trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

8 minutes ago, betaphenylGABA said:

I believe he's referring to active cases (excluding cases in which the patient either died or recovered already) surpassing the million milestone today, and not the overall cases, which includes dead and recovered.

Ah, thank you for the clarification! I had to dig to find the stats, but we did indeed pass that today. I was thinking overall cases in my post.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Indeed - most people infected are apparently asymptomatic. As I have said before - I am fairly sure I had it early on - and there was nothing significant enough for me to do anything about it except get a scrip for eye antibiotics... On the other hand my daughter, with symptoms, tested negative. It all seems alarmingly random.

Can she test again in a few days? A lot are getting changing results.

They reckon it's something else, in her case. We'll see. She's a key worker too, like you.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Indeed - most people infected are apparently asymptomatic. As I have said before - I am fairly sure I had it early on - and there was nothing significant enough for me to do anything about it except get a scrip for eye antibiotics... On the other hand my daughter, with symptoms, tested negative. It all seems alarmingly random.

Problem is that you need to get the swab from the region where there are sufficient viruses at the time of the test (for the PCR test, that is). From what I gathered, this changes during the infection as the virus works it way from the upper respiratory tract down to the lungs and/or other organ systems.

Doing an antibody test to figure out whether you had the virus is similarly difficult as there is first a response with a fast kind of big antibodies (IgM) and then there is another type of antibodies (IgG) that builds up more slowly and is longer lasting and supposed to be the immune globulin that confers longer lasting immunity. Some antibody tests look mainly for one of the immune globulins and of course some of them can't really discern between antibodies for the different corona viruses the body already encountered.

For example, the antibody tests used at the Heinsberg study (which are the more complicated ELISA type ones that can only be done in a laboratory) are supposed to give a false positive in 1% of the cases. As in Heinsberg about 15% of the citizens seem to have been affected by the virus already, the 1% error range was not as problematic as it might be when you have a population where you only have about 1% of the people infected in general. The fast tests that can be done at home seem to be even less trustworthy so far.

So if you do an antibody test too early after an infection, it might show up negative as there wasn't enough of the  antibodies in the blood yet (they need time to build up), or you might not have had SARS-CoV-2 but some other common cold corona virus and the tests shows up wrongly positive.

And the PCR test that looks for live viruses will only show up positive if a) there is enough virus material which means they need to have had time to replicate plus b) the person doing the swap needs to do it properly and get the sample where enough of the viruses are. Towards the end of the infection, the body could have kept the virus in check so that it goes below the sensitivity level of the test (or it s just not any more in the nose and throat tissue in the number you need), while you still have symptoms and then you might get a wrong negative test, too.

I hope this make a bit of sense. ^^

Edited by Astreya

3 hours ago, betaphenylGABA said:

I believe he's referring to active cases (excluding cases in which the patient either died or recovered already) surpassing the million milestone today, and not the overall cases, which includes dead and recovered.

Yes. And she, not he. ;)

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Sarurday, May 9, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 65 active cases, while 176 people have recovered. All in all there have been 244 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..8 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 337 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6451 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

On 5/8/2020 at 1:51 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

As a heads-up to anyone who may be in Ohio, Ohio is allowing employers to report employees who don't return to work for fear of catching coronavirus. Being fearful of getting coronavirus is not enough of a reason to keep collecting unemployment, it seems. Ohio is also considering cutting off unemployment benefits to people who have been reported. Other states are already considering following suit, including North Carolina and Alabama. 

Good to know. I've been working through all of this as the retail store I'm at is considered essential. A few of my coworkers left simply because they didn't want to contract it from working and spread it to their family. I've heard that a lot of places have had that as well and in a way it created a lot more hours for the folks who decided to stay.

Ohio's unemployment fund is projected to run out at the end of the month and that's probably connected. Haven't been watching the local news lately, so it's just a guess. I can imagine a lot of states are running into the same issue. :(

There are some tech savvy people though trying to prevent people getting reported.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/8/21252185/ohio-employee-reporting-unemployment-fraud-system-spam-code

On a different note, I saw an article a little bit ago about a White House staff member being diagnosed with Covid19. This coming after Trump's valet tested positive as well. Can't say it's any surprise when the president & vp don't even wear the facemasks that their own CDC recommends. Now Dr. Fauci who's head of Trump's task force is in quarantine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/politics/white-house-coronavirus-safety.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/09/politics/fauci-modified-quarantine-coronavirus/index.html

13 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

On a different note, I saw an article a little bit ago about a White House staff member being diagnosed with Covid19. This coming after Trump's valet tested positive as well. Can't say it's any surprise when the president & vp don't even wear the facemasks that their own CDC recommends. Now Dr. Fauci who's head of Trump's task force is in quarantine.

Well, Trump is "special" don't you know.  I do think he is being testing daily, but he should still wear a mask.  

As of today, Sunday, May 10, 14:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 63 active cases, while 178 people have recovered. All in all there have been 244 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..8 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 340 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6483 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

And my bad feeling seems to be right - from what I saw in the news, people are behaving highly irresponsible now, and the R0 value rose up to about 1.1 according to the RKI: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html

I've just heard Boris Johnson speak ... *nervous, extremely nervous* ... this has the potential to mess up real bad and I have a real, real bad feeling about this. Good to know that the German data bears out my nervousness (not that, to be clear, it's in any way good that people are behaving like that, but it tallies with and is evidence for what I'm thinking)

4 hours ago, Classycal said:

Well, Trump is "special" don't you know.  I do think he is being testing daily, but he should still wear a mask.  

I agree, if for no other reason than for setting a good example for everyone.

I have not been posting too actively in this thread, just following it, but I do want to thank everyone who has been for doing so.  I feel like I'm so deeply quarantined that your words are like a breath of fresh air to me.  It's so very good to know that there is still a real world outside, with real people who are still my friends living in it.   The news reports do not feel the same.  I love you all!  :wub:

11 hours ago, Classycal said:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the administration uses the daily testing as a lame excuse for not wearing a mask. A few weeks ago Pence went into a clinic without a mask and that's pretty much how he justified it. Never mind he was going around sick rooms, shaking hands with patients.

6 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

I have not been posting too actively in this thread, just following it, but I do want to thank everyone who has been for doing so.  I feel like I'm so deeply quarantined that your words are like a breath of fresh air to me.  It's so very good to know that there is still a real world outside, with real people who are still my friends living in it.   The news reports do not feel the same.  I love you all!  :wub:

Aww... That's so sweet. 😊

I feel the same too. Lately I've been living on my own and with social distancing going on and staying at home more, this thread really makes a difference.

With U.S. states easing back on restrictions, the predictions for mortality models is going up thanks to increased mobility. 😕

While I can't control what other people do, this makes me even more determined to stay at home when I can. I don't want to be a contributing factor to more people getting sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJu18ASBzJU

35 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

With U.S. states easing back on restrictions, the predictions for mortality models is going up thanks to increased mobility. 😕

While I can't control what other people do, this makes me even more determined to stay at home when I can. I don't want to be a contributing factor to more people getting sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJu18ASBzJU

As shown on the clip, the rates are improving in New York, but that's because the residents here are working hard to follow the rules to quarantine, mask, and keep a social distance apart from others. We do have the problem that NYC and Long Island (where I live) are much more densely populated than the upstate areas which are largely mountains and/or farmland. Once mobility is increased for some areas, I think it will be confusing for some people who have been doing well so far.

Please hang in there, Daydreamer09, and stay home for your own protection as well as that of others.  :D

In Germany there were some protests against the Anti-Corona measures during the weekend (Berlin, Stuttgart...), apparently staged mainly by conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, "Reichsbürger", PEGIDA sympathisers, other right radicals, left-radicals and some other groups opposed to the government and/or democracy in general. While I wouldn't mind if they'd all infect themselves and go for their personal Darwin Awards, the problem is that these Covidiots thus endanger many others by their utter stupidity.

As of today, Monday, May 11, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 63 active cases, while 179 people have recovered. All in all there have been 245* people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..9 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 328 persons are currently quarantined.

*) The statistic was cleaned up and two persons who work in Oberhausen, but are not citizens were taken out of the number for Oberhausen)

Edited by Astreya

13 hours ago, Astreya said:

While I wouldn't mind if they'd all infect themselves and go for their personal Darwin Awards, the problem is that these Covidiots thus endanger many others by their utter stupidity.

Agreed. I don't wish death upon people, but I guess everybody has the right to risk their own life as long as it does not affect anybody else.

Sadly, Covid-19 (and other infectious diseases) does affect other people. So unfortunately we can't even say "oh good, here's a problem that will solve itself". No, we now have to deal with the virus and with the idiots who decided to include it in their questionable theories. *sigh*

Comic by Sophie Labelle:

https://twitter.com/AssignedMale/status/1259879360011612162

13 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Agreed. I don't wish death upon people

For the record as some people exist that have an uncanny knack to interpret things completely wrong - I don't wish death on any Covidiot either - I just won't shed a tear if they endanger themselves and pay the consequence of their stupidity themselves. I merely go ballistic when they endanger others who do not have the choice.

Update from me. Another one of our clients has been tested for covid today because of a "cough". We'll get results on Thursday at the earliest. If push comes to shove, some of my colleages and me will be quarantined again. I hope not. (And the lady in question is formidable, but has problems with her lungs - so she's very much at risk.)

@olympe

Poor you - that must be such a heartbreak if elderly people you care for get this drat virus! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the elderly lady will get through this with no severe problems and that you and your colleagues didn't catch the virus!

Edited by Astreya

Well, we don't even know yet if she even caught it. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

And I'm still 95% convinced I caught the virus in November...

Oh, I see. Then I will certainly hope for the best for you! And maybe you can ask to be tested with one of the ELISA antibody tests? If you really had the infection as early your body would have had time enough to develop antibodies and it might be possible to get a useful result. (On the other hand, if you got the infection that early it could have been the first virus strain and the studies theorise that it might be possible that people could be infected with the second version of the virus that is now the dominant strain even if the had the older version.)

Covid 19 Coronavirus US and Global Updates

California governor to probe Tesla reopening in defiance of health order

California Governor Gavin Newsom has said both he and local health officials would speak to officials at Tesla Inc, after the company ordered workers back on the job despite continuing coronavirus restrictions in Alameda County, where its auto plant is located. Owner and CEO Elon Musk countered that Tesla Inc would remain open, even if he was to be arrested. Meanwhile, Tesla sued the county, claiming it had no legal right to shut down the plant.

Senegal to reopen mosques and churches despite surge in cases

Senegalese President Macky Sall announced that mosques and churches can reopen and eased the other restrictions imposed to contain the disease.

Sall ordered places of worship closed back in March and imposed a dawn-to-dusk curfew. Since then, the daily pace of new cases continued to rise. Senegal has a total of 1,886 confirmed of coronavirus cases and 19 deaths

Qatar continues reopening of Industrial Area

Authorities in Qatar have continued the reopening of its Industrial Area, which was placed under complete lockdown in early March following a cluster of infections.

Last week, vehicles and individuals, including employers, employees and residents, were permitted to enter the area from Street One to Street 32 as long as they adhered to the government's safety guidelines.

Jordanian civil servants to return to work on May 26: Gov't

Jordan's cabinet has decided to allow civil servants to return to work on May 26 following a break of around two months imposed as part of measures to stem the spread of the new coronavirus, a government spokesman said.

Amjad al Adailah said that the civil servants, who comprise the bulk of Jordan's public sector, would return after a three-day Muslim Eid holiday that will mark the end of Ramadan.

All mosques in Iran to reopen on Tuesday 

All mosques in Iran will reopen on Tuesday, a further step in the government's plans to ease restrictions which aimed to contain the spread of the new coronavirus, the official IRIB news agency has reported.

Last Friday, prayer gatherings resumed in up to 180 Iranian cities and towns seen as being at low risk of coronavirus contagion after a two-month suspension, state media reported.

Denmark's Superliga to resume on May 28 says Danish League Association

Denmark's top-flight Superliga will resume on May 28 following a gap of more than two months due to the new coronavirus pandemic, the Danish League Association has said in a statement. 

On Monday, Denmark entered its second phase of reopening society after a two-month lockdown, allowing the country's top football teams to resume playing.

The League Association said the season would restart without fans in the stadiums, and that it expected the campaign to conclude with the Europe playoff games on July 29. Elsewhere in Europe, some leagues are also set to resume, with the German Bundesliga due to start on May 16.

Putin announces easing of lockdown measures in Russia

In a televised address President Vladimir Putin has said that Russia would start gradually easing coronavirus-related lockdown measures from Tuesday, but that individual regions would need to tailor their approach to varying local conditions.

Edited by StormBirdRising
fix format

France, which also plans to begin easing its tough seven-week lockdown from Monday, announced the discovery of a cluster of at least nine cases linked to a funeral in Dordogne in the south-west of the country.

A local prefect, Frédéric Perissat, said the cluster was “an illustration of what we are hoping not to live through in the next few weeks … There’s a slackening off, people gather in a group of 20 or 30 and one person contaminates others.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/global-report-covid-19-cases-rise-in-germany-as-wuhan-reports-first-infection-in-weeks

There were two more casualties of this drat virus in Oberhausen in today's bulletin. The persons belonged to the senior care home that suffered an outbreak last week, one of them a 91 year old man who died in the ASB care home and the other a 89 year old man who was treated in a hospital in the neighbouring town of Bottrop and succumbed to the disease there.

As of today, Tuesday, May 12, 09:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 55 active cases, while 184 people have recovered. All in all there have been 244 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. 9 persons are treated in hospitals. 5 persons sadly died. 320 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6928 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Update - I knew there had to be a reason that the numbers didn't really add up - the guys'n'gals from the Oberhausen website just apologised that they made some errors when adding up numbers, and the above numbers now are the correct(ed) ones.

Edited by Astreya
Some additrional info plus correction of the numbers according to the Oberhausen website.

Just found out about the death of the first person I actually knew who has died from the virus. :(  She was an elderly woman from our church. Makes it a little more personal.

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Just found out about the death of the first person I actually knew who has died from the virus. :(  She was an elderly woman from our church. Makes it a little more personal.

i'm so sorry to hear this. :( there was a man at my fellowship - somewhere in his 90s - who died the other week, they think he might have had this virus too. :(