Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

16 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

Remembering thousands of names is hard too. At some point people are going to reach their limit of individual dragon names that they can remember. Its why groups are so helpful. You can sort and organize specific dragons into specific groups so then you do not need to worry about memorizing codes or names.

What is there to reclaim from inactive scrolls? Not your scroll, not your dragons, not your codes and not your names. You are not entitled to anything that another user has on their own scroll. If name exclusivity was gone then people would not fret over inactive scrolls. 

You are right that both sides of this conflict will never agree. However most if not all of the compromises I have seen in this thread are unnecessary, and more trouble than they are worth especially coding wise. So in all honesty there are only two outcomes that I see happening.

One: Nothing changes.

Two: View/n/ is removed and name exclusivity is gone. People will either adapt, rejoice or complain/leave. 

Unnecessary and more trouble than they're worth coding according to who? The compromises suggested are very valid and useful and very much a third option. 

I could ditto the inactive scroll argument. For ten years name X has been a name for MY dragon, why are you also entitled to use that name? You're right that if names aren't exclusive old scrolls aren't an issue. I like exclusives and am saying if they stay, allowing names to be claimed from long dormant scrolls is a reasonable compromise. I've been gone for long periods of time myself. I still would rather see people take a few choice names after 2+ years of me not logging in once then see me forget about the name and tie those names up forever.

Long story short, I don't think you're trying to see things from the other side's POV.

@Dragonalassa I used to describe all my dragons. Thousands of them, carefully.

What a waste of time! You can't tell from a lineage if a dragon is described and worth checking it out. Even if you can there's no in cave communication to swap stories or compliments. You have to go on forum for that. It's also a great deal more effort (again, for less reward) to describe everything versus name everything. A cool name has much more impact.

edit: it's getting hot in hereee so I'm out but if someone wants my attention @ me

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

1 minute ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Unnecessary and more trouble than they're worth coding according to who? The compromises suggested are very valid and useful and very much a third option. 

I could ditto the inactive scroll argument. For ten years name X has been a name for MY dragon, why are you also entitled to use that name? You're right that if names aren't exclusive old scrolls aren't an issue. I like exclusives and am saying if they stay, allowing names to be claimed from long dormant scrolls is a reasonable compromise. I've been gone for long periods of time myself. I still would rather see people take a few choice names after 2+ years of me not logging in once then see me forget about the name and tie those names up forever.

Long story short, I don't think you're trying to see things from the other side's POV.

Name wiping is completely different from sharing a name. Two people can be named Todd with no issues. I find that your rebuttal to name wiping does not work because again completely different from sharing a name. 

And unnecessary according to me. They would just cause more drama imo.

I feel as if you are refusing to see any other side but yours which is that you want names to be exclusive. When codes are already exclusive. When name wiping/stealing is completely different from name sharing. When plenty of people already share names with multiple strangers that they will never meet.

12 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

Name wiping is completely different from sharing a name. Two people can be named Todd with no issues. I find that your rebuttal to name wiping does not work because again completely different from sharing a name. 

And unnecessary according to me. They would just cause more drama imo.

I feel as if you are refusing to see any other side but yours which is that you want names to be exclusive. When codes are already exclusive. When name wiping/stealing is completely different from name sharing. When plenty of people already share names with multiple strangers that they will never meet.

If you think a reworked /n/ would cause drama, just try eliminating it!

I have seen the other side. That's why I've suggested compromises that I would like to see whether or not this happens. If it doesn't happen, I suggested name wiping, capitalization changes, and aliases. If it does happen, I've supported the changes to /n/ to show both the first named, any on your scroll, and then any others. I've also suggested a show codes toggle to help people look for inbreeding in lines with same named dragons.

Of course I still want name exclusives. I like things that way. But I've seen the other side and made compromise suggestions for either outcome (staying as is versus going to non exclusive). 

Humans are very different from dragon sprites that all look and act exactly the same on a website. Hence I find more value in unique names here. But as shown above, I have reached across the aisle. Do you still think I'm refusing to see any side? I've done my best to make helpful suggestions for either outcome, plus a few in between.

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

If you think a reworked /n/ would cause drama, just try eliminating it!

I have seen the other side. That's why I've suggested compromises that I would like to see whether or not this happens. If it doesn't happen, I suggested name wiping, capitalization changes, and aliases. If it does happen, I've supported the changes to /n/ to show both the first named, any on your scroll, and then any others. I've also suggested a show codes toggle to help people look for inbreeding in lines with same named dragons.

Of course I still want name exclusives. I like things that way. But I've seen the other side and made compromise suggestions for either outcome (staying as is versus going to non exclusive). 

Humans are very different from dragon sprites that all look and act exactly the same on a website. Hence I find more value in unique names here. But as shown above, I have reached across the aisle. Do you still think I'm refusing to see any side? I've done my best to make helpful suggestions for either outcome, plus a few in between.

Again codes are exclusive. Theres the exclusivity right there for sprites that look the same. 

Better to rip off the bandaid instead of letting it fester. Get rid of view/n/ and name exclusivity.  Focus on your dragons exclusive codes.

Inbreeding does not really matter in this game. I think tj said so himself if I remember right. Otherwise inbreeding would be blocked from happening at all.

Plus aond has an inbred checker iirc. No different from going onto these websites to enter your dragons into hatcheries. If you dont want inbreds on your scroll then you can simply kill them off.

Yes I do believe you are refusing to see the other side because you only suggest things that keep name exclusivity no matter how convoluted it gets. 

It's no skin off my back whatever happens with names. This is just simply my opinion on what should and could be done.

6 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

Again codes are exclusive. Theres the exclusivity right there for sprites that look the same. 

Better to rip off the bandaid instead of letting it fester. Get rid of view/n/ and name exclusivity.  Focus on your dragons exclusive codes.

Inbreeding does not really matter in this game. I think tj said so himself if I remember right. Otherwise inbreeding would be blocked from happening at all.

Plus aond has an inbred checker iirc. No different from going onto these websites to enter your dragons into hatcheries. If you dont want inbreds on your scroll then you can simply kill them off.

Yes I do believe you are refusing to see the other side because you only suggest things that keep name exclusivity no matter how convoluted it gets. 

It's no skin off my back whatever happens with names. This is just simply my opinion on what should and could be done.

Codes are very, very, very hard to remember. I can tell you the names of almost every person I've meaningfully interacted with in the last two years. I can't remember all the jumbled passwords I've used in that same time.

Inbreeding matters to players. When pairing lines caught in the AP or offered for trade I want to check for inbreeding. I'd rather have an easy way to do so on site than have to leave to do so.

I... literally said, multiple times, that if name exclusivity goes, I'd be fine with it as long as /n/ is reworked and line checking is reworked, both of which have had easily implemented strategies suggested for how to do so.

Of course I'm going to pitch for exclusivity. I like it. I'm not ever going to NOT like it. But I've reached across the aisle and asked is there anyway we can meet in the middle? If we keep exclusive names, would you like X? If we don't keep them, can we do Y?

If you can't see that I've been trying to work with other people on this, then I don't have much else to say.

5 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Codes are very, very, very hard to remember. I can tell you the names of almost every person I've meaningfully interacted with in the last two years. I can't remember all the jumbled passwords I've used in that same time.

Inbreeding matters to players. When pairing lines caught in the AP or offered for trade I want to check for inbreeding. I'd rather have an easy way to do so on site than have to leave to do so.

I... literally said, multiple times, that if name exclusivity goes, I'd be fine with it as long as /n/ is reworked and line checking is reworked, both of which have had easily implemented strategies suggested for how to do so.

Of course I'm going to pitch for exclusivity. I like it. I'm not ever going to NOT like it. But I've reached across the aisle and asked is there anyway we can meet in the middle? If we keep exclusive names, would you like X? If we don't keep them, can we do Y?

If you can't see that I've been trying to work with other people on this, then I don't have much else to say.

"meaningfully interacted". Which means that you do not and cannot remember every single name that you encountered within the last two years. As I said there is sorting with groups now to organize for breeding and lineages so that it is less likely to make a mistake. A thousand codes is just as hard to remember as a thousand names.

Inbreeding matters to SOME players. Not everyone cares. I don't care. Please be more careful in your wording because you know what you said there is not true.

You already have to leave the site to make sure your dragons will grow and not die. As I said one of those convenient hatcheries has an inbred checker. All for free. 

As for the rest of what you said

I already stated my opinions of view/n/ and other compromises. I feel that they are too much hassle and more trouble than they are worth. I understand that you want and like name exclusivity. 

ADP over the years you have had many brilliant ideas for this website and I have admired you for many of them. But this is one point that we will just never agree on. 

Inbreeding matters to players, and players only - the game puts no negativity around inbreeding, so it makes 100% sense that tools to check for that be built and maintained by players because players are the only ones who make a point to avoid it. The onus to check for, and avoid, inbreeding is always squarely on the shoulders of those who wish to avoid it. I know people want an inbreeding checker, but I feel that to have a formal one onsite would be placing emphasis on inbreeding and its avoidance that just doesn't exist in the game. 

Codes are hard to remember! But you *can* write them down to remember. There are free document programs if you don't have access to MS Office, there's notepad, there's free google drive documents and spreadsheets. My point here is there are options to help anyone keep track of codes - they may not be options you want, but they do indeed exist, and you don't need internet access to keep track of a notepad file or document.

/n/ being reworked would be fine. I would not like to keep exclusive names in any capacity, regardless of x or y or whatever: exclusivity unfairly allows players who are gone to maintain a hold on names they are no longer actively playing with. Name wiping was yeeted in the first place because everyone hated it, but that's left us instead with names stuck on inactive scrolls literally forever, which is pretty terrible for players who are active and want to name things a specific name. For me, the 'thrill' of getting a special name is far outweighed by the many I can't get because they're claimed forever by players who just aren't around anymore. 

A thought: I think tags a.k.a. aliases should be a different thread, because tags can exist whether exclusivity exists or not because tags can be used to denote things like generation when you don't have or (want to) use a generation tag. 

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

(I like how we all get into this like suggestions are actually implemented into the game more than once every five years haha. See y'all in 2025 one way or another <:') 

At any rate remember this is a discussion about GOOFY DRAGON NAMES, be chill and kind y'all)

I know this is like on the previous page now but thank you for this. This made me smile. And it's totally true, regardless of what side you are on we are arguing hypotheticals that honestly have a very slim chance of being implemented in any way at all. 

I feel the need to say (again) that people can be in favor of a site-change without it actually affecting them or benefiting them at all. I support this suggestion because of all the users it will help, those *thousands* of users who join *after* any given name is taken and at this point in the game's life any brand-new users are almost guaranteed to have to misspell or use some other work-around simply because there are sooooo many named dragons in existence at this point. I don't actually care about this suggestion for *me*. There are no names I would rush off to get if this happened, no names I'm sore I can't get now. I think this suggestion is the best for the game in general at this point in it's life, that's all. I think it will help and make the game more fun for a *lot* more users. (Heck, the game is already addictive enough for me, lol!)

I will also say, again, 'an easy way to check for inbreeding' really seems like it has nothing to do with this. It's a very very limited and full-of-caveats statement, it's only *true* under very specific circumstances. Having name exclusivity does not make it easier across the board to check for inbreeding. It only has an affect on checking for inbreeding if the lineage is short, if the name differences are obvious, etc. An argument that isn't actually true most of the time isn't a great one to use, imo. (And, as has been mentioned, inbreeding is not an on-site issue. It's a player-made issue. Features, whether current or future or changed features, should not need to take this into consideration.)

Guys I'm gonna be flat out with you here, I feel like we're going in circles. Some people like exclusivity, some people don't. Some people propose ideas of compromise. Some people shoot them down with or without reasoning. It's a becoming a cluster of ideas and anger. Please try to sit down and relax while you try to come up with ideas about this. I feel like some really really good ones have been presented and that a lot of people here are still grasping at small things feels like it's not necessary. Just relax and share your ideas. We don't have to be mad at a possible change in the site. After all, if we work together rather than fight each other, we may come up with something as many people like as possible. Not everyone will be happy and that's fine, such is the nature of these things. But please remember each of us individually are not the only ones on the site. Don't let yourselves be angry over this stuff. It's not worth it to be angry. Try to work together and have a nice alternative or solution. 

Infi sums up my opinions, +1

You can add the name to the sheet with the codes and use the name to get to the dragon that way.

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I support this suggestion because of all the users it will help, those *thousands* of users who join *after* any given name is taken and at this point in the game's life any brand-new users are almost guaranteed to have to misspell or use some other work-around simply because there are sooooo many named dragons in existence at this point.

This is a very valid point. There's thousands of users, and many of those have thousands of dragons at this point. There's only so many nice names that can be made before you get Neopets-tier names where we've got garbage like jewel_55_55.

Edited by Dragonalassa

18 minutes ago, CellyBean said:

"meaningfully interacted". Which means that you do not and cannot remember every single name that you encountered within the last two years. As I said there is sorting with groups now to organize for breeding and lineages so that it is less likely to make a mistake. A thousand codes is just as hard to remember as a thousand names.

Inbreeding matters to SOME players. Not everyone cares. I don't care. Please be more careful in your wording because you know what you said there is not true.

You already have to leave the site to make sure your dragons will grow and not die. As I said one of those convenient hatcheries has an inbred checker. All for free. 

As for the rest of what you said

I already stated my opinions of view/n/ and other compromises. I feel that they are too much hassle and more trouble than they are worth. I understand that you want and like name exclusivity. 

ADP over the years you have had many brilliant ideas for this website and I have admired you for many of them. But this is one point that we will just never agree on. 

We normally have perfectly pleasantly interactions, which is why I'm so startled and rather disappointed that, despite what I feel are my attempts to be fair and reasonable, you're second guessing everything I say. I mean:

"Please be more careful in your wording because you know what you said there is not true."

Inbreeding does matter to players. Not all of them, but a fair amount. You KNOW that. But instead of meeting me halfway, you're calling me out and saying "you know what you said there is not true" as if I was intentionally weaving some diabolical lie.

I've tried to be civil and equitable and friendly throughout the thread and I feel in turn you're nitpicking little things I say and intentionally overlooking fairly obvious points like how likely the elimination of /n and being able to easily on site check for inbreeding on site would people. It comes across as dismissive and cold. If that wasn't how you meant to come across, I apologize for taking it that way. But we DO normally have agreeable interactions with each other, while the tone in this thread has in comparison been unexpectedly uncomfortable.

Tbh I feel like ADP has been nice and civil and has clearly been trying really hard to make an acceptable compromise. Thanks.

But I still think going all or nothing would be the best and easiest outcome, simply because the pros that have been stated I feel heavily outweigh the cons, which honestly read to me as minor issues of inconvenience.

Except for the users whose enjoyment of the game involves name exclusivity.

2 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

We normally have perfectly pleasantly interactions, which is why I'm so startled and rather disappointed that, despite what I feel are my attempts to be fair and reasonable, you're second guessing everything I say. I mean:

"Please be more careful in your wording because you know what you said there is not true."

Inbreeding does matter to players. Not all of them, but a fair amount. You KNOW that. But instead of meeting me halfway, you're calling me out and saying "you know what you said there is not true" as if I was intentionally weaving some diabolical lie.

I've tried to be civil and equitable and friendly throughout the thread and I feel in turn you're nitpicking little things I say and intentionally overlooking fairly obvious points like how likely the elimination of /n and being able to easily on site check for inbreeding on site would people. It comes across as dismissive and cold. If that wasn't how you meant to come across, I apologize for taking it that way. But we DO normally have agreeable interactions with each other, while the tone in this thread has in comparison been unexpectedly uncomfortable.

That was not my intention to come across. You are right that I am being unfairly harsh on you in this thread. I apologize for it and I hope that it does not sour our relationship with one another. The years I have been gone have not been kind to me and the stress of this world as it is right now is a lot. However I should have been more aware of how I was speaking to you. Stress is not an excuse for how I was being.

I am sorry ADP. I should have had less bite in my words. You are a good person and a good friend and a wonderful contributor to this site. 

ADP has been patient and gracious and as someone who wants to see names remain as they are, she has presented the best acceptable alternative to something I honestly hope never changes. 

Please consider that name ownership is a serious part of this game for many of us.

6 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Please consider that name ownership is a serious part of this game for many of us.

I mean, I think that's the one thing we all agree on.

@dragongrrl Why is name exclusivity and name ownership so important that you would prevent not only others, but yourself from having names you might desire because someone else beat you to it?

5 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

Putting aside the differences for a moment, I think everyone in this thread can agree that names are important to them, otherwise this wouldn't be a suggestion in the first place. People care about names they have, and about names they don't and can't have because of exclusivity - in the end this is important to all of us and that's all the more reason why we should be trying to work together. 

8 hours ago, Infinis said:

A thought: I think tags a.k.a. aliases should be a different thread, because tags can exist whether exclusivity exists or not because tags can be used to denote things like generation when you don't have or (want to) use a generation tag. 

I agree with this. After thinking about it for a while, I personally don't mind the aliases suggestion, I don't even care if it's more beneficial to one side as long as everyone gets something they want in the end, but it doesn't quite seem like an alternative to the exclusivity situation. To use the most common example from this thread, the almighty /n/ link, people who don't want exclusivity use it as well. I sure do. If aliases were to be implemented instead of this suggestion, leaving a dragon unnamed to display only the alias would make the /n/ link useless, leading into the same situation that people for exclusivity want to avoid. (Unless there was a way to search for aliases but that would have to be a different link, so we would either need to remember if each name is an alias or 'proper' name, or we would need some completely different search system which kind of goes further beyond any of these suggestions.)

So, personally I still support no exclusivity as long as the /n/ link is reworked to remain functional, and possibly adding something to help with easy inbreeding checks even if it's just a toggle to display codes. Surely just that option doesn't imply inbreeding is bad if TJ is opposed to that. If getting rid of exclusivity is not possible or wanted by the majority, I would also be okay with name-swiping from inactive scrolls - at least it's something. 

2 hours ago, Sextonator said:

@dragongrrl Why is name exclusivity and name ownership so important that you would prevent not only others, but yourself from having names you might desire because someone else beat you to it?

Because when I don't get a name I want, it pushes my creativity, and that is one of the features I love in the game. I've also rarely traded the random name for an egg, and since I have no cb prizes, the names do have some value for me.

I have supported two possibilities mentioned in the thread as alternatives. I think ADP's mock-up was the best one, allowing people to use the same name with future ones in brackets, even though it would kill my ability to trade names. The creative use of upper and lower case was another possibility. These were the only two work-arounds to the issue that were acceptable to me.

I also tend to avoid lines with inbreeding, mostly by avoiding large lineages, and I appreciate the issues of those who are using whatever method necessary to detect inbreeding in very large lineages.

I am nowhere near the only person in the Cave who considers this is an important, massively game-changing suggestion, as all the arguments in this thread have shown, and that is why I do not want to lose my very minimal rights to my dragon names.

Edited by dragongrrl
Missing word

I'm sorry but imo the "be more creative" argument has stopped holding water once writing descriptions (making dragons unique is the exact purpose of descriptions) was dismissed as being too much effort. It comes off as saying "no, not that kind of creativity." I'm really trying to wrap my head around how would you be able to trade for names using just the trading hub and you usually do get compliments from people approving your descriptions, and discussing descriptions is the point of the Description Force and Approved Descriptions threads on this forum! I'm also not sure how a name would draw attention in a lineage if it's not a Thuwed, Dorkface or a lyrical...

And as many people have pointed out, aliases also seem redundant, would come with its own slew of issues, and disproportionately benefits pro-exclusivity people so it doesn't seem like much of a compromise at all.

And I'm sorry, but I find it hard to sympathize with someone who wants this redundant, unsustainable and frustrating mechanic to stay because they can profit off it.

I am saying all this as a person who has plenty of dragons named after popular games and shows. I think the "first come first serve" nature of this mechanic is unfair given how codes are already unique and users can have thousands of named dragons (I myself have well over 1,500+), no problem, which leaves newer users or those who recently decided to name their dragons far in the dust. I'm not special just because I got to a name first.

Edited by Dragonalassa

52 minutes ago, Dragonalassa said:

I'm sorry but imo the "be more creative" argument has stopped holding water once writing descriptions (making dragons unique is the exact purpose of descriptions) was dismissed as being too much effort. It comes off as saying "no, not that kind of creativity." I'm really trying to wrap my head around how would you be able to trade for names using just the trading hub and you usually do get compliments from people approving your descriptions, and discussing descriptions is the point of the Description Force and Approved Descriptions threads on this forum! I'm also not sure how a name would draw attention in a lineage if it's not a Thuwed, Dorkface or a lyrical...

Arguments don't stop holding water just because an alternative has been suggested that doesn't fill the bill for those you disagree with. And as many people have pointed out - yes, descriptions are unique - but very few people ever look at them - and they don't help at all in identifying a dragon.

Some of my names have certainly drawn attention in a lineage, BTW - I get PMs saying wow, on occasion ! Not that that is my aim in naming.

And as many people have pointed out, aliases also seem redundant, would come with its own slew of issues, and disproportionately benefits pro-exclusivity people so it doesn't seem like much of a compromise at all.

"Disproportionately benefits pro-exclusivity people" ? We are the only ones who stand to lose ANYTHING if this happens. It's more of a sop than a "benefit". You don't have to use them if you don't like them.

And I'm sorry, but I find it hard to sympathize with someone who wants this redundant, unsustainable and frustrating mechanic to stay because they can profit off it.

I'm sorry you feel so little sympathy for those of us who stand to lose something we value - but we don't see any PROFIT from it; I don't even know what you mean by that.

26 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Arguments don't stop holding water just because an alternative has been suggested that doesn't fill the bill for those you disagree with.

I'm sorry, but if multiple suggestions addressing an argument have all been shot down with either no or shaky justification, it makes it hard to believe they don't hold an all-or-nothing stance, which won't get the conversation anywhere as TJ would be the only person who can be the tiebreaker. In this case, codes and descriptions were both brought up and both have been shot down with "not good enough." What else is there to suggest regarding making a dragon stand out?

You don't have to use them if you don't like them.

Thing is, you'd still see aliases on lineages, which easily has the potential to clutter the page up. So while one might not personally use them, they'd still see others' unless they breed all of their dragons themselves.

but we don't see any PROFIT from it; I don't even know what you mean by that.

I was mostly referring to this when I said that:

5 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

I've also rarely traded the random name for an egg, and since I have no cb prizes, the names do have some value for me.

All of this is reminding me of the unconverted pet drama from Neopets and I feel the same way about this as I do there: it's all arbitrary and unsustainable, so the bandaid should be ripped off otherwise it'll continue to spring up drama and make discourse toxic. I tried to extend an olive branch with my suggestion but was utterly ignored or told "no" with absolutely zero justification, to the point where offsite I've seen jokes cracked at our expense about that little incident (i mean that comic was really funny but it also stung a bit). Naturally my patience is wearing thin.

Edited by Dragonalassa

If creativity is not an important point, then why are any of you playing this game?

The art involved, spriting, the lineage creations, the descriptions, the background stories, the names?

These are all functions of the creative life on this amazing site. Please don't take away our names.

21 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

The art involved, spriting, the lineage creations, the descriptions, the background stories, the names?

Only one of those precludes others from freely interacting with their dragons the way they want. That's the key issue.
You may think the restrictions promote creativity, but for many others it stifles it. In fact, the seemingly-restrictive guidelines are the biggest reason why I've seen people disinterested in descriptions (they really aren't that restrictive but I can understand they look daunting). I've seen plenty of people try multiple times to name their dragon but anything they could come up with was taken (since again, thousands of users, many of which have thousands of dragons, that's a lot of names), so they simply gave up.

Edited by Dragonalassa

Not everyone can trade for a name, and no one has any right to a dragon name at all.

Nabbing a name now might push you to be creative, but that doesn’t work for everyone. And it feels like it implies that coming up with something that is already taken is uncreative, which is untrue. Just because someone has thought of a name already doesn’t mean someone else is uncreative for coming up with the same name.