensures that I get an "untaken" name, but honestly, I dislike it and I'd enjoy naming much more if I didn't have to fit into a box each and every time I click "name".

Honestly I don’t think there’s really a good reason to keep name exclusivity other than TJ wants it.

The reasoning of wanting name exclusivity because a specific name is special to you doesn’t hold water to me, because any name can hold sentimental value to any one. If I wanted to name a character Harry Potter because it was a beloved series when I was a child, I suddenly don’t have complete control of the name and no one can use it, because Harry Potter can be sentimental to anyone. A better example, though, if I wanted to name a dragon Bailey after a passed dog, would that be a better reason than someone wanting to use Bailey for a passed loved one? Both reasons have sentimentality at the core, but only one person can use Bailey, and I don’t find that fair.

Which brings me to my next point, if I want to use Bailey or Harry Potter, and not Bailee/Baily/Baelea, or Harri Poter/Hari Potder/Harre Podder, I should be able to. An example, I have 1800 dragons that don’t have names. If I wanted to name them all, even with a naming scheme I’d probably run into trouble. And if you add in the fact that there are ~247 unique breeds, and If I want a unique theme for each breed, that’s a lot of themes to combine with schemes. Just straight up it’s a monumental task naming 1800 dragons, having to come up with ways to work around name exclusivity makes it daunting enough to not even try.

And then, I joined in ‘09 and gave up naming dragons pretty quickly because of name exclusivity, it’s been over 10 years since then, what about more recent newbies?

I have over 1K unamed dragons because I get sick of taking 10+ mins to name a SINGLE dragon getting the 'That name is already taken' over and over again.  It gets old fast to the point I just stopped naming my dragons.  I  HATE it because I want to name them, but I just don't feel like spending hours upon hours praying to the dragon gods that the next name I use isn't taken.  Which 99% of the time it is.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Look at those lineages shown above. No way - without going to a fan site - to tell if they are inbred.

Literally just hover over any of the dragons of the same generation in my inbred Aeon lineage and you'll see, by the URL preview in the corner, that the entire thing is siblings inbred down for twelve generations.

I know you mean "at a glance", but "no way" is exaggerating it.

12 hours ago, Keileon said:

That's why - if name exclusivity goes away - I like the idea of showing the dragon's code along with the name in the lineage (though I understand with lyrical/theme lineages this might distract from the overall appearance) - as then you'll know if you see a dragon with the code (ABCDE) in multiple generations that its inbred.

Yes, there could be an issue with similar codes (LlVER) *lowercase L used as an I here* versus (LIVER) but it's probably the best solution outside of visiting a fansite [maybe it could even be something players can toggle...I think that came up too]

While showing the code alongside the name works, I don't think it's necessary.

If it’s a lineage where everyone’s named the same or similar, I can see the benefit. It’d be cool if it was a toggable feature with the button on the page.

4 hours ago, Sextonator said:

If it’s a lineage where everyone’s named the same or similar, I can see the benefit. It’d be cool if it was a toggable feature with the button on the page.

... unless the point is to make the dragons look the same, as in my Aeon lineage, or it's a repeating line in a lyric lineage, where showing the code would ruin the effect.

I know TJ's said before he doesn't want an excess of toggles and options-to-turn-off for stuff.

Well, there's been discussion in the thread that mentions that showing codes on the lineage page could be toggled through account settings, but then for the instances where the user would want to toggle it on for that one egg, it'd be a lot of work for that one instance to turn it back on, it'd be a lot of work to pull up a fansite to check for inbreeding, and not everyone is going to think of, or even have an easy time just checking the link by hovering over it. Having the ability to toggle it if/when you need to would be best.

Would that be one of those "options" that TJ has said he doesn't want to keep adding (Forget where that came up, but it did, ages ago...)

I don't support this idea. For me, name collecting is part of the challenge and fun of DC. I love hunting for names that are not taken, especially if it's a popular character's name or a simple word. I know the majority here disagrees with me, but I feel the need to add my 2 cents.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:35 AM, Keileon said:

Literally just hover over any of the dragons of the same generation in my inbred Aeon lineage and you'll see, by the URL preview in the corner, that the entire thing is siblings inbred down for twelve generations.

Personally, I'd say finding out whether a dragon with 10 CB ancestors (of the same breed) is inbred is about as tedious as naming a dragon with a unique name. However, there are lineages with way more CB dragons of the same breed involved...

11 minutes ago, olympe said:

Personally, I'd say finding out whether a dragon with 10 CB ancestors (of the same breed) is inbred is about as tedious as naming a dragon with a unique name. However, there are lineages with way more CB dragons of the same breed involved...

Well, AoND has this handy inbred checker...https://www.allureofnds.net/NDER/Inbred

I know people don't like going off site sometimes, but it is still a good resource and not tedious at all. All you need is the dragon's code to find out if it is inbred. So if inbreeding is your concern about this suggestion it is not all that hard to figure out. You don't have to mouse over every CB dragon in the lineage.

51 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Well, AoND has this handy inbred checker...https://www.allureofnds.net/NDER/Inbred

I know people don't like going off site sometimes, but it is still a good resource and not tedious at all. All you need is the dragon's code to find out if it is inbred. So if inbreeding is your concern about this suggestion it is not all that hard to figure out. You don't have to mouse over every CB dragon in the lineage.

It's also easy to find out if a particular name is taken.

22 minutes ago, olympe said:

I'm not disputing that. In fact I haven't weighed in at all on the merits of this suggestion and am pretty much neutral on that. I was simply pointing out that difficuty in finding inbreeding is not really a good argument against it.

Edited by purplehaze

This is an interesting idea, and I think I'd like it as long as links can be kept working the same. I mostly name things things, and while name exclusivity does push me to come up with more unique names and makes it somewhat more rewarding to find a novel one, it can also be really annoying.

Just my own opinion.

I name my dragons using my scroll name as part of the name. There have been times when (NO WAY) the name was taken. On investigation, I found I had that name on my scroll already. For that reason, I prefer things remain as is.

If someone likes the name "Pinkie Cotton Candy" and this rule changes, they could name all their dragons "Pinkie Cotton Candy" and anyone liking the name could do likewise. Not that I care, but I prefer what we have.

Whether both names and codes or just names show on the lineage page doesn't matter much to me. But I do think there's a stronger argument for showing both names and codes to check, say, if a checker is inbred more easily. Of course there's the AoND inbred check, but I kind of hesitate to use something off-site as a point for something on-site.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, olympe said:

To find is TAKEN is easy.....to find an UNTAKEN one is the hard part.

I had dragons I went through 7-8 suitable names to find an untaken one (or give up on naming it)

How often you stumvle across a 10G inbreed to check? But how often you name a dragon?

Honestly, I stopped naming most of my dragons because I usually cannot keep up with it. Forget to name them as hatchlings, then have to look for them on my scroll. Yes, it has become better since we got the scroll filters, but by then, I had literally more than a thousand dragons to name. By now, it's several thousand, and I just don't feel like doing it. Dragons from special lineages still get named, and that's it.

To me, name exclusivity just make naming dragons a lot less fun, there is a limit to how mutch name you can give without relying on OoOOoO keybord spaming OoOOoO, volontary misscake and s p a c i n g   a b u s e. I get that it is to give each dragons their own identification but what's the point if the site refuse to let you give them the name you actualy want them to have? They already have a personalised ID, their name dosn't override it, so having this requirement in a game where you are expected to get attached to those pixels is a bit counter productive in my point of vew. The naming thing just get frustrating and, i am sure i am not the first to think that, make naming dragons a tedious task instead of a somwhat enjoyable feature.

Well, names can still be made unique with other methods. You want to name your dragon "Bob" after your deceased father? How about...

• My Dad Bob
  • Bob Best Father Ever
  • Bob Daddy of the Year/Decade/Century/Millenium
  • Daddy/Dad/Papa/Pa/... Bob (Whatever you actually called him)
  • In Memoriam Bob

And so on and so forth. You might add your Bob's middle initial for customization. For further customization, add the initial of the family name. Or use slightly creative spelling. Bobb, for example. Or B'ob, Bo'b or even B'o'b. A different nickname if applicable - Bobba, Bobby, whatever.

Combine these methods, and you'll get your memorial dragon for your dad named Bob - and the name even expresses more than the mere given name - your relationship to Bob and probably even what you think of him. You can further add to the memorial by describing your dragon. There are countless options, if you're willing to put in the effort. What you probably won't get is a dragon named merely "Bob" - but how much significance is in a common given name?

9 minutes ago, olympe said:

There are countless options, if you're willing to put in the effort. What you probably won't get is a dragon named merely "Bob" - but how much significance is in a common given name?

YES !