Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

I am definitely in favor of this. Naming things has never been a favorite thing for me to do anyways but this site makes it especially tiresome to come up with names that haven't been used yet. That's just how I feel though. I like what Infinis said about it too. I definitely agree with that feeling.

I don't really have a stake in this, for the most part - I can see the pros and cons of both keeping and removing name exclusivity, and they roughly balance evenly for me.  I suppose I'm very mildly in favour of continued name exclusivity purely from a selfish standpoint - I've gotten used to working around it and it no longer inconveniences me - but I certainly wouldn't be upset for my own sake if it were changed, especially if it makes people happy.  (I do think it'd be a shame that other people who feel more strongly about it would be upset, but some people will end up unhappy regardless of which path we take, and this isn't a situation where one answer is really logically or morally 'right' or 'wrong', from my perspective - it's just a game design philosophy choice, and a matter of preference.)

That said, I would like to see in-scroll name exclusivity, even if only as an optional account toggle (to permit duplicate naming for those who want to do it for lineage reasons).  I've had name exclusivity prevent me from naming two of my dragons the same thing in the past, and I appreciate the function it serves.

2 hours ago, Ponystar17 said:

That said, I would like to see in-scroll name exclusivity, even if only as an optional account toggle (to permit duplicate naming for those who want to do it for lineage reasons).  I've had name exclusivity prevent me from naming two of my dragons the same thing in the past, and I appreciate the function it serves.

That would be interesting. I have certainly been in a situation where I tried to name a dragon "White Gems of Lasgalen" and the name was taken, so out of curiosity I checked through the /n/ link if it was on a white dragon...only to find it was one of mine lmao. If TJ is still not a fan of too many toggles/customisation it could just be an icon like the checkmark we have now, or a line of text letting you know you already have a dragon with that name so you can pick something else if you don't like that.

I wouldn't mind a toggle for in-scroll exclusivity, but I absolutely don't want it as a mandatory feature, since it wouldn't solve the problem that lyrical lineages face (since most songs have a repeating chorus). I'm very much in favor of an icon displaying the name has been used before, though.

Yes just to be clear, I only like that idea as long as it doesn't prevent you from using duplicate names if you want to. So either have it be a feature that can be turned off, or an icon/message you can ignore if it doesn't apply.

If this suggestion is adopted, I would definitely be in favor of some sort of indicator that you already have a dragon on your scroll with that name. I might sometimes choose to go ahead with that name (particularly in a lyrical lineage) but I would most likely change up the name a bit in most cases. So I am against strict scroll exclusivity, but I would like to know if a name is duplicated so I can change it if I choose.

I am generally neutral on the suggestion itself.

Another /n/ suggestion, for people who just find it easier to memorize a name over random codes

/n/name/username

So if more than one dragon has that name, you can specify a user's scroll specifically and go to the dragon that has that name on that scroll. If multiple dragons share that name on one scroll, then it can list all the dragons that user owns that have that name.

I actually like the idea in general of being able to look up a bunch of dragons that might share a name with /n/ and use pagenation to just scroll through a bunch of bobs or karens. But I do understand people want to be able to directly link to a specific dragon using their name instead of their code, and as long as its unique to your scroll, /n/name/username would still be a direct link.

10 minutes ago, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

Another /n/ suggestion, for people who just find it easier to memorize a name over random codes

/n/name/username

So if more than one dragon has that name, you can specify a user's scroll specifically and go to the dragon that has that name on that scroll. If multiple dragons share that name on one scroll, then it can list all the dragons that user owns that have that name.

I actually like the idea in general of being able to look up a bunch of dragons that might share a name with /n/ and use pagenation to just scroll through a bunch of bobs or karens. But I do understand people want to be able to directly link to a specific dragon using their name instead of their code, and as long as its unique to your scroll, /n/name/username would still be a direct link.

How would that work with hidden scroll names?

Just now, DragonLady86 said:

How would that work with hidden scroll names?

The same way you can view named dragons on hidden scrolls now. You can still directly link to a dragon if you know it's name or code right now even if the owner's scroll is hidden.

This is merely a suggestion for users who just want to link to their dragon without memorizing a code. If you want to share a dragon without sharing your scroll name, then using the code link instead of /n/ would be the alternative. But hiding your scroll name shouldn't have an effect on the link's function, as hiding your scroll currently does not affect /n/ links.

2 hours ago, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

The same way you can view named dragons on hidden scrolls now. You can still directly link to a dragon if you know it's name or code right now even if the owner's scroll is hidden.

This is merely a suggestion for users who just want to link to their dragon without memorizing a code. If you want to share a dragon without sharing your scroll name, then using the code link instead of /n/ would be the alternative. But hiding your scroll name shouldn't have an effect on the link's function, as hiding your scroll currently does not affect /n/ links.

I do think it would change things a little bit. It's a pretty specific situation but let's say someone has their username and scroll hidden...if I find a dragon of theirs, I can't know for sure who it belongs to, even if I think it might be theirs. If I can put their username in the link and it works though, then the site confirms that it's that person's dragon. It's not a big deal to me, I'm just saying it is slightly different since some people can be very private.

I support this :o

I make lyrical lineages and repeated dragon name causes me some trouble.. 

If this idea is realized, I personally think dragon search feature would go nicely along with it. Stalking those special dragons and all hhaha.

But not quite sure how it would work with hidden scroll names and how much of a strain would it be on the server etc.

Edited by CryptidUni

I can't rmember if I posted here or not, but my mind is currently on the fence.

I don't use the /n/ pages, because uhh... meh?

Pro-non-exclusivity:

• more aestethics in dragon names (no weird spacing, no need for "ornament" characters)
  • fandom names!
  • repeating names for lineage purposes (lyrics etc)

Pro-exclusivity:

• the only argument I can see - at least from my own perspective - is nothing but personal attachment. See, some people name their dragons (or any virtual pets, in many games) after something/someone really important to them, either that be a beloved pet, a person, or even themselves. Myself, I have a habit of naming things after my avatars, and so: https://dragcave.net/view/kVswi I would love it if she remained the only dragon on the entire site named exactly that name, in the exactly that format. Or at least marked as "the original one", as a compromise. Same situation with my other pride and joy: https://dragcave.net/view/1x8Le who I would also love to remain "the one". While not an "oc/avatar" - he's named after a specific game boss, in this specific naming format, and therefore I do not own the IP in copyright sense - I just feel an emotional attachment to the very specific fictional character. However the attachment is not as strong as towards my own creations; I would've most likely not named him at all if code picking for prizes was still a thing, or if I had better luck with RNG. As if winning alone is not enough, ha ha...! ...Yeah this is a greedy territory.

tl;dr complex emotional stuff, but in the end, it's just pixels, and to make both camps happy, a compromise should be made. If such a fix eventually goes live, I won't be upset, as there are more reasonable arguments all around to get rid of exclusivity.

Edited by Orchi'dea

Definitely for the removing names from dead dragons (as long as it doesn't affect zombie dragons since I know those owners would be heartbroken.) Another one that should have been fixed a long time ago, dragons released to the wild should have names up for grabs. (It doesn't have to be immediately taken but at least let us take it if we want to.)  

I wouldn't mind the idea of making names globally available, if there was an option for breeders to request a "checkmark" beside their OG pair if the linage meets specific criteria. (X popularity, so many people wanting it, number of descendants, etc.) It would make those looking to get a legit pair much easier than having to memorize different things. JT could also make extremely well known pairs already have checks next to their name (such as his breeding pairs and Dorkface, etc.)

On 4/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, kitty41188123 said:

Definitely for the removing names from dead dragons (as long as it doesn't affect zombie dragons since I know those owners would be heartbroken.)

This would be a nonissue if it was just the ability to remove a dead dragon's name, rather than make it automatic. (Some of us make tombstone lineages on purpose)

Another one that should have been fixed a long time ago, dragons released to the wild should have names up for grabs. (It doesn't have to be immediately taken but at least let us take it if we want to.)  

Dragons already lose their names when released.

Edited by Keileon

Full Support 

Honestly I can remember when I got really into Homestuck, only to realize I couldn't name my dragon John Egbert. I got around it by doing things like I John Egbert I or I Heir of Breath I... which was fine for me, but not for everyone. Of course now I have my inspired Land of X and Y that I use for naming conventions, but back when I was SUPER into Homestuck, it would have been nice to have those fandom names. That aside, I do have a bunch of Nebulas that I used lyrics from a song to name and BOY HOWDY would I LOVE to get rid of a bunch of the random junk I had to do in order to have the repeated lyrics in there. It bothers me quite a lot really. 

I can't remember if I've replied to this thread or not. But I'd really like to see this implemented.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, kitty41188123 said:

Definitely for the removing names from dead dragons (as long as it doesn't affect zombie dragons since I know those owners would be heartbroken.

It's for that reason I wish there was a BSA for it (I mentioned it before either here on another thread, but it's in my mind to put forth a suggestion to either modify the "Remove curse" (formerly 'expunge') BSA to allow people to remove a name from a dead dragon [basically the undo button for those who have accidentally killed a named dragon] or have it be a new BSA given to another breed. That way, there's no risk of deadline lineages being messed up unless chosen to do so by the owner of said dragons)

That aside, I'm still in favor of losing name exclusivity...it would just make it so much easier for people to name their dragons [and it removes the problem some people have with seeing NaMeS l I k e 7h15]

I'm fairly new to dc but as I see it i'm slightly in favour of not having names be exclusive. I've not had much trouble naming my dragons here yet, but I played neopets for years and well let's just say tangerinarainbowdust and dietstrawberrypepsi don't make great pet names.

Pro exclusivity:

Forces some creativity, like adding surnames or clan names, or thinking of rare names or making new ones.

Allows people to have something more unique.

Non exclusivity:

Name exclusivity isn't sustainable long term if a playerbase grows or has high turnover. (neopets is a great example, good luck creating a neopet today and it having any sort of sensible name; and you can only have 5 on there per acc) on DC one can have hundreds of dragons and could want to name all of them.

It's not nescessary; they still have their codes that are unique; so even if two of the same sprite were to be named the same thing, they would still be possible to differentiate.

Can lead people to not name out of frustration, or give them names they didn't really want.

Names will get taken up by inactive accounts, so the pool of potential names gets even smaller, artificially.

It's not hard to give dragons unique names at all if you use a family name for them or use names longer than one or two words. 

4 hours ago, Windy said:

It's not hard to give dragons unique names at all if you use a family name for them or use names longer than one or two words. 

Except what if I wanted to name one of my dragons Mickey Mouse for instance. Mickey Mouse Insertscrollname, Mickey Mouse of Green Hills and Blank's Mickey Mouse are not the same thing

36 minutes ago, Chaos Rider said:

Except what if I wanted to name one of my dragons Mickey Mouse for instance. Mickey Mouse Insertscrollname, Mickey Mouse of Green Hills and Blank's Mickey Mouse are not the same thing

That's the fun part for me, hunting for unique, still available names. Otherwise I accept that I have to alter the name somehow. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm a name hunter, and that's one of my favorite parts in the game. 

2 hours ago, Windy said:

That's the fun part for me, hunting for unique, still available names. Otherwise I accept that I have to alter the name somehow. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm a name hunter, and that's one of my favorite parts in the game. 

Having just managed to snag a couple of names that I thought would be taken I agree with you that finding unique still available names is fun. Finding out that someone else has already thought of the same name that I was thinking of is fun too in a kindred spirit sort of way but that is tempered by the knowledge that I'll never be able to name my dragons that exact name though

14 hours ago, Chaos Rider said:

Having just managed to snag a couple of names that I thought would be taken I agree with you that finding unique still available names is fun. Finding out that someone else has already thought of the same name that I was thinking of is fun too in a kindred spirit sort of way but that is tempered by the knowledge that I'll never be able to name my dragons that exact name though

Yeah, I have to agree with that one, it can be immensely frustrating when somebody has already snagged a name I really want. :P

Here to again voice my massive support for yeeting name exclusivity; working on a lyrical lineage project and it truly is such a bleeping pain to have to try to find some not-horrendous looking alternate to the name you need.

The Caretaker?  Yeah, okay, expected that to be taken.  The  Caretaker with two spaces?  C a r e t a k e r?  both taken!!  This stuff is such a huge tamper to my motivations to work on any kind of lyricals in the future, ugh.